Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good luck, Buzz  (Read 18296 times)

radome

• Team Captain
Re: Good luck, Buzz
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 03:45:15 PM »
He often talked "You don't mess with happy". It appears that his happy was messed with.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »
He often talked "You don't mess with happy". It appears that his happy was messed with.

It was. By himself.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 03:51:33 PM »

I'm sure he has a lot of voices in his head telling him conflicting things.

connie

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »
+1

Good sweet Christ is this pathetic; the SLURPER MANIFESTO if there could be one, and some really hot, steaming, nostalgic, weepy garbage.  It's sad there's still anyone willing to carry the man's water.

I feel as if I need a "Crying Games" level shower for actually believing most of the man's 400 tons of pure, grade A bulls***, and for ever having defended the bozo in this forum.  If the past season and the last 2 weeks has taught me anything, it's that I simply don't have ENOUGH cynicism--that's on me.  Thanks, Brent, for the valuable service. 

The "I'll stay as long as they'll have me", "character revealed" garbage was, and is, AN ACT, SHTICK, FLIM FLAM, AND A BIG, FAT CON.  And his success on the court, as clearly proven from this year, was clearly from superior players bailing the man out; the coaching job this season smacks of either complete fecklessness, incompetence, negligence, or all three simultaneously--a colossal turd that Al would have never submitted (or at least owned up to)--to compare him to Al is a disgusting insult, IMO.   Clearly it would have been worse next season, based on the recent PT article.  To deny Brent's horrible X and O coaching this season is deny reality.  And the use of the tired "IT" cliche was nice, in a 40-years-out-of-date, doddering sportswriter way. 

I laughed when my wife suggested that maybe Buzz was tanking the season on purpose, (pulled Burton in that BET game, played DWill 40 minutes, yo-yo'd Mayo in and out of games, started 3 functionless non-scorers) now I believe her--no coach can possibly be that f***ing dumb and willfully obstinate.  The Steve Taylor PT article was MY eye opener.  Quite frankly, Brent Williams, and HIS SCHTICK, can go straight to hell, but I'll settle for ACC flotsam. 

Quite simply, Brent Williams is a gutless coward who RAN FROM, not embraced, supervision, expectations, and responsibility, which are the core CHARACTER REVEALED attributes he demanded from his players, and would never shut up about personally.  That is simply one facet of the man's great gift for grifting and hypocrisy.  Using the Buzz Bunch segment as a feel good piece airing on CBS to leverage his image before skipping town was pretty damn revolting as well.  So yes, he was a mercenary, and yes, he has a shtick, but at the core of those two items is complete and utter hypocrisy--a big ball of nothing.

Hiding under the truly pathetic and so, SO tired catch-all excuse, "I'm not happy." (see Mad Men's Don Draper:  "THAT'S WHAT THE MONEY IS FOR!"), the man skulked out of town for a hilariously awful job, where he will be hard pressed to succeed, despite his fervent turd polishing and media bootlicking about it on his way out.  Our fan base and university bent over backwards to make Brent, "HAPPY." (Having the temerity to hire an AD and University President, no less, and God forbid there be some sort of academic standards at a major division 1 university, for shame.  And DORMS!) The man had an AD run out of town for the mere sin of talking to a f***ing newspaper, and folks rushed to poor Brent's defense merely because the AD wore a sweat stained hat that one time and graduated from a university they didn't like.  There was the comedy gold of the SMU job (again, I was dupable enough to swallow huckster Brent's line of s***) where everyone was falling over themselves to kiss the emperor's ring, writing emails, rather than telling him rightfully to f*** off and call his bluff.  I can only hope this time around, the university actually did that.  Sad.  Seriously, the man needs counseling, if he has to be begged this much after every season, and have his fine gossamer-threaded ego stroked by the administration, media, and fans.  He's not leaving for a "new challenge."  He's shirking a more high profile job with high expectations, the very definition of DUCKING a challenge.   

F*** Brent Williams, and ESPECIALLY F*** anybody who wishes this phony piece of s*** "well."  Don't go away unhappy Brent, just go away.  The only wish I have for the man is to FAIL.  On to the Wojo era.
Well that was pretty epic!  I bought the shtick, such as it was.  I have a kid that was in Buzz's Bunch and that scored a lot of points for me.  I only spoke to the man for a few minutes on several of those occasions, but he seemed sincere.  As with most I expect it was a little of column A and a bit of B.  At the end of the day, he was the coach of my alma mater.  He is not a friend or my kid's godparent.  I can appreciate what he did while he was here (except for this past year, which was just strange), and wish him well.  On to the Wojo era!
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
Well that was pretty epic!  I bought the shtick, such as it was.  I have a kid that was in Buzz's Bunch and that scored a lot of points for me.  I only spoke to the man for a few minutes on several of those occasions, but he seemed sincere.  As with most I expect it was a little of column A and a bit of B.  At the end of the day, he was the coach of my alma mater.  He is not a friend or my kid's godparent.  I can appreciate what he did while he was here (except for this past year, which was just strange), and wish him well.  On to the Wojo era!
agreed.  i prefer to trust people till they prove otherwise...otherwise you go through life like willie, and i'd rather be fooled 100x than be that angry of a man.

it seems like buzz is proving otherwise, but i honestly believe he left before he was told to leave.  can't blame him for that...and the amount of blame he deserves for wearing out his welcome is debatable...but certainly some, if not most, of his doing.  if he couldn't get along with LW and Pilarz...ok...if he can't get along with those two, and then fails with Wild/Cords...see ya.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »
+1

Good sweet Christ is this pathetic; the SLURPER MANIFESTO if there could be one, and some really hot, steaming, nostalgic, weepy garbage.  It's sad there's still anyone willing to carry the man's water.

I feel as if I need a "Crying Games" level shower for actually believing most of the man's 400 tons of pure, grade A bulls***, and for ever having defended the bozo in this forum.  If the past season and the last 2 weeks has taught me anything, it's that I simply don't have ENOUGH cynicism--that's on me.  Thanks, Brent, for the valuable service. 

The "I'll stay as long as they'll have me", "character revealed" garbage was, and is, AN ACT, SHTICK, FLIM FLAM, AND A BIG, FAT CON.  And his success on the court, as clearly proven from this year, was clearly from superior players bailing the man out; the coaching job this season smacks of either complete fecklessness, incompetence, negligence, or all three simultaneously--a colossal turd that Al would have never submitted (or at least owned up to)--to compare him to Al is a disgusting insult, IMO.   Clearly it would have been worse next season, based on the recent PT article.  To deny Brent's horrible X and O coaching this season is deny reality.  And the use of the tired "IT" cliche was nice, in a 40-years-out-of-date, doddering sportswriter way. 

I laughed when my wife suggested that maybe Buzz was tanking the season on purpose, (pulled Burton in that BET game, played DWill 40 minutes, yo-yo'd Mayo in and out of games, started 3 functionless non-scorers) now I believe her--no coach can possibly be that f***ing dumb and willfully obstinate.  The Steve Taylor PT article was MY eye opener.  Quite frankly, Brent Williams, and HIS SCHTICK, can go straight to hell, but I'll settle for ACC flotsam. 

Quite simply, Brent Williams is a gutless coward who RAN FROM, not embraced, supervision, expectations, and responsibility, which are the core CHARACTER REVEALED attributes he demanded from his players, and would never shut up about personally.  That is simply one facet of the man's great gift for grifting and hypocrisy.  Using the Buzz Bunch segment as a feel good piece airing on CBS to leverage his image before skipping town was pretty damn revolting as well.  So yes, he was a mercenary, and yes, he has a shtick, but at the core of those two items is complete and utter hypocrisy--a big ball of nothing.

Hiding under the truly pathetic and so, SO tired catch-all excuse, "I'm not happy." (see Mad Men's Don Draper:  "THAT'S WHAT THE MONEY IS FOR!"), the man skulked out of town for a hilariously awful job, where he will be hard pressed to succeed, despite his fervent turd polishing and media bootlicking about it on his way out.  Our fan base and university bent over backwards to make Brent, "HAPPY." (Having the temerity to hire an AD and University President, no less, and God forbid there be some sort of academic standards at a major division 1 university, for shame.  And DORMS!) The man had an AD run out of town for the mere sin of talking to a f***ing newspaper, and folks rushed to poor Brent's defense merely because the AD wore a sweat stained hat that one time and graduated from a university they didn't like.  There was the comedy gold of the SMU job (again, I was dupable enough to swallow huckster Brent's line of s***) where everyone was falling over themselves to kiss the emperor's ring, writing emails, rather than telling him rightfully to f*** off and call his bluff.  I can only hope this time around, the university actually did that.  Sad.  Seriously, the man needs counseling, if he has to be begged this much after every season, and have his fine gossamer-threaded ego stroked by the administration, media, and fans.  He's not leaving for a "new challenge."  He's shirking a more high profile job with high expectations, the very definition of DUCKING a challenge.   

F*** Brent Williams, and ESPECIALLY F*** anybody who wishes this phony piece of s*** "well."  Don't go away unhappy Brent, just go away.  The only wish I have for the man is to FAIL.  On to the Wojo era.

He'll hath no fury like a woman scorned.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »
"A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good."  Bazz had an abundance of each.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »
I just don't think about him. He is history and no point wasting energy on Brent.  I'm looking forward to the future and hope Wojo (aka mini-k) has what it takes to lead this team.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
+1

Wow! This is the greatest post ever and I agree with all of it!! Well done

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »
Says the king of slurpers...

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
Any chance he worked to get rid of Larry Williams, so his buyout would go down and he could slide out of town?

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2014, 08:13:43 PM »
I am sure that in buzz's mind he lived up to what he said.   He just no longer felt wanted.   The AD who signed him was gone.   The AD replacement had been a source of conflict.   He had been a vagabond his whole adult life.   His wandering eye/cheating heart nature took over after his happy was messed with.      Just like I appreciate Crean's final 4 run and 190 wins in 9 years, I appreciate Buzz's 69-39 Big East record, and his S-16, S-16, E-8 run.   I remember all of the stories about Crean that came out when he left.    This is no different.   Whenever someone leaves, there is going to be stories of disgruntled former players.     Bottom line, Buzz took less money to coach at a worse basketball school.   The only reason somebody does that is if they either (A) are told to leave or (B) is just so unhappy where he is that leaving is the only option.     Either way, thanks for your time at MU, Buzz

Exuse me? He felt Unwanted? He had $2.8 million  worth of reasons to show up work hard and deliver an honest product. He could have left any time he wanted and I wouldn't care, but he didn't have to throw the lives of the kids he recruited, under the bus along the way. That is what really soured me to the guy. Complete immaturity .

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »
+1

Completely agree

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »

I agree with this except I think there is also a sleaze factor to Buzz as well, which contradicts the scthick he tries to portray.

Can anyone give specifics on the sleaze factor?  I have heard this much more this past season than in the 5 yrs prior.  Chicos takes about Squirmy but none of that was about recruiting or public facing appearance.  I have heard a lot of things on this board that have been proven untrue:
  • possible investigation
  • the Duane Wilson did not want to redshirt
  • mayo and Buzz hate each other

Each of the players mentioned talking to Buzz about their status and why they weren't playing.  

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »

Need to check your grammar there, sweetheart. 

And it's hard to be scorned when the guy leaves for a worse gig, for less money.
But thankfully he's got pathetic sycophants like you wishing him well.  Slurp away. 

When Crean left, my reaction was, "What an a**hole."

When Buzz left, my reaction was, "F*** that guy.  Good."

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2014, 09:06:12 PM »
Can anyone give specifics on the sleaze factor?  I have heard this much more this past season than in the 5 yrs prior.  Chicos takes about Squirmy but none of that was about recruiting or public facing appearance.  I have heard a lot of things on this board that have been proven untrue:
  • possible investigation
  • the Duane Wilson did not want to redshirt
  • mayo and Buzz hate each other

Each of the players mentioned talking to Buzz about their status and why they weren't playing.  
I'm interested in this too. The Duane thing was disproven (Cadougan recommended reshirting)... there was no investigation..... Mayo may not have liked Buzz (so what)

I'm happy with our new guy, but other than the Newbill situation I'm not sure I've heard much about sleazy behavior?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2014, 09:12:43 PM »
We need some Venn diagrams (Keefe!) to see how everyone lines up.

There has to be that one scooper out there who hates TC, Buzz and Wojo!

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2014, 09:14:36 PM »
Yet there were others, like myself, who questioned him for quite some time.  Always thought he was a below average coach when it came to x's and o's and player development.  Both of those aspects were proven time and again this past season.
not directed at you specifically, but to those who did not care for Buzz all along.... what affirmation are you seeking on here so we can move past these weird solicitations for praise?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2014, 09:23:39 PM »
I just don't think about him. He is history and no point wasting energy on Brent.  I'm looking forward to the future and hope Wojo (aka mini-k) has what it takes to lead this team.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »
Need to check your grammar there, sweetheart. 

And it's hard to be scorned when the guy leaves for a worse gig, for less money.
But thankfully he's got pathetic sycophants like you wishing him well.  Slurp away. 

When Crean left, my reaction was, "What an a**hole."

When Buzz left, my reaction was, "F*** that guy.  Good."

Pathetic? You just wrote an eight paragraph diatribe about how silly old you fell for the big stranger from Texas, had his little old heart broken and is now self righteously out of his mind pissed about it. But you showed him and everybody else how much you're over him by stomping your feet and acting like a two year old, all the while lamenting the fact that you didn't listen to your wife when she told you Buzz was losing games on purpose. Lots of crazy going on in your house, tough guy. Plenty of pathetic, too. Sweetheart.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »
Pathetic? You just wrote an eight paragraph diatribe about how silly old you fell for the big stranger from Texas, had his little old heart broken and is now self righteously out of his mind pissed about it. But you showed him and everybody else how much you're over him by stomping your feet and acting like a two year old, all the while lamenting the fact that you didn't listen to your wife when she told you Buzz was losing games on purpose. Lots of crazy going on in your house, tough guy. Plenty of pathetic, too. Sweetheart.

That 8 paragraph diatribe was in response your 1 paragraph shlock, a complete 
knob slobbering job put forth, who are in a very tiny minority regarding respect for Brent
Williams.  You are fine with still being a fan of a man who went 17-15 with a team predicted to win the
conference, who had mentally checked out midway through the season, and quit on the team and university
who had done nothing except give him ample resources and the keys to the kingdom, all the while lamenting
the weakness of the conference he'd previously praised (hypocrite, again, and I mentioned the 17-15 record),
and the lack of an AD, which he very much butt hurted-ly had run out of town.  In summary, you are a big fan
of a hypocrite, quitter, and lowlife.
  Good for you.  Thanks for sharing.

Do us all a favor, book yourself the first  flight to Blacksburg, and send us all a photo of yourself kissing
Brent's ass.  It'd be just as ridiculous as your original post. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »
Guns, welcome back.  I respectfully disagree with you here.  And it's not a formality, I truly mean "respectfully." You are more than a solid poster.

That said, his shtick is that he is not a mercenary.  His quotes, his persona, his actions, all work to make it awfully tempting to draw the conclusion that "Buzz is above the fray", he is "not like Tom Crean or all of those other mercenary coaches",  "Buzz actually cares about you, me, us, DJ Newbill, Marquette/New Orleans University, etc."

I respect genuine people.  I have zero respect for phony people.  Buzz is a phony.  I certainly do not wish him personal or familial failure, but I do wish him professional failure.  I hope he fails at Virginia Tech.  Maybe it makes me a bad person, immature, whatever, but that's how I (currently) feel.

EDIT: Sorry for crashing the wish-Buzz-well nature of this thread.  Also, I feel somewhat guilty wishing someone professional failure during Lent, but...well, anyway.

Well put.  He is phony and couldn't live up to his own words. The going got tough and Buzz bailed. Not sure how he is going to get any player to buy into his shtick any more. I think you will find this is the beginning of a downward spiral for him.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »
This is a great thread with solid posts, but I sense it is about to devolve to personal attacks. How about we start refraining from that?

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
That 8 paragraph diatribe was in response your 1 paragraph shlock, a complete 
knob slobbering job put forth, who are in a very tiny minority regarding respect for Brent
Williams.  You are fine with still being a fan of a man who went 17-15 with a team predicted to win the
conference, who had mentally checked out midway through the season, and quit on the team and university
who had done nothing except give him ample resources and the keys to the kingdom, all the while lamenting
the weakness of the conference he'd previously praised (hypocrite, again, and I mentioned the 17-15 record),
and the lack of an AD, which he very much butt hurted-ly had run out of town.  In summary, you are a big fan
of a hypocrite, quitter, and lowlife.
  Good for you.  Thanks for sharing.

Do us all a favor, book yourself the first  flight to Blacksburg, and send us all a photo of yourself kissing
Brent's ass.  It'd be just as ridiculous as your original post. 

Can I get an Amen!!!!

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
I've been on a self imposed vacation from Scoop, but I feel like Lenny's post was important enough for me to come back and comment.

I agree with the general sentiment of wishing Buzz good luck. No sour grapes from me.

I honestly believe that he will do well. He'll get a bunch of scrappy JUCOs and transfers, and he'll coach them up, and pull his share of upsets. It's the perfect setting for Buzz.

However, Lenny, I think you are actually making this whole thing too complex and too nuanced.

#1 Buzz is a basketball mercenary.
It's who he is. He'll do well at (insert school), and he'll move on when he wants to. He's a professional in the truest sense. He coaches basketball for money. If he doesn't like the job, he'll move on. When he gets another job, he'll put that school's pin on his jacket, change his twitter picture, and BOOM, he's a new man! It's who he is. NOTE: THIS DOESN'T MAKE HIM A BAD PERSON OR MEAN FANS SHOULDN'T LIKE HIM. 

#2 Buzz has a schtick. He plays dumb a lot (he's not dumb), he likes to paint himself and his team as underdogs constantly. He talks about family, faith, etc. It's not an "act", but it's not an accident either. He's very calculated in how he presents himself, and how he is perceived. NOTE: THIS DOESN'T MAKE HIM A BAD PERSON OR MEAN FANS SHOULDN'T LIKE HIM.

If we all accept these 2 things, then everything else will just fall away. "Mess with happy", "it factor", "relationships", "dead end job" whatever you want. It can all be answered by remembering 2 things:

Buzz is a basketball mercenary. Buzz has a coaching schtick. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Best of luck, coach Williams.

+1
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset