'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If Martin is the Next Coach: What are Expectations  (Read 11567 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: If Martin is the Next Coach: What are Expectations
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
Or a moronic one...

Yeah, I mean that dude needs to have some.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »
Without knowing who will be on the roster next season it's hard to say. If he brings in a commensurate level of talent he has at Tennessee, the trend will be downward in a couple of seasons.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »
Uh oh..... are you going to pull a Buzz and transfer?  

haha, no, just saying life at MU goes on. I'll be here next year no matter what, finishing my my last year
MU15

chapman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 05:11:10 PM »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 05:11:24 PM »
I get that you're being a dick, and I sense we will get this from you ad infinitum for the foreseeable future, but if we had a top 20 KenPom offense & defense for the first four consecutive years, we would have several deep tournament runs to correspond. So I don't exactly know why you would sarcastically dismiss it or act like that wouldn't be a good thing... unless you don't really know what you're saying, which I'm not ruling out...

Top 20 Ken Pom offense and defensive rankings have nothing to do with deep tourney runs.  Being the top 20 in both, means you're an elite team.  Tennessee was the sole exception with some bad losses this past year.  They played inconsistently, and that is the sign of a poor coach. Obviously, they were talented.... but that talent didn't show up all the time.  I want a coach who has his guys inspired and ready to go each night.  

brandx

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »
I'll take a stab at Year 1: 15-17 overall. 7-11 in conference. No NCAA. No NIT.

Do you have any positive thoughts in life when you're NOT on scoop? You may be the most consistently negative person I have encountered.

brandx

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »
This thread tho.

you guys are a bunch of dick bags.

+10000

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 05:15:23 PM »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »
Since everyone else failed to answer the question.

Year 1 - Minimum NIT while dealing with turnover. Bubble team.
Year 2 - back in the dance. Win a game
Year 3 - sweet 16 contender annually. Where Buzz had us before this season.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
Do you have any positive thoughts in life when you're NOT on scoop? You may be the most consistently negative person I have encountered.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 05:31:40 PM »
Top 20 Ken Pom offense and defensive rankings have nothing to do with deep tourney runs.  Being the top 20 in both, means you're an elite team.  Tennessee was the sole exception with some bad losses this past year.  They played inconsistently, and that is the sign of a poor coach. Obviously, they were talented.... but that talent didn't show up all the time.  I want a coach who has his guys inspired and ready to go each night.  

About 3-5 teams per year have both a top 20 offense and defense. Not coincidentally, every national champion since 2003 when the data is available shares this trait. This is not, and never will be, anything but a good thing. You can either sound dumb by continuing to deride it, or you could look at the final four, see that Florida is the only team remaining that falls into this category, and go make yourself some money!

EDIT: Looking at the past 4 years not including this year, 18 teams fall under the top 20 O/D category. 4 were national champions, 2 made the final 4, 6 made the E8, 3 made the S16, 3 made the R32.

Since you don't seem to be too good at the maths, 22% are national champions, 33% make the final 4 or better, 67% make the E8 or better, and 83% make the S16 or better.

I'll be generous and say that an average of 5 teams per year have a top 20 O/D. That amounts to ~1.5% of all of division 1.

Having a top 20 KenPom O/D is 1.) rare, and 2.) highly desirable

Keep posting it as an insult though, it makes you look real smart brah.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:39:54 PM by Jajuannaman »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
About 3-5 teams per year have both a top 20 offense and defense. Not coincidentally, every national champion since 2003 when the data is available shares this trait. This is not, and never will be, anything but a good thing. You can either sound dumb by continuing to deride it, or you could look at the final four, see that Florida is the only team remaining that falls into this category, and go make yourself some money!

I'm not deriding it.  My point is that if you're top 20 in both categories, you're an elite team.  Tennessee didn't play like one the whole year.  They never beat a top 25 or 30 team for that matter.  The question is...... why??? Take a look at the coaching......   

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »
I'm not deriding it.  My point is that if you're top 20 in both categories, you're an elite team.  Tennessee didn't play like one the whole year.  They never beat a top 25 or 30 team for that matter.  The question is...... why??? Take a look at the coaching......   

They beat 1 seed Virginia by 35. Christ you're dumb.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 05:41:58 PM »
Expectations for the next coach should be the same no matter who it is
1) be playing for the 2nd round of the NCAA
2) Beat Wisconsin.

It might not happen in the first season but after that, the above are the expectations

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 05:44:23 PM »
They beat 1 seed Virginia by 35. Christ you're dumb.

Virginia wasn't ranked at the time and wasn't the same team that finished the season.  Context is key. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 05:45:56 PM »
I'll take a stab at Year 1: 15-17 overall. 7-11 in conference. No NCAA. No NIT.

Year 2: 18-13 overall, 9-9 conference, NIT
Year 3: 19-13 overall, 10-8 conference, NIT

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 05:49:24 PM »
The way the last 10 days have gone, my only expectation would be that Tennessee would announce their hiring of Shaka Smart within 3 days of MU announcing the hiring of Martin

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »
If our incredibly talented freshman stick around and get playing time, I don't think the future is nearly as bleak as everyone is making it out to be.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »
The way the last 10 days have gone, my only expectation would be that Tennessee would announce their hiring of Shaka Smart within 3 days of MU announcing the hiring of Martin

For the former that would be a no brain #donedeal, but for the latter that would also be, though lamentingly, a #donedeal.
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 06:30:06 PM »
Before Year 1: Retain 7/9 of returning players. Retain 3/4 signed recruits. Bonus points for retain Harris, Noskowiak, or Flory. Fill any vacancies with Jucos/late signees/transfers.
Year 1: Fringe bubble team. NIT berth. Finish with an above .500 conference record.
Year 2: Return to the NCAA. Top 4 conference finish.
Year 3: High seed in the NCAA. Top 2 conference finish. Ranked in the top 25.
Every year: Recruit at the level to which we've become accustomed...higher if possible. Represent the Warriors well. Develop players both on and off the floor.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »

I streamed Gary Parish's show today and he had Wes Rucker(from 247) on and I'm pretty sure they said Smart might not even take the call from UT.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »
NCAA appearance every year and two Top 100's recruits , including one near the Top 50.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2014, 07:45:28 PM »
Virginia wasn't ranked at the time and wasn't the same team that finished the season.  Context is key. 

They were 22 in the computers at the time. Who cares where ignorant voters had them?

Here are Virginia's losses this year:

By 2 to #9 MSU, by 3 to #19 VCU & @ #78 UWGB, by 4 @ #12 Duke, by 6 in OT @ #41 Maryland, by 10 @ #6 UW. Then by 35 @ #7 Tennessee. Face it, they trounced an excellent team.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »

Bringo!!

Steve Brule

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
They were 22 in the computers at the time. Who cares where ignorant voters had them?

Here are Virginia's losses this year:

By 2 to #9 MSU, by 3 to #19 VCU & @ #78 UWGB, by 4 @ #12 Duke, by 6 in OT @ #41 Maryland, by 10 @ #6 UW. Then by 35 @ #7 Tennessee. Face it, they trounced an excellent team.

It makes a difference where they were in the computers at the time.  Look on ESPN.com ... UVA wasn't ranked when Tennessee beat them.  they Beat them on Dec. 30 which is the first 1/3 of the season.  Most teams don't start to gel until February.  I guarantee this...  Teams are much more mature in March than December.  There's a huge difference.  Not to mention, UVA's last 4 games before playing Tennessee, they were 2-2.  Obviously, they weren't playing their best ball of the season. 

feedback