[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For the Martin backers, if UT doesn't make the play-in game.....  (Read 18812 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: For the Martin backers, if UT doesn't make the play-in game.....
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »
If Enfield doesn’t make the sweet 16 does he get the USC job? If Pearl doesn’t make the sweet 16 does he get the UT job?

If Groce doesn’t make the sweet 16 does he get the Illinois job?

I think you have to look at everything…….

And have any of these guys impressed you since taking their tourney success and jumping to the next job?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 11:01:38 AM »
Actually, a couple of five-star guys: Robert Hubbs and Jarnell Stokes.
Two in three years is better than Buzz (one in six) and Crean (zero in nine) did here.

Anyhow, if we're asking the play-in question of Martin (which is fair) we probably should have done it as well for Shaka.

Shaka's team wasn't a play-in this year and has put 3 teams in since that one year.

On Hubbs and Stokes, is it fair to ask why a team with two 5 star players had to get in to the NCAA tournament as a play-in?  Can you imagine a 5 star recruit at MU that scored 5 points per game like Hubbs did?  I can imagine the questioning....plus only played 18 minutes a game.....sound familiar?

Honestly, the 5 star recruits I'm not super wild about.  Too many of them leaving early, prima donnas, etc. 

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »
Seriously though, what's your connection to Cuonzo?  You show up last week, and have been posting non-stop about Cuonzo ever since.  I'm starting to think you actually are Broeker drumming up support for him, or Cuonzo's agent.

Man,  first of all who is broeker? Secondly, I post because im a Marquette fan just like you.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »
You are one of the main ones saying "HELL NO" to Martin and HELL YES to HOWLAND.

Wrong, I have not said no to Martin.  I have asked some tough questions.

I'm really on the fence about him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »
For one, he will start his BEST five players. He is able to recruit 5 star players and hes a better x's and o's coach.

Well, if this is the case, I'm surprised they only got in as a play in team, especially playing in the 7th best conference in the country.

Keep convincing me...you can get me there but it just seems with your arguments for (and those of others), pretty reasonable follow-up questions tend to crop up.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »
He has improved every single year at both schools. Missouri stayed was a mess when he took over. They ended as a top 25 RPI team.

At Tennessee 7 of the 10 returning players left when he was hired. He improved every year. Upward Trajectory everywhere he has been.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
As I sit here right now, I am not a "Martin backer." Nor am I a Martin critic. I am a Marquette backer and will support the team regardless.

I can look at every single candidate -- including Shaka, whose NCAA tourney record has declined fairly significantly each year since VCU's FF run -- and pick some scabs if I want to.

I am choosing not to prejudge any of these guys. Each has strengths and weaknesses, merits and question marks.

What any of us thinks doesn't matter one iota, so why get all worked up about it? None of us knows more about each candidate and about the entire process than the decision-makers, anyway. Of course we have opinions and it's fun to express them. But saying stuff like, "If you think Martin will be a good coach you are an idiot" is dopey, ill-informed drivel. It adds nothing to the conversation.

No matter whom we select, I will support him and our basketball program. That doesn't mean I won't have opinions about recruiting, strategy, etc., as situations present themselves down the line. It just means I have learned not to stress out about things I can't control and also have learned to try not to make judgments out of ignorance.

Go Marquette!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:38:06 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 11:06:17 AM »
Shaka's team wasn't a play-in this year and has put 3 teams in since that one year.

On Hubbs and Stokes, is it fair to ask why a team with two 5 star players had to get in to the NCAA tournament as a play-in?  Can you imagine a 5 star recruit at MU that scored 5 points per game like Hubbs did?  I can imagine the questioning....plus only played 18 minutes a game.....sound familiar?

Honestly, the 5 star recruits I'm not super wild about.  Too many of them leaving early, prima donnas, etc. 

Hubbs played 12 games. He was hurt.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »
If Martin has all of our schollied and signed recruits avail to him, do we finish in the top 3 of the big east next year?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
If Enfield doesn’t make the sweet 16 does he get the USC job? If Pearl doesn’t make the sweet 16 does he get the UT job?

If Groce doesn’t make the sweet 16 does he get the Illinois job?

I think you have to look at everything…….

Of course, nature of the beast. 

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »
If Martin has all of our schollied and signed recruits avail to him, do we finish in the top 3 of the big east next year?

HELL YES!!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 11:07:52 AM »
Answer is no, a coach fired from Tennessee doesn't even fly on our radar.  

Broecker needs to get to work on figuring out how to not blame luck or the Gregorian calendar for scheduling four more 300+ RPI teams than everyone in our conference, not going against everyone pretending he knows what a good coaching candidate is (ok, not everyone since someone who must be Martin's brother showed up here last week to incessantly slurp him).

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 11:08:51 AM »
As I sit here right now, I am not a "Martin backer." Nor am I a Martin critic. I am a Marquette backer and will support the team regardless.

I can look at every single candidate -- including Shaka, whose NCAA tourney record has declined fairly significantly each year since VCU's FF run -- and pick some scabs if I want to.

I am choosing not to prejudge any of these guys. Each has strengths and weaknesses, merits and question marks.

What any of us thinks doesn't matter one I iota, so why get all worked up about it? None of us knows more about each candidate and about the entire process than the decision-makers, anyway. Of course we have opinions and it's fun to express them. But saying stuff like, "If you think Martin will be a good coach you are an idiot" is dopey, ill-informed drivel. It adds nothing to the conversation.

No matter whom we select, I will support him and our basketball program. That doesn't mean I won't have opinions about recruiting, strategy, etc., as situations present themselves down the line. It just means I have learned not to stress out about things I can't control and also have learned to try not to make judgments out of ignorance.

Go Marquette!

ONE MILLION - THIS SHOULD BE THE BASIS OF ALL COMMENTS MADE IMO

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »
Man,  first of all who is broeker? Secondly, I post because im a Marquette fan just like you.

You're a Marquette fan but you don't know Broeker? He's been our deputy athletic director for the past 6 years
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »
Hey, I resent tha...oh nevermind. TAMU sucks at basketball

Well crap, having Martin's team lose to them twice with two 5 star recruits is a little concerning.  ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »
And have any of these guys impressed you since taking their tourney success and jumping to the next job?

Way to early to make that determination

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »
Well, if this is the case, I'm surprised they only got in as a play in team, especially playing in the 7th best conference in the country.

Keep convincing me...you can get me there but it just seems with your arguments for (and those of others), pretty reasonable follow-up questions tend to crop up.

I can guarantee you he wont start Derrick Wilson..im done trying to convince you because you obviously have a preconceived notion that he cant coach

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »
You're a Marquette fan but you don't know Broeker? He's been our deputy athletic director for the past 6 years

Sorry sir for not knowing everyones names in administration.  You are a better fan than me too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »
Well crap, having Martin's team lose to them twice with two 5 star recruits is a little concerning.  ;)

And Kansas lost to TCU last year with way more than 2 five star recruits on board. And TCU makes TAMU look like worldbeaters.

Just like you can't zero in on a three game winning streak in March, you can't zero in on two bad losses.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 11:14:06 AM »
Sorry sir for not knowing everyones names in administration.  You are a better fan than me too.

Sorry, I was being a bit of a dick. I was just surprised. Broeker is in the top 3 in terms of names within the admin (concerning MBB)
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »

A Marquette fan who doesn't know who Broeker is, but thinks he/she knows the best choice for our next HC?

Thanks for the laugh.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
I can guarantee you he wont start Derrick Wilson..im done trying to convince you because you obviously have a preconceived notion that he cant coach

I don't have that opinion at all.  You're awfully sensitive.  I'm asking you to convince me.  Look, I think point guard is the most important position in college basketball and for the life of me I don't know why Buzz went down that path. 

I look at Martin's record and he seems qualified, seems competent, but so do many others.  I'm just curious why so many back him as hard as they do and if they didn't make the play-in game this year, would this discussion be going on at all?

Tennessee fans aren't dumb, they've had some good college basketball teams there off and on over the years.  I was surprised how many of them wanted him out.  The Bruce Pearl thing is understood, but as much as people here were not thrilled with Buzz this year, less than 5% wanted him gone.  That percentage seemed to be a lot higher with CM last year and this year until the end.  Why?  Is it simply because he wasn't Pearl?  Or something else?

Are these not fair questions to ask?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2014, 11:16:03 AM »
And Kansas lost to TCU last year with way more than 2 five star recruits on board. And TCU makes TAMU look like worldbeaters.

Just like you can't zero in on a three game winning streak in March, you can't zero in on two bad losses.

Fair point, that's why I put the smiley face there.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »
A Marquette fan who doesn't know who Broeker is, but thinks he/she knows the best choice for our next HC?

Thanks for the laugh.

I didn't realize that was a prereq to have an opinion on the matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:12 AM »
I didn't realize that was a prereq to have an opinion on the matter

There are no prerequisites, but it says a lot about how much someone knows about MU hoops.  Anyone who doesn't know who Broeker is hasn't been paying very close attention, so it's amazing that they would have such a strong opinion on the next HC.