[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For the Martin backers, if UT doesn't make the play-in game.....  (Read 18813 times)

VolFan

• Walk-On
Re: For the Martin backers, if UT doesn't make the play-in game.....
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
Thanks for the input.

What is Martin's personality like?  Some other Vols fan came on here saying that the guy has no fire in his belly.  Or at least he doesn't show it.  Admittedly I haven't watched a Vols game since he took over as coach, but from the little I have seen of him, he is 100% opposite of Buzz in terms of demeanor and mannerisms.

Not that his personality matters or anything, but I'm just curious.

A lot of UT fans have complained about this over the past few years.  I have never been a fan who put a lot of stock into how much emotion a coach showed on the sidelines.  However, I think Martin showed a lot more fire than a lot of UT fans gave him credit for.  Plus, I put a lot more stock in how hard players play for a coach and I cannot think of one time in the last 3 years where I thought effort was an issue (X's and O's may be a different story).  I think I remembered hearing somewhere we had never gotten a technical since he became a HC, which is pretty amazing in 6 years, and would probably definitely make him different from your former coach. 

VolFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »
Huh?
Tennessee's MPG:
1. Stokes - Martin recruit (see my earlier post and VolFan's post).
2. McRae - Pearl recruit
3. Richardson - Martin
4. Maymon - Pearl
5. Barton - Martin
6. Hubbs - Martin
7. Thompson - Martin
8. Moore - Martin

We must have very different definitions of the word "majority."

This is accurate.  Biggest misconception on Martin I have read so far is that he did it mostly with Pearl guys.  Simply not true.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:36:13 PM by VolFan »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2014, 06:21:11 PM »
Okay guys, I'm a die hard UT fan and alumni, and watch just about every second of every game and here's my take on Martin:  You will not find a higher quality person with more integrity than him.  You never have to worry about NCAA issues with him and he will say and do all the right things.  He has a great story (cancer survivor) and you cannot help but like him.

As far as coaching ability, I still think it's too early to make a definitive statement on whether or not he is a good coach.  He has some very good wins at UT (inc. beating UK by 30 plus last year and UVA by 35 this year) and some awful losses (TAMU twice this year, UTEP this year, and Austin Peay among others in past seasons).

As a recruiter, I think many of you are underrating him.  Jarnell Stokes was a 5-star, who Pearl initially recruited, but once Pearl left Stokes did not have UT on his list and not only did Martin get him to reconsider, but Stokes graduated high school a semester early and played for UT the second semester of what should have been his senior year of high school, which is unheard of.  The other 5-star is Robert Hubbs, who had a shoulder injury this year and took a medical redshirt, so way too early to judge him.  And although they are both TN guys, they are west TN guys, and for any of you who know the geography of TN, it is not exactly a hotbed for UT recruiting as a lot of these guys end up at Memphis, Ole Miss, Miss. St., Mizzou, etc.  Josh Richardson has also developed into a very good player.  I do have some concerns about some of the other recruits, but I think it is too early to pass judgment.  I will say that this notion that Martin did it almost exclusively with Pearl's players is not true.  The only 2 Pearl holdovers were McRae, who only scored 18 points total as a freshman (he averaged 18+ a game this year) and Maymon, and you guys know his story.  if anything, an argument can be made that Martin actually did well developing these guys.

I didn't sign the petition, but that's not to say that I have always been happy with Martin.  If he leaves for Marquette, then I probably won't lose any sleep as I think UT can hire someone just as good, if not better (early reports are Gregg Marshall would be a top target for UT).  However, I think Marquette could do a lot worse than Martin too (i.e. Wojo or Green Bay's HC).

That's just my 2 cents.

I'd love to see Marquette target Gregg Marshall....it wouldn't surprise me to see us sign Martin and you guys get Marshall...in fact, it would be poetic

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »
I'd love to see Marquette target Gregg Marshall....it wouldn't surprise me to see us sign Martin and you guys get Marshall...in fact, it would be poetic

Know your sick of me saying it...but he doesn't pass the sniff test
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

VolFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »
Know your sick of me saying it...but he doesn't pass the sniff test

UT interviewed him the last two times we had coaching searches and rumors are we passed on him twice, so there might be something to this.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2014, 07:40:36 PM »
Martin does have the third best record over the last three years behind only Donovan and calipari fwiw. I found that to pretty interesting even though the sec isn't the juggernaut in basketball like it is in football.

I feel that he could be a good hire. It seems as though the Tennessee fan base and administration was never behind him 100% and longed for Pearl. How tough is it to coach at a football school with not much support? I am just wondering how he would do with a clean slate, at a school that is 100% committed to the basketball program, and with more resources than were at the table in his previous stops. If he doesn't succeed it is on him. But he could very possibly be the right fit at Marquette.

Not saying he is right choice on wrong choice but I am starting to warm up to seeing him at marquette. Whomever marquette chooses, will have my 100% support and wish nothing but the best. And if that makes me a loop aid drinker so be it.