Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Watch is OVER  (Read 18222 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Shaka Watch is OVER
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
Not when VCU comes to town.  We sell out stadiums.  I think it must be our rock star coach.  You should try and get one of those.  Oh wait, you can't. You're Marquette.  You can't even compete with Virginia Tech.  

Such class in this one.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
Face it, Marquette fans. You are not good enough.  Shaka will leave one day, but it will be for Syracuse, UNC, Kentucky, or Duke.  He's not going to a has-been program like Marquette that can't even keep a school like Virginia Tech from poaching their coach.

Sounds like someone was wetting the bed with worry until recently.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
Not when VCU comes to town.  We sell out stadiums.  I think it must be our rock star coach.  You should try and get one of those.  Oh wait, you can't. You're Marquette.  You can't even compete with Virginia Tech.  

Not much to do in Richmond right now, eh? Mom keep you inside after dinner? It's ok. Maybe she'll let you go play outside tomorrow.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 06:57:23 PM »
Bummed but we all saw this coming from Monday night on.  The guy weighed his options and is gonna hold out for one of the blue bloods to open up.  Props to Shaka, can't fault him in the slightest.  Get Howland in here ASAP and I'm over this news in a minute.  Safer bet going forward with a much more polished resume than Shaka.
Yeah you can fault him. he plays this game frequently, and strung MU along. Both sides to blame, but Shaka is a dork.
let a Blue Blood take him in 5 years.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:02:45 PM by LastWarrior »
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2014, 07:01:19 PM »
Shaka better start getting out of the first round of the tourney if he wants those blue bloods to call.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »
Weird that he would call Marquette while Doc and the new Prez were flying home. Almost like that never happened. Odd.

First piece of misinformation is saying Doc and the Prez are flying home. Doc is in Dallas with the Clippers. The BS with SS has made everyone look so foolish.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2014, 07:04:13 PM »
First piece of misinformation is saying Doc and the Prez are flying home. Doc is in Dallas with the Clippers. The BS with SS has made everyone look so foolish.

Yeah. Doc may have placed a phone call at some point, but c'mon. He's got his hands full coaching the Clippers.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2014, 07:08:13 PM »
Sounds like someone was wetting the bed with worry until recently.

Honestly, I have to say I'm impressed how far negotiations got. For a guy that loves where he is at, hammering out #'s is getting pretty far. Every school wishes they had a coach that represents their ideals. As much as we slurped for Buzz, hearing some of the things that came out made it clear he thought he was larger than the University.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »
SS Marquette

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2014, 07:12:29 PM »
Not that it really matters anymore, but Roy Schmidt is going nuts over on Twitter about the whole situation.  Sounds like we won't get the full story from him ever, but here are a few choice tweets:

Roy Schmidt ‏@prepbullseye Protected Tweets  23m
These national goofs thinking they were right all along on Smart & Marquette sicken me. They knew NOTHING before today.

Answering some idiot that said he was wrong, "case closed."
Roy Schmidt ‏@prepbullseye Protected Tweets  18m
@prose121 It's closed when I say it's closed. At the time it was reported I wasn't wrong--he had accepted the job.

Roy Schmidt ‏@prepbullseye Protected Tweets  12m
What happened w/ Smart & Marquette is just a SICKENING indictment of how the coaching carousel works.

Answering someone asking if he still stood by the "Plane heading to Richmond" tweet.
Roy Schmidt ‏@prepbullseye Protected Tweets  11m
@RealEricTheRed You're goddamned right I do! It was ready to happen. Got called off when he called to turn down the offer.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »

I was in Brooklyn for the A10 final . They sold out the Barclay Center all right. Of course that was after they had closed off the 2nd tier. 8,000 compared to 15,000 at MSG for the Big East Final the night before.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 07:14:11 PM »
Not that it really matters anymore, but Roy Schmidt is going nuts over on Twitter about the whole situation.  Sounds like we won't get the full story from him ever, but here are a few choice tweets:

These national goofs thinking they were right all along on Smart & Marquette sicken me. They knew NOTHING before today.

@prose121 It's closed when I say it's closed. At the time it was reported I wasn't wrong--he had accepted the job.

What happened w/ Smart & Marquette is just a SICKENING indictment of how the coaching carousel works.

Answering someone asking if he still stood by the "Plane heading to Richmond" tweet.
@RealEricTheRed You're goddamned right I do! It was ready to happen. Got called off when he called to turn down the offer.

Well, he did just call Evan Daniels a hillbilly and said he should be shot.  Classy dude.

Wearing the clown shoes on this one big time.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »
Well, he did just call Evan Daniels a hillbilly and said he should be shot.  Classy dude.

Wearing the clown shoes on this one big time.

Yeah, that made me squirm.  Wasn't defending his personality.  It just sounds like there's an interesting story behind the last few days, if anyone ever tells it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »
No different than UCLA.  He gets the wedding gown on, and then says no.  He isn't alone, plenty of other coaches have done so.  Question is if it can ever be proven he said yes.  

It isn't a DONE DEAL until it is a DONE DEAL.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:02:54 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2014, 07:22:53 PM »
No different than UCLA.  He gets the wedding gown on, and then says no.  He isn't along, plenty of other coaches have done so.  Question is if it can ever be proven he said yes. 

It isn't a DONE DEAL until it is a DONE DEAL. 
This guy does it repeatedly. Bullseye apparently reported that he had accepted and then changed his mind. The guy is a stringer. We wasted way too much time on him. Let the next school now play the fool.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
Just because of the VCU trolls the past week I home when the Big East expands again they leave VCU to rot with St. Bonnies and La Salle when we poach SLU and Dayton.

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2014, 07:26:53 PM »

Lol you mad bro???

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
Just because of the VCU trolls the past week I home when the Big East expands again they leave VCU to rot with St. Bonnies and La Salle when we poach SLU and Dayton.

I was about to post the exact same thing...

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »

He's a pretty reputable dude to be going this nuts. Maybe he was on to something. Maybe today's update presser was truly a "placement hold" until this morning when Shaka called it off at the alter.

The biggest issue is that any coach we hire, will know that the wedding ring they are wearing was meant to be for someone else. Is that something Howland will be down with? You start to have to climb down the ladder to get to someone that is willing to overlook being second fiddle.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »

RyanConroy

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
I believe him. The state of sports media is an absolute disgrace. And Evan Daniels is a POS.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »

Or maybe the Big East poaches Richmond and pumps some TV time and TV bucks into that program.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2014, 07:33:01 PM »

Lol you mad bro???

Lot of people got burned big time on this one....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »

Lol you mad bro???

Thats pretty nasty, unprofessional stuff. Really uncalled for, but like I said in earlier threads, all these guys care about is being the first one to break a story.  Journalism resume bolsters.  

Wait till IWB or someone else says Diamond Stone is a Done Deal to MU.  

feedback