[Today at 07:43:43 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:05:12 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: VTech  (Read 15362 times)

mhendrick

• Starter
VTech
« on: March 23, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
Wow they sure don't seem to care about Buzz or basketball very much. Looking at there forum and there is only
1 thread with 11 posts on it?  Great choice Buzz.

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: VTech
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 04:38:02 PM »
That's what sold him on the VT job....no critics.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »
Wow they sure don't seem to care about Buzz or basketball very much. Looking at there forum and there is only
It's been like that in Blacksburg as long as I've lived in VA. This is purely anecdotal, but I was in attendance for the VCU/Tech contest this year and talked to many fans throughout the arena. Most started discussing football within 30 seconds. I have many friends that attend VT and most are pretending as though they are suddenly "fans" but it's easy to see right through it.

I will say this: if Buzz can get things going down there, they really do have a great sports fanbase. Very, very passionate. Their basketball arena can get loud as he** too.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
1 thread with 11 posts on it?  Great choice Buzz.

by contrast this forum peaked with almost 15,000+ visitors Friday night.  I just checked and their are nearly 800 now.

Untucked

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »
They have been to the tourney twice in the last 28 years
Q: What's the difference between Bo Ryan and God?
A: God doesn't think he's Bo Ryan!!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »
No wonder my computer would not let me in.

VTHokiesPSULaw

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »

Um yeah that would be because good, big public institutions (especially like Virginia Tech where the fanbase is one of the best in the country)have multiple independent sites....go to techsideline.com. that's the big one. the bball message board is free, the Buzz hiring is all anyone is talking about. Even on the pay subscribers board...usually at this time it's all about spring fb practice, fb recruiting, etc. Not anymore. All the newslinks are about the Buzz hiring as well. For a 5 year stretch when Seth was the HC we had the 4th best conference record in the ACC...including 3 wins over UNC, 2 over Duke, and we beat the #1 ranked school in the country 3 times (duke, UNC and wake forest). And that was with an old school AD who really didn't care about basketball....only football. Now we have a new AD who hired Buzz away from u guys after being on the job for a month.. Imagine what we'll be able to do now that basketball will have all the resources they want-just like football. Not too bad in other sports either. We're 33 in the most  current director cup standings, and we've only been in a stable power conference in the ACC since 2004-05. Wrestling team just finished 8 th in the country at the NCAA championships, so that will probably go up. I've been reading a little of your board and sounds like there are a lot of misconceptions about VT. Understandable though, its clearly sour grapes. I'd b mad too if my school just lost one of the best bball coaches in the country, at a sport that is the major reason anyone knows about Marquette. I didn't even know you guy's were in Wisconsin. Anyway good luck in the future...hopefully the big east remains at least a decent basketball conference.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:28:50 PM »
Um yeah that would be because good, big public institutions (especially like Virginia Tech where the fanbase is one of the best in the country)have multiple independent sites....go to techsideline.com. that's the big one. the bball message board is free, the Buzz hiring is all anyone is talking about. Even on the pay subscribers board...usually at this time it's all about spring fb practice, fb recruiting, etc. Not anymore. All the newslinks are about the Buzz hiring as well. For a 5 year stretch when Seth was the HC we had the 4th best conference record in the ACC...including 3 wins over UNC, 2 over Duke, and we beat the #1 ranked school in the country 3 times (duke, UNC and wake forest). And that was with an old school AD who really didn't care about basketball....only football. Now we have a new AD who hired Buzz away from u guys after being on the job for a month.. Imagine what we'll be able to do now that basketball will have all the resources they want-just like football. Not too bad in other sports either. We're 33 in the most  current director cup standings, and we've only been in a stable power conference in the ACC since 2004-05. Wrestling team just finished 8 th in the country at the NCAA championships, so that will probably go up. I've been reading a little of your board and sounds like there are a lot of misconceptions about VT. Understandable though, its clearly sour grapes. I'd b mad too if my school just lost one of the best bball coaches in the country, at a sport that is the major reason anyone knows about Marquette. I didn't even know you guy's were in Wisconsin. Anyway good luck in the future...hopefully the big east remains at least a decent basketball conference.

You did not know we were in Wisconsin yet somehow you have a law degree?  interesting...

and I think you and me can both agree that he made a GIANT downgrade in jobs.  Even national pundits have been saying it.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »
Um yeah that would be because good, big public institutions (especially like Virginia Tech where the fanbase is one of the best in the country)have multiple independent sites....go to techsideline.com. that's the big one. the bball message board is free, the Buzz hiring is all anyone is talking about. Even on the pay subscribers board...usually at this time it's all about spring fb practice, fb recruiting, etc. Not anymore. All the newslinks are about the Buzz hiring as well. For a 5 year stretch when Seth was the HC we had the 4th best conference record in the ACC...including 3 wins over UNC, 2 over Duke, and we beat the #1 ranked school in the country 3 times (duke, UNC and wake forest). And that was with an old school AD who really didn't care about basketball....only football. Now we have a new AD who hired Buzz away from u guys after being on the job for a month.. Imagine what we'll be able to do now that basketball will have all the resources they want-just like football. Not too bad in other sports either. We're 33 in the most  current director cup standings, and we've only been in a stable power conference in the ACC since 2004-05. Wrestling team just finished 8 th in the country at the NCAA championships, so that will probably go up. I've been reading a little of your board and sounds like there are a lot of misconceptions about VT. Understandable though, its clearly sour grapes. I'd b mad too if my school just lost one of the best bball coaches in the country, at a sport that is the major reason anyone knows about Marquette. I didn't even know you guy's were in Wisconsin. Anyway good luck in the future...hopefully the big east remains at least a decent basketball conference.

It was MU's decision to drop his buyout from $2M to $100,000.  Grand larceny by VT right there.  Especially after you guys pulled the Buzz hire from under Wake and BC's feet.  Wait?  What's that?  Huh?  Oh...well, apparently they didn't make an offer to him.  Interesting.

Keep reading the board, bud--inform yourself.

EDIT:  In return for your voyage over here, I'll help you out

https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/447131053405138944

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:38:19 PM by Eldon »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »

Keep on thinking you guys are way more important than you actually are. Buzz has to compete with a lot more schools to get the local kids then he did at MU. VT hiring him is like putting perfume on a pig for a bball program of your quality.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 07:44:46 PM »

Seems as though you're playing up Tech's athletic accomplishments a little. Understandable, as that seems to be the modus operandi for you guys.

In the future, try to avoid confirming the Virginia hick stereotype through the playing of the "I don't even know where Marquette is" card. I get enough flack as it is when I tell people I live in Richmond.

Do tell - were you in attendance for the VCU game this year? With the way Tech basketball fans are suddenly emerging from the closet, I'd like to think that all of them have been following the team closely for years. Must have been tough, losing to a mid-major by 30 just up the road.

Anyway, enjoy Buzz!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 07:45:37 PM »
Yeah, good luck to you too, Coal Country Counselor. Glad you got "one of the best basketball coaches in the country". Hope you spend many evenings at the dinner table with him. He can discuss out of bounds plays he calls during timeouts. The BEast will remain a top BB conference, while ESPN with its politically correct world view directs your conference in the right direction. Or Coach K will.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 07:57:09 PM »

First, this is a basketball internet forum, so we don't really care about the VT wrestling program or the football program.  You mentioned the only reason MU is known because of basketball, well VT is only known for football.

If you had any knowledge of college basketball, then you would have known MU is in Milwaukee.

Afte Buzz left, I was one of the few who praised VT for it's fantastic campus, academics and rapid fanbase in the football program.  My son was offered a scholarship to VT to the engineering program and I visited the campus with him.  Heck, I spent an afternoon at a football game with the "Enter the Sandman" entrance and it was captivating. He did not attend VT, he went to Maryland, because he thought it was too rural and in the middle of nowhere. I have many friends who attended VT and all love the football, but they never mention the basketball program.  Ever......

Buzz will have the recruiting base in DC and Baltimore, but the inner city kids will not enjoy the remote, rural region that surrounds VT.  Homesick in a few months.  One of the reasons Greenberg/Johnson never got any of the recruits.  

The days of Dell Curry are long, long over.  VT had two ACC wins this year, both against Miami, who lost 75% of their team. Now that basketball powers Syracuse, Louisville, PITT are now in the ACC, along with Duke, UNC, NC ST., Clemson, Virginia, Fla. ST, ND and the likes, it will be a long haul for Buzz and his VT staff.  You will get absolutely clobbered in ACC play and by the time Buzz gets some recruits and maybe close to a 500% record, he will be gone.  

Good luck in football, love Beamer and the program.  But in basketball, don't set your hopes high.  Not going to happen soon.  

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 07:58:47 PM »

Buzz was good for us, but by the looks of it, we will have an upgrade by the end of this week.

Enjoy buzz. I don't think we will miss him. I guess win wins are possible

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »
First, this is a basketball internet forum, so we don't really care about the VT wrestling program or the football program.  You mentioned the only reason MU is known because of basketball, well VT is only known for football.

If you had any knowledge of college basketball, then you would have known MU is in Milwaukee.

Afte Buzz left, I was one of the few who praised VT for it's fantastic campus, academics and rapid fanbase in the football program.  My son was offered a scholarship to VT to the engineering program and I visited the campus with him.  Heck, I spent an afternoon at a football game with the "Enter the Sandman" entrance and it was captivating. He did not attend VT, he went to Maryland, because he thought it was too rural and in the middle of nowhere. I have many friends who attended VT and all love the football, but they never mention the basketball program.  Ever......

Buzz will have the recruiting base in DC and Baltimore, but the inner city kids will not enjoy the remote, rural region that surrounds VT.  Homesick in a few months.  One of the reasons Greenberg/Johnson never got any of the recruits.  

The days of Dell Curry are long, long over.  VT had two ACC wins this year, both against Miami, who lost 75% of their team. Now that basketball powers Syracuse, Louisville, PITT are now in the ACC, along with Duke, UNC, NC ST., Clemson, Virginia, Fla. ST, ND and the likes, it will be a long haul for Buzz and his VT staff.  You will get absolutely clobbered in ACC play and by the time Buzz gets some recruits and maybe close to a 500% record, he will be gone.  

Good luck in football, love Beamer and the program.  But in basketball, don't set your hopes high.  Not going to happen soon.  

If it didn't say Virginia in their name I would have no idea where it is.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
Let's find his replacement before we troll the trolls. Then I'm all in.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
You did not know we were in Wisconsin yet somehow you have a law degree?  interesting...

Hate to break it to you but there are people in Wisconsin that don't know Marquette is in Wisconsin.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »
Hate to break it to you but there are people in Wisconsin that don't know Marquette is in Wisconsin.

Shrug.

There are people in Wisconsin that couldn't find Wisconsin on a map.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 08:55:29 PM »
Can we put this thread on the wrestling board?

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 09:01:04 PM »
Wish Marquette still had a wrestling team.
apparently the 2014 ncaa championship was great.  They had a fan fest and everything, packed OKC arena.

And yes Va Tech is an excellent wrestling program. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »

There are a ton of people in this country that can't identify New York on a map.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »

Yea they are called Wisconsin Alums

VTHokiesPSULaw

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 10:07:10 PM »
Seems as though you're playing up Tech's athletic accomplishments a little. Understandable, as that seems to be the modus operandi for you guys.

In the future, try to avoid confirming the Virginia hick stereotype through the playing of the "I don't even know where Marquette is" card. I get enough flack as it is when I tell people I live in Richmond.

Do tell - were you in attendance for the VCU game this year? With the way Tech basketball fans are suddenly emerging from the closet, I'd like to think that all of them have been following the team closely for years. Must have been tough, losing to a mid-major by 30 just up the road.

Anyway, enjoy Buzz!

Well I don't live in Virginia so I can't help you out there with the hick thing. And many students at VT come from the incredibly wealthy northern VA/D.C. area...not exactly redneck country. Sounds like you may have some insecurities about living in Richmond, which I don't get because Virginia is a great state (Commonwealth)... but that's something you'll have to work on yourself. No I wasn't at the VCU game.... and no, losing to a mid major wasn't tough on me personally. It actually had zero effect on me. VCU is a much better basketball program at this point- even if they weren't, I think I could have managed to overcome such a tragedy. And I certainly agree that Buzz leaving Marquette out to dry and coach at VT was a pretty big downgrade.... But VT, being a top 25 public institution, with great academics, athletics (hiring Whit Babcock as AD was huge), a beautiful campus, etc. has a much higher ceiling, especially considering we are in the ACC, a power conference, with longterm stability (especially financially), that is not only the greatest basketball conference in history, but also a conference that is as well rounded in all division 1 sports as any other (and there's only 2 or 3 conferences in that company)... and a conference filled with top academic schools, public and private. All I'm saying is the landscape of college athletics has changed so drastically, that small private schools like Marquette, Xavier, Depaul, etc that are only known for one sport(and not the king, college football), are going to be fighting an uphill battle. Clearly one of the best coaches in college basketball leaving Marquette to come to VT is very indicative of what is going on....the power conferences will only continue to be a case of the rich getting richer....and the poor; well they appear to be in some trouble. The writing is on the wall. Next will be the power conferences completely breaking away from the NCAA. Who do you think the recruits will flock too? I completely understand being angry and people putting down Buzz and VT because the reality of the situation is difficult to accept. It is very interesting, however, to go back and read threads about Buzz before all of this happened- and the complete bitter opposite afterwards. But that's just human nature. I doubt VT and Marquette will be crossing paths too often in the future so like I said, good luck to (I was going to call you by your mascot's name but I honestly don't know it) Marquette. I hope you guys can remain relevant in basketball. And thanks again for Buzz :)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 10:10:45 PM »
You get what you earn, character revealed, its all about relationships.....Blah, blah,blah
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 10:13:49 PM »
Why do you end every sentence with an ellipses, law man?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

feedback