Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: VTech  (Read 15322 times)

WarriorDoc

• Starter
Re: VTech
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »
Well I don't live in Virginia so I can't help you out there with the hick thing. And many students at VT come from the incredibly wealthy northern VA/D.C. area...not exactly redneck country. Sounds like you may have some insecurities about living in Richmond, which I don't get because Virginia is a great state (Commonwealth)... but that's something you'll have to work on yourself. No I wasn't at the VCU game.... and no, losing to a mid major wasn't tough on me personally. It actually had zero effect on me. VCU is a much better basketball program at this point- even if they weren't, I think I could have managed to overcome such a tragedy. And I certainly agree that Buzz leaving Marquette out to dry and coach at VT was a pretty big downgrade.... But VT, being a top 25 public institution, with great academics, athletics (hiring Whit Babcock as AD was huge), a beautiful campus, etc. has a much higher ceiling, especially considering we are in the ACC, a power conference, with longterm stability (especially financially), that is not only the greatest basketball conference in history, but also a conference that is as well rounded in all division 1 sports as any other (and there's only 2 or 3 conferences in that company)... and a conference filled with top academic schools, public and private. All I'm saying is the landscape of college athletics has changed so drastically, that small private schools like Marquette, Xavier, Depaul, etc that are only known for one sport(and not the king, college football), are going to be fighting an uphill battle. Clearly one of the best coaches in college basketball leaving Marquette to come to VT is very indicative of what is going on....the power conferences will only continue to be a case of the rich getting richer....and the poor; well they appear to be in some trouble. The writing is on the wall. Next will be the power conferences completely breaking away from the NCAA. Who do you think the recruits will flock too? I completely understand being angry and people putting down Buzz and VT because the reality of the situation is difficult to accept. It is very interesting, however, to go back and read threads about Buzz before all of this happened- and the complete bitter opposite afterwards. But that's just human nature. I doubt VT and Marquette will be crossing paths too often in the future so like I said, good luck to (I was going to call you by your mascot's name but I honestly don't know it) Marquette. I hope you guys can remain relevant in basketball. And thanks again for Buzz :)

Do they teach you how to express a clear thought at that school of yours?

Even more than that--do you know what a paragraph is?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 10:19:24 PM »
Is it possible to dislocate your eyeballs from rolling your eyes?  I think I need to make an appointment for tomorrow.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 10:30:32 PM »
Well I don't live in Virginia so I can't help you out there with the hick thing. And many students at VT come from the incredibly wealthy northern VA/D.C. area...not exactly redneck country. Sounds like you may have some insecurities about living in Richmond, which I don't get because Virginia is a great state (Commonwealth)... but that's something you'll have to work on yourself. No I wasn't at the VCU game.... and no, losing to a mid major wasn't tough on me personally. It actually had zero effect on me. VCU is a much better basketball program at this point- even if they weren't, I think I could have managed to overcome such a tragedy. And I certainly agree that Buzz leaving Marquette out to dry and coach at VT was a pretty big downgrade.... But VT, being a top 25 public institution, with great academics, athletics (hiring Whit Babcock as AD was huge), a beautiful campus, etc. has a much higher ceiling, especially considering we are in the ACC, a power conference, with longterm stability (especially financially), that is not only the greatest basketball conference in history, but also a conference that is as well rounded in all division 1 sports as any other (and there's only 2 or 3 conferences in that company)... and a conference filled with top academic schools, public and private. All I'm saying is the landscape of college athletics has changed so drastically, that small private schools like Marquette, Xavier, Depaul, etc that are only known for one sport(and not the king, college football), are going to be fighting an uphill battle. Clearly one of the best coaches in college basketball leaving Marquette to come to VT is very indicative of what is going on....the power conferences will only continue to be a case of the rich getting richer....and the poor; well they appear to be in some trouble. The writing is on the wall. Next will be the power conferences completely breaking away from the NCAA. Who do you think the recruits will flock too? I completely understand being angry and people putting down Buzz and VT because the reality of the situation is difficult to accept. It is very interesting, however, to go back and read threads about Buzz before all of this happened- and the complete bitter opposite afterwards. But that's just human nature. I doubt VT and Marquette will be crossing paths too often in the future so like I said, good luck to (I was going to call you by your mascot's name but I honestly don't know it) Marquette. I hope you guys can remain relevant in basketball. And thanks again for Buzz :)

No doubt Buzz is a good coach.  We all still believe that.  The bitterness that you read about is that many of the people fell head over heels for him as a person and it turns out he was not genuine--he is an actor, as the PaintTouches article says.

I'll be honest.  This year sucked, but I was willing to ride Buzz out another year, two at the most.  However, when he left, I knew that we were in good hands.  Here's why

We have
*Tradition
*A city (MSA) of over 1.7 million people
*85 miles from Chicago
*Play in an NBA arena
*One of the best practice facilities in all of college bball
And most importantly
*A Board of Trustees that cares about basketball (including Doc Rivers)
*Donors with deeeeeeep pockets

We have chartered flights...for recruiting.  Bro, our assistant was making more than your former head coach.

Virginia Tech has produced some great economists.  A Nobel laureate in fact.  Go to the VTech econ department and ask them what "comparative advantage" means.  They will explain it to you and then you will understand why small private schools will always be able to compete with football schools in the sport of basketball.

And from the looks of things, we will be getting Ben Howland or Shaka Smart.  So, thank you for taking Buzz.

NivTastic

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
Um yeah that would be because good, big public institutions (especially like Virginia Tech where the fanbase is one of the best in the country)have multiple independent sites....go to techsideline.com. that's the big one. the bball message board is free, the Buzz hiring is all anyone is talking about. Even on the pay subscribers board...usually at this time it's all about spring fb practice, fb recruiting, etc. Not anymore. All the newslinks are about the Buzz hiring as well. For a 5 year stretch when Seth was the HC we had the 4th best conference record in the ACC...including 3 wins over UNC, 2 over Duke, and we beat the #1 ranked school in the country 3 times (duke, UNC and wake forest). And that was with an old school AD who really didn't care about basketball....only football. Now we have a new AD who hired Buzz away from u guys after being on the job for a month.. Imagine what we'll be able to do now that basketball will have all the resources they want-just like football. Not too bad in other sports either. We're 33 in the most  current director cup standings, and we've only been in a stable power conference in the ACC since 2004-05. Wrestling team just finished 8 th in the country at the NCAA championships, so that will probably go up. I've been reading a little of your board and sounds like there are a lot of misconceptions about VT. Understandable though, its clearly sour grapes. I'd b mad too if my school just lost one of the best bball coaches in the country, at a sport that is the major reason anyone knows about Marquette. I didn't even know you guy's were in Wisconsin. Anyway good luck in the future...hopefully the big east remains at least a decent basketball conference.

Please tell me English wasn't your undergraduate degree.  The enter key is a pretty cool resource.

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 11:40:40 PM »
Um yeah that would be because good, big public institutions (especially like Virginia Tech where the fanbase is one of the best in the country)have multiple independent sites....go to techsideline.com. that's the big one. the bball message board is free, the Buzz hiring is all anyone is talking about. Even on the pay subscribers board...usually at this time it's all about spring fb practice, fb recruiting, etc. Not anymore. All the newslinks are about the Buzz hiring as well. For a 5 year stretch when Seth was the HC we had the 4th best conference record in the ACC...including 3 wins over UNC, 2 over Duke, and we beat the #1 ranked school in the country 3 times (duke, UNC and wake forest). And that was with an old school AD who really didn't care about basketball....only football. Now we have a new AD who hired Buzz away from u guys after being on the job for a month.. Imagine what we'll be able to do now that basketball will have all the resources they want-just like football. Not too bad in other sports either. We're 33 in the most  current director cup standings, and we've only been in a stable power conference in the ACC since 2004-05. Wrestling team just finished 8 th in the country at the NCAA championships, so that will probably go up. I've been reading a little of your board and sounds like there are a lot of misconceptions about VT. Understandable though, its clearly sour grapes. I'd b mad too if my school just lost one of the best bball coaches in the country, at a sport that is the major reason anyone knows about Marquette. I didn't even know you guy's were in Wisconsin. Anyway good luck in the future...hopefully the big east remains at least a decent basketball conference.
Went to the web site of your recamendation; not much on there about basketball, or Buzz

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »
Um yeah that would be because good, big public institutions (especially like Virginia Tech where the fanbase is one of the best in the country)have multiple independent sites....go to techsideline.com. that's the big one. the bball message board is free, the Buzz hiring is all anyone is talking about. Even on the pay subscribers board...usually at this time it's all about spring fb practice, fb recruiting, etc. Not anymore. All the newslinks are about the Buzz hiring as well. For a 5 year stretch when Seth was the HC we had the 4th best conference record in the ACC...including 3 wins over UNC, 2 over Duke, and we beat the #1 ranked school in the country 3 times (duke, UNC and wake forest). And that was with an old school AD who really didn't care about basketball....only football. Now we have a new AD who hired Buzz away from u guys after being on the job for a month.. Imagine what we'll be able to do now that basketball will have all the resources they want-just like football. Not too bad in other sports either. We're 33 in the most  current director cup standings, and we've only been in a stable power conference in the ACC since 2004-05. Wrestling team just finished 8 th in the country at the NCAA championships, so that will probably go up. I've been reading a little of your board and sounds like there are a lot of misconceptions about VT. Understandable though, its clearly sour grapes. I'd b mad too if my school just lost one of the best bball coaches in the country, at a sport that is the major reason anyone knows about Marquette. I didn't even know you guy's were in Wisconsin. Anyway good luck in the future...hopefully the big east remains at least a decent basketball conference.

Virginia Tech bragging about the strength of the ACC in basketball is like Luxembourg bragging about being in the European Union. Yeah, you're a member, but no one cares about you. You are irrelevant. Not only that, but the basketball program is second fiddle on its own campus. No thanks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:46:54 PM by Bleuteaux »

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 11:46:42 PM »

Have things gotten so bad that we're arguing with some guy from Virginia Tech? Whose big claim is that kids from the Washington area attend VT?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 11:53:46 PM »

Have things gotten so bad that we're arguing with some guy from Virginia Tech? Whose big claim is that kids from the Washington area attend VT?

I'm from Great Falls and a lot of kids from NOVA go to VPI. It's not a bad engineering school

Death on call

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 11:54:41 PM »
It just hit me isn't Virginia Tech where that guy who killed all those dogs went to school- Michael Vick. He was their big starr. He said dog fighting was just part of the culture down their.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 11:55:18 PM »
I hope you guys can remain relevant in basketball. And thanks again for Buzz :)

I think we heard this exact same line from Hoosier fans after Crean left for Indiana.  Since that time Marquette's program has been more successful than Indiana's.

Will history repeat itself?  We shall see.

Georgetown, Virginia, VCU, George Washington, Richmond... all of these programs are better than yours right now.  Buzz has his work cut out for him. He is a good coach so he will most likely make Virginia Tech relevant again.

But comparing Marquette to Virginia Tech ?  Just worry about leapfrogging those five in-state programs first.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:57:07 PM by MarquetteDano »

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 12:00:15 AM »
I understand that the theme song for West Virginia is : Take Me Home Country Roads.... And VT theme song is the theme song from DELIVERANCE...

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 12:02:29 AM »
It was MU's decision to drop his buyout from $2M to $100,000....

https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/447131053405138944

it reads to me like it wasnt just an MU decision, but a clause stating that if the AD leaves his buyout drops, no? possibly something Burt's people wrote in.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 12:05:44 AM »
make Virginia Tech relevant again.

Again??

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 12:07:03 AM »
it reads to me like it wasnt just an MU decision, but a clause stating that if the AD leaves his buyout drops, no? possibly something Burt's people wrote in.

I suppose that could be.  "Hey if you guys fire the AD, my buyout drops in case I want to bail"

Well, in any case, we let the AD go, prompting the lower bailout

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 12:30:05 AM »
This poster really makes me hope that MU sets up a home and home with VT so we can kick their sorry asses to the curb. VT cant even sniff Marquettes jock when it comes to comparing basketball programs.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 12:38:12 AM »
Again??

LOL... have to be careful about throwing out those "again's" just anyplace.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 12:39:03 AM »
Before Buzz's hire, the only thing I knew about VT basketball was Ace Custis and the phantom foul called on Faisal Abraham during the NIT championship game.

I looked at their previous basketball record. It's ironic that they're hoping we stay relevant in basketball since they field a team that can rarely get out of the bottom of the ACC barrel.
SS Marquette

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 01:04:42 AM »

First of all, nice conspiracy theory. Good luck to you. The ACC is set up to be the best conference in basketball I'll admit but I don't think the gap is as large as you think it is, especially to pull some kind of coup on the NCAA. It may take a couple years but the new Big East will catch up eventually, I hope.

Second, believe it or not, I'm really not on the "I think Buzz is a phony" train. Look, the guy left and we won't know for certain why. But I don't think, as a person, he is some kind of master of deception. He has values that probably don't include getting the biggest paycheck. He loves his family and wants what is best for them. Of course he isn't the perfect coach, not even close, but I loved him during his tenure here and I wish him success at VT (although it probably won't happen for a long while if at all).

People idolized him when he was at Marquette landing sweet sixteens and an elite eight, dancing on opponent courts after games (WV two step), and throwing out sound bite after sound bite for the media. So when he left suddenly for what seems to be for no logical reason, it was a bigger let down for those of us who held him in high regard. If we idolize someone eventually they let us down and we then demonize them. I don't like going down that road if I can help it.

Finally, I won't use your somewhat less than stellar command of the English language against you. I've seen much worse on Youtube comment sections.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 07:09:54 AM »
I've stayed away from MUScoop since all this went down, but through conversations which friends I have shared my thoughts about Tech to them...an overall lack of enthusiasm.  Growing up in the north east, a large number of friends went to Tech for school.  Not a single one has posted on social media anything regarding Buzz or Hokie bball.

There were more posts/status updates/tweets/snapchats from friends who went Syracuse, UCONN, Villanova, WVU, Penn State and UVA.  Hell, even disappointment from ND fans who have to see Buzz dancing around the court again.

Just one observation...

source?

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 07:33:33 AM »
Virginia Tech must not be that interested in basketball if they can only muster one lousy troll. I mean, come on! You have 30,000+ students. Get it together.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 07:39:48 AM »

Georgetown, Virginia, VCU, George Washington, Richmond... all of these programs are better than yours right now.

Don't sell George Mason short.

source?

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 08:02:15 AM »
Don't sell George Mason short.

There's an argument to be made for Old Dominion as well.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 08:04:07 AM »
Buzz wore out his welcome for us here at MU, but that doesn't mean that VTech should be unhappy about their get. I have no doubt that Buzz will find a way to make their program better.

It's a little sad that our fanbase can't let a happy fan of another team get away with a little gloating.

Gotta wish VTech the best of luck with Buzz :)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 08:13:05 AM »

Spoiler alert:  You aren't a lawyer.  You write like a kid in college; just a stream of thought.  And you seem to have a very high opinion of VT.

If Buzz is 'clearly one of the best coaches in college basketball' why did he just go 17-15 after being picked to win the Big East?  Additionally, why are there people coming out of the woodwork saying that Buzz was basically told to hit the road?  Why won't Buzz answer any direct question about why he left Marquette?  His best answer is because the conference changed?  Please.  If you can't see there is something more to this situation then I really hope you enjoy what you've really got in your new coach.   A total nut bag.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2014, 08:55:13 AM »
If I were at Virginia Tech I wouldn't be talking about football either.  Unranked, 8-5 on an ACC schedule that didn't include Florida State or Clemson and lost their bowl game by 30.