Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Source Told Me:"Buzz was fired (told to find something quickly)"  (Read 21129 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Why else do you take the “DePaul of the ACC” for a paycut?

Something is not right with this decision.

Source thinks it has to do with the investigation and Cords "has been expecting" this for weeks.

Anyone heard something similar?

reinko

• All American
Re: Source Told Me:"Buzz was fired (told to find something quickly)"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »
Bump

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
Did not hear anything similar, but once I processed what happened I saw this for what it was: a firing. If Marquette wanted to keep Buzz, he would almost assuredly still be the coach.

Think about it. Remember what Buzz always said: "I will be the Coach at Marquette as long as they'll have me." Are we missing the obvious and Marquette would no longer have Buzz?

Add to the fact that Buzz didn't leave for more money from a Blue Blood. He took a step up in a conference, but certainly a school with a lower profile in hoops (even if they did beat us in the NIT Finals in 1995).

Whatever the case, something here just doesn't add up and certainly doesn't "feel" right.
We Are Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »
I'll repeat what I said earlier, I think you are going to hear a lot of interesting things over the course of the next week to one month

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »
I'll repeat what I said earlier, I think you are going to hear a lot of interesting things over the course of the next week to one month

+1

Emotional reactions and rumors abound.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 06:37:13 PM »
Did not hear anything similar, but once I processed what happened I saw this for what it was: a firing. If Marquette wanted to keep Buzz, he would almost assuredly still be the coach.

Think about it. Remember what Buzz always said: "I will be the Coach at Marquette as long as they'll have me." Are we missing the obvious and Marquette would no longer have Buzz?

Add to the fact that Buzz didn't leave for more money from a Blue Blood. He took a step up in a conference, but certainly a school with a lower profile in hoops (even if they did beat us in the NIT Finals in 1995).

Whatever the case, something here just doesn't add up and certainly doesn't "feel" right.

Yeah this makes sense. Should be interesting to hear the whole story if it ever comes out.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 06:38:15 PM »

+1

This is what I heard which you said better ... MU did not want him anymore.

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »
Inquiring minds want to know now though!

Quite glad I'm here...something seemed fishy about this. I honestly am not that shocked, and after Crean left I vowed never to fall head over heels for a coach anyways. They all have bigger egos than I can trust. I'm also fairly confident the powers that be are going to make sure this program stays strong and competitive.

We are Marquette!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 06:39:43 PM »
Squirmy    8-)

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
Quote from: Heisenberg on March 18, 2014, 08:18:06 AM

Let me summarize this thread ... Buzz is going to leave because his thinks the NBE sucks?

In the history of the NCAA has a coach ever left his school because of how he perceives his conference, rather than how he perceives his team?  Crean left because Shumpert made him believe their was a recruiting ceiling here, nothing about the conference.  Brad Stevens took a better job, he jump to a storied NBA franchise.

I think this is complete BS.  If Buzz leaves its because he perceives a deficiency at MU that does not exist at his next job.  Or he takes what he beleives is clearly a better job.  That decision will never involve the perception of the conference.

You posted this in a discussion a couple of days ago.  CBS sports lists this exact line of reasoning you find as BS as the reason Buzz left.  What's your take now?  I'm curious because what if there's nothing more to this.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 06:40:04 PM »
I know we don't know anything besides rumors yet, but the whole "aw shucks" act combined with some of the confusing and sometimes boneheaded moves this season really put me off of Buzz.

We'll see in the next coming weeks.  There have simply been too many problems with the program to feel comfortable with.  Something just smells here--a pay cut, bottom feeder ACC school, and a quick bolt.  

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »
Quote from: Heisenberg on March 18, 2014, 08:18:06 AM

Let me summarize this thread ... Buzz is going to leave because his thinks the NBE sucks?

In the history of the NCAA has a coach ever left his school because of how he perceives his conference, rather than how he perceives his team?  Crean left because Shumpert made him believe their was a recruiting ceiling here, nothing about the conference.  Brad Stevens took a better job, he jump to a storied NBA franchise.

I think this is complete BS.  If Buzz leaves its because he perceives a deficiency at MU that does not exist at his next job.  Or he takes what he beleives is clearly a better job.  That decision will never involve the perception of the conference.

You posted this in a discussion a couple of days ago.  CBS sports lists this exact line of reasoning you find as BS as the reason Buzz left.  What's your take now?  I'm curious because what if there's nothing more to this.

Buzz did not leave, MU asked him to leave

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 06:43:43 PM »
If true, then I hope the MU Administration comes clean and says so.  Do not want an air of rumors hanging around the program forever.  If not true, then dismiss the rumors, all in a statement. 

For those in Milwaukee, any press conferences scheduled, etc.  BY BOTH PARTIES?????

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 06:45:20 PM »
Let's also remember Buzz's 17-15 record. "You are your record" as Bill Belicheck says.
We Are Marquette

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »

Is this the same 'source' that told you the program was under investigation that has been shown to be false?
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
Is this the same 'source' that told you the program was under investigation that has been shown to be false?

No different big donor alum

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 07:01:20 PM »
Whether there is an investigation going on or not we all know something was awry with Todd. hugs didn't want him despite his tattoo. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 07:13:19 PM »
Whether there is an investigation going on or not we all know something was awry with Todd. hugs didn't want him despite his tattoo. 

Huggins wanted Todd...recruited him hard...Todd chose MU over WVU...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Norm

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »
Sounds like spin from people upset Buzz left.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 07:26:06 PM »

Can you give us a preview?

augoman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »
I heard rumblings from a friend on the BOT earlier in the season.  Was not high on Buzz despite being on the committee that hired him.  

I'm not surprised, but disappointed.  Thought somehow Buzz would get things straightened out.

I hope there isn't  too much recruit fall-out.  

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »
At one point this year I was going to post a poll asking what would happen first, Buzz getting us to the final four or getting us on probation. I decided not to post that, since I'm not very liked around here to begin with. Also, I just went back to having another drink and forgot about posting the poll :)
MU15

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 07:32:36 PM »
Buzz thought about SMU. Ties to Gillespie. I knew one of his former neighbors who was an unceremoniously let go executive in the Milwaukee area.

I want to win above damn near all but this still hurts.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 07:33:10 PM »
At one point this year I was going to post a poll asking what would happen first, Buzz getting us to the final four or getting us on probation. I decided not to post that, since I'm not very liked around here to begin with. Also, I just went back to having another drink and forgot about posting the poll :)

My kind of girl.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 07:38:14 PM »

Well, if that is the case then we should be in good shape. Knowing you are going to dump your coach means Cords has been sniffing around for awhile now for new blood. On the other hand.......

feedback