Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Source Told Me:"Buzz was fired (told to find something quickly)"  (Read 21128 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Source Told Me:"Buzz was fired (told to find something quickly)"
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2014, 10:02:22 PM »
I understand you don't want to say more ... But is this something that will come out some day? Is there a story here? You guys have my curiosity peaked, but I don't have any connections. Just wondering if we'll ever know.

Not absolutely sure I'll get more.  Or if I'll share.  I value my relationships.  Just understand that not all were Buzz fans.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2014, 10:11:20 PM »
Talking about Jay correct?

Yes.  Sorry.  I got side tracked and this thread is evolving quickly.  Jay Wright = Good Dude.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Not absolutely sure I'll get more.  Or if I'll share.  I value my relationships.  Just understand that not all were Buzz fans.

Gotcha. Appreciate your discretion. You answered my question...mostly wanted to know if I should be keeping my eyes on ESPN for a story, or if this is just people being people. Sounds like the latter.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2014, 10:54:04 PM »
They wanted him to leave long before today.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2014, 11:01:56 PM »
Because Marotta, and everyone else at Marquette, thought Buzz would/could "toe the line." But, for whatever reason, Buzz couldn't or didn't want to and he bolted for VA Tech. And Marquette didn't stop him, especially after a 17-15 season.

I don't think there are many tears at the AL tonight. This had to have been simmering for a while.

What was the line he was asked to toe?

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2014, 11:06:12 PM »
What was the line he was asked to toe?

Certainly not the coaches box lines.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2014, 11:12:35 PM »
Although I am appreciative of the years he has coached here, I have always kind of wondered about Buzz and his intentions.  His first year, when I was a freshman, he held a meeting for students interested in being a manager of the team.  I will say that his demeanor at the meeting surprised me to say the least.  He was basically trying to discourage everyone from the position, asked us personal information in front of the entire group, etc. seemingly to make the point that we were not cut out to be managers.  While I understand that some of this may have been necessary to weed people out, why even organize a meeting of this sort just to shoot us down?  It did not leave a very positive impression, and some of his talks about character, etc. rang a tad hollow after that experience.  I'm just not a fan of preach to the choir type of people that show character flaws themselves (as most people in this world do).

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2014, 11:13:49 PM »
It happened before 5pm on a Friday.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
It happened before 5pm on a Friday.

I remember Pilarz was shown the door on an early Friday evening.

Anyone recall the day/appx time that LW was shown the door?

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2014, 11:23:30 PM »

Email says: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 16:42:17 -0600

Keith

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2014, 11:45:43 PM »
Terminations, voluntary or involuntary, either involve performance, or misalignment of values.

When you look at Buzz's body of work, it's hard to say it was performance.  

Having someone whose values are poor make that individual toxic to a values based organization.

Buzz "seems" to have good values.  That's why this is such a head scratcher.  

Sometimes you just get tired of the BS.  The constant need to stroke.  As managers, I'm sure we've all had folks we really like, are good employees, but are high maintenance as hell.  You do what you can to keep them when it pops up every 6 months or a year, but at some point you have to say time for you to go somewhere else.  Hate to see you leave, but the energy it takes to coddle you is just too much.  Throw in a few other things and it makes it easier.

brandx

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2014, 11:54:21 PM »
Sometimes you just get tired of the BS.  The constant need to stroke.  As managers, I'm sure we've all had folks we really like, are good employees, but are high maintenance as hell.  You do what you can to keep them when it pops up every 6 months or a year, but at some point you have to say time for you to go somewhere else.  Hate to see you leave, but the energy it takes to coddle you is just too much.  Throw in a few other things and it makes it easier.

Hunt actually had a couple of decent comments.

"Buzz Williams once told me he turned down the Southern Methodist job a few years ago because nobody cared about SMU basketball. He said he didn't take Southern California's calls for basically the same reason.
In fact, I've been told that's why he didn't go to Oklahoma in 2012. The Sooners took one look at how lavishly Williams was living at Marquette in terms of recruiting and travel and decided he was too rich for even their oil-infused blood."

Yet, Deonte Burton said Williams told the Golden Eagles he had not planned on leaving until the Virginia Tech opportunity came up.

So, since both comments came from Buzz - who was lying? Buzz or Buzz? Apparently he was surprised even though he has been actively seeking other jobs.

But I seriously wonder if Buzz' spending was the straw that broke the camel's back. We spent more money on basketball that Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Arizona, etc. and never got near the bang for the buck that those schools got.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2014, 12:26:52 AM »
I certainly ignored it at the time, because I didn't care, but...doesn't this warrant giving the University of New Orleans situation a second look? Didn't something shady go down when Buzz left that school after only 1 season? I recall he said he didn't feel the program was a priority to the school but don't remember a lot of specifics. What I do remember that UNO was quite unhappy with Buzz and felt like he screwed them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2014, 03:09:05 AM »
Melissa--you are liked by some. Just not some of the huge Buzz slurpers, many whom are not saying much rifgr now.

Don't worry Willie. I'm still here! :)

Not a Buzz slurper. I'm a Marquette slurper.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2014, 03:16:59 AM »

Who the heck is in charge who is showing all these folks the door? Maybe this guy should be shown the door.

You've now got an interim President, an interim Provost, and an interim Athletic Director. Why not just hire an interim basketball coach.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2014, 03:48:24 AM »
I certainly ignored it at the time, because I didn't care, but...doesn't this warrant giving the University of New Orleans situation a second look? Didn't something shady go down when Buzz left that school after only 1 season? I recall he said he didn't feel the program was a priority to the school but don't remember a lot of specifics. What I do remember that UNO was quite unhappy with Buzz and felt like he screwed them.
What does this have to do with anything. The University as a whole is trying to saving money so they do not have to increase tuition every year. Buzz made the most so he is gone...they will do a cheap hire. That simple.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2014, 03:52:17 AM »
Although I am appreciative of the years he has coached here, I have always kind of wondered about Buzz and his intentions.  His first year, when I was a freshman, he held a meeting for students interested in being a manager of the team.  I will say that his demeanor at the meeting surprised me to say the least.  He was basically trying to discourage everyone from the position, asked us personal information in front of the entire group, etc. seemingly to make the point that we were not cut out to be managers.  While I understand that some of this may have been necessary to weed people out, why even organize a meeting of this sort just to shoot us down?  It did not leave a very positive impression, and some of his talks about character, etc. rang a tad hollow after that experience.  I'm just not a fan of preach to the choir type of people that show character flaws themselves (as most people in this world do).
What? You are kidding right? HE SHOULD HAVE HAD A MEETING and grilled you! Do you know how important that position is?

LOL...stop. Just stop trying to find something. It's was his program. Of course he is going to get information from you and have a weeding out process.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2014, 03:58:10 AM »

If we have to wait for Hunt we'll never hear the real story.
WHAT????

He told us the "real story" and you did no want to believe it. Go back to some of the posts in here and read them again.

MICHAEL HUNT actually broke it first and you all vilified him for it. In fact, Michael Hunt called it and might need an apology from most of you that ridiculed him the last week or so...about Buzz Williams's status.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2014, 06:34:48 AM »

This.

Throw in a 17-15 season and some eccentric behavior and it's time to see the head hunter.
We Are Marquette

connie

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2014, 07:26:31 AM »
Not everybody who defended Buzz is gone.  I supported him as much as anybody until about four hours ago. Now I recognize him for what he was. I was wrong.
Same, but a few more hours ago.  I had some sh#! going on.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »
Don't worry Willie. I'm still here! :)

Not a Buzz slurper. I'm a Marquette slurper.
Of course you are not a Buzz slurper now, just a few weeks ago it was different. But an MU slurper is OK by me, and most on this board. Hopefully the right decision will be made.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »
Mods, can you give "slurper" the "aina" treatment? Please for the love of all that is holy stop the insanity!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:17:46 PM by Jajuannaman »

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2014, 12:16:39 PM »

+1

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »
What does this have to do with anything. The University as a whole is trying to saving money so they do not have to increase tuition every year. Buzz made the most so he is gone...they will do a cheap hire. That simple.

Completely disagree. Marquette has way to much invested in basketball to do a "cheap hire". Basketball is the flagship of national recognition for Marquette.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2014, 01:51:12 PM »
What?

Athletics is self supporting.  Not a dime of tuition supports athletics.

feedback