Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Source Told Me:"Buzz was fired (told to find something quickly)"  (Read 21126 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Source Told Me:"Buzz was fired (told to find something quickly)"
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:14 PM »
I have no indication that he was asked to leave.  But I am 100% certain that he had detractors at MU's highest levels.  Best of luck Buzz. Thanks so much for the memories.

Because of his coaching this season?

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:14 PM »
He doesn't have an agent. Maybe that was the one honest thing he said while he was here. Maybe Buzz is just a hillbilly from Texas who is actually genuinely unintelligent and didn't wait for a better job...

The guy was quirky beyond all belief. This looks like another quirk in the Buzz "BRENT" Williams saga.

Not very realistic...
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2014, 09:22:36 PM »
Real

Wish I was wrong but this was not out of the blue IMO. Much more to story, hopefully Hunt is in the ball and shares it.

Thanks for laugh. It's just a shame put us through this depressing season before departing.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »
Real

Wish I was wrong but this was not out of the blue IMO. Much more to story, hopefully Hunt is in the ball and shares it.

Goose,

I had to laugh this morning when I saw your post from yesterday on Buzz not leaving.  Then this afternoon took place.

You are right, there is much more to this story.

I haven't read all of the 385 new threads on Buzz's departure yet. Is there any news on what his assistants will be doing, and are any of them in consideration?

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »
Not very realistic...

As someone that listened to him 4 years ago as an incoming freshman...as someone who speaks English and sees Buzz' grammar I really don't find it too difficult to say the guy could have made a dumb choice...Crean gave him a chance, MU gave him a chance. He was a no one before that... Let's not give him too much credit

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2014, 09:24:08 PM »
Can you give us a preview?

Of course not. He doesn't back anything up. Unless he can say I told you so months down the road. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
Real

A buddy I trust told me Buzz was staying but I did not believe it. Maybe wishful thinking, not on Buzz on leaving but afraid of next hire.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
Real

If we have to wait for Hunt we'll never hear the real story.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »
Why did Marotta act so shocked?

Because Marotta, and everyone else at Marquette, thought Buzz would/could "toe the line." But, for whatever reason, Buzz couldn't or didn't want to and he bolted for VA Tech. And Marquette didn't stop him, especially after a 17-15 season.

I don't think there are many tears at the AL tonight. This had to have been simmering for a while.
We Are Marquette

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Because of his coaching this season?

Performance this year not seemingly an issue that is directly involved.  As I said, he was not fired as far as I can tell.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:35 PM »
Because Marotta, and everyone else at Marquette, thought Buzz would/could "toe the line." But, for whatever reason, Buzz couldn't or didn't want to and he bolted for VA Tech. And Marquette didn't stop him, especially after a 17-15 season.

I don't think there are many tears at the AL tonight. This had to have been simmering for a while.

I have no specific inside info but everything I hear Avenues is close to the truth.

Montana Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
He doesn't have an agent. Maybe that was the one honest thing he said while he was here. Maybe Buzz is just a hillbilly from Texas who is actually genuinely unintelligent and didn't wait for a better job...

The guy was quirky beyond all belief. This looks like another quirk in the Buzz "BRENT" Williams saga.

Makes you wonder!  If Milwaukee is a ncaab backwater then Blacksburg is in the outback.  Maybe that's where Buzz wants to be.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2014, 09:36:43 PM »
Performance this year not seemingly an issue that is directly involved.  As I said, he was not fired as far as I can tell.

Defined fired?  If he is let go, MU has to payout his contract.  If he is "encouraged" to leave and does, MU doesn't have to pay.

Practically it is the same thing as being fired.  If you have ever been on the receiving end of it, you would agree.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2014, 09:37:53 PM »
Fired or mutual parting of ways, is there a difference?

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »
At our old level probably, but with this "new" Big East...not necessarily no...Jay Wright, JT3, Cooley. I don't see that ego. Follow Jay on Twitter he's a good guy.

Have friends that met him at a cocktail party at the Jersey Shore.  Everything they said was; he is a great guy and great human being.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
Fired or mutual parting of ways, is there a difference?

I did not say mutual, he was "encourage" to leave.  Or as Avenue Commons said, MU "didn't stop him."  They wanted him to leave and not pay $15 million for it to happen.  Buzz Obliged and took a paycut to make it happen.

Their might even be high-fives as some might be happy he is gone and thrilled he F'ed himself in the process.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2014, 09:41:53 PM »
Have friends that met him at a cocktail party at the Jersey Shore.  Everything they said was; he is a great guy and great human being.

Talking about Jay correct?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2014, 09:43:04 PM »
Terminations, voluntary or involuntary, either involve performance, or misalignment of values.

When you look at Buzz's body of work, it's hard to say it was performance.  

Having someone whose values are poor make that individual toxic to a values based organization.

Buzz "seems" to have good values.  That's why this is such a head scratcher.  

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2014, 09:47:25 PM »
Defined fired?  If he is let go, MU has to payout his contract.  If he is "encouraged" to leave and does, MU doesn't have to pay.

Practically it is the same thing as being fired.  If you have ever been on the receiving end of it, you would agree.

I think it is a stretch to even say he was directly 'encouraged'.  My contacts were 'surprised' at 5p.  And they would absolutely know if 'encouraged' or 'fired' had taking place.  And not 2nd hand.

Please, I don't want to say more.  Heisenberg has it very close: maybe 100%.  Never know.  Good luck coach and thanks.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »
Heisenberg

I said mutual over a year ago. Sometimes things are meant to change.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2014, 09:52:48 PM »
I think it is a stretch to even say he was directly 'encouraged'.  My contacts were 'surprised' at 5p.  And they would absolutely know if 'encouraged' or 'fired' had taking place.  And not 2nd hand.

Please, I don't want to say more.  Heisenberg has it very close: maybe 100%.  Never know.  Good luck coach and thanks.
Your post contradicts itself. You say Buzz wasnt encouraged to leave. Yet say the guy who has been most adamant he was encourage is close to 100%???
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2014, 09:53:28 PM »
Terminations, voluntary or involuntary, either involve performance, or misalignment of values.

Having someone whose values are poor make that individual toxic to a values based organization.

From the public view, he has Buzz's bunch and suspends players when they break team rules.  What else can you really think of? Buzz is a lot of talk outside of that.  Consider the sexual assault allegations, the behavioral issues, and the seemingly lack of overall control.  We make jokes of Friday afternoons to see what's going to come out of the basketball team this week.  I'm not convinced Buzz is really a live your values kind of guy, but he talks up a great "aw shucks I'm humble" style speech.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2014, 09:54:25 PM »

I understand you don't want to say more ... But is this something that will come out some day? Is there a story here? You guys have my curiosity peaked, but I don't have any connections. Just wondering if we'll ever know.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2014, 09:54:48 PM »

Chili.  There are those in the know who have said Buzz was less than 100% genuine.  I am a huge fan and I suspect they tempered their comments in my presence.  I expect to hear things over beers in the coming weeks.  I'm not sure I'll share.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2014, 09:58:53 PM »
Chili.  There are those in the know who have said Buzz was less than 100% genuine.  I am a huge fan and I suspect they tempered their comments in my presence.  I expect to hear things over beers in the coming weeks.  I'm not sure I'll share.

Your comments make sense.

Misalignment of values.