collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 235811 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2015, 11:48:25 AM »
Seattle or South Bend? Hmmmmmmmm.

I believe 10 out of 12 teams from the Pac 12 made the NCAA Tournament this year in women's volleyball.  Compare that to 4 out of the ACC's 15 schools and it's a little easier to have big time success in the ACC.  Combine the ability to sell a Notre Dame degree for free with his own personal coaching success and he'll have that program towards the top of the ACC in no time.

Have had the pleasure of learning from a number of incredible volleyball coaches with Gold Medal Squared coming in and giving our coaches a clinic for 4 years, including Carl and Chris McGowan, John Speraw, Marv Dunphy, and Mike Wall.  Jim McLaughlin is someone they all talked very highly of and they showed quite a bit of DataVolley to us.  His players are always so fundamentally sound it's crazy.  Everything from footwork (hitters and setters) to defensive positioning to blocking reads, it's really amazing.   They are one of the few, if not the only, women's college volleyball team who has a truly dynamic block move.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2015, 12:03:45 PM »
I believe 10 out of 12 teams from the Pac 12 made the NCAA Tournament this year in women's volleyball.  Compare that to 4 out of the ACC's 15 schools and it's a little easier to have big time success in the ACC.  Combine the ability to sell a Notre Dame degree for free with his own personal coaching success and he'll have that program towards the top of the ACC in no time.

I think it's going to be really interesting to see how McLaughlin does at ND.  I would have to think that within a couple of years he's going to be in on many of the top players in the Midwest.  There is a lot of talent in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan.  I also think he'll continue recruiting out West and will be able to do it better than a lot of Midwest schools because of his contacts and the Notre Dame name.  Hiring Johnson from Xavier will give him some good inroads into the Midwest.  If he can take 1-2 top players from the Midwest each year and still draw using the ND name, coupled with his coaching skill, I think ND will be a top 25 team within a pretty short time.  The hire shows that they're committed to having a big-time volleyball program, and I think they'll be able to pull it off.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2015, 12:14:42 PM »
I think it's going to be really interesting to see how McLaughlin does at ND.  I would have to think that within a couple of years he's going to be in on many of the top players in the Midwest.  There is a lot of talent in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan.  I also think he'll continue recruiting out West and will be able to do it better than a lot of Midwest schools because of his contacts and the Notre Dame name.  Hiring Johnson from Xavier will give him some good inroads into the Midwest.  If he can take 1-2 top players from the Midwest each year and still draw using the ND name, coupled with his coaching skill, I think ND will be a top 25 team within a pretty short time.  The hire shows that they're committed to having a big-time volleyball program, and I think they'll be able to pull it off.

For sure.  If Bond was able to get Marquette into/on the border of the top 25 in a few short years, Jim McLaughlin should have no issue doing it at Notre Dame.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
I would love to see men's volleyball become more popular in the collegiate ranks. Not an expensive sport but that brings in title IX problems.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2015, 03:24:44 PM »

Have had the pleasure of learning from a number of incredible volleyball coaches with Gold Medal Squared coming in and giving our coaches a clinic for 4 years, including Carl and Chris McGowan, John Speraw, Marv Dunphy, and Mike Wall.  Jim McLaughlin is someone they all talked very highly of and they showed quite a bit of DataVolley to us.  His players are always so fundamentally sound it's crazy.  Everything from footwork (hitters and setters) to defensive positioning to blocking reads, it's really amazing.   They are one of the few, if not the only, women's college volleyball team who has a truly dynamic block move.

I'm looking at it as...where would I (and my family) want to live? As a coach, you're living in that spot year-round. Give me Seattle, thank you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »
I'm looking at it as...where would I (and my family) want to live? As a coach, you're living in that spot year-round. Give me Seattle, thank you.

I'm looking at it as Urban Meyer did Florida...it sure is getting tough to win year in and year out and compete with the best programs in the country. I could get paid more to have an easier time winning and then take my chances in the post season. Longer term guaranteed job security with more money in a cheaper place to live, coaching at a school that will be easier to recruit to.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2015, 07:48:31 PM »
Where is Gabby going?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »
Where is Gabby going?

Don't know but let's just say she didn't voluntarily leave the program.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »
And Bailey, Barber and Kintzel gone too--wham...big drop off from Bond.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2015, 08:36:38 PM »
And Bailey, Barber and Kintzel gone too--wham...big drop off from Bond.

Did not know about Autumn or Nele. Wow. They kept that under wraps. Gabby was done for awhile and they announced Kintzel wasn't coming back.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
Looks like it's heading towards my fears coming true for the MU women's volleyball program.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
Looks like it's heading towards my fears coming true for the MU women's volleyball program.

Yup, Autumn is a terrible loss. Like program changing loss. Nele was pretty good too but Autumn was going to destroy the all time kills record going away.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »

I guess it was a nice ride while it lasted, but now it's back to reality. Tired of MU serving as a coaching feeder system for the "big boys."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:45:04 PM by Groin_pull »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
I guess it was a nice ride while it lasted, but now it's back to reality. Tired of MU serving as a coaching feeder system for the "big boys."

I agree with your first thought but disagree with your second.  I think the second thought is where Marquette went wrong.  Marquette had a chance to use Bond's success as a launching pad and get someone in there that would continue the momentum he had created.  Instead, Marquette went with a safe hire, a guy with local ties who had "success" at the mid major level, and to him this is the "big boy job."  I don't mind Marquette being a "stepping stone job" if it means Marquette's program continues to trend upwards with each new hire.

I can say with 100% certainty that there was interest in the job with a coach who is very well respected on the men's side of things and is an incredibly hard worker (his recruiting habits remind me of Buzz, you wonder how the heck he does it...yet a complete down to earth guy...knows every player's name from 8th graders on up and knows about their family, etc.), who also had assistant coaching experience on the women's college side.  Let's just say he has been the right hand man of a coach who has been or currently is (don't want to give away his identity as maybe he doesn't want it known he was interested in a new position) the Men's National Team head coach for many years.  The floor for his program would've been where Bond left it, and the ceiling would've been very high.  Instead, we aspired to be Ohio (who was successful for the size of the school, no doubt, but are not legitimate contenders to go to the 2nd weekend in the NCAAs and beyond year in and year out).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »
MU lost their three highest revenue sport coaches in a period of uncertainty and transition. Some should have been set free. Bond could have been and should have been retained. Cords blew this one, got the other two right.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:06 PM »
MU lost their three highest revenue sport coaches in a period of uncertainty and transition. Some should have been set free. Bond could have been and should have been retained. Cords blew this one, got the other two right.

I don't know if MU could kept him. He's from Iowa.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2015, 08:30:21 PM »
I don't know if MU could kept him. He's from Iowa.

They could have tried $$$. I might add that he turned Iowa down at least twice this last time before he accepted.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:25:21 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2015, 03:19:59 PM »
Loyola has been rolling early on including a big 3-1 win against BYU and a sweep at Stanford. Say what you want about their conference but they can play with the big boys when it counts.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2015, 03:40:15 PM »
Loyola has been rolling early on including a big 3-1 win against BYU and a sweep at Stanford. Say what you want about their conference but they can play with the big boys when it counts.

My son and I were in Chicago for a volleyball tournament over the weekend, and were able to go see Loyola play Harvard on Saturday afternoon.  They looked really, really good, but I honestly have no frame of reference because I haven't seen much high-level men's volleyball.  But damn, they were good.  I just kept shaking my head and laughing.  The bic they ran about 5-6 times was absolutely amazing.  It scored every time (except for one where the ref called a back row attack).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:43:38 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »

BYU lost what quite possibly could turn out to be the best volleyball player in men's US volleyball history, as well as their other outside being out following shoulder surgery and their All American right side being out on his mission, plus graduating a middle.  People look at BYU's 2 wins over UCLA over the weekend and think they'll contend in the MPSF.  I don't think they will, as UCLA doesn't start a single senior and is very young and passes horribly.  Loyola made 31 (yes, thirty one!) hitting errors alone in their 4 set win over BYU.  That is brutal.  The right side is going to be a big problem unless one of the freshman develop quickly and step into that role, as McAndrews is truly a middle.  Their libero spot is also a big problem for them.  And their win over Stanford comes against a team who lost maybe more than any other team in the country, with all 3 pin hitters graduating.  Plus James Shaw was coming back from a knee injury and only played half the match.

Loyola definitely deserves their #1 ranking (Lewis is #2, and Ball State and IPFW had some nice wins in the non-conference as well) and is certainly a favorite to repeat, but I wouldn't be looking too much into those wins.  I think we'll learn more about them when they play Lewis.

Look for Pepperdine, USC, and my 2 sleepers would be UC Irvine and Hawaii to contend out of the MPSF.  USC has some big holes (in my opinion, none of their pin hitters are strong enough), but Micah is so good that he makes up for that and gets them 1-on-1 situations constantly.  Even below average college OHs will find put balls away with single blocks up.  Pepperdine is just really good all around, very physically dominating, and have arguably the best coach in the history of USA volleyball.  Irvine is also good all around, it's just a matter of finding a consistent lineup, which historically they struggle to do until the last 1/4 of the season.  And Hawaii has some dominant middles and huge home court advantage.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:46:11 PM by wadesworld »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »

Iowa paid him some major $. Not sure it was worth it to retain him even if he is a great coach. How much money is it worth spending on a non-revenue sport? At some point it's too much; I think Bond found that threshold.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2015, 08:54:36 PM »
Might be to late to draw anyone's attention who might be interested, but one of my favorites in USC plays at one of my sleepers in UCI tonight (although UCI has jumped up in the rankings, but they were chosen to finish 5th in the MPSF in their preseason coaches poll).  Here's a link to the stream of the match:

http://www.ucirvinesports.com/media/mvbstream

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #197 on: January 24, 2015, 12:11:38 AM »
Might be to late to draw anyone's attention who might be interested, but one of my favorites in USC plays at one of my sleepers in UCI tonight (although UCI has jumped up in the rankings, but they were chosen to finish 5th in the MPSF in their preseason coaches poll).  Here's a link to the stream of the match:

http://www.ucirvinesports.com/media/mvbstream

Former player of mine leading USC in kills for the 2nd straight match in a 5 set win.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2015, 02:47:33 PM »
Bump. When's the last time a West Coast team wasn't playing in the final? Has it ever happened?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2015, 03:00:50 PM »
Bump. When's the last time a West Coast team wasn't playing in the final? Has it ever happened?

If you don't consider BYU "west coast," 2003.  They lost to Lewis who later had to vacate the title.