[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was Buzz Talking About MUscoop tonight?  (Read 15339 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Was Buzz Talking About MUscoop tonight?
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
Is his post game with Mac and Homer, Buzz said about Derrick's good performance, "now maybe all those people asking about Derrick's minutes will stop."

Who are "those people?"  Is MUscoop "those people?"

Ners, you better keep your identity a secret a secret ... If Buzz figures out who you are, remember, he pumps iron now and has Gerry Boyle as his Lawyer!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Was Buzz Talking About MUscoop tonight?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:53:46 PM »
Scoop for coach of the year?

In all seriousness though if I had to guess Buzz has probably heard some fans saying things behind the bench during games. Doubt he checks scoop.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:39 PM »
Ners, you better keep your identity a secret a secret ... If Buzz figures out who you are, remember, he pumps iron now and has Gerry Boyle as his Lawyer!

When the going gets tough, you don't want a criminal lawyer... you want a criminal lawyer.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:03:21 PM »
Is his post game with Mac and Homer, Buzz said about Derrick's good performance, "now maybe all those people asking about Derrick's minutes will stop."

Who are "those people?"  Is MUscoop "those people?"

Buzz definitely knows what is being said on here...don't think he reads it personally, but gets de-briefed.  Buzz also knows I have a severe man crush on him, and even though I vehemently disagree with his take on the PG situation this year - doesn't mean I don't still have a ton of respect and admiration for him.

However, I do wish he would be consistent in his approach - he sure didn't say after Dawson played great against Georgetown - "Perhaps I've really made a mistake in how I've handed out minutes at the PG position." 

And lastly, it really is a commentary on how little we've come to expect from PG when 4 points on layups, and 3 of 4 from the FT line in 29 minutes is really good PG play.  Don't think Derrick had 1 assist in the 2nd half...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:20:28 PM »
Buzz definitely knows what is being said on here...don't think he reads it personally, but gets de-briefed.  Buzz also knows I have a severe man crush on him, and even though I vehemently disagree with his take on the PG situation this year - doesn't mean I don't still have a ton of respect and admiration for him.

However, I do wish he would be consistent in his approach - he sure didn't say after Dawson played great against Georgetown - "Perhaps I've really made a mistake in how I've handed out minutes at the PG position." 

And lastly, it really is a commentary on how little we've come to expect from PG when 4 points on layups, and 3 of 4 from the FT line in 29 minutes is really good PG play.  Don't think Derrick had 1 assist in the 2nd half...

No commentary from me. Just Derrick's stats:

27 min
7 pts (2/5)
3/4 FT
2 Reb
5 Assts
0 TOs
3 PF
+18

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:24:57 PM »

27 min
7 pts (2/5)
3/4 FT
2 Reb
5 Assts
0 TOs
3 PF
+18

The best of that stat line is that he went 3-4 from the FT line during a clutch time during the game.  Kudos on that.  The rest of the line...meh....Jamil went 4 of 4 on 3's to open the game..Derrick assisted those...3 of which were to Jamil in the trail position...sorry those don't get me excited about his play...any PG makes that pass..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:28:48 PM »
Changed my mind, kinda. Not my commentary. Buzz's...

"we had 10 turnovers in the 1H…30% of our possessions were turnovers…Why does Derrick play so much?…maybe that is solved now for a while…then in 2H we had 3 TOs"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:29:11 PM »

Buzz gave Dawson an 8:19 stretch today and Dawson, to be kind, was not good. I am not a huge fan of Derrick's game -- I had to give myself a Derrick moratorium back in December, and I actually stayed true to mine! -- but I was wondering if Derrick was hurt and said on a couple of occasions we needed to get Derrick back in there.

I believe in riding the hot hand. Dawson didn't have it tonight in any way, shape or form. Buzz stayed with him too long.

Now there's a critique we haven't seen often this season!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:21 PM »
.  Don't think Derrick had 1 assist in the 2nd half...

So, 5 assists, 0 TOs, 7 points in 27 minutes vs 0 assists, 3 TOs and 0 points in 9 (consecutive) minutes. With one of the TOs dribbling the ball out of bounds 45 feet from the basket with nobody near him (never seen that before). You keep wanting to make it about Derrick not being an All American. Everyone knows that. It's not about that. It's about Derrick being more ready to play 25-30 minutes a game than John right now, today. My guess is we'd get no argument on that from John or Reverend Dawson. Don't expect you to be as reasonable though.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »
Buzz gave Dawson an 8:19 stretch today and Dawson, to be kind, was not good. I am not a huge fan of Derrick's game -- I had to give myself a Derrick moratorium back in December, and I actually stayed true to mine! -- but I was wondering if Derrick was hurt and said on a couple of occasions we needed to get Derrick back in there.

I believe in riding the hot hand. Dawson didn't have it tonight in any way, shape or form. Buzz stayed with him too long.

Now there's a critique we haven't seen often this season!

He will improve with time.  And by 'time' I mean 'playing time'.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 06:31:33 AM »

Sucking up to Buzz won't save you.  He wants to meet you at the Qboda at 130AM ... Says he going to make fun of your name.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 06:47:54 AM »
How did he have 0 turnovers?  He dropped that Mayo pass late in the game; assuming possession rules give that to Mayo then?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 06:54:50 AM »
How did he have 0 turnovers?  He dropped that Mayo pass late in the game; assuming possession rules give that to Mayo then?

Correct.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 07:58:20 AM »

27 min
7 pts (2/5)
3/4 FT
2 Reb
5 Assts
0 TOs
3 PF
+18

Exactly. Derrick did his job - took care of the ball, got the ball to the hot hand, played solid D and ran the offense. I'll say it again Derrick did his job. Jamil, Gardner and Mayo are scorers, Jake is a shooter, Juan is an energy guy, Otule is a defender/rebounder, Burton is offense off the bench. Everyone has a job. Derrick did his very well last night.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 07:59:38 AM »
Scoop for coach of the year?

In all seriousness though if I had to guess Buzz has probably heard some fans saying things behind the bench during games. Doubt he checks scoop.

Correct.   I sit 6 rows behind MU's bench .. not a half of basketball goes by without more than one armchair quarterback yelling "Put in Dawson / Sit Derrick!"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 08:10:44 AM »
Correct.   I sit 6 rows behind MU's bench .. not a half of basketball goes by without more than one armchair quarterback yelling "Put in Dawson / Sit Derrick!"

Well look at you fancy pants...no seriously you must have fancy pants to sit there....and a sweater vest  ;D ;)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 08:19:14 AM »
Don't sell this site short, Hilltopper. Buzz reads this site, everybody knows that. He may hear it behind the bench, but unlikely, he is pretty focused on the game.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 08:22:26 AM »
Are you guys for real? He hears it plenty. He takes questions on his radio show that Homer solicits from fans for crying out loud, and that question has been asked in various forms. Not complicated. He doesn't read tis site, but that doesn't mean he lives under a rock.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »
If his son is asking why STJ couldn't recruit Jabari, chances are his son has or will soon be reading this site.

And when his son goes through an "I hate my parents" phase his threat will be:

"Fine! I'm moving in with Ners.  He's not idiot!"
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 08:54:46 AM »
Well look at you fancy pants...no seriously you must have fancy pants to sit there....and a sweater vest  ;D ;)

Well .. not /directly/ behind the bench .. I'm in the corner with the rest of the not-quite-swell-enough.   :-\

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
If his son is asking why STJ couldn't recruit Jabari, chances are his son has or will soon be reading this site.

And when his son goes through an "I hate my parents" phase his threat will be:

"Fine! I'm moving in with Ners.  He's not idiot!"

I laughed   :D

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 09:11:43 AM »
Wilson has never been the problem. The 3G and 3 spot has been the problem. You can't have a pass first PG if your "scorers" can't score. Thomas, Juan, Mayo, JJJ, & Burton have been below average at best. I'd argue they've been awful. Thomas only shoots when he's wide open, for the most part, and he's 35% from 3. That's bad. Juan is lost and the freshman are inconsistent.

Where my criticism of buzz comes in is early season rotations. By conference time, you need to rely on 8 guys to play 85% of the time. He never established that. Had Burton & JJJ gotten early minutes over Thomas and Juan, they'd be ready right now. JJJ's defense was one of his strengths out of high school and he's a far superior player on the offensive end. Burton is a freak, and would have gained discipline on offensive end had his minutes been consistent and secure. Thomas and Juan shouldn't see the floor IMO, they aren't good enough.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 09:13:26 AM »
Are you guys for real? He hears it plenty. He takes questions on his radio show that Homer solicits from fans for crying out loud, and that question has been asked in various forms. Not complicated. He doesn't read tis site, but that doesn't mean he lives under a rock.

Homer gets those question from this site!  We have a thread for this week's show going now.

And Homer tells Buzz he gets the questions from this site and reads the screen names of the questions he picks.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 09:27:35 AM »
Changed my mind, kinda. Not my commentary. Buzz's...

"we had 10 turnovers in the 1H…30% of our possessions were turnovers…Why does Derrick play so much?…maybe that is solved now for a while…then in 2H we had 3 TOs"

Obviously Buzz is devoutly loyal to Derrick, and needs all the help he can get to support why he's given Derrick max minutes of any player on the team...and for Buzz...Dawson's poor play last night gave Buzz a chance to justify his otherwise head scratching decision to give Derrick 30 minutes per game.  

I have no problem saying Dawson was bad last night, far and away his worst game of his career - it happens...Derrick's served up 15+ duds this year and has had his share of dumb/careless turnovers too.  Just don't care for how Buzz was so ready to jump on John's weak performance tonight, to try to justify Derrick's minutes - when Buzz didn't muse after the Georgetown game:  Maybe I need to really re-evaluate the decision I've made with regard to how I'm handling the PG minutes.  (And then actually make a drastic change regarding the minute allocation - think Dawson got 10 after the G'Town game...certainly seemed he might have "earned" more.)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Wilson has never been the problem. The 3G and 3 spot has been the problem. You can't have a pass first PG if your "scorers" can't score. Thomas, Juan, Mayo, JJJ, & Burton have been below average at best. I'd argue they've been awful. Thomas only shoots when he's wide open, for the most part, and he's 35% from 3. That's bad. Juan is lost and the freshman are inconsistent.

Where my criticism of buzz comes in is early season rotations. By conference time, you need to rely on 8 guys to play 85% of the time. He never established that. Had Burton & JJJ gotten early minutes over Thomas and Juan, they'd be ready right now. JJJ's defense was one of his strengths out of high school and he's a far superior player on the offensive end. Burton is a freak, and would have gained discipline on offensive end had his minutes been consistent and secure. Thomas and Juan shouldn't see the floor IMO, they aren't good enough.

Good start to the post, but it unraveled quickly. The frosh aren't the only ones who are inconsistent. Pretty much the whole team has been inconsistent, which is this team's primary issue. Last night Jamil looked like a lottery pick but in other games you don't even notice he's on the floor. Mayo's been all over the place. Gardner can look like DeJuan Blair or he can look completely disinterested. Jake has had 7 double-figure games and 7 games of 3 or fewer points. Juan plays really hard but can't seem to get it all together. One could make the argument that Derrick and Otule have been the team's most consistent players this season but neither is the type of player who can put the team on his back and carry everyone to a W. We're 24 games into the season and Buzz doesn't know who's going to show up on a given night. That's why he can't establish an 8-9 man rotation. If this team had 8 players who Buzz was confident would show up and make significant contributions every time they hit the floor, there would be a more set rotation.

feedback