[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was Buzz Talking About MUscoop tonight?  (Read 15338 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Was Buzz Talking About MUscoop tonight?
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
I have wondered how they picked them, seems like people are usually "a season ticket holder since the Eisenhower administration"

so this being my 1st year with season tickets means that I have a chance too?

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2014, 04:24:51 PM »
I have wondered how they picked them, seems like people are usually "a season ticket holder since the Eisenhower administration"

so this being my 1st year with season tickets means that I have a chance too?

Finishing our first decade as season ticket holders (including our four college years) my wife and I are hoping to see another final four before being picked out of the hat.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »
Unlikely .. '91 grad here.  They pulled my name out of the hat.

No, dude, that's pretty unnatural carnal knowledgeing old
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »

Yes. Teams that want to do better need better players. Derrick isn't alone in that regard.

Lumping the PG in with other positions is almost like lumping a quarterback with a receiver or lineman.

Yes, the Texans needed others to play better last season. But regardless, they were hamstrung by Matt Schaub's inadequate play in most games.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2014, 06:54:36 PM »
That isn't a good analogy. A point guard is obviously important but it's not necessarily the most important position on a basketball team. For instance very few of the top paid nba players are points. Derrick could definitely be a point guard on a top 20 team, but you would have to see vast upgrades at the 2 and 3 positions.  Derrick is shouldering too much blame for a team that lacks talent.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
No, dude, that's pretty unnatural carnal knowledgeing old

Get off my lawn.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »
Sultan

PG make other guys better, much a like a great QB. No Rodgers and the Pack lost. You give MU a high level D1 PG the talent level rises with current players. Even Jake would benefit from a PG that can play in transition and do it with speed. I actually think it was a great analogy.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »

I always swore they made that thing up and just took a couple people from the nursing home to give the award to.  There was no way there could possibly be that many season ticket holders since 1958 to honor!  :P

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
Sultan

PG make other guys better, much a like a great QB. No Rodgers and the Pack lost. You give MU a high level D1 PG the talent level rises with current players. Even Jake would benefit from a PG that can play in transition and do it with speed. I actually think it was a great analogy.

And Derrick would look better with better scorers around him.

Look I am not arguing that pg isn't important, but it is not as important as the qb in football. Again if that were the case point guards would be the highest paid players on the court.  That is why it isn't a good analogy.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:28:52 PM by The Sultan of Serenity »

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »

And Derrick would look better with better scorers around him.

Look I am not arguing that pg isn't important, but it is not as important as the qb in football. Again if that were the case point guards would be the highest paid players on the court.  That is why it isn't a good analogy.

In college basketball the pg position is very important. Much more so than in the NBA in my opinion. A good pg will keep his team in almost every game and really impacts the game more than any other position, especially at the college level.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2014, 09:39:30 PM »
That isn't a good analogy. A point guard is obviously important but it's not necessarily the most important position on a basketball team. For instance very few of the top paid nba players are points. Derrick could definitely be a point guard on a top 20 team, but you would have to see vast upgrades at the 2 and 3 positions.  Derrick is shouldering too much blame for a team that lacks talent.

Derrick is the point guard on a team that is definitely not top 20. That is a fact. I need only show you the Marquette Warriors, who have Derrick and are not a top 20 team.

"Derrick could definitely be a point guard on a top 20 team." That is an opinion.
If you'd like to prove your opinion to be factually based, please show me a top-20 team in the nation right now that has a 30 mpg PG who averages 5 points while shooting .083 from 3-point range and .492 from the FT line.

Thank you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2014, 08:37:42 AM »
Derrick is the point guard on a team that is definitely not top 20. That is a fact. I need only show you the Marquette Warriors, who have Derrick and are not a top 20 team.

"Derrick could definitely be a point guard on a top 20 team." That is an opinion.
If you'd like to prove your opinion to be factually based, please show me a top-20 team in the nation right now that has a 30 mpg PG who averages 5 points while shooting .083 from 3-point range and .492 from the FT line.

Thank you.

It is an opinion...  I think that if you put better scorers around him, he could be the PG on a top 20 team. 

I don't have time to sift through polls to see if that opinion has factually based precedent.  So if you disagree with me, you disagree with me.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »
Sultan

It was a brutal analogy. Sure, like a QB, a PG can make everyone else better...but so can a post player or a shooting guard or a "switchable." Basically any of the 5 players on the basketball court can be the engine that makes the team go. When is the last time you heard of any football player other than a QB described as having the ability to make everyone else better?

You know who made everyone else better for MU last season? Vander Blue. The years before that? Crowder and DJO. Some others at MU: Lazar Hayward, Jimmy Butler, Jerel McNeal, Steve Novak, Travis Diener, Dwyane Wade. All PGs, right?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2014, 12:54:16 PM »
It was a brutal analogy. Sure, like a QB, a PG can make everyone else better...but so can a post player or a shooting guard or a "switchable." Basically any of the 5 players on the basketball court can be the engine that makes the team go. When is the last time you heard of any football player other than a QB described as having the ability to make everyone else better?

You know who made everyone else better for MU last season? Vander Blue. The years before that? Crowder and DJO. Some others at MU: Lazar Hayward, Jimmy Butler, Jerel McNeal, Steve Novak, Travis Diener, Dwyane Wade. All PGs, right?

Travis led us to the NIT his junior and senior seasons. Junior C led us to the Sweet 16 and the Elite 8. An elite point guard is great to have but it's no guarantee.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »
Does no one pay attention to our games?  Just in the last 2 we have been down 6-10 points in the 2nd half and all of sudden the defense gets ratcheted up, starts creating transition opportunities and turns deficits into leads.  Notice who is on the court then?  I bet if you asked Buzz, he would say Jake and Derrick are the foundation of his defensive game plan.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
Does no one pay attention to our games?  Just in the last 2 we have been down 6-10 points in the 2nd half and all of sudden the defense gets ratcheted up, starts creating transition opportunities and turns deficits into leads.  Notice who is on the court then?  I bet if you asked Buzz, he would say Jake and Derrick are the foundation of his defensive game plan.

but... POINTS! SCORERS! SHOOTERS!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »
but... POINTS! SCORERS! SHOOTERS!
Sorry--some of those guys were on the court when we were down 6-10 points. Did you notice that also? Kind of meaningless, just like the +/- stat.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »

It's a nice step. Talk to me again after Xavier and Creighton.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
It's a nice step. Talk to me again after Xavier and Creighton.

I agree.  We were not playing the Thunder & Heat.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
I agree.  We were not playing the Thunder & Heat.

Or even the Musketeers and Bluejays.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
I doubt Buzz reads this site but I also doubt he is not briefed on the tone and tenor of wisdom from the blogosphere. Frankly, if Buzz would just read this site we are likely unbeaten today. He ignores us at his own peril. It's his career, I guess.

Death on call