collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 586603 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #575 on: September 15, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »
Here's a fun link

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

Filter based on your (least) favorite team!

Spoiler - mostly DUI and domestic assault cases
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #576 on: September 15, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
Here's a fun link

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

Filter based on your (least) favorite team!

Spoiler - mostly DUI and domestic assault cases

Najeh Davenport...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #577 on: September 15, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »
Najeh Davenport...

I imagine him and Rick Majerus share something in common.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #578 on: September 15, 2014, 12:42:16 PM »
NFL teams have no clue, no PR savvy, no non football management skills to work through what is going on.

AD to play this week? What changed in 72 hours?

Hardy probably plays Sunday? Why deactivate him one game.

Hiding behind "due process" is BS. Bowing to public outrage in the short term...total garbage.

The Vikes are in a no win situation.

They could cut him outright and take a big stand (I would applaud that, and many others would).

However, when he signs with the Cowboys, and has a big year in 2015, the narrative with be about "redemption", and how he's changed so much since last year.

The truth is, he won't have changed anything but his uniform, but we'll be sold a pile of garbage because it makes for a better story than: Bad guy is still good at football. Still makes millions.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #579 on: September 15, 2014, 12:56:12 PM »
NFL teams have no clue, no PR savvy, no non football management skills to work through what is going on.

AD to play this week? What changed in 72 hours?

Hardy probably plays Sunday? Why deactivate him one game.

Hiding behind "due process" is BS. Bowing to public outrage in the short term...total garbage.

They have no PR skills because they haven't had to use any. 

This entire episode IMO is an exercise on how *not* to run an organization and how *not* to handle a PR emergency.  The lack of personnel guidelines outside of "whatever Roger thinks" was a disaster waiting to happen.  And the PR approach was way too reactive.

Like this whole thing with Ray Rice.  Too soft on the front end.  Then the video surfaces and BOOM indefinite suspension.  Ah...OK...so what about Greg Hardy?  So if it embarrasses the NFL too much, we suspend indefinitely.  But if it was done without a lot of people knowing about it, we just keep quiet about it?

As I said last week...complete clusterf*ck.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #580 on: September 15, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »
The Vikes are in a no win situation.

They could cut him outright and take a big stand (I would applaud that, and many others would).

However, when he signs with the Cowboys, and has a big year in 2015, the narrative with be about "redemption", and how he's changed so much since last year.

The truth is, he won't have changed anything but his uniform, but we'll be sold a pile of garbage because it makes for a better story than: Bad guy is still good at football. Still makes millions.

Agree for the most part...but there is a middle ground:  To let the process play out before making a final decision.  Lots of organizations do that while allegations are being investigated:  police departments, schools, etc.  And if he's found guilty, action should be taken by the league, not just the team. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #581 on: September 15, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »
Agree for the most part...but there is a middle ground:  To let the process play out before making a final decision.  Lots of organizations do that while allegations are being investigated:  police departments, schools, etc.  And if he's found guilty, action should be taken by the league, not just the team. 

Right, but how far should NFL teams go with that approach?

Alleged murder? Alleged Rape? Alleged child abuse (with photos)?

I'm not trying to prematurity convict somebody (they will have their day in court), but I also don't want a bunch of bad people suiting up for my favorite team. I know, that makes me a hypocrite.

It's tough to be a fan sometimes.

One thing is for sure, I used to REALLY like AP. But, I don't like him enough to make excuses for him. He took a whip and beat a 4 yr old. It's not acceptable to me. I cannot justify it. I know a lot of MN fans are twisting themselves into knots trying to justify it. I won't do it.

He's a bad guy, and I hope he never wears a Vikes jersey again.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #582 on: September 15, 2014, 01:29:48 PM »
Right, but how far should NFL teams go with that approach?

Alleged murder? Alleged Rape? Alleged child abuse (with photos)?

I'm not trying to prematurity convict somebody (they will have their day in court), but I also don't want a bunch of bad people suiting up for my favorite team. I know, that makes me a hypocrite.

It's tough to be a fan sometimes.

One thing is for sure, I used to REALLY like AP. But, I don't like him enough to make excuses for him. He took a whip and beat a 4 yr old. It's not acceptable to me. I cannot justify it. I know a lot of MN fans are twisting themselves into knots trying to justify it. I won't do it.

He's a bad guy, and I hope he never wears a Vikes jersey again.

There was a girl wearing a Peterson jersey yesterday and I couldn't fathom it. Really, really odd.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #583 on: September 15, 2014, 01:33:18 PM »
How about this...

If you are arrested or indicted for a violent crime, you are placed on indefinite suspension.  The team can keep you, pay you, and get a roster exemption.  Or they can cut you and not have to pay you.  (Like any other player.)

Afterwards, once you are convicted, plead out, or even put into some diversion program, you are then placed on some sort of unpaid leave based on a scale of some sort.

The concept isn't that hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #584 on: September 15, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
How about this...

If you are arrested or indicted for a violent crime, you are placed on indefinite suspension.  The team can keep you, pay you, and get a roster exemption.  Or they can cut you and not have to pay you.  (Like any other player.)

Afterwards, once you are convicted, plead out, or even put into some diversion program, you are then placed on some sort of unpaid leave based on a scale of some sort.

The concept isn't that hard.

But it is when you've got a team that needs to win in order for you to keep your job.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #585 on: September 15, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »
Trying to distract the problems of the NFL with some football talk for a quick second...

I think the Niners are in a heap of trouble. Body language says a lot, and Harbaugh looks checked out. He and Balke have their differences, and I think if they go 5-7, come December, Harbaugh and the organization will mutually agree that he's gone (and on his way to Michigan).

Kaepernick is a maddening QB. He has a rocket of an arm, fantastic speed and moves, but something just is missing there. I don't think the picks last night were on him, the Bears made some really incredible plays on all 3 picks, but you could tell once they got down 21-20, it felt like there was no way Kaepernick was leading them back.

I have no idea what to make of the Bears, thought they'd be 1-1 at this point, but no way did I think this is how they'd get there. I said before the season on here I thought Willie Young and Fuller would wind up as their two best defensive players, and that may be the case.

Missed the early games yesterday, but the NFL season has been weird (to say the least). Teams keep coming back from double digit second half deficits to win games. Pack was down (correct me if I'm wrong) 21-3, and as an observer, I had complete confidence they were going to come back and win that game yesterday.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #586 on: September 15, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »
But it is when you've got a team that needs to win in order for you to keep your job.

Right.  That's why the NFL needs to take this out of their hands and have a centralized policy.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #587 on: September 15, 2014, 02:08:19 PM »
There was a girl wearing a Peterson jersey yesterday and I couldn't fathom it. Really, really odd.

You mean this lady holding her version of a switch wearing a Peterson jersey?

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/14/tailgating-fan-wears-peterson-jersey-hits-people-with-switch/#at_pco=cfd-1.0

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #588 on: September 15, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/14/tailgating-fan-wears-peterson-jersey-hits-people-with-switch/#at_pco=cfd-1.0

I'm not a confrontational guy, but if I saw that in person, I probably would have gotten into a verbal altercation.

That has to be the dumbest sh*t I've ever seen.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #589 on: September 15, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
Made even more fantastic by the fact that it's a Vikings fan wearing it, not even an opponent fan doing it to make fun of them.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #590 on: September 15, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »
I'm not a confrontational guy, but if I saw that in person, I probably would have gotten into a verbal altercation.

I agree.  Seriously, who wears sandals in Minnesota in September?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #591 on: September 15, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »
and zubas! do even they still make those zubas?

brandx

« Reply #592 on: September 15, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »

I've changed my mind. I used to think the Bears had the dumbest fans around.

brandx

« Reply #593 on: September 15, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »

That's almost enough to make someone go all RayRice on her.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #594 on: September 15, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »

Kaepernick is a maddening QB. He has a rocket of an arm, fantastic speed and moves, but something just is missing there. I don't think the picks last night were on him, the Bears made some really incredible plays on all 3 picks, but you could tell once they got down 21-20, it felt like there was no way Kaepernick was leading them back.

Though it pains me to say, Conte made an incredible interception on the first pick. That being said...I don't think Kaepernick could have stared at Boldin much longer. That throw was def. on him as he never looked the safety off.

I have to go have a drink now after giving Conte credit for anything.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #595 on: September 15, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »
Not sure if this has been shared but is pretty cringeworth also

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/9/11/6137819/ravens-fans-in-ray-rice-jerseys-interviewed

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #596 on: September 15, 2014, 03:32:28 PM »
I've changed my mind. I used to think the Bears had the dumbest fans around.

I disagree with this.  Bears fans are like any other fans, blindly supportive of times, but what fans aren't?  The Bears fans I know are typically realistic about expectations as a whole for their team.  I think they may give more credit or benefit of the doubt to individual players, but their overall feelings on their team seem to be pretty realistic.  Bear down is pretty darn annoying, though.

Vikings fans are just plain not intelligent.  "SKOL VIKINGS!  We're the best!  Brett Favre!  Ryan Longwell!  Packers suck!"  That's about all that comes to mind when I think of Vikings fans.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #597 on: September 15, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
I'm listening to WSCR replay Rick Spielman's press conference...and oh my...what a f*cking train wreck.  That was not well thought out at all.  And the owner is nowhere to be seen.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #598 on: September 15, 2014, 03:47:11 PM »
Adrian Beat-his-son.  Sorry, shouldn't make fun of it really, but just fits too well.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #599 on: September 15, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »

I saw an even dumber fan on NBC on Friday morning.  The Today Show was doing a story on Rice, and how some Baltimore fans were still wearing RR jerseys.  They interviewed a 40ish female Baltimore fan who said, in response to why she was wearing the jersey, "any woman who hits a man, deserves to be hit back".  OMFG.

That takes the cake.  The Viking fan is a close second.