collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 586599 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #500 on: September 12, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »
He should never play again. EVER.

Really, this is much more disgusting than the Ray Rice story.  My God...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #501 on: September 12, 2014, 08:53:31 PM »
I read the article a bit differently. I felt he was saying that other people always had excuses for Jay's play, not that Jay was complaining about it. But, Bear fans especially have excused his play even as he marched the Bears through the playoffs year after year. :o

Sorry, I cant help myself when it comes to Jay.

That's a joke. I'm in the minority when it comes to supporting Cutler.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #502 on: September 12, 2014, 09:12:06 PM »
I'm glad the Vikes aren't letting him play, but...

...they had to have kept this underwrap for a while now.

I have 4 year old twins, I just can not fathom any of this. Numb.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #503 on: September 12, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »
Really if the Vikings don't let Peterson go, and he isn't suspended indefinitely a la Rice, the NFL has become even a bigger joke than it was 12 hours ago.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #504 on: September 12, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »

Really, this is much more disgusting than the Ray Rice story.  My God...

Getting worse.

Just saw that the kid told police Peterson previously beat him with belts on numerous occasions and placed leaves in his mouth so he wouldn't scream.  Peterson also sent his ex a text saying he hit the kid in his testicles by mistake.  

It's one thing punching out your girlfriend in a drunking rage, but beating a four year old in this manner is a whole different ballgame.  

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #505 on: September 12, 2014, 09:40:44 PM »
I read the article a bit differently. I felt he was saying that other people always had excuses for Jay's play, not that Jay was complaining about it. But, Bear fans especially have excused his play even as he marched the Bears through the playoffs year after year. :o

Sorry, I cant help myself when it comes to Jay.

I agree with you here. Guess we just read the article differently. Your POV on teh article is what I was trying to say in my post.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #506 on: September 12, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »
This is becoming really interesting. Is the NFL going to start becoming a moral/ethical league where they get rid of players for crimes/questionable behavior? Where's the line - violence? drugs?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #507 on: September 12, 2014, 11:30:16 PM »
This is becoming really interesting. Is the NFL going to start becoming a moral/ethical league where they get rid of players for crimes/questionable behavior? Where's the line - violence? drugs?

Well it is a profession. If you were arrested for beating your fiancé or your kid would you hang onto your job? I don't know if that's pushing morality and ethics so much as following laws. Domestic violence and child abuse are illegal.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #508 on: September 13, 2014, 01:27:04 AM »
I know for a fact that I'd be fired in two seconds if I was indicted on domestic abuse

tower912

• All American
« Reply #509 on: September 13, 2014, 08:54:28 AM »
Well it is a profession. If you were arrested for beating your fiancé or your kid would you hang onto your job? I don't know if that's pushing morality and ethics so much as following laws. Domestic violence and child abuse are illegal.

There is a difference between arrested and convicted.   I have little doubt that AP ends up with a good lawyer and (A) does not spend a day in jail (B) is not convicted by a jury of his peers (C) ends up with the charges reduced drastically.       At that point, as with anyone, with no felony conviction on his record, other than disapproval from a hypocritical fanbase, why shouldn't he continue to be employed?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #510 on: September 13, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »
There is a difference between arrested and convicted.   I have little doubt that AP ends up with a good lawyer and (A) does not spend a day in jail (B) is not convicted by a jury of his peers (C) ends up with the charges reduced drastically.       At that point, as with anyone, with no felony conviction on his record, other than disapproval from a hypocritical fanbase, why shouldn't he continue to be employed?

His lawyer already admitted to what he did and said he was just "treating his kid the same way he had been raised." I don't care how someone was raised or what that person experienced as a kid, there is no place for that. And you'd think someone who lost a child (that he never met - sounds like a great guy all around) as a result of an adult beating him would be a little more careful about this. I just don't think that if the NFL decides AP should not be allowed to play that they are pushing some sort of morals.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #511 on: September 13, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
When you are in a high profile profession, being arrested for a violent act should most certainly mean suspension by your employer.  That that suspension should remain in place regardless if it is plead out. 

And indefinitely suspending someone doesn't mean permanently suspending them.

And here is the problem in a league with a bad commissioner who decided to dole out punishment based on apparently nothing but his whim.  There are now no guidelines.  Rice...suspended indefinitely.  Hardy...nothing.  Peterson...silence.

It really is a clusterf*ck.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #512 on: September 13, 2014, 12:22:18 PM »
When you are in a high profile profession, being arrested for a violent act should most certainly mean suspension by your employer.  That that suspension should remain in place regardless if it is plead out. 

And here is the problem in a league with a bad commissioner who decided to dole out punishment based on apparently nothing but his whim.  There are now no guidelines.  Rice...suspended indefinitely.  Hardy...nothing.  Peterson...silence.

This. Exactly what I was getting at.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #513 on: September 13, 2014, 06:43:17 PM »

Speaking of the bad commissioner part. How long do we think Goodell is gonna last? He has been brutal for the league thus far during his tenure.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #514 on: September 13, 2014, 06:48:52 PM »
Speaking of the bad commissioner part. How long do we think Goodell is gonna last? He has been brutal for the league thus far during his tenure.

Only one thing matters, just like in the NCAA...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #515 on: September 13, 2014, 07:50:39 PM »
Yeah but short term money is one thing.  Long term degradation of the brand is another.  And Goodell seems to have no answers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #516 on: September 13, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »
Yeah but short term money is one thing.  Long term degradation of the brand is another.  And Goodell seems to have no answers.

Good point.  I would love to see him resign/get fired, but I just see the owners standing by his side because he has allowed them to make quite a bit of money.

brandx

« Reply #517 on: September 13, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »
Only one thing matters, just like in the NCAA...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But Goodell hasn't really done well in that area.

MBL, NBA, and NHL have all had a higher percentage growth since 2006 than the NFL.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #518 on: September 13, 2014, 08:38:05 PM »
Good point.  I would love to see him resign/get fired, but I just see the owners standing by his side because he has allowed them to make quite a bit of money.

That and he's one of them.  I think the solution needs to be appointing a trusted owner as an interim...like Dan Rooney.  And then give them a couple years to figure out how to move forward. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #519 on: September 13, 2014, 09:04:33 PM »
Just about anyone could do a better job of running the NFL than Goodell.

538 had a great article on how overvalued Goodell is from a business standpoint. Growth % of NFL franchise values is the lowest among the four major leagues. Yes, it is skewed a tad because NFL franchises are highly sought. However, average value increase under Goodell's tenure is a mediocre 3.5%. That's with massive media contract increases.

Long term, having Goodell in charge is going to be a big problem for the owners. Good luck to Buffalo, Oakland, San Diego trotting out Goodell asking for taxpayer dollars for stadiums.

In DC, Snyder is holding the nickname hostage to exchange for a new stadium in DC. Good luck with that PR nightmare.

No one talks about it, but the ownership situation in Chicago will get very interesting, probably in next 5 years.

Good luck Rog.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #520 on: September 14, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
Nice drive by Vikes.

Adrian who?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #521 on: September 14, 2014, 12:25:48 PM »
Glad the Skins didn't trade Kirk Cousins.  RGIII probably just blew his knee out again.  Ouch......

And on his first pass Cousins throws a TD.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:30:57 PM by nyg »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #522 on: September 14, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »
It was Griffin's ankle...not his knee.  But yeah.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #523 on: September 14, 2014, 01:00:39 PM »
Funny that people thought there would be "big stories brewing" (BJ) in Minneapolis. Don't know how many times I can say it in here but you need a QB who values the football to win in the NFL. Turnovers are nearly impossible to overcome no matter who you're playing in the NFL.

Now having said that, I'm not sure the Vikings QBs don't value the football like I think is the case with Cutler, I think their problem is their QBs are just complete and utter crap. Give Brett a call and get Chilli back on the sidelines!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #524 on: September 14, 2014, 01:01:55 PM »
I gotta wonder what is going through Greg Jennings' head these days.

feedback