[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 586909 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #325 on: September 04, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »
Classic Rodgers drive, carries team on his back, guy's a stud. Didn't have an incomplete pass entire drive.

brandx

« Reply #326 on: September 04, 2014, 10:32:08 PM »
Hate to be negative this early but GB probably has the worst strength and conditioning program in the NFL.   Judging by getting pushed around on D for the last 5 years and racking up injuries at an alarming rate.

Looks like the same old defense.   Doesn't appear like Thompson can fix the problem.

You're right. Having a lot of injuries can be random, but not when it is every year. By the end of the 1st half of the 1st game - already 5 starters + top OL backup are down.

Add to that the worst inside LB duo in the league and it could be a long year. Brad Jones had the biggest play of the 1st half AND the biggest play of the 2nd half on defense - both holding calls. Don't think he would start on any other NFL team.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #327 on: September 04, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »
Classic Rodgers drive, carries team on his back, guy's a stud. Didn't have an incomplete pass entire drive.

Where'd he carry 'em to? L-city.

SKOL VIKINGS. Great story brewing in Minneapolis this year.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #328 on: September 04, 2014, 10:40:33 PM »

I'm on the Vikings bandwagon.

brandx

« Reply #329 on: September 04, 2014, 10:46:10 PM »

Can I ask what that great story might be?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #330 on: September 04, 2014, 10:48:22 PM »
Tough to figure out what to make of the Pack after this one. Playing at Seattle sucks, it's nearly a no win situation right now for the visitor.

That said, the o-line injuries are a real big concern. I'd imagine Britton gets a call from Thompson this weekend, I think he'd be a better pick up than Winston right now.

Brad Jones...man, that holding call with 7 mins to go was a killer. Some sloppy penalties all around tonight. Run defense...ugh.

The key guys played really well I thought...Rodgers, Jordy, Cobb, Matthews, Sam Shields (I thought had a hell of a night).

I think if the Pack came out 2-2 after their first four, they'll be fine. 1-3 would be a concern, but they're too good in my opinion.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #331 on: September 04, 2014, 11:05:18 PM »
going into Seattle tonight was like going into a buzz saw.  No chance from the start for GB.  That said, Packers should still win the division, just like every other year.  In rodgers i trust, even though he looked a little sloppy.       

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #332 on: September 04, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »
Can I ask what that great story might be?

Picked last, win the division. So many guys stepping up for us.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #333 on: September 04, 2014, 11:12:26 PM »
Guion did 1 thing well all night...and that was get absolutely blown off the line all night. He might as well not have been on the field. While Raji isn't good either, at least he could eat some space in the run game. Our inside linebackers are horrible, Brad Jones might be the worst starting player at any position in the NFL. OLBs and DBs will actually be pretty decent this year.

If Bulaga is our (okay, who am I kidding, he'll be done for the year) for any amount of time the OLine is in trouble.

Gotta love McCarthy. Wait to open up the offense until it's 29-10 in the 4th. Great offensive mind. One of the most frustrating playcallers I've ever seen. Loves to be as predictable as they come in the first 3 quarters and sets up a ton of 3rd and long, pass only situations. That's not a recipe for success.  I also cannot stand that in his press conferences he talks about needing to tackle better and eliminate the penalties every single week for the past 4 years.  You can talk about it as much as you want.  If you haven't fixed in in 4 years, it gets old.

Seahawks are clearly the better team. Ballhawks everywhere on defense and know how to tackle. A complete team. No real weakness offensively or defensively. And a playcaller who is willing to mix it up. Hate Carroll but he has his teams much more ready to go than McCarthy does.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:34:26 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #334 on: September 04, 2014, 11:13:45 PM »
Picked last, win the division. So many guys stepping up for us.

With Matt Cassle and Teddy Bridgewater as your options at QB? Sorry, but you can be good everywhere else, but you aren't a contender with those 2 QBs. And AP is bound to get tested for steroids sooner or later, so there's that coming.

Don't get me wrong, they'll win some games against some good teams.  But with those 2 QBs there is no way they go to the Playoffs.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:33:18 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #335 on: September 04, 2014, 11:32:03 PM »
With Matt Cassle and Teddy Bridgewater as your options at QB? Sorry, but you can be good everywhere else, but you aren't a contender with those 2 QBs. And AP is bound to get tested for steroids sooner or later, so there's that coming.

Bad QB + very average defense = great story.

Bur, I like Zimmer and think he will do a good job if given enough time to turn things around.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #336 on: September 05, 2014, 08:32:39 AM »
Sounds like Bulaga's injury may not be serious.  That is big, but the OLine is still incredibly thin.  If Sherrod has to enter the game the Packers are in trouble.

I expect a 12-4 or 11-5 season and a division title, but man, you really need something more out of the DLine and ILBs.  Not sure where you're going to get that from, so that's an issue.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #337 on: September 05, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »
I don't know what to fully think about last night, but some thoughts:

1. For all the talk about improved defense, I have my doubts.  I think the DL and ILBs are substandard and are going to cause problems against the run.

2. McCarthy really should allow the quick no huddle offense to be played more often. 

3. The OL is scary thin.  Sherrod is terrible.

But I will tell you this.  Seattle is a damn good team.  I have no trouble seeing that team winning back to back. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #338 on: September 05, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »
Seattle is very good.
Packers looked unprepared, lousy offensive plan, defense looked bad, but not going to read too much I to it yet.
O-line injuries made things exponentially worse.

Looked bad, but it's just a loss in a game they would have lost even if they looked good. Not going to try to judge too much off this one.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #339 on: September 05, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »
Seattle is very good.
Packers looked unprepared, lousy offensive plan, defense looked bad, but not going to read too much I to it yet.
O-line injuries made things exponentially worse.

Looked bad, but it's just a loss in a game they would have lost even if they looked good. Not going to try to judge too much off this one.

I thought the secondary played well, but the front 7 was terrible.  The defensive line was pushed back three yards consistently.  Go figure that a Vikings' cut (Guion) isn't the answer at NT.  That position needs to be addressed immediately. 

I agree that we shouldn't read too much into it; Seattle is a really, really good team.  The defense is obviously amazing and that offense is scary with Harvin healty.  The Packers will be fine, but they do need to address issues on the Dline and the Oline.  Way too much getting pushed around.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #340 on: September 05, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
Anyone notice TJ Lang give Brother Rice a shout out during his intro? The Warriors are about to 4peat as State Champs in Michigan this year. Worship 
Bring back FFP!!!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #341 on: September 05, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »
Guion did 1 thing well all night...and that was get absolutely blown off the line all night. He might as well not have been on the field. While Raji isn't good either, at least he could eat some space in the run game. Our inside linebackers are horrible, Brad Jones might be the worst starting player at any position in the NFL. OLBs and DBs will actually be pretty decent this year.

If Bulaga is our (okay, who am I kidding, he'll be done for the year) for any amount of time the OLine is in trouble.

Gotta love McCarthy. Wait to open up the offense until it's 29-10 in the 4th. Great offensive mind. One of the most frustrating playcallers I've ever seen. Loves to be as predictable as they come in the first 3 quarters and sets up a ton of 3rd and long, pass only situations. That's not a recipe for success.  I also cannot stand that in his press conferences he talks about needing to tackle better and eliminate the penalties every single week for the past 4 years.  You can talk about it as much as you want.  If you haven't fixed in in 4 years, it gets old.

Seahawks are clearly the better team. Ballhawks everywhere on defense and know how to tackle. A complete team. No real weakness offensively or defensively. And a playcaller who is willing to mix it up. Hate Carroll but he has his teams much more ready to go than McCarthy does.

I agree with you, and if we get another season of this crap again I think McCarthy should be gone and they should bring Darrell Bevell in.

Also frustrating because Capers has another built in excuse this year given the complete joke of personnel for the interior defenders at the DL and LB levels.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #342 on: September 05, 2014, 10:31:35 AM »
I agree with you, and if we get another season of this crap again I think McCarthy should be gone and they should bring Darrell Bevell in.

Also frustrating because Capers has another built in excuse this year given the complete joke of personnel for the interior defenders at the DL and LB levels.

The offense started to click once the Seahawks were sitting back in coverage a bit more, I don't think it had a lot to do with different or more creative playcalling.  Rodgers can do whatever he wants if defenses stop coming after him.   I do agree that a lot of times, the Packers play calling seems predictable, and our third and long play seems to consistently be, "everyone run deep and come back to the ball if Rodgers hasn't been sacked after 5 seconds."  Certainly not ready to indict McCarthy after a poor showing against the best defense since the early-2000s Bucs though.

On defense, I totally agree, the personnel just looked bad in the front 7.  Capers can draw up whatever weird formations he wants, it won't matter if the line is getting pushed back 3 yards every play.  None of the down linemen were holding their ground or  being disruptive.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Pennel play a bit more at the NT, and I also wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan Pickett re-signed. Brad Jones was invisible and AJ Hawk is AJ Hawk.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:33:54 AM by shiloh26 »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #343 on: September 05, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »

McCarthy and our offense are the problem with this team??  That's a stretch.

Thompson's dismal d drafting and inability to fix the S&C has much more to do with our mediocrity.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #344 on: September 05, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »
Anyone notice TJ Lang give Brother Rice a shout out during his intro? The Warriors are about to 4peat as State Champs in Michigan this year. Worship 
Follow him on twitter and he still seems to be involved with them, pretty cool exposure for them I'm sure.

As far as the game I think Bulaga's injury may have cost them the game. Had a chance to come back but that right side was blown up. We'll see how the team responds against a much more pedestrian Jets team...its a 16 game season for a reason and expecting a W in Seattle was probably asking a lot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #345 on: September 05, 2014, 12:30:40 PM »
Make sure your drafting Jarrett Boykin this year.

Good start.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #346 on: September 05, 2014, 01:16:40 PM »
Good start.

You realize that the Packers intentionally used him as a decoy to limit Sherman's involvement right?

brandx

« Reply #347 on: September 05, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »

You realize that the Packers intentionally used him as a decoy to limit Sherman's involvement right?

Not only Boykins, but they also split Quarles and Rodgers wide to Sherman's side as well.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #348 on: September 05, 2014, 01:26:16 PM »

Yes.  I don't know about you, but when I see a guy who doesn't do anything in the preseason and gets targeted 0 times and is used strictly as a decoy in the first game, I'm personally not thinking, "I need to make sure I'm drafting Jarrett Boykin this year" for fantasy football.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #349 on: September 05, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
Tough news on Bulaga, torn MCL. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pack used their IR designation already on Tretter, which puts them in a tough spot here with Bulaga. They can keep him on the 53 and make him a gameday inactive, but it'll cost a roster spot (assuming he's back in 4-8 weeks). My guess here is they would do that, and cut someone else to make room.

Pack catches a break with the extended time off, but tough break because the Jets defensive line is pretty good.

feedback