[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 586434 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #2375 on: March 06, 2015, 12:05:57 PM »
For a 5th-rounder apparently.

I like Marshall and he was the best WR in Bears' history but it was time for both sides to move on. The Bears have A LOT of holes to fill and giving up an aging but talented WR to free up $4M is worth it.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #2376 on: March 06, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »
Agreed. This move was necessary.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2377 on: March 06, 2015, 01:13:08 PM »
I disagree. I was in the camp that didnt have any problem with Marshall's actions last year. That season was a tire fire and I was happy someone was bringing some emotion and fire into the locker room. I dont know what percentage of Bears fans wanted him gone but if I had to guess it would be under 30.

The season was partially a tire fire cause he's one who helped to provide the tires.

He's now been sold at a bargain rate by his last three teams.  Not a coincidence.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2378 on: March 06, 2015, 02:09:20 PM »
"That's hardly a way to judge a receiver.  Look at who is throwing the ball to him and the offense they are running.  You pay someone for how much more valuable they are than a "replacement level player."  Overpaying in the NFL is a disaster. 

Look at Emmanuel Sanders.  Decent receiver in Pittsburgh, but then jumped to #5 in the NFL in receptions last year.  Did he suddenly become *that* much better? No...he was playing with Manning.

And his cap hit last year was less than $6M.  That is the type of guy TT needs to look for."

I agree qb plays a role as well as volume.  I don't believe sabermetrics work as well unless we're playing fantasy football, there are more variables that would go into value above bench player.  

If I was going to find true value on receivers I'd grade out every route for separation from cb, but I don't have the time.    Either way we know Cobb is a top 10 receiver statistically on the Packers, and that makes him a very valuable commodity.    

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #2379 on: March 06, 2015, 11:12:18 PM »
No way?  Cobb was #9 in receptions and #4 in td's last year.  If anything he surely is.

Adams had difficulty getting separation against nickel backs often last year.  Receiver is the new premium position.  Can't hope you hit on a third rounder in the draft especially with our infinitely porous defense that needs to be addressed.

Julius Thomas?  TT doesn't sign free agents in their prime.

All I'm saying is Cobb doesn't deserve the money he's looking for. He's a good WR, but I honestly don't see him as anything past a speedy slot guy with good hands. He isn't worth 10+ mil a year, that sort of money is reserved for Dez Bryant types (who IMO is the best in the game right now)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:17:30 PM by JuniorCardigan »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2380 on: March 07, 2015, 09:29:12 PM »
Pack sign Cobb. 4 years, $40 mil

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2381 on: March 07, 2015, 09:35:41 PM »
Pack sign Cobb. 4 years, $40 mil

Yup. Glad he's back. Slightly overpaid but we have the cap space. Now for Bulaga.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2382 on: March 07, 2015, 09:37:16 PM »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2383 on: March 07, 2015, 09:52:28 PM »
Good deal for Cobb, really good deal for Pack.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2384 on: March 07, 2015, 10:45:34 PM »
Yup. Glad he's back. Slightly overpaid but we have the cap space. Now for Bulaga.

I don't think he's being overpaid, they're paying the going rate for a great WR and true impact player like him.  HIs average annual is now right in line with other comparable WR's. 

Spectacular news. 

Agree completely too - Bulaga next, keep that O-line intact for at least a couple more years.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2385 on: March 08, 2015, 10:14:26 AM »
I'd like to see the pack get middle linebacker Denzel Perryman or the McKinney kid with the first pick.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2386 on: March 08, 2015, 11:52:41 AM »
I'm thinking Bulaga is gone if $7-8 mil is the real price.  Not going to make more than Josh and will never play LT for Pack.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2387 on: March 08, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »
I'm thinking Bulaga is gone if $7-8 mil is the real price.  Not going to make more than Josh and will never play LT for Pack.

The Packers need to pay him.  I wouldn't go so far as to pay him LT money, and that may complicate things if a) that's the position he wants to play, and b) a team is willing to hand their LT position to him and pay the going rate for a LT starter (which I wouldn't be surprised there were team(s)).

But for crying out loud, your LT starter now is on a rookie contract, so you have hardly anything invested at the tackle positions right now, and your depth at the position consists of an undrafted free agent coming off a torn ACL.  He's young, he's very good, he plays a critical positon protecting your franchise QB, pay the man.  And I predict they will pay him.  There was all this hand wringing about losing Cobb by JS writers, and they got his deal done post haste when the urgency was there to get it done.  

I love Sitton, but I just don't think it's the injustice of the world to pay Bulaga more than him.  Either tackle position is more critical than a guard.  And whose to say that Bulaga may end up as good or better than Sitton sooner than later?  The potential is certainly there.

I read the JS story by Silverstein and the points he raised not to pay Bulaga his market value were stupid.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:15:43 PM by HutchwasClutch »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2388 on: March 08, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »
The question is will Bulaga be able to stay on the field throughout the course of a full contract, or enough of it to make a big contract worth it?  I hope we get it done, but if teams are going to overpay him then you almost have to look elsewhere.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2389 on: March 08, 2015, 12:45:43 PM »
The Packers need to pay him.  I wouldn't go so far as to pay him LT money, and that may complicate things if a) that's the position he wants to play, and b) a team is willing to hand their LT position to him and pay the going rate for a LT starter (which I wouldn't be surprised there were team(s)).

But for crying out loud, your LT starter now is on a rookie contract, so you have hardly anything invested at the tackle positions right now, and your depth at the position consists of an undrafted free agent coming off a torn ACL.  He's young, he's very good, he plays a critical positon protecting your franchise QB, pay the man.  And I predict they will pay him.  There was all this hand wringing about losing Cobb by JS writers, and they got his deal done post haste when the urgency was there to get it done.  

I love Sitton, but I just don't think it's the injustice of the world to pay Bulaga more than him.  Either tackle position is more critical than a guard.  And whose to say that Bulaga may end up as good or better than Sitton sooner than later?  The potential is certainly there.

I read the JS story by Silverstein and the points he raised not to pay Bulaga his market value were stupid.

Respectfully, I disagree.  The Packers have two future expiring OL contracts AND Bulaga has had difficulty staying on the field.  I'd love to retain him too but he's not Pro Bowl material.  Rather, he's probably the most expendable of all the lineman.   One primary reason that we've had success is that we don't chase the dollar.  But let's hope they can work something out.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2390 on: March 08, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »
Respectfully, I disagree.  The Packers have two future expiring OL contracts AND Bulaga has had difficulty staying on the field.  I'd love to retain him too but he's not Pro Bowl material.  Rather, he's probably the most expendable of all the lineman.   One primary reason that we've had success is that we don't chase the dollar.  But let's hope they can work something out.

Yep, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I just remember how awful it was when the Pack tried trotting that stiff Allen Barbre out there as a starting RT.  Finding good tackles on either side is hard, as evidenced by how many teams have a need at one or both tackle positions.  And with Barclay, the ceiling only goes so high with him, plus he's coming off major injury.  So the internal candidates to replace Bulaga  are nil right now.  Offensive line and especially the tackle positions is not where you want to skimp with arguably the NFL's best player being the one they're protecting. 

If Thompson wouldn't have whiffed so terribly on the Sherrod 1st round selection, it would be a relatively easy decison to let Bulaga just walk if he's not willing to accept your price.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2391 on: March 08, 2015, 01:09:24 PM »
I'm not sure TT whiffed on the Sherrod selection.  The guy suffered a pretty catastrophic injury.  Remember that Barclay is coming off the exact same injury that Bulaga was last year.

That being said, I do think they should pay him.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2392 on: March 08, 2015, 01:12:29 PM »
I'm not sure TT whiffed on the Sherrod selection.  The guy suffered a pretty catastrophic injury.  Remember that Barclay is coming off the exact same injury that Bulaga was last year.

That being said, I do think they should pay him.

He whiffed on Sherrod.  Mike Flannagan suffered a terrible leg injury too early on as a Packer, a fracture as well I'm pretty sure (probably a different bone) but recovered, and went on to a very solid career as our starting C. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2393 on: March 08, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
Remember that Barclay is coming off the exact same injury that Bulaga was last year.

True, but while same injury as Bulaga's, nowhere near the potential and natual ability as Bulaga.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2394 on: March 08, 2015, 01:44:34 PM »
He whiffed on Sherrod.  Mike Flannagan suffered a terrible leg injury too early on as a Packer, a fracture as well I'm pretty sure (probably a different bone) but recovered, and went on to a very solid career as our starting C. 

Well it is hard for me to say that Flanagan's injury was better or worse than Sherrod's.  People also recover differently.

I just can't say that he was a whiff when the guy missed almost two years due to injury.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2395 on: March 08, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »
Suh to the Dolphins

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2396 on: March 08, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
Suh to the Dolphins

114mil, 60 mil guareented.......

Put him with Cameron Wake, Jordan, Odrick, Stark and that is a badass frontline line. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2397 on: March 08, 2015, 02:13:38 PM »
dolphins d started out great last year then faded.  Philbin's last shot to get it right  is this year.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2398 on: March 09, 2015, 12:18:14 AM »
SF putting Kap on the trade block.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2399 on: March 09, 2015, 12:37:35 AM »
SF putting Kap on the trade block.

Cmon bears.