[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 586685 times)

brandx

Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1750 on: December 23, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »
And the Jimmy Clausen experience has come to an end.  Out with a concussion and Bears are back to Cutty next week.

So how are those concussion precautions working out? The hit to the head to Clausen was as violent as you will ever see (and in plain view) yet he was allowed to continue.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #1751 on: December 23, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »
So how are those concussion precautions working out? The hit to the head to Clausen was as violent as you will ever see (and in plain view) yet he was allowed to continue.

Bingo. +100

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1752 on: December 23, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »

He passed all the protocols immediately after the hit, and again after the game.  Had a delayed reaction/symptoms which I don't believe is uncommon. I'm not sure what else the Drs are supposed to do.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: December 23, 2014, 12:10:52 PM »

He passed all the protocols immediately after the hit, and again after the game.  Had a delayed reaction/symptoms which I don't believe is uncommon. I'm not sure what else the Drs are supposed to do.

Immediately after he was hit, he popped right up.  There was no evidence that he had a concussion.  A couple minutes later, the game was over.

Yeah, I am not sure what the doctors could have done.

brandx

« Reply #1754 on: December 23, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »

No he didn't. He just went to the huddle and ran the next play.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: December 23, 2014, 12:35:15 PM »

Immediately after he was hit, he popped right up.  There was no evidence that he had a concussion.  A couple minutes later, the game was over.

Yeah, I am not sure what the doctors could have done.

It's not unusual for a person who received a concussion to show no symptoms for several minutes, hours or even days. That's often why you often hear of players suffering concussions a few days after the game was played but had no idea of the injury during the game.

The flaw in the NFL's concussion protocol is that there's nothing in there about common sense. If the NFL truly had an interest in player safety, Clausen would have been forced to come out of the game after that hit, at minimum to be tested for a concussion. Admittedly, I don't exactly know how that would be enforced because you'd basically have to leave it to the coaching staff and/or team doctors to see a play and react responsibly with "we need to get him outta there" but that's highly unlikely, especially when it's the starting QB.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:39:05 PM by MerrittsMustache »

brandx

« Reply #1756 on: December 23, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »
From NFL Concussion protocol:
To assist medical teams on game day, there is an "eye in the sky" - a certified athletic trainer sitting in a stadium box who watches the game and television replays to scan the field and look for players with a potential head injury who may require assessment by the medical staff. Also, a neuro-trauma expert physician unaffiliated with an NFL team will be available on the sideline as an extra set of eyes.

The NFL did not follow its own protocol. The whole purpose of the "eye in the sky" is precisely for what happened to Clausen.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1757 on: December 23, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »
But he showed no "signs of a potential head injury."  He didn't seem woozy or was stumbling in any manner.  I don't think simply taking a hard hit to the head is something they are looking for.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1758 on: December 23, 2014, 02:29:51 PM »
From NFL Concussion protocol:
To assist medical teams on game day, there is an "eye in the sky" - a certified athletic trainer sitting in a stadium box who watches the game and television replays to scan the field and look for players with a potential head injury who may require assessment by the medical staff. Also, a neuro-trauma expert physician unaffiliated with an NFL team will be available on the sideline as an extra set of eyes.

The NFL did not follow its own protocol. The whole purpose of the "eye in the sky" is precisely for what happened to Clausen.

Thanks, brandx. Good find.

But he showed no "signs of a potential head injury."  He didn't seem woozy or was stumbling in any manner.  I don't think simply taking a hard hit to the head is something they are looking for.

Assuming brandx copied verbatim, the verbiage doesn't say "signs of a potential head injury." It simply says "potential head injury." If the hit on Clausen wasn't considered a "potential head injury" then I don't know what could be.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:43:04 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: December 23, 2014, 03:01:30 PM »

Assuming brandx copied verbatim, the verbiage doesn't say "signs of a potential head injury." It simply says "potential head injury." If the hit on Clausen wasn't considered a "potential head injury" then I don't know what could be.

So what's to keep the Lions on Sunday from sending in a third-string punter after their first defensive play of the game to go into GB's huddle and headbutt Aaron Rodgers?  The Lions give up 15 yards, a first down, and their third-string punter is ejected from the game.  But now Aaron Rodgers is out of the game until they can assess him?  Seems like a decent price to pay if I'm the Lions.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1760 on: December 23, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »

My point is that just taking a hard hit to the head isn't what they are looking for.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1761 on: December 23, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
So what's to keep the Lions on Sunday from sending in a third-string punter after their first defensive play of the game to go into GB's huddle and headbutt Aaron Rodgers?  The Lions give up 15 yards, a first down, and their third-string punter is ejected from the game.  But now Aaron Rodgers is out of the game until they can assess him?  Seems like a decent price to pay if I'm the Lions.

You really think anyone involved in a play like that would have a job in the NFL for very much longer?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: December 23, 2014, 06:19:13 PM »

Sounds like roughly what the Lions do on a weekly basis.

You can't force a player to come out after every play. Someone's head hits something or someone else with some amount of force on literally every NFL play. Claussen showed nothing to think he was concussed immediately after the hit. It's not like when the Lions concussed Rodgers a couple years ago and he couldn't get up, couldn't open his fist, etc. so the Packers just took a timeout until he collected himself and sent him back out. That was dumb. Not taking Claussen out when he showed no signs wasn't stupid. Although playing football in and of itself is stupid if you don't want your life shortened.

This discussion reminds me of when Gallardo tore his ACL...and the Brewers trainer evaluated him and sent him back out to pitch. I was watching that live and immediately said, "Well, that sucks, he just tore his ACL." I have no idea how you send him back out after that. The human knee does not bend side to side like his did.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1763 on: December 23, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »

What's to stop a team from doing that anyway? Or from taking cheap shots to Rodgers with intent to injure him (or anyone else) during the actual course of the game?

My point is that just taking a hard hit to the head isn't what they are looking for.

But it should be. Obviously they can't see everything, but when it's as blatant as the shot that Clausen took, they have to get him out of the game if the NFL wants to continue to claim that they truly care about player safety, particularly in regards to head injuries. It shouldn't matter if he showed immediate symptoms because concussions aren't like broken bones or torn ligaments - the effect is not always immediate.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1764 on: December 23, 2014, 11:00:24 PM »
What's to stop a team from doing that anyway? Or from taking cheap shots to Rodgers with intent to injure him (or anyone else) during the actual course of the game?

But it should be. Obviously they can't see everything, but when it's as blatant as the shot that Clausen took, they have to get him out of the game if the NFL wants to continue to claim that they truly care about player safety, particularly in regards to head injuries. It shouldn't matter if he showed immediate symptoms because concussions aren't like broken bones or torn ligaments - the effect is not always immediate.

Should they? Yes, obviously, from both a moral and medical setting. However, the NFL will continue to say and do whatever the hell it wants to - there is so much evidence that supports that out there these days. Who's going to come down on the NFL for anything? Especially with the outcome of the concussion lawsuits.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1765 on: December 24, 2014, 08:43:54 AM »

If that's what ten standard is going to be, they better expand the rosters to about 80 guys.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #1766 on: December 24, 2014, 02:41:52 PM »

Agreed. While he didn't show the most apparent concussion symptom (the fencing response/arms going up in the air) he definitely should have been taken out immediately because he took a brutal shot to the head.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1767 on: December 24, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »
Wow.  It was just reported that the Fox affiliate in Chicago will be showing the meaningless Arizona/San Fran game this weekend.  Good thing chick and I will be in Milwaukee for the MU game.  We'll obviously stay to watch the Pack.  Not to show the NFC North Championship game down here is just a crime.  What a programming blunder. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1768 on: December 24, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
Wow.  It was just reported that the Fox affiliate in Chicago will be showing the meaningless Arizona/San Fran game this weekend.  Good thing chick and I will be in Milwaukee for the MU game.  We'll obviously stay to watch the Pack.  Not to show the NFC North Championship game down here is just a crime.  What a programming blunder. 

Reported by who?  Not according to the 506:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2014&wk=17
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1769 on: December 25, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
Not sure Benny.  My son read it somewhere surfing the web.  Let's hope you're info is accurate.  The Pack is always shown in Chicago when it doesn't conflict with the Bears so I was very surprised.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1770 on: December 26, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »
As of this afternoon, Fox 32's website says Packers/Lions on Sunday, so maybe he got some bad or obsolete information.  I would be in utter shock if WFLD aired the AZ/SF game. 

Now if 32 wanted to air the STL/SEA game, that I could understand; in fact, that would be awesome for me since I can pull both WFLD and WITI at my house (meaning I could watch both games that are actually meaningful for the Packers shot at the 1-seed).

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #1771 on: December 27, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »

So their third string punter must not care about being featured in the 30 for 30 special: The Worst Person To Ever Play Football.

brandx

« Reply #1772 on: December 27, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »
Harbaugh to Michigan by Tuesday.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: December 28, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »
Monday
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American