[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 586905 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1500 on: November 10, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »
Question: Any indication if Peterson face a conduct violation suspension? (Asking for a friend.)

He may, they are now considering it.  Personally, I think he gets a minimum of an additional 4 games.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1501 on: November 10, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »
He may, they are now considering it.  Personally, I think he gets a minimum of an additional 4 games.

Uh, thanks.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1502 on: November 10, 2014, 09:41:01 PM »
Man Cutler showed no heart last night.   Glad I picked up Mark Sanchez for FF, cause Cut is reeling now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1503 on: November 10, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
Man Cutler showed no heart last night.   Glad I picked up Mark Sanchez for FF, cause Cut is reeling now.

FIRE CAPERS!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1504 on: November 10, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »
FIRE CAPERS!

I've never called for Capers's job, think he's the best we can do.    Other people have, but I'm not gonna throw it in their face, it was one game.  Hope we keep the good d play up.  Moving Matthews inside was genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1505 on: November 11, 2014, 05:44:00 AM »
I never thought Chip Kelly would be this good in the NFL.  With Foles emergence last year, and Sanchez's performance last night, it makes you wonder if he has figured out a way to simplify the quarterback position in a way that is going to make it easier for teams to not have to invest such big $$ into the position.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1506 on: November 11, 2014, 08:47:41 AM »
Wow even Gov. Walker getting in on it. Tweeted that he has more victories in WI than Jay Cutler, there goes the Bear fans vote if he runs for Prez

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1507 on: November 11, 2014, 09:25:06 AM »
Cutler is a top 15-20 QB in the NFL. At his absolute best, he's top 10. (We all agree?) Based on supply/demand, the Bears were in a tough spot with Cutler this off-season and chose a long term (fair-market) deal instead of franchising him. (Still on the same page?) Someone could do the math and compare Cutler's cap hit in this contract vs. a couple seasons of franchising him.  Cutler has been bad from the second half of last season through today (Still good?). Cutler is clearly not a good enough QB to make up for deficiencies on an NFL team. (Yes?) The Bears are a bad team whether or not Cutler is the QB here. (Ok?) And that probably starts from at least Trestman on down, though you could make an argument for Emery or upper-level execs - I'm looking at you, Ted Philips. (Sound reasonable?)

I've made no excuses for Cutler in the preceding paragraph. I have said he's bad. I've said he has the capability to be good. I've said he cannot carry/make up for problems on a team. But the Bears are bad all over the field and on the sideline as well.

Very well stated. Simple, clear and concise. I agree on all counts.

The additional issue that the Bears face is that the QB position, though sub-par, is not even one of their primary weaknesses. If you were going to rank the Bears' biggest areas for improvement...safeties, linebackers, pass rusher, right tackle, #3 WR, and possibly even CBs, and kick returners would be before QB. The roster is a complete mess right now and the coaching staff is in over their heads. Not a good combo.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1508 on: November 11, 2014, 09:40:10 AM »
Yeaaa, nm thought better of it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:44:57 AM by ChitownJuan »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1509 on: November 11, 2014, 10:00:06 AM »

The additional issue that the Bears face is that the QB position, though sub-par, is not even one of their primary weaknesses. If you were going to rank the Bears' biggest areas for improvement...safeties, linebackers, pass rusher, right tackle, #3 WR, and possibly even CBs, and kick returners would be before QB. The roster is a complete mess right now and the coaching staff is in over their heads. Not a good combo.

When you have a pass catching threat like Bennett at tight end the #3 wide receiver becomes fairly unimportant.  As long as you have 3 threats to catch the ball you are just fine there, especially when you have a back like Forte who is a threat to catch the ball out of the back field as well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1510 on: November 11, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »

I think Santonio Holmes is a fine #3 receiver, but it doesn't seem like Jay ever looks his way.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1511 on: November 11, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »

While you are correct on the other weaknesses, the reality of today's NFL is, if your QB play is sub-par it is your primary weakness. In other words, if your QB play is sub-par, nothing else really matters. When you have problems elsewhere, it just exacerbates the problem.

75% or so of teams pretty much start the year eliminated from Super Bowl contention because their QB is simply not capable of getting them there. The Bears are a train wreck all over, but indications seem to point more and more to Jay being among the 75% and not the 25%.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1512 on: November 11, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
While you are correct on the other weaknesses, the reality of today's NFL is, if your QB play is sub-par it is your primary weakness. In other words, if your QB play is sub-par, nothing else really matters. When you have problems elsewhere, it just exacerbates the problem.

75% or so of teams pretty much start the year eliminated from Super Bowl contention because their QB is simply not capable of getting them there. The Bears are a train wreck all over, but indications seem to point more and more to Jay being among the 75% and not the 25%.

Rex Grossman and the 06 Bears and the 85 Bears with McMahon beg to differ...

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1513 on: November 11, 2014, 11:01:27 AM »
Yep, that's why I said today's NFL. 2006 was a lifetime ago (and BTW, they lost...to Peyton Manning).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1514 on: November 11, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »
Yep, that's why I said today's NFL. 2006 was a lifetime ago (and BTW, they lost...to Peyton Manning).

Dude, you're just a Cutler hater...

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #1515 on: November 11, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »

I've heard a lot of screaming and yelling about Mel Tucker. (Listened to the SCORE yesterday.  Every Packer fan should do that after a win)  Does he have the horses or is he a horsesh*t coordinator?   I thought the Bears were gonna bite it and start from scratch on defense.

Based on Monday's radio talk, If I were Trestman, I'd watch my dog.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1516 on: November 11, 2014, 11:26:32 AM »

No disagreement that QB in today's nfl is the most important. But I think it also depends on how the rest of your team is composed. Flacco, Wilson, kapernick, even Eli probably aren't good enough to elevate a team to a super bowl level on their own. Right now, I'd put all 4 of those guys above Cutler, just so we're all clear

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1517 on: November 11, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »
I've heard a lot of screaming and yelling about Mel Tucker. (Listened to the SCORE yesterday.  Every Packer fan should do that after a win)  Does he have the horses or is he a horsesh*t coordinator?   I thought the Bears were gonna bite it and start from scratch on defense.

That's a great chicken or the egg argument. I don't think Tucker is good but I also don't think that he designs plays that give WRs 12 yards of space. That's on the players. Linebackers are brutal. Secondary is really young with Fuller and Vereen and on paper the D line should be much better than they are.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1518 on: November 11, 2014, 11:41:30 AM »

The Score is even entertaining for Bears fans after losses. It's like listening to a spoof of meathead football fans after a loss.

Anyway, the Bears' D lacks in talent, but one of the major issues is that the players don't know what's going on. Even going back to last season, there have been major blown coverages and missed assignments because defenders aren't on the same page. On the first Nelson TD, the Bears' defenders were playing 3 different defenses! There's clearly something lacking in terms of preparation, communication and scheme...you know, the primary aspects of coaching. There's too much experience on that D to be making the gaffs that they're making. A bulk of the blame has to fall on Tucker.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1519 on: November 11, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »

I agree with all of this.  While Cutler is an 'average' to 'slightly above average' QB, what happened on Sunday night really wasn't his fault.  As a Packer fan I was pleased that the Bears re-signed him long term as we absolutely do have his number.  But the Bears problems run much deeper than Jay.  Aaron Rodgers could have agreed to switch uniforms each possession and the Rodgers led Packers would still have soundly beaten the Rodgers led Bears.  The Bear defense is simply terrible.  Does anyone here believe that the Packers couldn't have scored 70 had they wanted to?  They literally called off the dogs at halftime and both teams would have happily gone to the showers.  We should feel good that seemingly no major injuries occurred.  

I actually feel sorry for some of the proud Bear players who are experiencing this; an epic collapse of a historic franchise.  Lance Briggs was one hell of a player.  I'm sure he wishes his team was better and is envious of his friend now playing brilliantly 200 miles to the north.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1520 on: November 11, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
Wow even Gov. Walker getting in on it. Tweeted that he has more victories in WI than Jay Cutler, there goes the Bear fans vote if he runs for Prez

Sorry.  Reread my post and decided it was ever so slightly political, albeit in good fun.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1521 on: November 11, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
Sorry.  Reread my post and decided it was ever so slightly political, albeit in good fun.

Yea, took my post back earlier too. Though it was much more angry and (possibly) offensive towards Walker.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:56:42 AM by ChitownJuan »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1522 on: November 11, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
I actually feel sorry for some of the proud Bear players who are experiencing this; an epic collapse of a historic franchise.  Lance Briggs was one hell of a player.  I'm sure he wishes his team was better and is envious of his friend now playing brilliantly 200 miles to the north.

Don't feel too sorry for Briggs. He made $7.5M last year and is making $6.5M this year, yet he completely mailed it in after injuring his shoulder last season. He was expected to miss 6 weeks and was out for 9, coming back overweight and out of shape for the final 2 games and then he showed up for training camp still overweight and out of shape. He also recently admitted to tuning out during team meetings. He was a great player and I loved watching him play, but he's lost interest.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1523 on: November 11, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »
That's a great chicken or the egg argument. I don't think Tucker is good but I also don't think that he designs plays that give WRs 12 yards of space. That's on the players.

Perhaps, but on the first touch down to Jordy, the fact that I could tell what was about to happen seeing only a portion of the field and players involved, while 11 players and multiple coaches on the field or in the booth didn't recognize it and at least try to call time out or adjust in some way, is an indictment of a completely unprepared coaching staff. The fact that it later happened again, just makes it that much worse. Talent problems? Yes. Serious coaching problems as well? Absolutely.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1524 on: November 11, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »

http://deadspin.com/twitter-users-harass-marc-trestmans-daughters-after-bea-1657009542

Gotta love internet courage/anonymity...  So embarrassing.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback