'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: which conference is better?  (Read 30453 times)

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
which conference is better?
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
Alright guys, I think its time to admit that the AAC is easily better than this New Big East conference we are in. I previously said that the AAC was gonna be inferior to the new big east.  Boy was I wrong!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:54:30 AM by Dreadman24 »

denverMU

• All American
Re: which conference is better?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »
Yes you are wrong.  RPI-Big East #4, AAC #8.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:09:18 PM »
Way off.  Half of the AAC are relative cupcakes (Rutgers, UCF, USF, Houston, and Temple) which makes it easy to rack up wins.

Nine of the ten Big East's teams are Top-100 in kenpom.  Even Depaul's kenpom (145) is better than each of those 5 cupcakes (all are 160 and higher).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
Alright guys, I think its time to admit that the AAC is easily better than this New Big East conference we are in. I previously said that the AAC was gonna be inferior to the new big east.  Boy was I wrong!

This post is implying/suggesting that we could have been part of the AAC and elected not too.  The AAC was never, ever, an option for a non-football school like MU.  All the non-football schools did the best they could with the NBE.  So, what's the point?

Why not compare the NBE to the PAC-12, that is just as relevant as comparing it to the AAC.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:21:49 PM by Heisenberg »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »
What are their numbers without Louisville? 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »
What are their numbers without Louisville? 

Remember Louisville goes to the ACC next year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 12:17:03 PM »
Yes you are wrong.  RPI-Big East #4, AAC #8.

Are you saying that Dreadman24 was wrong then, wrong now, or pretty much always wrong?  I'll go with the last option.

It's a good thing for Dreadman24 to change his mind, that way he's got a shot to be correct at some point.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:33:59 PM »
Just like I was wrong about Vander declaring, JJJ committing, us being overrated before the season..should I go on??

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:34:16 PM »
Boy was I wrong.

For starting this stupid thread? I agree.

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »
Just like I was wrong about Vander declaring, JJJ committing, us being overrated before the season..should I go on??

Yeah, please go on.....with all of your expert predictions.  Just like Vander is getting drafted and Buzz is going to SMU.

Haha you guys seem so shocked and upset. I told all of you MONTHS ago that he was entering the draft. That's the only reason JJJ signed!! And for all you Vander Blue haters he will get drafted and have a career in the NBA! It's all about potential and Vander has tons of it at only 20 YEARS OLD. That's what he has going for him and it mean a lot to NBA scouts. Good move Vander!

I think we all are being nieve to the fact that Buzz is taking SMU serious:/

I hate to say it but i think hes gone

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:01:35 PM »
Sans Louisville, AAC is nowhere close to the Big East

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:04:44 PM »
Yeah, please go on.....with all of your expert predictions.  Just like Vander is getting drafted and Buzz is going to SMU.

Let us all not forget he also said JJJ told Buzz in January (may have been December) that he's transferring.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
Stop feeding the troll. Just starve him out and let him die.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »
If this is the conference we are comparing new BE to we are in trouble long term. The new BE is less than impressive to me now and I do not have high hopes for Butler and Creighton long term. It was best option we had, but not a great selling tool to recruits IMO.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
If this is the conference we are comparing new BE to we are in trouble long term. The new BE is less than impressive to me now and I do not have high hopes for Butler and Creighton long term. It was best option we had, but not a great selling tool to recruits IMO.

What exactly were you expecting?  Because honestly I think the BE has pretty much met my expectations for this year...Nova and X have exceeded...MU and Georgetown have been disappointing, but there are a lot of good programs.

And as for the future, the BE has five programs ranked in Scout's top 25 team rankings for 2014.  That's more than any conference but the ACC who has six.  (And since the ACC has 17 teams, that is a much lower percentage than the BE with 10.)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
Sultan,

I got exactly what I expected unfortunately. I was the one guy on here not giddy about the new conference and less excited moving forward with it. I see Butler and Creighton taking major steps backwards next year and other than St. John's see little in remaining group to upgrade the conference.

Again, if comparing ourselves to another average conference is our benchmark we are in trouble.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
Sultan,

I got exactly what I expected unfortunately. I was the one guy on here not giddy about the new conference and less excited moving forward with it. I see Butler and Creighton taking major steps backwards next year and other than St. John's see little in remaining group to upgrade the conference.

Again, if comparing ourselves to another average conference is our benchmark we are in trouble.

The only person comparing us to the AAC is Dreadman.  That should tell you something.

But Xavier, Providence and Seton Hall look like they are improving.  I mean Seton Hall signed the #2 ranked prospect in the country.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »

What exactly were you expecting?  Because honestly I think the BE has pretty much met my expectations for this year...Nova and X have exceeded...MU and Georgetown have been disappointing, but there are a lot of good programs.

Right now the strength of the NBE is its bottom teams are much better than the bottom teams of any other conference.

NBE teams do not get an "off night" like other conferences.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »

Not in any objective fashion.

RPI, Big East easily outpaces AAC  (4th vs 8th)
Sagarin USA Today, Big East easily ahead of AAC  (4th vs 8th)
Warren Nolan, Big East easily ahead of AAC  (3rd vs 7th)

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »
AAC has 5 team in the top 25. They are a lock to have 5 teams in the tournament:/

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
I guess it depends what you're looking for in a conference.  Would you rather have RPI ranks:

14, 28, 30, 33 (leaving), 39, 135 (coming), 151, 175, 178, 194 (leaving), 200 (coming), 218 (coming), 219

or

3, 13, 37, 49, 57, 63, 89, 117, 119, 120

The AAC is on pace to have 5 teams make it because the bottom 5 have little to no chance of beating the top 5 any night.  Next year it will be the top 4 teams beating up on the bottom 7.   I'll take the Big East over the American any day.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »
I guess it depends what you're looking for in a conference.  Would you rather have RPI ranks:

14, 28, 30, 33 (leaving), 39, 135 (coming), 151, 175, 178, 194 (leaving), 200 (coming), 218 (coming), 219

or

3, 13, 37, 49, 57, 63, 89, 117, 119, 120

The AAC is on pace to have 5 teams make it because the bottom 5 have little to no chance of beating the top 5 any night.  Next year it will be the top 4 teams beating up on the bottom 7.   I'll take the Big East over the American any day.

you put big east top 5 up against aac top 5. AAC will win at least 3 out of 5 games

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 04:34:14 PM »
you put big east top 5 up against aac top 5. AAC will win at least 3 out of 5 games

I actually doubt that. Nova and Creighton would take their top 2. And I don't think UConn or Memphis are better than X, St. Johns or Prov. I'd say it would favor the Big East by a 4-1 or 3-2 margin.

But as said before, the AAC is ridiculously top heavy. The entire bottom half of the conference is a joke. And after Louisville leaves, the top won't be as good as the Big East either.

The conference RPI speaks for itself. They are 8th. They aren't even as good as the Atlantic 10, and are closer to being on par with the WCC or Mountain West than the Big East.

The only thing the AAC will have going for it after this year is UConn, Memphis and Cincy. These are the only 3 teams that will ever compete for the conference and generally the only 3 that will get NCAA bids. After that the rest of the conference is essentially a mid-tier mid-major, on par with CUSA or the Horizon. The ceiling for the AAC is a 3 bid league, while the Big East will have the potential to have 5 bid seasons quite often.

In short, you are wrong.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:39:56 PM by Bleuteaux »

slack00

• Starter
Re: which conference is better? (ONLY TOP 5 TEAMS!!!)
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 04:39:58 PM »
Alright guys, I think its time to admit that the top of the AAC is easily better than the top of this New Big East conference we are in. I previously said that the AAC was gonna be inferior to the new big east.  Boy was I wrong!  They could hypothetically win 3 of 5 games if you matched up only the top teams!  (But maybe only this year)

Fixed.  Lock the thread.  No need to discuss this anymore.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 04:45:06 PM »
AAC has 5 team in the top 25. They are a lock to have 5 teams in the tournament:/
Cincy, L'ville, Memphis, SMU and UConn.