Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No one ripping on Buzz this morning??  (Read 7364 times)

River rat

• Team Captain
No one ripping on Buzz this morning??
« on: February 05, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »
The last few months have seen post after post of Buzz being too big for his britches, Buzz being a bad coach, Buzz needing to model his program after Northwestern, etc.

Yet no one makes comment ( or realized)  that Buzz coached his counterparts as.. off last night.   After 60 minutes of Butler packing 5 guys into the paint against Mu. Buzz waited until after halftime and thru the 4 out offense with the weave and single high screen and then later changed it to a double high to pull the Butler defenders out of the paint and space the floor and allow for drives and slips. 

Literally blew them out of the water after the change.  MAke some free throws and we win by 15. 

Sort of surprised no one was on here acknowledging the job the staff did.. or am i?

Also, noticed there were no kudos for derrick, but thats another thread entirely, actually prolly 50 by the end of the season.

tower912

• All American
Re: No one ripping on Buzz this morning??
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
It isn't permitted to give Derrick credit when he doesn't score a lot of points.   It is gauche to praise Buzz for doing his job.     ::)   You are correct, though.   Different offensive sets in the second half, kept changing line ups until he found one that worked and then rode it.   And somebody finally made a shot.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
It isn't permitted to give Derrick credit when he doesn't score a lot of points.   It is gauche to praise Buzz for doing his job.     ::)   You are correct, though.   Different offensive sets in the second half, kept changing line ups until he found one that worked and then rode it.   And somebody finally made a shot.   

Bottom line Mu is not a collection of shooters.  we all know that.  Butler for 60 minutes did a great job of keeping MU as a Jump shooting team,  the high screens opened the lane and we had a number of layups and paint touches for great looks.  Passing the ball around the perimeter for a clock beating 3 usually wont fall or they double teamed the entry pass.  4 guys out tand the high screens eliminated the double teams and opened driving lanes.  great job by Buzz and great job to not show it til after half time.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »
The last few months have seen post after post of Buzz being too big for his britches, Buzz being a bad coach, Buzz needing to model his program after Northwestern, etc.

Yet no one makes comment ( or realized)  that Buzz coached his counterparts as.. off last night.   After 60 40 minutes of Butler packing 5 guys into the paint against Mu. Buzz waited until after halftime and thru the 4 out offense with the weave and single high screen and then later changed it to a double high to pull the Butler defenders out of the paint and space the floor and allow for drives and slips. 

Literally blew them out of the water after the change.  MAke some free throws and we win by 15. 

Sort of surprised no one was on here acknowledging the job the staff did.. or am i?

Also, noticed there were no kudos for derrick, but thats another thread entirely, actually prolly 50 by the end of the season.

Bottom line Mu is not a collection of shooters.  we all know that.  Butler for 60 40 minutes did a great job of keeping MU as a Jump shooting team,  the high screens opened the lane and we had a number of layups and paint touches for great looks.  Passing the ball around the perimeter for a clock beating 3 usually wont fall or they double teamed the entry pass.  4 guys out tand the high screens eliminated the double teams and opened driving lanes.  great job by Buzz and great job to not show it til after half time.

Fixed your posts for you.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
Most fans are reactionary. They will react to whatever happened most recently. Except the Dawson/Derrick debate. That is eternal
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
The offense run in the last 12 minutes of the second half was the right thing to do, especially considering we were about 10 points down. Congrats to Buzz and staff. Now why can't that happen in a lot of other games? Could it be that we were dealing with a rookie coach of a last place team? Let's see how this plays out over the rest of the season. Hope the staff can make adjustments to each opponents strengths and weaknesses. Burton and Mayo both had excellent 2nd halves. But there are a number of Burton detractors on this board, and there have been games where he only played a few minutes. And Mayo is about the most inconsistent player on the team, who should not be at this point of his career. Hope he has turned the corner. Saw one post that said that Burton has never met a shot he did not like. Right now,  tend to agree. Guess what? That also applies to Mayo. Like their aggressiveness, but have they learned to control it? And remember, not any of our remaining opponents will be Butler.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
i don't think he plays the freshman enough, but i think most on here would agree we really only know enough to judge buzz on wins/losses.  the rest is just a fun debate.  i don't think i'm hearing anyone say they feel buzz has done a good job with this team. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »
Aside from willie I do not think anyone has an issue with Buzz, especially in the big picture. Buzz has earned the respect of the fans and do not think questioning rotation is a big jab at Buzz. As for praise last night, we barely beat one of the worst teams in our conference at home. Hardly doing cartwheels after the most recent victory.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 01:11:05 PM »
Buzz finally changed the offense a little bit by setting double screens at the top of the key, Mayo was able to turn the corner and get open.   Todd does need some space to get open, off a pick. He is not quick enough really to get his own shot.  Unfortunately, when MU does get the ball up the court with a potential fastbreak, if Derrick is leading it, he does not want to shot a fifteen footer ever.  I am curious, MU has all those coaches, is there anybody there that can help his shot?  Free throws are awful as well??  This is his third year at MU, he has not shown any
ability other than a lay-up.  I wonder what the coaches saw in high school?

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 01:15:14 PM »
Im not coming on here and saying based on last night we are a good team or Burton or Todd are anything more than they are.

Pointing out the fact that there have been dozens of strings over the last few months that stated, matter of factly, that Buzz had morphed into a bad coach.  

Also, in what i have deemed " The Worst MUScoop Post of All-time" we had one poster/poser stating that Buzz should model his program after the worst program in the history of collge basketball and take his cues from a rookie head coach.

I am Simply stating that Buzz made a coaching decision that completely changed the game.  My guess is most people did not even notice it and that no one came on here and acknowledged that after being a good coach for 5 years our now terrible coach made a great coaching call.  

i guess im slurping

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »
Im not coming on here and saying based on last night we are a good team or Burton or Todd are anything more than they are.

Pointing out the fact that there have been dozens of strings over the last few months that stated, matter of factly, that Buzz had morphed into a bad coach.  

Also, in what i have deemed " The Worst MUScoop Post of All-time" we had one poster/poser stating that Buzz should model his program after the worst program in the history of collge basketball and take his cues from a rookie head coach.

I am Simply stating that Buzz made a coaching decision that completely changed the game.  My guess is most people did not even notice it and that no one came on here and acknowledged that after being a good coach for 5 years our now terrible coach made a great coaching call.  

i guess im slurping
Well, you certainly are not slurping Northwestern!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 01:26:41 PM »

i guess im slurping
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what D1 team does have the worst record of all time. Can't believe it is NW.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »
My guess it is prolly a underfunded southern conference team or such.  But from Majors Northwestern is right up there.  Funny thing is until Bo, Wisconsin was right down there with them. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 01:54:20 PM »

Yet no one makes comment ( or realized)  that Buzz coached his counterparts as.. off last night.   After 60 minutes of Butler packing 5 guys into the paint against Mu. Buzz waited until after halftime and thru the 4 out offense with the weave and single high screen and then later changed it to a double high to pull the Butler defenders out of the paint and space the floor and allow for drives and slips. 

River Rat, this is a bit ironic, don't you think?  Ask yourself the exact inverse question about certain subjects you start here when a team loses and how quiet you are when they win.  Perfect inversion of what you are opining about in this thread.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
River Rat, this is a bit ironic, don't you think?  Ask yourself the exact inverse question about certain subjects you start here when a team loses and how quiet you are when they win.  Perfect inversion of what you are opining about in this thread.

Exactly.

Todd Mayo.... Played.... Played well... Got minutes....

Marquette Won..... No ripping Buzz post go up....

If he didnt play.... They probably lose.... Forums go wild...

Its simple...

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 02:12:16 PM »

BS

I have said in numerous threads that Buzz is coaching his ass off this year.  I know first hand that no coach coaches harder than during seasons like this.  Also the kids are playing as hard as they can.  I have also stated numerous times that due to transfers, early departures, and injuries that we are a little undertalented, underathletic and inconsistant this year, but this should not distract for the effort of the players or the efforts or abilities of our coaching staff.  I have made afew posts about no longer being on Jamils bandwagon and that he makes too many bad decisions to get behind any longer( last night perfect example...you have half your teams points and you pick up 2 fouls in the first 2 minutes of the second half including traying to take a charge on a fast break)  I am ambivalent about Jamil at this point. 
This is what I have stated in neumerous threads this season win or lose.

You are the double talker of the board and have been called out on it thousands of times. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »
River Rat

What transfers are you talking about? McKay? If so, do you know why he left?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 02:38:15 PM »
Buzz finally changed the offense a little bit by setting double screens at the top of the key, Mayo was able to turn the corner and get open.   Todd does need some space to get open, off a pick. He is not quick enough really to get his own shot.  Unfortunately, when MU does get the ball up the court with a potential fastbreak, if Derrick is leading it, he does not want to shot a fifteen footer ever.  I am curious, MU has all those coaches, is there anybody there that can help his shot?  Free throws are awful as well??  This is his third year at MU, he has not shown any
ability other than a lay-up.  I wonder what the coaches saw in high school?
Here you go this is what they saw:

High School: Four-time All-New England selection at The Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, Conn., under head coach Fred Benjamin ... Three-time player of the year in the league ... Served as team captain for three seasons ... Helped team to four league titles and the squad lost just two conference games during his tenure ... Squad also finished first in the tri-state area all four years and competed in the all-region tournament ... Named program's best offensive player final three years ... Contributed 17.0 points, 6.0 assists, 5.6 rebounds and 4.0 steals per game as a senior ... McDonald's All-American nominee ... Averaged 23.0 points, 8.0 assists, 8.0 rebounds and 5.0 steals per game as a junior ... Chipped in 19.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and 6.0 assists per outing as a sophomore and helped lead the team to the semifinals of the tri-state tournament [/b]... Was tabbed to the tri-state first team squad and claimed a pair of most valuable player honors during regular season tourney action ... Named to several all-star squads on the AAU circuit and participated in the NBA Top 100 Camp on a pair of occasions ... Was the player of the year in New England
Goal is National Championship

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »
Most fans are reactionary. They will react to whatever happened most recently. Except the Dawson/Derrick debate. That is eternal

As eternal as our love for AL.
SS Marquette

brandx

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 02:59:11 PM »

I mentioned on a couple threads last night that Derrick played very well.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 07:43:22 PM »
i don't think he plays the freshman enough, but i think most on here would agree we really only know enough to judge buzz on wins/losses.  the rest is just a fun debate.  i don't think i'm hearing anyone say they feel buzz has done a good job with this team. 

JJJ played and did nothing. Burton got god minutes and contributed. What is Buzz supposed to do?

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »
River Rat

What transfers are you talking about? McKay? If so, do you know why he left?

Referencing backcourt transfers.  I have no inside knowledge of why mckay left, i will tell u though my experience of guys leaving after two days is that they are hairy wet cats, only hairy wet cats quit 2 days in.

TJ Taylor is the guy who was in line to help in the back court last year and this year he would have been a 4th year junior.  And a significant upgrade in theory to Thomas.  Additionally, reggie Smith could have been a veteran at this point and is doing fairly well .  throw in Blue and thats a significantly better backcourt.  Obviously speculation but those two came in with significantly more expectations that Thomas and derrick who were to be the backup and the walkon.

The infortunate thing is give MU a bucket or two more in regulation with al little more talented backcourt in a handful of games and the season takes on a completely different complexion.  its that simple.  2-3-4 points in the ASU, Butler, and Nova games and we are talking 16-7, there were some others too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »

The infortunate thing is give MU a bucket or two more in regulation with al little more talented backcourt in a handful of games and the season takes on a completely different complexion.  its that simple.  2-3-4 points in the ASU, Butler, and Nova games and we are talking 16-7, there were some others too.

I get why fans do this, but there is the other side of the coin.  2-3-4 less points  in the Seton Hall, New Hampshire, Georgetown in regulation and you can make the reverse argument.  It cuts both ways. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 02:37:02 PM »
I get why fans do this, but there is the other side of the coin.  2-3-4 less points  in the Seton Hall, New Hampshire, Georgetown in regulation and you can make the reverse argument.  It cuts both ways. 

True. But if we added Vander, etc. which scenario is more likely to happen? It's kinda like trying to project vander into the 2014 nba draft while still in 2013. he was more likely to improve, but it isn't a guarantee, because he could have stayed the same or gotten worse.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »

While that is no doubt true, River rat's original point is that if our backcourt was slightly better, to the tune of being worth an extra 4 points a game, we'd have a significantly better record.  That logic of his argument implies that those 2 point wins become 6 point wins, doesn't it?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.