Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No one ripping on Buzz this morning??  (Read 7363 times)

River rat

• Team Captain
Re: No one ripping on Buzz this morning??
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 03:06:50 PM »
I get why fans do this, but there is the other side of the coin.  2-3-4 less points  in the Seton Hall, New Hampshire, Georgetown in regulation and you can make the reverse argument.  It cuts both ways. 

Umm really I understand ur inexplicable desire to argue everything, take the unpopular point of view on everything and to play devils advocate as well.  Most people refer to people like this as Richards, but I cannot tell you how to act. 
besides that its really an unintelligent statement.  One can state it goes both ways when all things are equal.  But we are not comparing equal things, we are at a minimum comparing Vander to Jake.  Vander is a better defender, better rebounder and a better scorer.  Given that the opinion or argument can be made that we are say -5 pts per game at the 2G this year.
If you cannot understand that and want to say it works both ways and play devils advocate then that is your choice just understand you make urself look even dumber and u are wrong.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
Way to Go RIVER RAT---Thomas couldn't carry Vander's JOCK STRAP. Jake is not a D-1 player as many of us
already mentioned. But he does hustle. Not a good shooter in D-1.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 05:35:07 PM »
I probably get mad at Buzz, but I think he is the best coach we had since AL. Tan Tommy is pretty close.

Lot of us live in  the past. Packers to Vince and MU to AL. Very tough act to follow. Met him three times.  A gentleman until the ball is in the air. Then it's time for business.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 06:18:57 PM »
True. But if we added Vander, etc. which scenario is more likely to happen? It's kinda like trying to project vander into the 2014 nba draft while still in 2013. he was more likely to improve, but it isn't a guarantee, because he could have stayed the same or gotten worse.

Yup, but again can this not be said by others?  If Josh Smith was eligible for Georgetown, does that add a few additional points?  If Otto Porter didn't decide to leave early like Vander did, how many points is that worth?

Etc, etc.  I think fans tend to think only their team is snake bitten with injuries, or transfers, or guys that leave early, fill in the blank reason. 

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 06:34:13 PM »
Yup, but again can this not be said by others?  If Josh Smith was eligible for Georgetown, does that add a few additional points?  If Otto Porter didn't decide to leave early like Vander did, how many points is that worth?

Etc, etc.  I think fans tend to think only their team is snake bitten with injuries, or transfers, or guys that leave early, fill in the blank reason. 

+1000 good call chicos, this goes on all the time here....

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »

I agree with you, but what do you think is the reason for the drastic change in our performance this year? 

It seems like a sort of cop-out to say that Vander/Lockett/Junior leaving magically turned Davante/Otule/Jamil into consistently inconsistent players.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 07:07:43 PM »
You can expect to find RiverRat looking for all kinds of excuses as to why this season has been an epic fail up to this point...other than to acknowledge the real reality...as have many others here:  Our starting backcourt has NO business getting 29.6 and 27 minutes per game respectively...and until that changes we can continue to expect .500 ball.

And as has been said...there is virtually ZERO chance the alternatives would perform worse...next to impossible to do.

I mean Jake Thomas getting more minutes than Todd Mayo?  We can put the Derrick/Dawson argument aside...but just this point alone...Jake starting all year long, and getting more minutes than Todd - can we truly say Buzz is playing the guys who give us the best chance to win??
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:49 PM »
I agree with you, but what do you think is the reason for the drastic change in our performance this year? 

It seems like a sort of cop-out to say that Vander/Lockett/Junior leaving magically turned Davante/Otule/Jamil into consistently inconsistent players.

I don't know...I believe Vander was a very big loss.  When things were broken down, he was a guy that could pull crap out of the garbage and find a way to get to the rim for a basket.  Not many guys (if any) on this team right now can do that.  IMO he helped the bigs because he was good enough from the perimeter and had the driving skills to require defenders to rotate to him where he could just drop a little pass off if needed. 

A really good passing and scoring guard can do wonders for a big man.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 07:34:21 AM »
Chico's

Agreed. Talented guards help the bigs a great deal.