Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jarvis Garrett  (Read 58634 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Jarvis Garrett
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
Got another .6 transfers yet to go.

Is our 6/10 of a starting point guard transferring?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »
The NCAA has clarified that you do not have to graduate to be eligible for the graduate student transfer waiver. But.. hopefully that waiver goes away soon. I think it will.

Yes, because we would hate the student-athlete who actually is a student to have one small way to "game the system."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
That's cool. Did they talk about Malek at all?

Oh... that guy? yeah, buzz talked to him too... where's he goin? NOWHERE.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »
Oh... that guy? yeah, buzz talked to him too... where's he goin? NOWHERE.

Don't be too sure about that.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »

I guess I should have used teal as I was trying to get back at Jaybee for making fun of my misspelling of "Malek." My previous statement was that it looked like he was going to matriculate given his talks with buzz and telling the twitterverse how he "had a great talk with my future coach buzz"
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »

Inside knowledge? Care to share?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2014, 01:19:41 AM »
I have no inside knowledge, but my guess is that Malek is still committed because Buzz anticipates that one of the following will happen:

Juan will be tired of Wisconsin winters and transfer
Derrick will realize that he is the worst PG ever and retire from playing basketball
Mayo will wear different color shoes from the rest of his teammates and have to be cut for the obviously bad attitude that displays
Taylor will transfer because he's bitter about having to go though rehab before getting playing time this season
JJJ will transfer because he was only the 5th most utilized freshmen during Buzz's tenure (+dreadman has talked to him already)
Burton will transfer because he was only the 6th most utilized freshmen during Buzz's tenure
Dawson will transfer because he was only the 7th most utilized freshmen during Buzz's tenure
Duane will transfer because he was strongarmed into redshirting by Buzz or some other "there's more to the story" conspiracy theory
Luke will transfer to Wisconsin because he wanted to go there all along but was going to be blocked by Big Bad Crean
Hill will switch to Mizzou because some old farts tweeted at him that he should
Cohen will get out of his LOI because he doesn't want to be at a university that has stereotyped native americans in the past
Shayok will get out of his LOI because he's tired of Scoopers misspelling his name
Pierce will get out of his LOI because he'll realize that "Buzz can't develop bigs"

Sorry, couldn't resist poking fun at scoopers and some of the rumors/statements that have been thrown around here.

All kidding aside, my guess is that Buzz anticipates 1 or more departures, which a coach should always prepare for. He's keeping Malek committed, but not signed, so that if/when that departure happens, he has someone on the back burner. Same reason he's still recruiting players in the 2014 class.

Malek's on the outside looking in. But he's the first one in if someone decides to leave.

If I had to bet, I would guess that Juan Anderson decides to transfer closer to home for real this time. Some comments by teammates and Buzz make me think that he is homesick again. But again, all speculation, no inside information.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2014, 01:45:00 AM »
I have no inside knowledge, but my guess is that Malek is still committed because Buzz anticipates that one of the following will happen:

Juan will be tired of Wisconsin winters and transfer
Derrick will realize that he is the worst PG ever and retire from playing basketball
Mayo will wear different color shoes from the rest of his teammates and have to be cut for the obviously bad attitude that displays
Taylor will transfer because he's bitter about having to go though rehab before getting playing time this season
JJJ will transfer because he was only the 5th most utilized freshmen during Buzz's tenure (+dreadman has talked to him already)
Burton will transfer because he was only the 6th most utilized freshmen during Buzz's tenure
Dawson will transfer because he was only the 7th most utilized freshmen during Buzz's tenure
Duane will transfer because he was strongarmed into redshirting by Buzz or some other "there's more to the story" conspiracy theory
Luke will transfer to Wisconsin because he wanted to go there all along but was going to be blocked by Big Bad Crean
Hill will switch to Mizzou because some old farts tweeted at him that he should
Cohen will get out of his LOI because he doesn't want to be at a university that has stereotyped native americans in the past
Shayok will get out of his LOI because he's tired of Scoopers misspelling his name
Pierce will get out of his LOI because he'll realize that "Buzz can't develop bigs"

Sorry, couldn't resist poking fun at scoopers and some of the rumors/statements that have been thrown around here.

All kidding aside, my guess is that Buzz anticipates 1 or more departures, which a coach should always prepare for. He's keeping Malek committed, but not signed, so that if/when that departure happens, he has someone on the back burner. Same reason he's still recruiting players in the 2014 class.

Malek's on the outside looking in. But he's the first one in if someone decides to leave.

If I had to bet, I would guess that Juan Anderson decides to transfer closer to home for real this time. Some comments by teammates and Buzz make me think that he is homesick again. But again, all speculation, no inside information.

I thought the reason that Shayok was going to get out of his LOI was because of how bad we spoke about our last person from Canadia.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2014, 05:26:23 AM »
Did Pierce sign a LOI in the early period or is he a commit at this point? ESPN.com shows him as unsigned.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2014, 07:03:46 AM »
I am sure Pierce has signed. I think the most likely player not to be here is Juan. He seems only to be happy if he is starting. My impression is happier starting and playing 5 minutes than coming off the bench and playing 10 minutes. I do not think he can expect to start next year and therefore he will transfer where he will start for one season.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2014, 07:50:08 AM »
I am sure Pierce has signed. I think the most likely player not to be here is Juan. He seems only to be happy if he is starting. My impression is happier starting and playing 5 minutes than coming off the bench and playing 10 minutes. I do not think he can expect to start next year and therefore he will transfer where he will start for one season.

I like the energy Juan brings, but he really isn't much of a high-major player. If he thinks he can be a real player, he should transfer to a school that can give him real playing time as a senior.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2014, 07:52:44 AM »
I have never understood the idea of a JR transferring, then sitting out an entire year, to play one year. Seems to me after your soph year, a decision needs to be made.

I'm damn glad Robert Jackson understood the idea of a junior transferring and then sitting out an entire year to play one year. Because if he hadn't done just that, we almost surely wouldn't have been a Final Four team in 2003.

There are all kinds of reasons for all kinds of decisions. It doesn't happen often, but those who do so always can find reasons to justify it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »
He's a Milwaukee native and Corey Evans (a scout I personally trust) seems to love him. For what it's worth, here is a recent mixtape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M60ydbJ5nac

At about the 1:40 mark he literally brings two different defenders to the gym floor because of his jukes. He's got athleticism, can shoot, SUPERIOR court vision, and can dunk despite being 5"11. Seems like he could be a great addition for the Warriors.

I still don't see it yet, but Jerry Meyer and Matt Gravett are rarely wrong. If he commits to us on February 9th, let the transfer rumors begin!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2014, 08:31:10 AM »
Inside knowledge? Care to share?

No.  I just think that it given our current scholarship situation, if we end up landing someone like Garrett, it is highly probably that Harris won't be here next year.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »
I'm damn glad Robert Jackson understood the idea of a junior transferring and then sitting out an entire year to play one year. Because if he hadn't done just that, we almost surely wouldn't have been a Final Four team in 2003.

There are all kinds of reasons for all kinds of decisions. It doesn't happen often, but those who do so always can find reasons to justify it.

Indeed--R Jax was certainly an exception.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2014, 08:35:34 AM »
I am sure Pierce has signed.

What's interesting is that MU has *not* issued a press release about Pierce signing.  They have done this for every other player who has signed an LOI since I can't remember when.

However Buzz publicly commented about him via twitter.  So what's up?  I doubt Buzz made a recruiting violation.  Did he sign a grant-in-aid versus an LOI?  (The former is rarely signed but it basically a non-binding agreement that would allow him to leave for elsewhere.)  Or did they decide simply not to issue a press release?

It's very odd to say the least.

muvanwilder

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2014, 09:02:24 AM »
When I consider who might transfer I look at who is not getting playing time. I do not think Buzz wants to play players that are going to transfer. Until recently Dawson was not being used much, which could be an indication. JJJ was not being used much. Taylor was not being used much. Recently Anderson has not been used much and adding in he almost transferred last year he has to be considerred a possible transfer. Although he plays all the time, maybe Derrick Wilson is tired of all the criticism and probably would not be happy not starting as a senior, if Duane Wilson takes it spot. Mayo has always been a question mark. There are only two players that I am 100% confident that they are returning and they are Burton and Duane Wilson. I suppose I should add JJJ to the list of players staying, because there is no way he would of started the last two games, if Buzz thought he was leaving. Now all the other players are not going to transfer, but one or two transfers should not be a surprise.

Man I hope you have inside knowledge, and are right on this one!  The rumor I heard floating around coupled with the latest info on Jarvis coming here has me nervous.

I have no inside info on Juan and Derrick, but those thinking they will transfer I think are stretching it. I just can't see them transferring for their senior yr, but who knows.  Derrick will be the returning starting PG. Juan should expect a lot of PT knowing Buzz likes veteran leadership, and we are losing 4 seniors that play a lot.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »
I thought the reason that Shayok was going to get out of his LOI was because of how bad we spoke about our last person from Canadia.

First we misspell his name and now you disrespect him by misspelling his country? He is so gone!

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 10:34:46 AM »
He's a Milwaukee native and Corey Evans (a scout I personally trust) seems to love him. For what it's worth, here is a recent mixtape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M60ydbJ5nac

At about the 1:40 mark he literally brings two different defenders to the gym floor because of his jukes. He's got athleticism, can shoot, SUPERIOR court vision, and can dunk despite being 5"11. Seems like he could be a great addition for the Warriors.

I still don't see it yet, but Jerry Meyer and Matt Gravett are rarely wrong. If he commits to us on February 9th, let the transfer rumors begin!

He reminds me of Will Bynum before he beefed up. Very exciting, quick twitch athlete.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2014, 10:40:35 AM »
Indeed--R Jax was certainly an exception.

You also have to look at it from the other school's point of view.  Would you give up two years of scholarship for one year of Juan Anderson?  I suppose you might if you were a low major or maybe a mid-major.  R Jax was definitely good enough for that kind of investment.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »
Those juniors are going nowhere.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2014, 10:54:40 AM »
Looks like Evans' prediction was entered this morning for Rhode Island?

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »
If he commits, means that I feel Malik is gone, and of course, somebody else is gone.  Really it would be hard for Buzz to know exactly who wants to leave as he is playing the freshman and
Steve Taylor now.  Duane Wilson would not have redshirted if he was not coming back, he would have left by now and do you think he wants to sit out?  Dawson told by his father is happy
at MU, which leaves Johnson and Burton.  Johnson is the only possible transfer in my book.  The juniors are staying unless Buzz cuts them which after 3 years of service would be harsh and
on-called for unless they want to leave.  If anything, it should be interesting.

feedback