[Today at 03:19:55 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Zog from Margo
[Today at 11:09:40 AM]

2025 Bracketology by wadesworld
[Today at 10:50:55 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 09:54:58 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jarvis Garrett  (Read 58826 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Jarvis Garrett
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
I would be more than stunned if JJJ left.  I think he's in for huge minutes next year anyway.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2014, 11:59:51 AM »
I would be more than stunned if JJJ left.  I think he's in for huge minutes next year anyway.

Not sure about that, as Amed Hill will get a chance to start as his body is college ready, JJJ really needs a year in the weight room.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
Not sure about that, as Amed Hill will get a chance to start as his body is college ready, JJJ really needs a year in the weight room.

My guess for next year:

C-Taylor...eventually Fischer / Pierce
F-Burton / Shayok / Anderson
F-Anderson / JJJ / Shayok (JJJ will get the bulk of the minutes)
G-Mayo/Hill/Duane
PG - Derrick/Dawson/Duane

Spot duty:  Cohen / Shayok

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »

I haven't seen anyone overpower JJJ this year...just because he has a skinny frame is overrated in my opinion. Reggie Miller was a string bean even throughout his NBA career and it didn't seem to hamper him. JJJ has a great first step and just explosive in general. Once the game slows down for him the sky is the limit...Weight added or not, and if he adds too much weight it could negatively affect him in my opinion.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2014, 12:25:02 PM »

Buzz has shown he's going to give returners every opportunity to start over younger guys and especially freshman.  If Hill is a stud he'll get minutes, but it will JJJ's spot to lose going into next year.  He'll have a much better understanding of Buzz's system and another full off-season in the weight room.  Really would be surprised if Hill starts over JJJ.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2014, 12:31:36 PM »

My guess for next year:

C-Taylor...eventually Fischer / Pierce
F-Burton / Shayok / Anderson
F-Anderson / JJJ / Shayok (JJJ will get the bulk of the minutes)
G-Mayo/Hill/Duane
PG - Derrick/Dawson/Duane

Spot duty:  Cohen / Shayok

And Steve will get additional significant minutes at F when Luke becomes eligible.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »
JJJ seems quick and explosive on offense but has trouble staying in front of his man on defense.  That is what will keep him from getting significant minutes going forward.  Right now Jake Thomas is a much better defender than JJJ which is why Jake gets more minutes despite his shooting woes.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »
If he commits, means that I feel Malik is gone, and of course, somebody else is gone.

Or one of the incoming guys doesn't qualify. No inside info, but you never know how the roster will shake out.

There could be a host of things that happen between now and the summer. I have a feeling they'll work themselves out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »
I haven't seen anyone overpower JJJ this year...just because he has a skinny frame is overrated in my opinion. Reggie Miller was a string bean even throughout his NBA career and it didn't seem to hamper him. JJJ has a great first step and just explosive in general. Once the game slows down for him the sky is the limit...Weight added or not, and if he adds too much weight it could negatively affect him in my opinion.

Vander Blue was never terribly big either.  As frozena said, JJJ just needs to be better on the defensive side, which will come with time.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »

Vander Blue was never terribly big either.  As frozena said, JJJ just needs to be better on the defensive side, which will come with time.

I agree, JJJ just needs time to mature, learn to play D.  Most of the freshman never are ready to play D, even the first time I saw Jimmy Butler play, I saw a few players blow right by him.  My
thoughts were this guy can not play, was I wrong.  He learned to play D, that is why he is in the pros.  His offense is a little better than average for the pros.  D is really good.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »
Who cares about Jarvis Garrett---  Just sign a Class 4-5 starPOINT GUARD WHO KNOWS THE POSITION AND PERFORMS like
Tyler Ennis of Syracuse or Ryan A of Villanova. Then we can put this subject to rest.

brandx

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »

I agree. I think he will be close to 30 minutes a game next year as will burton.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »
I don't care if Dawson, D-Wilson, Du. Wilson transfer. Just GET A DAM GOOD PG> No F---kin around.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
On sale today at Ralph's, buy one, get one free.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »
I don't care if Dawson, D-Wilson, Du. Wilson transfer. Just GET A DAM GOOD PG> No F---kin around.

Oh.. because it's just that easy?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2014, 03:09:07 PM »
Who cares about Jarvis Garrett---  Just sign a Class 4-5 starPOINT GUARD WHO KNOWS THE POSITION AND PERFORMS like
Tyler Ennis of Syracuse or Ryan A of Villanova. Then we can put this subject to rest.

You mean like Duane Wilson or Nick Noskowiak?

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
Ya it's hard. But aren't the coaches getting PAID to do this. DAMMIT perform!

GGGG

• All American

nyg

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2014, 03:21:14 PM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:22:59 PM by nyg »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »
Such greedy fans.  Our heralded point guard who hasn't been able to step on court due to injuries is now just an afterthought by some.  I think we will be fine next year at the point. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »
Such greedy fans.  Our heralded point guard who hasn't been able to step on court due to injuries is now just an afterthought by some.  I think we will be fine next year at the point. 

I don't know if I'd say that. Almost every "derrick sucks" thread has talked about Duane and Dawson should be the only things in town next year.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

murphmurphy

• Walk-On
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2014, 01:47:17 AM »
Who will have to leave when Otule applies and receives his 7th year of eligibility?

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »
And if his committment means someone else is planning to leave, so be it.  It happens, and there is a lot of young talent on the way to replace whomever it happens to be.  We just need to survive as fans until they develop.

I'm hoping our whole current jr class decides to transfer after the season  ;D

bc57

• Walk-On
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »
URI fan here. I was just told that Buzz is going to watch Jarvis this week, then offer.