Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blew it on Newbill  (Read 5062 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Blew it on Newbill
« on: January 29, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »
Dude's a balla....onions!

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: Blew it on Newbill
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:43 PM »
Happy things worked out for the kid.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »
Didn't Derrick Wilson take his spot?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »
Didn't Derrick Wilson take his spot?

Wrong Wilson, kin.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
25 points including the game winner tonight,

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »
You'll see Newbill in the NBA....very skilled.  Probably ended up being a bad "trade."
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 09:09:12 PM »
Think he'd have that much volume as a shooter on MU's offense?

I don't think so.
SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:10:53 PM »
You'll see Newbill in the NBA....very skilled.  Probably ended up being a bad "trade."

Who did we trade him for?  Jamil Wilson or Reggie Smith?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »
What was the final verdict on the Newbill situation? Did we do this kid as dirty as it seemed?

I wasn't on scoop at that time. I remember reading an article then about how we basically cut him loose. And then a few weeks later we got jamil from oregon.

I read some old threads on it a while back and it seems like he got the shaft. The ugly side of college basketball, I guess...

In any case, I'm very glad that he's had a successful career thus far and I sincerely hope that the success continues.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
Go back and watch the final two minutes vs Davidson last year.
Get back to us on the bad trade.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 09:16:11 PM »
Go back and watch the final two minutes vs Davidson last year.
Get back to us on the bad trade.

Sure, Jamil hit some big shots in that game.  Just saying the body of work over their respective careers may very well reflect that Newbill has a more productive career.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:33 PM »
Glad to see he is doing well after So. Miss.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:06 PM »
Have we seriously recruited a Philly kid since the the Newbill debacle?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »
Have we seriously recruited a Philly kid since the the Newbill debacle?

Did we recruit a Philly kid before the Newbill event?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 09:28:07 PM »
Im more concerned with the fact that OSU destroyed us.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 09:32:43 PM »
Im more concerned with the fact that OSU destroyed us.
It was more of what MU didn't do.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 09:54:29 PM »
What was the final verdict on the Newbill situation? Did we do this kid as dirty as it seemed?

I wasn't on scoop at that time. I remember reading an article then about how we basically cut him loose. And then a few weeks later we got jamil from oregon.

I read some old threads on it a while back and it seems like he got the shaft. The ugly side of college basketball, I guess...

In any case, I'm very glad that he's had a successful career thus far and I sincerely hope that the success continues.

Others can correct me here as I'm going off memory ...

* Jamil transferred from Oregon in June putting us one over the limit

* we recruited 2 PGs, DJ Newbill and Reggie Smith.  Smith was the higher rated.

* someone help me here ... I believe it was June and Newbill did not formally "apply" or maybe it was "enroll" in MU making him vulnerable to getting cut loose and using his schollie for someone else.  I seem to remember he left himself exposed in some way.  If I'm right, I believe the others were in summer school so they already "used" their schollies and cutting them would not open one up (see McKay leaving earlier not opening a schllie as they are yearly).  Newbill by not applying or enrolling was the only one we cut cut to make room for Jamil.

* Reggie was higher rated and was from Chicago.  He played on the same AAU team as Steve Taylor (memory here again).  So Reggie was considered important to keep not just for his higher ranking but the inroads to Chicago he represented.  If we cut Reggie out instead of Newbill, would Steve Taylor coming to MU have happened?  Others can comment.

These are complicated issues and not as clear-cut as some simple trade.  Which is why I asked was the Newbill "trade" for Jamil Wilson or Reggie Smith?  If we cut Smith, would Steve Taylor be here?  Who would have argued at the time to pass on Jamil for Newbill?  Would you make that case today?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:56:07 PM by Heisenberg »

TJ

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »
Think he'd have that much volume as a shooter on MU's offense?

I don't think so.
Given that MU doesn't have any good shooters, if he were part of MU's offense and a good shooter I would hope he would shoot a lot.  How did our team shoot the night we played Ohio State this year again?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Did-Marquette-put-winning-before-ethics-by-cutti?urn=ncaab,252690

raul

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »
Newbill may have signed and then quit the team like reggie, who knows? Woulda, coulda, shoulda that's life. One door closes another opens.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
25 points including the game winner tonight,

He finished 9-20 (45%) overall and 2-6 (33%) from 3.

His shot attempts made up 35% of all shots they took.

If we let Mayo shoot 20 a night. I assure you he could match those numbers, in fact I think he would exceed them.  Problem is that wouldn't be better for the team as a whole. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 11:43:18 PM »
Let's get real here. Buzz would 100% have crushed this kid's morale and he would have transferred out after a year or two. Standard outcome for freshmen under Buzz.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 07:15:17 AM »
The same thing was said about Newbill as it was about Dawson. Posters were lamenting giving scholarships to these low rated recruits. In fact people were happy when Newbill did not get admitted so J. Wilson could come. Newbill has proven to be a very good player and there is a good indication that Dawson will be a very good player. I actually think Newbill was odd man out when Reggie Smith actually qualified. I believe Buzz expected Smith to have to go to prep school for a year, which would of made room for both Newbill and Wilson. Unfortunately Smith jumped ship at end of first semester. This team could of had Smith starting at point, Newbill at the 2 and Blue at the three. None of them are here now and that is why we are struggling.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 08:31:50 AM »
Marquette sure did blow it on Newbill watching him beat a team
We lost too sucks. But he wouldnt get 20 shots up under Buzz anyway.
Good for him tho.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »
Others can correct me here as I'm going off memory ...

* Jamil transferred from Oregon in June putting us one over the limit

* we recruited 2 PGs, DJ Newbill and Reggie Smith.  Smith was the higher rated.

* someone help me here ... I believe it was June and Newbill did not formally "apply" or maybe it was "enroll" in MU making him vulnerable to getting cut loose and using his schollie for someone else.  I seem to remember he left himself exposed in some way.  If I'm right, I believe the others were in summer school so they already "used" their schollies and cutting them would not open one up (see McKay leaving earlier not opening a schllie as they are yearly).  Newbill by not applying or enrolling was the only one we cut cut to make room for Jamil.

Well, it may have been a little more shady than that depending on who you talk to.  Newbill's side will tell you that some assistant coach was telling him to "take his time" with his application, the inference being that if he applies and is accepted, the scholarship must be honored because of his NLI.

But then I have also heard that there was always an agreement in place that if Jamil wanted to transfer, Newbill would have to find a place elsewhere...which is why he never applied when he signed his NLI in April.

So who knows?

I would rather have Jamil.  He may not be what we expected, but he is a good player who's hit a lot of good shots for us.

feedback