Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blew it on Newbill  (Read 5061 times)

Nevada233

• All American
Re: Blew it on Newbill
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »

Well, it may have been a little more shady than that depending on who you talk to.  Newbill's side will tell you that some assistant coach was telling him to "take his time" with his application, the inference being that if he applies and is accepted, the scholarship must be honored because of his NLI.

But then I have also heard that there was always an agreement in place that if Jamil wanted to transfer, Newbill would have to find a place elsewhere...which is why he never applied when he signed his NLI in April.

So who knows?

I would rather have Jamil.  He may not be what we expected, but he is a good player who's hit a lot of good shots for us.

Jamil is a good player that could be a very good to 2nd round draft pick/D league his way onto a NBA Roster. But he is digging himself in a deeper whole every game. GM's and scouts see hes not a natural leader and too passive. He'd thrive in a situation where he can be a utility guy and not the feature/star player its just not in his persona to be the one. There are players even on Marquette who would give their right arm to play 50% of the time jamil Plays.

You rarely, closer to never see him take charge in a huddle, get angry or rally the troops he just comes gives you 30 min scores 10-15 ppg and goes home.  Some guys are like that its not a knock on him he just isnt the one to take control and want to be that guy like Vander was last year. Hes gonna do enough to keep himself in the game but often as we see this year thats just not enough to Win!

Many teams have won with Point guards who arent that good but your best player has to play just that much better and although Jamil has been good this year. He's not having a "with the 34th pick in the NBA draft the Washington Wizards select Jamil Wilson year...." That id hoped for. Theres still 11 games left and the BET and maybe NIT to play. So the Jury is out to lunch.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:14:35 AM by Nevada233 »

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:33:07 AM by murara1994 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 09:36:34 AM »
Jamil is a good player that could be a very good to 2nd round draft pick/D league his way onto a NBA Roster. But he is digging himself in a deeper whole every game. GM's and scouts see hes not a natural leader and too passive. He'd thrive in a situation where he can be a utility guy and not the feature/star player its just not in his persona to be the one. There are players even on Marquette who would give their right arm to play 50% of the time jamil Plays.

You rarely, closer to never see him take charge in a huddle, get angry or rally the troops he just comes gives you 30 min scores 10-15 ppg and goes home.  Some guys are like that its not a knock on him he just isnt the one to take control and want to be that guy like Vander was last year. Hes gonna do enough to keep himself in the game but often as we see this year thats just not enough to Win!

Many teams have won with Point guards who arent that good but your best player has to play just that much better and although Jamil has been good this year. He's not having a "with the 34th pick in the NBA draft the Washington Wizards select Jamil Wilson year...." That id hoped for. Theres still 11 games left and the BET and maybe NIT to play. So the Jury is out to lunch.

Jamil or Newbill is a no-brainer based on what we know:

With Jamil, we reached the Elite 8 last year. Without him, unlikely.

Plus, let's not forget that Newbill would have been done at MU after last season, when at best he would have shared time with Junior and/or sat behind Vander.

I'll take the "what we know" over the slight chance that we would have done better than S16-S16-E8 with Newbill instead of Jamil.

That being said, Nevada, everything you say here about Jamil is 100% correct. In this draft, with so many great players, I see little to suggest why an NBA GM would select a guy who will be 24 when next season starts and who underachieved fairly significantly in college.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 09:58:44 AM »
Jamil or Newbill is a no-brainer based on what we know:

With Jamil, we reached the Elite 8 last year. Without him, unlikely.

Plus, let's not forget that Newbill would have been done at MU after last season, when at best he would have shared time with Junior and/or sat behind Vander.

I'll take the "what we know" over the slight chance that we would have done better than S16-S16-E8 with Newbill instead of Jamil.

That being said, Nevada, everything you say here about Jamil is 100% correct. In this draft, with so many great players, I see little to suggest why an NBA GM would select a guy who will be 24 when next season starts and who underachieved fairly significantly in college.

I didnt even know he was about to be 24 next year.

Yea, his NBA window is closing by the minute

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »
The unintended consequence of Newbill's recruitment is Buzz damaged a major bridge here in Philadelphia.

He really upset Delgreco K. Wilson, http://delgrecowilson.com/about/ ,a man who acts as a mentor and adviser to many of the top basketball players in the Philadelphia area.

Delgreco has written negative posts about Buzz's recruiting methods on Philadelphia Big 5 message boards specifically regarding the recruitments of  Newbill and Roseboro.

Personally, I think his reasons for disliking Marquette right now are justifiable. I hope Buzz can repair the damage since many of the players Delgreco helps and advises are some of the top players in the country.

Many of his Newbill related posts were on the now defunct St. Joe's board. On the Scout board, he goes by phillyhoops4life, the same name he used on http://hawkhoopclub.proboards.com/.

feedback