[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Net neutrality war begins...  (Read 20017 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Net neutrality war begins...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »
This has a long way to go, but why should Verizon pay the freight for delivering Netflix's traffic and not be compensated for it?

I still marvel at Netflix's stock (of which I'm a shareholder).  Another $1.1billion in revenue this last quarter and only $48M in profit.  How can a company make so much revenue and earn so little is staggering.  $5.4 billion in liabilities coming due soon....$48M a quarter isn't going to cut it.  Interesting times ahead.   

Maybe they will raise their prices considerably and then blame Verizon and net neutrality for it...enough goofballs out there would actually believe that is the reason.  Sounds like a winning marketing idea to me. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:02:25 AM »
This has a long way to go, but why should Verizon pay the freight for delivering Netflix's traffic and not be compensated for it?

While I don't disagree with you, a LOT more people would side with Netflix in this situation vs any ISP. People want their shows/movies.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »
While I don't disagree with you, a LOT more people would side with Netflix in this situation vs any ISP. People want their shows/movies.

People want a lot of things....especially in today's day and age.   Fewer and fewer want to pay for them either.  We've raised generations of people to think stuff is free or heavily subsidized. 

We will ultimately reap what we sow for those policy decisions.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:39:19 AM »

Why should I have to pay my cable provider for delivering ESPN's traffic if I don't watch it?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
People want a lot of things....especially in today's day and age.   Fewer and fewer want to pay for them either.  We've raised generations of people to think stuff is free or heavily subsidized. 

We have also had to pay for a lot of things that we don't want without choice.  There are hundreds of channels on my cable package I never watch, yet I have to pay for their content.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
We have also had to pay for a lot of things that we don't want without choice.  There are hundreds of channels on my cable package I never watch, yet I have to pay for their content.

This. You can't come down on one side of the discussion without acknowledging the others. I don't want to pay for billions of dollars in defense spending. But I don't have a voice that matters.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 11:02:17 AM »

If AT&T, Verizon, and Comcast get their way, they will be able to deliver some sites and services more quickly and reliably than others for any reason. Whim. Envy. Ignorance. Competition. Vengeance. Whatever. Or, no reason at all.

So what if you’ve got a great new company, an amazing group of founders, a seat in a reputable accelerator program, great investors and mentors. With the permission-based innovation over “our pipes” desired from the likes of Comcast, Verizon and AT&T… the product or service has no value unless the telecoms say that it does.

I guess capitalism only is great for some.

I would be interested in your opinion, Chicos, on the loss of net neutrality.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »

Agree 100%. People being forced to subsidize content that they don't want and never watch violates the very economic principles that set this country apart and made her the envy of the rest of the world. Corporate welfare and subsidies are the most heinous of all - they provide a legitimacy to anyone with their hand out, whether truly needy or not.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
Agree 100%. People being forced to subsidize content that they don't want and never watch violates the very economic principles that set this country apart and made her the envy of the rest of the world. Corporate welfare and subsidies are the most heinous of all - they provide a legitimacy to anyone with their hand out, whether truly needy or not.

hey. corporations are people too

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 12:16:51 PM »

but Verizon's customers are paying the freight. Why should Verizon expect to get paid by the folks at both ends?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 12:49:37 PM »
My position is not just on this subject, it extends across the board.  Too many people have no clue what stuff costs anymore.  You have way too many people getting freebies and thinking the stuff is actually free.  I was watching Letterman or one of those shows the other night and some young actress is on there talking about how she was in England and got sick and went to the emergency room.  Then she says "its so wonderful, everything is free".  Uhm, no sweetie, it's not....someone is paying for it through taxes, etc, etc, but this is the mentality of so many people.  They don't know what stuff costs, they don't what they are paying for (if they are even paying for it at all since in many cases another segment of society is paying for everyone else).

Slowly but most assuredly, we are continuing to further create large cohorts of people that believe things should be free (or believe it actually is), it's ok to steal if you want something (cuz others are doing it), etc, etc.....that is a dangerous precedent. 

On this particular subject of net neutrality, I just find a lot of irony in comments by the gov't and other folks.  Tolls are ok on roads, you know, because it is fair to tax the actual users of those roads.  Landing fees in airplane tickets are ok, because it is "just" impacts fliers (not true, but let's play along).  Truckers have to pay extra fees for using highways via weigh stations because of the burden they put on the roads.  But hell, if a business builds a network and wants to charge the companies using most of the bandwidth then all hell breaks loose?  Cuz someone isn't going to be able to their free \ cheap stuff as free or cheaply anymore? 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »
My position is not just on this subject, it extends across the board.  Too many people have no clue what stuff costs anymore.  You have way too many people getting freebies and thinking the stuff is actually free.  I was watching Letterman or one of those shows the other night and some young actress is on there talking about how she was in England and got sick and went to the emergency room.  Then she says "its so wonderful, everything is free".  Uhm, no sweetie, it's not....someone is paying for it through taxes, etc, etc, but this is the mentality of so many people.  They don't know what stuff costs, they don't what they are paying for (if they are even paying for it at all since in many cases another segment of society is paying for everyone else).

Slowly but most assuredly, we are continuing to further create large cohorts of people that believe things should be free (or believe it actually is), it's ok to steal if you want something (cuz others are doing it), etc, etc.....that is a dangerous precedent.  

On this particular subject of net neutrality, I just find a lot of irony in comments by the gov't and other folks.  Tolls are ok on roads, you know, because it is fair to tax the actual users of those roads.  Landing fees in airplane tickets are ok, because it is "just" impacts fliers (not true, but let's play along).  Truckers have to pay extra fees for using highways via weigh stations because of the burden they put on the roads.  But hell, if a business builds a network and wants to charge the companies using most of the bandwidth then all hell breaks loose?  Cuz someone isn't going to be able to their free \ cheap stuff as free or cheaply anymore?  

1. If you don't want to pay the toll, you can take another interstate. If you don't want to pay comcast in a small town, likely you don't have another option.
2. I have an issue with the "network building" because they were already given a ridiculous amount of gov't money to build things that they never completed.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:28:41 PM by jesmu84 »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
People being forced to subsidize content that they don't want and never watch violates the very economic principles that set this country apart and made her the envy of the rest of the world.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »
Truckers have to pay extra fees for using highways via weigh stations because of the burden they put on the roads.

;)  I realize you were just trying to show examples but I'm pretty sure weigh stations aren't collecting any $$$ unless the truck is overweight and then the driver gets a fine as it should

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »
My position is not just on this subject, it extends across the board.  Too many people have no clue what stuff costs anymore.  You have way too many people getting freebies and thinking the stuff is actually free.  I was watching Letterman or one of those shows the other night and some young actress is on there talking about how she was in England and got sick and went to the emergency room.  Then she says "its so wonderful, everything is free".  Uhm, no sweetie, it's not....someone is paying for it through taxes, etc, etc, but this is the mentality of so many people.  They don't know what stuff costs, they don't what they are paying for (if they are even paying for it at all since in many cases another segment of society is paying for everyone else).

On this particular subject of net neutrality, I just find a lot of irony in comments by the gov't and other folks.  Tolls are ok on roads, you know, because it is fair to tax the actual users of those roads.  Landing fees in airplane tickets are ok, because it is "just" impacts fliers (not true, but let's play along).  Truckers have to pay extra fees for using highways via weigh stations because of the burden they put on the roads.  But hell, if a business builds a network and wants to charge the companies using most of the bandwidth then all hell breaks loose?  Cuz someone isn't going to be able to their free \ cheap stuff as free or cheaply anymore? 

I hear you, Chicos, but the illusion of free stuff to an unwitting citizenry is a most powerful aphrodisiac. And even the people smart enough to notice the man behind the curtain are tempted to consider their own situation as an exception to otherwise immutable laws. Subsidies, welfare (corporate and otherwise), government "favors", etc., have a deleterious effect on the real economy - except, of course, in that one unique situation that favors me. And everyone from the farmer to the baseball team owner to the Disney executive cashes their check.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
;)  I realize you were just trying to show examples but I'm pretty sure weigh stations aren't collecting any $$$ unless the truck is overweight and then the driver gets a fine as it should

One of my classmate's family owned a trucking company, and I could have sworn that she said that taxes on diesel were higher than unleaded gas because that way they could collect a disproportionately higher amount in "usage fees" from truckers.  Whether that's so commercial users offset costs for passenger cars and/or it's to cover greater wear and tear, if that's true, then people who drive cars that run on diesel are really getting screwed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
I work in a trucking related field. Yes diesel taxes are more than gasoline and the ATA has asked for Washington to raise that tax even higher as they realize our infrastructure needs more investment than DC is providing but that has nothing to do with weigh stations is all I pointed out.

Trucks are much worse for wear and tear on highways, meanwhile back to net neutrality....

brandx

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »
I hear you, Chicos, but the illusion of free stuff to an unwitting citizenry is a most powerful aphrodisiac. And even the people smart enough to notice the man behind the curtain are tempted to consider their own situation as an exception to otherwise immutable laws. Subsidies, welfare (corporate and otherwise), government "favors", etc., have a deleterious effect on the real economy - except, of course, in that one unique situation that favors me. And everyone from the farmer to the baseball team owner to the Disney executive cashes their check.

You mean it's not just poor & minorities  ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »
Netflix to pay Comcast.  Quite frankly, they should.  I know a lot of people here won't like that, but Netflix uses those pipes, clogs those lines they should have to pay for the transport and congestion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/business/media/comcast-and-netflix-reach-a-streaming-agreement.html?action=click&contentCollection=Technology&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:40 PM »
Netflix to pay Comcast.  Quite frankly, they should.  I know a lot of people here won't like that, but Netflix uses those pipes, clogs those lines they should have to pay for the transport and congestion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/business/media/comcast-and-netflix-reach-a-streaming-agreement.html?action=click&contentCollection=Technology&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

which is why the local municipalities should lay the pipes, then charge for their use.  ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 11:57:27 PM »
which is why the local municipalities should lay the pipes, then charge for their use.  ;)

Sorry, I don't need the DMV, SSA, etc running my internet....these guys @#$@# up enough crap already.   :D

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 07:10:27 AM »
I work in a trucking related field. Yes diesel taxes are more than gasoline and the ATA has asked for Washington to raise that tax even higher as they realize our infrastructure needs more investment than DC is providing but that has nothing to do with weigh stations is all I pointed out.

Trucks are much worse for wear and tear on highways, meanwhile back to net neutrality....

Especially if it's a snowplow. Here in Jersey they just resurfaced a main road this past fall. Now that the some of the snow has melted you can see that the plow just did not remove snow they took part of the road as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 09:51:54 PM »
And now the rest start falling in line.....I smell a price increase from Netflix

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/24/verizon-expects-to-reach-its-own-deal-with-netflix/

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 10:10:43 PM »
And now the rest start falling in line.....I smell a price increase from Netflix

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/24/verizon-expects-to-reach-its-own-deal-with-netflix/

They have to.

No way will a business eat the costs and not pass it on, esp. NetFlix.

No one is a viable challenger. RedBox? Please. I tried their service to see if it was worth it and it was a waste: the new releases in the machine weren't available in the stream queue. What's worse is their catalog consists mostly of B movies and old 50s westerns as well as early B&W (some silent) movies.

I look forward to companies that can stream their content on their own via the net based on a subscription...and accessible in a hub like Apple TV presents.
SS Marquette

feedback