Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: LaChance Has It  (Read 10042 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
LaChance Has It
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »
Impressed watchin' Riley do it to G-Town. Cat's a gamer and can shoot the rock. Vandy got themselves a fine traditional.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
Re: LaChance Has It
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »
Impressed watchin' Riley do it to G-Town. Cat's a gamer and can shoot the rock. Vandy got themselves a fine traditional.

He is certainly a very good shooter, but he's played zone defense his entire high school career.  For someone who probably isn't the quickest kid in the gym when it comes to high major division one basketball, that is going to be a big problem.  Hopefully he does well as Wisconsin kids making some noise in college basketball is never a bad thing, but he is undersize.  He also had an uncharacteristically high number of live ball turnovers and missed a few free throws.  Heck of a game.

Elijah Goodman is a stud in the high school game.  And Lamante Beardon is a punk.

Edit:  One more thought, Jake Showalter shoots like Gasser...aka, he shoots like a chick.  But I'd take a guy who knocks down shots while shooting like a chick over guys who just don't make shots...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:26:45 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:57:04 AM »
Buzz watched him *a lot* last summer...and never pulled the trigger on an offer.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:03:48 AM »
Buzz has been wrong before.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:12:35 AM »
Sure.  But he did his due diligence.  He simply wants two guards that are a little bigger and quicker.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »
Not sayin' LaChance should have been offered by Buzz. Observed a kid who can shoot it. I'd say average quickness. But, it also appears Riley is a hard worker, gets it, and wants to get better. Probably a late bloomer. Will have to work on man defense skills. Agree with #3Universe, I wouldn't have Bearden if he walked on. Didn't care for his body language.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:56:56 AM »
BC's 1-3-1 zone will eventually come back to bite them. Last night Germantown just had an off night shooting from outside -- they had a ton of wide open 3s with simple skip passes and just bricked them. Most surprising to me was Showalter -- I've seen him play a lot and if he is not hitting shots, he is just another body out there. He does nothing off the dribble. Can't believe he is a D1 player.

I was at the game and that was one of the worst games I've seen Lachance play. Bearden and McCloud picked him clean a couple times. He had other turnovers and forced some shots. Normally, he is pretty turnover-free and doesn't press. I think the best attribute Riley brings to the game is his toughness. He was having a rough game and you couldn't tell from his demeanor at all -- dude is just stone-cold all game -- he stuck with it and made plays down the stretch. For $5 admission, it was an amazing game to see.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »
Nice to score 'bout 23 when havin' a rough night, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

1913Kilbourn

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
I was at the game as well (not a fan of either, just wanted to see the game). A few GTown starters were  fighting foul trouble all night (especially Jon Averkamp and Evan Wesenberg - both were on the bench when BC went on their runs). If they played more minutes I think GTown would have won. In the 4th quarter GTown couldn't get enough touches on the block for Wesenberg matched against BC's 1-3-1 low post guard, not to mentioned not enough high low with diagonal passing to the opposite block from GTown (the best way to beat a 1-3-1)

Final score was not indicative of the game. Back and forth all night. Nothing larger than a 5-6 point lead. Great game to watch.

p.s. LaChance would benefit from staying focused on his coach/bench and less on his crazy dad. His father was going nuts in the stands, and LaChance was looking at him all game.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 10:48:33 AM »
Buzz watched him *a lot* last summer...and never pulled the trigger on an offer.
And in the Sultan's world, Buzz can do no wrong.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
I was at the game, too (Brookfield Central alum).  Five bucks well spent, that's for sure.  Former MU players in attendance:  Tony Smith, Robert Jackson, Shannon Smith (doing TV color commentary for Time Warner Sports), and Tom LaChance.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Nice to score 'bout 23 when havin' a rough night, hey?
No kidding. He got a bunch of free throws in the end, but it was truly an off night for him. He really looked gassed with all of the ball pressure, and I don't believe he ever went out.  We were right in front of Riley's dad and I didn't see him look at him much at all. His dad gets amped up for sure, but he knows his stuff. He -- like most of the BC faithful -- was yelling to get out of the zone, which was just leaking open 3 looks all night. BC was fortunate GT couldn't take advantage. Once Bearden fouled out, BC went to man and it was over.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 11:57:17 AM »

and in your world Buzz can do nothing right……..So Sultan is closer to the truth then you are…...

And in the Sultan's world, Buzz can do no wrong.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »
I remember Creighton offered, and i think X, too. Too bad he didnt stay in the BE :/

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »

and in your world Buzz can do nothing right……..So Sultan is closer to the truth then you are…...

Sorry--but Buzz has been abysmal this year in many ways--and that is what counts. By the way, are you Sultan's defender? And by the way, tell us what the MU in MU Mark signifies?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »
p.s. LaChance would benefit from staying focused on his coach/bench and less on his crazy dad. His father was going nuts in the stands, and LaChance was looking at him all game.

I don't know why Buzz didn't offer LaChance.  Parents/family have to be a huge concern for any coach and a big reason the reactions in an out of the gym for the family in Rice Lake have to be considered.  The helicoptors are always on standby for many parents.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
BC's 1-3-1 zone will eventually come back to bite them. Last night Germantown just had an off night shooting from outside -- they had a ton of wide open 3s with simple skip passes and just bricked them. Most surprising to me was Showalter -- I've seen him play a lot and if he is not hitting shots, he is just another body out there. He does nothing off the dribble. Can't believe he is a D1 player.

I was at the game and that was one of the worst games I've seen Lachance play. Bearden and McCloud picked him clean a couple times. He had other turnovers and forced some shots. Normally, he is pretty turnover-free and doesn't press. I think the best attribute Riley brings to the game is his toughness. He was having a rough game and you couldn't tell from his demeanor at all -- dude is just stone-cold all game -- he stuck with it and made plays down the stretch. For $5 admission, it was an amazing game to see.

While I agree that Germantown didn't shoot the rock well, I couldn't disagree with you more that the 1-3-1 is what will come back to bite them against Germantown.  Teams other than Germantown may attack it better and may make a man-to-man defense more effective, but not against Germantown.  Do you really think LaChance, Newman, or the 3 other little guards could have stayed in front of the Bearden brothers while not getting knocked off of the ball?  LaChance is the only one tall enough and maybe physically strong enough to hang with the Beardens (particularly Lamonte), but he would get absolutely blown by off of the dribble by them, while the other 4 all would be giving up about 5" to each of them.  The Germantown guards are slashers and make a living getting dunks and layups.  I would MUCH rather take my chances of having the Bryan Bearden shoot 10 3 pointers from the corner (the worst spot to shoot it from on the court, and it had to be close to that many for him) over trying to play man to man and watch those 2 slash the heck out of my defense and drive and dish to Showalter who just spots up on the 3 point line.  The only error Brookfield Central made defensively was letting Showalter get a couple of uncontested 3 pointers early in the game.  Once they adjusted to that and started cheating his way and running straight into him on the catch, the only way Germantown scored was in transition.  Don't let the Bearden's get into the lane and they are not nearly as effective.  The 1-3-1 prevented that.  You bring up switching to man-to-man as if it was a game changer, but in reality Lamonte Beardon fouled out with under 90 seconds left in the game and Germantown was fouling to put Brookfield Central on the line and then just heaving up the first semi-open 3 pointer they could find.  They weren't running an offense whatsoever.  The game was more or less won at that point, and Brookfield Central could've let Germantown take uncontested layups on the defensive side of things as long as they made their free throws.

Germantown had won 69 straight games, with only 6 of those games being decided by single digits.  One of those 6 games was against Brookfield Central last year when Germantown won on a last second tip in by our newest team member at Marquette University.  Brookfield Central then broke their streak last night.  I would say when it comes to playing Germantown, they're doing alright compared to everyone else.  Switching out of the 1-3-1 that they play for 97% of the total minutes in a season would have led to a BLOW OUT for Germantown.  A team like Rufus King who is known for playing the toughest, most aggressive man-to-man defense and has better/quicker athletes on the perimeter than Brookfield Central have been blown out by Germantown playing a man-to-man defense.  I'm sure Mr. LaChance knows his basketball as he has coached for quite some time and done a great job raising a great player with a high basketball IQ, but if he wanted Brookfield Central out of the 1-3-1 he's crazy.

The craziest thing is that I thought Brookfield Central had room to have played better moreso than Germantown did.  LaChance isn't going to turn the ball over as much as he did on a typical night, which led to about half of Lamonte Beardon's points on dunks.  Also, I thought offensively Brookfield Central faulted by not going inside to Goodman enough.  There was a 3-4 minute period in I believe the 3rd quarter where you could see they made an effort to get it to him on the blocks and he scored and/or drew a foul every time down the court and they made a nice run.  Outside of that, the only time he got the ball on the block was off of offensive rebounds.  If Central runs it through him more on offense he might score 35 points.  He's just a load underneath, the high school version that I thought Davante Gardner was going to be this year.  I also thought in the first half that Brookfield Central played right into Germantown's gameplan by rushing quick pullups while breaking the press.  To have success against Germantown, unless you have an open layup, you have to be disciplined enough to break the press and then pull it out and run your offense.  When Brookfield Central did that (the 2nd half), they scored on about 80% of their possessions.  Brookfield Central also missed a ton of free throws.

Just one man's opinion, anyways.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:02:51 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 07:16:59 PM »
Lachance was excellent in several games out in Vegas during the last evaluation week/end. His dad had the whole team working hard and doing well.

PS - Bearden could do better than Buffalo. Not saying he should or should have.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muvanwilder

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 08:20:16 PM »
I remember Creighton offered, and i think X, too. Too bad he didnt stay in the BE :/

If he went to a BE school then he wouldn't be able to transfer to MU in a yr or 2!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 08:55:53 PM »
Lachance was excellent in several games out in Vegas during the last evaluation week/end. His dad had the whole team working hard and doing well.

PS - Bearden could do better than Buffalo. Not saying he should or should have.

If he focused a bit more on school he may have had that opportunity.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 02:36:34 AM »
37 points last night with 7 3-pointers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
37 points last night with 7 3-pointers.

Yeah but let's put that one into perspective. He did that against the Marquette High Fighting Teamdees, who were awful before 3 of their players transferred to Dominican and are now even worse.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 09:06:21 AM »
Who cares who they played.The point is he made 7 3- pointers.The dude can shoot and MU needs shooters.Al had shooters,Sewell,Tatum,Rosenberger and Toone.I am sure I am missing some.O'neill had Logterman and Hutchins.Crean had Novak and Diener..Even if LaChance is limited on some other aspects of the game,Mu should have signed him.Rosey,Logterman and Diener had some limitations and they did just fine.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 09:27:13 AM »
Who cares who they played.The point is he made 7 3- pointers.The dude can shoot and MU needs shooters.Al had shooters,Sewell,Tatum,Rosenberger and Toone.I am sure I am missing some.O'neill had Logterman and Hutchins.Crean had Novak and Diener..Even if LaChance is limited on some other aspects of the game,Mu should have signed him.Rosey,Logterman and Diener had some limitations and they did just fine.

OK Mr. LaChance.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »
Always a wise guy.How about I respect your opinion but I disagree.

feedback