collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Any Y'all Typically Fly Virgin America?  (Read 29103 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Any Y'all Typically Fly Virgin America?
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 12:21:21 AM »
What's with flying scheduled carriers? I head over to the Aero Club and check out a twin-engine Bonanza Baron or Cessna 310 for a week's skiing at Taos. Total air cost is $238 Round Trip Seattle to Santa Fe. Divided by 5 PAX that's $47.61 each RT. No parking at the airport, no lines at ticketing, no TSA Bull Sheet, no waiting at the gate, no delays, weather is never a problem, no baggage fees, no surly flight attendants, no fat guy reeking of BO sitting next to you, no elbow wrestling for the arm rest, no conga line to disembark, no waiting for baggage/lost luggage/broken skis. The only tips accepted by flight crew is Islay single malt.

C 310

Baron 58

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 12:59:46 AM »
Speaking of traveling, warm weather vacation next December...all inclusive...no more than a day of travel...what you got? Location and resort recommendations greatly appreciated. Not looking at a five digit vacation, but somewhere below that mark.

If you want some gouge on great Asian locales I can fill you in. There is travel to and from but you can get  a lot of quality for few $ and the experience of a lifetime. Culture, archaeology, diving, climbing, sailing, diving, naked Scandinavian women, golf, cabanas, etc... PM me if that might be of interest.

Death on call

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 05:47:52 AM »
Speaking of traveling, warm weather vacation next December...all inclusive...no more than a day of travel...what you got? Location and resort recommendations greatly appreciated. Not looking at a five digit vacation, but somewhere below that mark.

Honeymooned at Iberostar Grand in Punta Cana,  DR.   Loved it,  adults only (no kids or teens), beachside drink service,  solid food,  about 25 min from the airport.  Did 8 nights there,  with flights came to around $5K.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »
Hands down, the best hotel experience is the Peninsula. However, their only American presence is in NY, Chicago, and Beverly Hills.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 06:43:55 AM »
Hands down, the best hotel experience is the Peninsula. However, their only American presence is in NY, Chicago, and Beverly Hills.

Five Best hotels anywhere: Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, Raffles Singapore, Connaught Mayfair, Peninsula Hong Kong, Imperial Tokyo.

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 08:03:32 AM »
If you want some gouge on great Asian locales I can fill you in. There is travel to and from but you can get  a lot of quality for few $ and the experience of a lifetime. Culture, archaeology, diving, climbing, sailing, diving, naked Scandinavian women, golf, cabanas, etc... PM me if that might be of interest.

I do want to do Asia soon, but we don't want to dump our will be year old daughter on family for more than 5 days.

I figure anywhere past Hawaii might be pushing it for a shorter trip.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 10:07:20 AM »
I do want to do Asia soon, but we don't want to dump our will be year old daughter on family for more than 5 days.

Hedonism II

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 11:24:53 AM »

If you are looking for 5 or less days, stick to Mexico or the Caribbean.

Playa del Carmen and St Maarten, or the Virgin Islands are a all a quick nonstop flight from Chicago

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
If you are looking for 5 or less days, stick to Mexico or the Caribbean.

Playa del Carmen and St Maarten, or the Virgin Islands are a all a quick nonstop flight from Chicago

Agree, or even PR.
St. Johns is an easy trip.  Caneel Bay is a nice resort for a four night trip.
Ludum habemus.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
There is no worse airport in America than MIA.

LGA and Reagan are second/third worst.

Best airport is Charlotte. McCarron is much much better since the rehab, Denver is pretty nice except it's so far from downtown.

My biggest irritations...car rental facilities miles away (Sky Harbor the worst, BWI, Sea-Tac, Dulles, MIA close for second).

Other is that everyone has status it feels like. As someone who is on the road constantly, the proliferation of Group 2 at United has been annoying to watch.

You road warriors...what hotel brand you guys/gals loyal to?

Hilton.

Also, I avoid SWA if I can. Even if they do have more direct options I still prefer delta.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »
There is no worse airport in America than MIA.

LGA and Reagan are second/third worst.

Best airport is Charlotte. McCarron is much much better since the rehab, Denver is pretty nice except it's so far from downtown.

My biggest irritations...car rental facilities miles away (Sky Harbor the worst, BWI, Sea-Tac, Dulles, MIA close for second).

Other is that everyone has status it feels like. As someone who is on the road constantly, the proliferation of Group 2 at United has been annoying to watch.

I second MIA... I've flown through five times in my life.  I hope that's an accurate statement 50 years from now.

DEN is very inconvenient, but easy to move through at least.  Love MSP... quick, simple and rental cars on site... uncommon for a major hub.  SLC and EGE are my favorites because I don't even care about the airport.

I have used Hyatt for the last few years... They had the best earn/redemption value of all major hoteliers until they screwed it up a few months ago. Almost always get an upgrade at the Regency properties and Hyatt Place are great for when traveling with kids. I'll probably stick with them for now, but may have to look at Marriott again.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 04:56:05 PM »
Honeymooned at Iberostar Grand in Punta Cana,  DR.   Loved it,  adults only (no kids or teens), beachside drink service,  solid food,  about 25 min from the airport.  Did 8 nights there,  with flights came to around $5K.

Same place hopefully not the same room (or we stayed there first  ;)).  Love it and easy to get to. 

Recommend Traveloni.com for the non stop from Chicago to Mexico and the Caribbean all inclusives.  Not my favorite type vacation, but a really warm simple quick winter break sometimes is just the ticket

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
What's with flying scheduled carriers? I head over to the Aero Club and check out a twin-engine Bonanza Baron or Cessna 310 for a week's skiing at Taos. Total air cost is $238 Round Trip Seattle to Santa Fe. Divided by 5 PAX that's $47.61 each RT. No parking at the airport, no lines at ticketing, no TSA Bull Sheet, no waiting at the gate, no delays, weather is never a problem, no baggage fees, no surly flight attendants, no fat guy reeking of BO sitting next to you, no elbow wrestling for the arm rest, no conga line to disembark, no waiting for baggage/lost luggage/broken skis. The only tips accepted by flight crew is Islay single malt.

C 310

Figured you'd be a King Air kinda guy.

Baron 58

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »

If you travel to the Twin Cities try the Bloomington Hilton.  GM is Jim Waldvogel, '83 and last year's Bus Ad Service Award winner from the alumni association....and a heck of a nice guy. 

Keefe, he's also a Schroeder 10 North alum too.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »
If you travel to the Twin Cities try the Bloomington Hilton.  GM is Jim Waldvogel, '83 and last year's Bus Ad Service Award winner from the alumni association....and a heck of a nice guy. 

Jim comped me four tickets to the MU/Kentucky game in '03.  My daughter was working at his hotel while attending St. Thomas.  He was managing the Crowne Plaza at the time.  That and the Bloomington Hilton are actually owned by Marcus Corp.

Jim is a wonderful man.
Ludum habemus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 05:51:16 PM »
Jim comped me four tickets to the MU/Kentucky game in '03.  My daughter was working at his hotel while attending St. Thomas.  He was managing the Crowne Plaza at the time.  That and the Bloomington Hilton are actually owned by Marcus Corp.

Jim is a wonderful man.

Agreed.  A couple of us '83 alum in the cities (including Jim) get together a couple times a year to watch MU games.  We pick up right where we left off, if you know what I mean.

Jim's hotel hosted MU for the Sweet 16.  The reception at his hotel was great, got the whole team's autograph, with the exception of Denier.  Even got Hank's autograph on that same t-shirt.  Hank was great to talk to that night....a great memory.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:56:31 PM by real chili 83 »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
All hotels are nasty and infested.

The Heritage in Nashville gets my vote as one of the biggest surprises - one of my all time favorite hotels... and in Nashville.

Phones in the bathroom used to be a big selling point for me. That's gone away. Good audio or TV can be nowadays.

One thing I'd like more hotels to do is have check-in procedures that allowed you to not talk to a human and get checked in quickly. It's awful starting your day in one city at 4am, working until 9pm, then waiting 12+ minutes for some dink to get you a damn key to your room.

I stopped checking under the mattress for magazines years ago. I miss those days.

That Boston Harbor spot was good.. for views and meeting rooms and the bar... Hotel Monaco in Seattle.. a little bit goofy, but I liked it and IIRC the W is across the street - easy to hop over to their bar if desired. Waldorf Astoria in NYC... as unreasonably priced as any other OK NYC hotel. Blah. Beverly Hilton - lots of good times.

Cranberry Suites in Tomah!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »

I have never piloted a King Air but have PAX'd on them as the USAF, USMC, and USN use them as utility trash haulers. I fly Barons or C 130's for capacity reasons. When my wife was still here and we had the kids we would give the whole commercial aviation nightmare a miss and fly ourselves to and from. These aircraft hold six with ample cargo space. King Air is a great bird but I didn't need that much payload. And the King slurps JP8 like Scoopers swill Kool Aid. The smaller airframes also have the same power plants which gives a lot more thrust to weight.  

Interesting side note, I ran into a Marquette alum, Lloyd Knight, who was flying the military variant of the King Air, the C 12, for the USN over in the Sandbox. I was hitching a ride to Qatar from Al Taqqadum and he was the Command Pilot for the mission. Despite being a Navy Puke he is a great guy. He's the brother of MU soccer star Haydn Knight.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
All hotels are nasty and infested.

The Heritage in Nashville gets my vote as one of the biggest surprises - one of my all time favorite hotels... and in Nashville.

Phones in the bathroom used to be a big selling point for me. That's gone away. Good audio or TV can be nowadays.

One thing I'd like more hotels to do is have check-in procedures that allowed you to not talk to a human and get checked in quickly. It's awful starting your day in one city at 4am, working until 9pm, then waiting 12+ minutes for some dink to get you a damn key to your room.

I stopped checking under the mattress for magazines years ago. I miss those days.

That Boston Harbor spot was good.. for views and meeting rooms and the bar... Hotel Monaco in Seattle.. a little bit goofy, but I liked it and IIRC the W is across the street - easy to hop over to their bar if desired. Waldorf Astoria in NYC... as unreasonably priced as any other OK NYC hotel. Blah. Beverly Hilton - lots of good times.

Cranberry Suites in Tomah!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe you mean "The Hermitage". My brother had his wedding there.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:42:49 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2014, 06:42:07 PM »

Then he stands in well in my book. Schroeder 10 North: If those walls could speak...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2014, 06:54:13 PM »

Well, we all know who to blame for that lost slice of Americana. That sonuvabitch Al Gore had to go and invent the internet...

I remember as a lad at Georgetown Prep's boarding school the thrill of finding a stash of gentlemanly reading material. The kid's nowadays have no idea just how precious such discovery once was... 

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2014, 07:28:56 PM »
Agreed.  A couple of us '83 alum in the cities (including Jim) get together a couple times a year to watch MU games.  We pick up right where we left off, if you know what I mean.

Jim's hotel hosted MU for the Sweet 16.  The reception at his hotel was great, got the whole team's autograph, with the exception of Denier.  Even got Hank's autograph on that same t-shirt.  Hank was great to talk to that night....a great memory.

Then you and I were in the same room.  What a wonderful night that was.  I recall Tony Smith there, being Tony Smith, if you know what I mean. 
Ludum habemus.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »
being Tony Smith, if you know what I mean. 

Share the wealth, brother

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2014, 08:15:46 PM »
Then you and I were in the same room.  What a wonderful night that was.  I recall Tony Smith there, being Tony Smith, if you know what I mean. 

I remember Tony being there too.

Not sure...not familiar with your Tony Smith reference.

Agreed, great night.

feedback