collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Any Y'all Typically Fly Virgin America?  (Read 29100 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Any Y'all Typically Fly Virgin America?
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »
Long time Marriotts guy.

I'm not in the business profession so building points is on my dime.
Hence, Courtyard is usually my temporary bed when visiting places.

However, I will be sure to strongly recommend Kimpton hotels. My favorite when I want to stay somewhere and feel like the workers are attentive to every detail.

Rewards program is great: 7 stays equal 1 free night.
Check their Last Minute Deals...utilize their AAA discount if possible.
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2014, 08:27:47 PM »
When my wife and I checked into the Royal Shelbourne (now I think just the Shelbourne) in Dublin they had evidently overbooked. We were "bumped" to the Grace Kelly suite. Opulent, as least by Irish standards, but nothing compared to those fabulous Milwaukee hotels (Hyatt, Ambassador, Abbott Crest and others) where we partied on weekends in our "stuck in Schroeder Hall" days.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »
When my wife and I checked into the Royal Shelbourne (now I think just the Shelbourne) in Dublin they had evidently overbooked. We were "bumped" to the Grace Kelly suite. Opulent, as least by Irish standards, but nothing compared to those fabulous Milwaukee hotels (Hyatt, Ambassador, Abbott Crest and others) where we partied on weekends in our "stuck in Schroeder Hall" days.

Is it true that in Ireland they charge PER PERSON staying in the room?
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »

I was there almost 30 years ago with my wife and a group of 6 others. I don't recall, but I don't think so, at least back them.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »

Sneak your wife in through the back door.

Another lost slice of Americana is sneaking guys into the drive-in. 2 guys in the car and 3 in the trunk.

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2014, 09:19:19 PM »
Share the wealth, brother

Oh, let's just say that he had an illegal smile.
Ludum habemus.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »

Another lost slice of Americana is sneaking guys into the drive-in. 2 guys in the car and 3 in the trunk.

Along with the three cases of beer,

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2014, 09:26:32 PM »

Did this all through high school.  My wife and I were talking about this the other day.  There is a drive in about 2 hours from our house that is still in service and we plan on taking the kids to a movie this Summer just so they can understand what it was like.  In high school, we often had our drinking parties there.  Good times.

I'm a Marriott guy also, have a time share with them so points are big for us.  Been lucky on the company dime or other company's dimes (usually FOX or ESPN) to stay at some pretty nice places in New York and elsewhere over the years.

Airlines....I have status with American so that's the deal.  If I'm lucky and it's very rare, get on the Gulf Stream 5 and fly with the company.  There is nothing greater...what a ride that thing is.  That's a once every 18 month experience if I am lucky, but one that is certainly an event to remember.  I avoid Southwest like the plague, but often traveling in California requires I take them.  If I need to get on a value airline, I'd much rather do JetBlue if I can.

To this day, never taken Virgin but always heard great things about it. 

Singapore Air, JAL, a few others...very very nice.    I miss Pan Am.  LOL...I really do.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2014, 11:09:36 PM »
Singapore Air, JAL, a few others...very very nice.    I miss Pan Am.  LOL...I really do.

3 Best Airlines, bar none:

SQ, CX, TG

Nothing else compares.

Domestic American Flag Carriers

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:46:35 PM by keefe »

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2014, 11:10:37 PM »
Oh, let's just say that he had an illegal smile.

Roger smile, now legal in WA and CO

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2014, 12:24:03 AM »
If you are looking for 5 or less days, stick to Mexico or the Caribbean.

Playa del Carmen and St Maarten, or the Virgin Islands are a all a quick nonstop flight from Chicago

The advantage of same hemisphere travel is avoiding jet lag.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2014, 07:18:20 AM »
As an former co-worker explained to me, "It's all about the points."

It always Delta or any Skyteam Alliance member. 
I only stay at Marriotts or Hilton brand hotels. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2014, 08:54:05 AM »
MIA is the worst airport, had a couple just incomprehensibly stupid experiences there(like multi-level, multiple people stupid).  It's at it's worst when transiting from international locales.

ORD and MSP are good, and so is DET after the renovation especially as a transition point surprisingly.

I fly United because of status.  Don't mind Delta either.  Avoid US Scare is at all possible.

Hilton brand, again because of points, but when I'm on the road in the less the major cities I find the Hampton Inns to be a perfectly acceptable low cost location...free breakfast is nice :)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »
I have never piloted a King Air but have PAX'd on them as the USAF, USMC, and USN use them as utility trash haulers. I fly Barons or C 130's for capacity reasons. When my wife was still here and we had the kids we would give the whole commercial aviation nightmare a miss and fly ourselves to and from. These aircraft hold six with ample cargo space. King Air is a great bird but I didn't need that much payload. And the King slurps JP8 like Scoopers swill Kool Aid. The smaller airframes also have the same power plants which gives a lot more thrust to weight.  

Interesting side note, I ran into a Marquette alum, Lloyd Knight, who was flying the military variant of the King Air, the C 12, for the USN over in the Sandbox. I was hitching a ride to Qatar from Al Taqqadum and he was the Command Pilot for the mission. Despite being a Navy Puke he is a great guy. He's the brother of MU soccer star Haydn Knight.

The C-12s are interesting as "non-combat" aircraft.  Lost one of the ISR birds almost a year ago

http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/30/the-crash-of-independence-08/

Lesson as always, never, ever get behind the power curve.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:53:17 AM by mu03eng »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
I did Playa del Carmen already, try to Royal if you're looking there.

Thinking maybe St. Lucia, anyone been?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »

We toyed with it, supposed to be the closest thing to Hawaii, without going to actually Hawaii.  Keep in mind, the travel to the resorts is on the other side of the island from the main airport (UVF).  And it's something like 2-3 hour drive, (or $$$ helicopter ride).  Not the easiest place to get to either, most trips take 9-12 hours of travel time, plus driving to the resorts, with flights costing around $1200 apiece.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »

Yep, did a Sandals in St Lucia.  St Lucia was awesome, though depending on the resort can be a bit of an adventure to get somewhere (airport is in the middle of the island so no easy way to any where from there).

While St Lucia was great, I can't say that Sandel's was all that great.  The theory is you pay more for better facilities and service(no tipping is allowed) but I had done a couple of Dreams all inclusives in Mexico(lower end all inclusive) and found the service and food to be much better than Sandals.  Facilities are very nice, especially at the Grande(most expensive of the three there).  Stand at La Toc, was very nice.  Halcyon was the lowest cost of the three and you could tell.  If you stay at one you shuttle to any of the other resorts and use them free of charge.  La Toc and Grande are about an hour apart via shuttle.

If you go to St Lucia, I highly recommend taking one of the big speed boat tours around the islands, had a lot of fun and saw a lot.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
Yeah, I was looking at the BodyHoliday which is a solid 90 minutes from the airport. That sucks. Plus no direct flights from ORD. 9 hours from airport to resort isn't awesome at all.

Really don't want to go Mexico again, but leaning towards it being so easy.

Anyone ever stay at Excellence resorts?

http://www.excellence-resorts.com/caribbean-and-mexico-destinations/excellence-playa-mujeres

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »
We toyed with it, supposed to be the closest thing to Hawaii, without going to actually Hawaii.  Keep in mind, the travel to the resorts is on the other side of the island from the main airport (UVF).  And it's something like 2-3 hour drive, (or $$$ helicopter ride).  Not the easiest place to get to either, most trips take 9-12 hours of travel time, plus driving to the resorts, with flights costing around $1200 apiece.

This is correct, you have a long flight typically with a connection somewhere(avoid Miami at all costs) then a long bus ride to get to the resort.  We flew out of OHare going there at 630AM, switched planes in Charlotte, got to the St Lucia airport around 300PM and got to the resort around 530PM or so.  Makes for a long day.

The couple we were traveling with had also done Jamaica and they highly recommended it as an FYI.  Travel is easier there.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2014, 10:01:12 AM »
trip #12 to Jamaica in just a few weeks, easy 4 hour direct flight from MKE then just over an hour private taxi to Negril. Of course you could stay in MoBay and skip the hour ride to Negril

we don't do all-inclusives any more but can see the appeal for some, we like to get off the compound and see the area (and save money)

lots of small family owned boutique hotels on the beach or the cliffs in Negril

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »
I like this thread, enjoy hearing people's experiences and takes on travel.

St. Lucia is as close to Hawaii that I've seen. Most Carribean locales are tough to get to only because of the connections. Barbados is excellent too, just really tough to get to. Had to do Sandals in Antigua for a customer event two years ago...awful experience. It was my first all inclusive, and left very sour taste.

I like St. Thomas and PR. More flight options, don't need a passport.

Anyone been to Atlantis? Like/dislike?

For those that stay at Marriott's, on company dime, do you typically stay at Courtyards or full service? I have status with Marriott (not that anyone should care), but I typically stay at full service on the road for the full breakfast and lounge access (due to status).

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:34 AM »
St Lucia is awesome.  Did a sunset catamaran trip (through Sandals) was the best "add on" we did all week.

Plus, they have a great local beer, Pitons, named after the mountains. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2014, 10:26:50 AM »
trip #12 to Jamaica in just a few weeks, easy 4 hour direct flight from MKE then just over an hour private taxi to Negril. Of course you could stay in MoBay and skip the hour ride to Negril

we don't do all-inclusives any more but can see the appeal for some, we like to get off the compound and see the area (and save money)

lots of small family owned boutique hotels on the beach or the cliffs in Negril

I'm going to look at Jamaica again. Mrs. PTM is fussy with money, so all-inclusive is a must. If she doesn't actually exchange money other than tips, it's for the better.

Think I'll save Saint Lucia for when we can do a full week with travel.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »
St Lucia is awesome.  Did a sunset catamaran trip (through Sandals) was the best "add on" we did all week.

Plus, they have a great local beer, Pitons, named after the mountains. 

Agree the beer is fantastic, and I never tired of making Mount Piton jokes around the pool.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »
I like this thread, enjoy hearing people's experiences and takes on travel.

St. Lucia is as close to Hawaii that I've seen. Most Carribean locales are tough to get to only because of the connections. Barbados is excellent too, just really tough to get to. Had to do Sandals in Antigua for a customer event two years ago...awful experience. It was my first all inclusive, and left very sour taste.

I like St. Thomas and PR. More flight options, don't need a passport.

Anyone been to Atlantis? Like/dislike?

For those that stay at Marriott's, on company dime, do you typically stay at Courtyards or full service? I have status with Marriott (not that anyone should care), but I typically stay at full service on the road for the full breakfast and lounge access (due to status).

I 2nd Puerto Rico, while they don't have all inclusives, still very reasonable, leave by 6am, on the beach by 1pm.  This year Mrs. Reinko and I are renting a small condo in the Condado area of San Juan thru vrbo.com (Vacation Rental By Owner).