[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Diamond Stone  (Read 146156 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Diamond Stone
« Reply #325 on: April 27, 2014, 12:09:11 PM »
His point is Stone has no intention of going to MU and is stringing us along solely to get the free tickets.

Translated, he alleges Stone is deceitful.

My aren't we argumentative this morning.  If you want to argue over Diamond's integrity that's fine.  I don't know him one bit so I have no idea.

I was simply correcting a factual error on your part.

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #326 on: April 27, 2014, 12:50:22 PM »
True but that does make it 1/200 like you a say.

tokoto was not a top 10 recruit.  He was as highly ranked as jamil,  Burton and Duane (depending on the service)

Looney was top 10 but largely from day 1 acted like he wanted to go away for school.

My opinion, is that it is 1/200.  Do you understand what an opinion is?  J.P. was a top 10 level player and started dropping in the rankings as a Jr.  That is why Roy Williams, Coach K, were at MF games.  The bigger point is that when you are this level of player, you don't eliminate the local school early in the process.  Free admission drying up is just one part of this equation. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 27, 2014, 01:16:20 PM »
My opinion, is that it is 1/200.  Do you understand what an opinion is?  J.P. was a top 10 level player and started dropping in the rankings as a Jr.  That is why Roy Williams, Coach K, were at MF games.  The bigger point is that when you are this level of player, you don't eliminate the local school early in the process.  Free admission drying up is just one part of this equation.  

I also know that no expert is even close to your opinion so you're an extreme outlier.  But hey, it's your opinion.  And I have no doubt if Stone goes elsewhere, you'll insist you adds were correct even though all objective evidence says 1/200 is way way off.

And yes Tokoto was top 10 and started dropping his Junior year, just like Jamil.  But you're reverting back to the WI inferiority complex that Tokoto, ranked 87 in the nation by the time he graduated was actually "better" solely because he went to UNC.  And Burton and Duane, ranked in the 50s, were not as good because they "settled" for a second rated program in MU ... because everything Milwaukee is second rated and highly ranked recruits that pick MU must have a problem.

Yes I'm being argumentative because your post pissed me off, I saw it as an unnecessary broadside against MU from a supposed fan.  If you want to believe MU is a permanent second ranked program, that is your choice.

Finally, Get the blood-blood list correct, it starts with Uconn and then has Michigan State and Syracuse on it.  Yes, schools in second rate cities (like Milwaukee) that have lousy winters can be blood-blood programs.

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #328 on: April 27, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
I also know that no expert is even close to your opinion so you're an extreme outlier.  But hey, it's your opinion.  And I have no doubt if Stone goes elsewhere, you'll insist you adds were correct even though all objective evidence says 1/200 is way way off.

And yes Tokoto was top 10 and started dropping his Junior year, just like Jamil.  But you're reverting back to the WI inferiority complex that Tokoto, ranked 87 in the nation by the time he graduated was actually "better" solely because he went to UNC.  And Burton and Duane, ranked in the 50s, were not as good because they "settled" for a second rated program in MU ... because everything Milwaukee is second rated and highly ranked recruits that pick MU must have a problem.

Yes I'm being argumentative because your post pissed me off, I saw it as an unnecessary broadside against MU from a supposed fan.  If you want to believe MU is a permanent second ranked program, that is your choice.

Finally, Get the blood-blood list correct, it starts with Uconn and then has Michigan State and Syracuse on it.  Yes, schools in second rate cities (like Milwaukee) that have lousy winters can be blood-blood programs.

You are a piece of work.  My opinion is that Diamond goes to a blue blood program.  it is not a knock on MU.  I just don't want to read the typical sky is falling type crap if this becomes reality.  Next time a top 5 player stays home and goes to a local non blue blood program, let me know!  I'm sure it has happened, but it is not the norm.  I'm sure Wojo will be placing his eggs in multiple baskets, in trying to land front court players. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #329 on: April 27, 2014, 01:58:24 PM »
The Stones do not pay for those seats, and neither do the families of players when they attend games.  Each player gets 8 seats to have friends and family come to.  If they aren't going to use all 8 seats then they can put guests of other players who may want more than 8 seats on their list.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 27, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »
ESPN rankings for the 2014 class

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

#5 Emmanuel Mudiay from Dallas going to SMU
#14 Isaiah Whitehead from Brooklyn going to Seton Hall
#19 Rashad Vaughn from Finday Prep going to UNLV
#20 James Blackmon, Jr. from Marion Indana going to Indiana

ESPN rankings for the 2013 class

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2013

#10 Kasey Hill Clarmont FL to Florida
#11 Jarrell Martin from Baton Rouge going to LSU
#12 Chris Walker from Bonifay, FL to Florida
#15 Austin Nichols from Eads TN to Memphis
#16 Bobby Portis from Little Rock to Arkansas
#19 Nigel Williams-Goss from Happy Valley OR, to Washington

ESPN rankings for the 2012 class
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2012

#3 Isaiah Austin from Austin TX to Baylor
#7 Anthony Bennett from Findlay Prep to UNLV
#8 Cameron Ridley from Fort Bend TX to Texas
#10 Marcus Smart from Fort Mound Texas to Oklahoma State
#17 Sam Dekker from Sheboygan, WI to Wisconsin
#18 Glenn Robinson from Saint John IN to Michigan
#19 Danuel House from Sugar Land, TX to Houston
#20 Rodney Purvis from Raleigh, NC to NC State

We can add #2 Myles turner to this list now.  The Texas native just committed to UT
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/10862976/myles-turner-nation-no-2-recruit-play-texas-longhorns

Can we put to rest that top 5 recruits only go to blue bloods?  2 of the top 5 in next years freshmen class picked local options.

One in the 2015 class has already picked a local option (Simmons chose LSU).

So, yes nothing unusual about Diamond Stone of Milwaukee picking MU, these types of decisions happen all the time.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:02:23 PM by Heisenberg »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #331 on: April 27, 2014, 02:01:05 PM »
Top 20 players from the last three years.  Gee I see no one staying home, how about you?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2013

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2012

Any in Wisconsin going to Marquette?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #332 on: April 27, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
Any in Wisconsin going to Marquette?

Looney went to UCLA and Dekker went to Bucky.  That's it for the last three years.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #333 on: April 27, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »
And for 2015 (Stone is #5)

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2015/view/super60/sort/rank/order/true

#3 Ben Simmons from Melbourne, AUS and Montverde Academy in FL going to LSU
#20 K.J. Lawson from Memphis TN to Memphis

(most, like Stone, are uncommitted)

So unless Simmons switches, Stone would not be the highest ranked player of his class to choose to stay home.  Others in the top 4 are also considering local schools.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #334 on: April 27, 2014, 02:50:04 PM »
If Diamond chooses MU great, but if not, I just hope he doesn't go to VaTech. That would be a nightmare scenario.

Why? We don't play Virginia Tech. It's not like we'd ever see Stone again.

I'd be more annoyed by Wisconsin landing him
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #335 on: April 27, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »
So I will call Diamond and offer him $1000 for the two seats to attend with him.  He will call the ticket office and say his "guest" is "uncle Heisenberg and his cousin."

That is how it can be abused (and sold).

At least at TAMU we have protections against that. Only immediate family (father, mother, legal guardian, brother, sister, son, or daughter) are allowed to accompany the recruit. If a recruit wants to hold a bidding war between their family for who gets the seat, I guess that's on them.
TAMU

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #336 on: April 27, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »
The Stones do not pay for those seats, and neither do the families of players when they attend games.  Each player gets 8 seats to have friends and family come to.  If they aren't going to use all 8 seats then they can put guests of other players who may want more than 8 seats on their list.

Then what was Calipari complaining about?  Only the final 4? 

What don't players families get tickets for?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #337 on: April 27, 2014, 03:31:13 PM »
Then what was Calipari complaining about?  Only the final 4? 

What don't players families get tickets for?

NCAA Tournament you do not get tickets for free.  There is a certain number of tickets given to each team that makes it to divide between families/friends/whoever of staff and players, but they must be paid for by the person using the tickets.  They are nice seats, though.

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #338 on: April 27, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »
Top 20 players from the last three years.  Gee I see no one staying home at a non-blood (which you define as UCLA, Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky), how about you?

You found a couple, but had to expand the list to top 20 to find more than a few.  Like I said, not the norm.  You can believe all you want that Diamond is coming to MU.  I would be very happy if that plays out.  My personal opinion are the chances are slim to none.  You go ahead and believe it though and most likely will be the first to complain that Wojo is doing a bad job because he didn't land Diamond. 

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #339 on: April 27, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »
You found a couple, but had to expand the list to top 20 to find more than a few.  Like I said, not the norm.  You can believe all you want that Diamond is coming to MU.  I would be very happy if that plays out.  My personal opinion are the chances are slim to none.  You go ahead and believe it though and most likely will be the first to complain that Wojo is doing a bad job because he didn't land Diamond. 

MU's chances improved when Brent left. Diamond liked MU with Brent but Diamond's father thought he was slime. Smart man.

Coach K has been to WFD quite a few times to see Diamond as well as meet with Coach Berger. Right now Duke seems to have a slight lead with Bucky behind them.

NOW with Wojo, Diamond has stayed interested in MU and his father likes the hire a lot. It will be interesting summer to see what Wojo can do. Right now the top 3 in order would be Duke, Bucky & Marquette.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #340 on: April 27, 2014, 04:13:37 PM »
Let's go back to your original post ...

Everybody seems to think Stone to MU is a real possibility.

Because he was until Brent left

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Diamond-Stone-at-Dominican-32128/CurrentExpertPredictions

I would prefer to go after other guys, and if we get him, just be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!.  I tend to think there are a lot of MU fans that will be really disappointed if we don't land him.

We are going after other guys.

The surprise will be if we do!  I would put the odds at less than 1/2 of 1 percent.  

See above, you're allowed to hold an incorrect opinion, and this is and incorrect opinion.  

He will be like the typical local star who won't eliminate MU until the end. so the supply of game tickets does not dry up.  

So you you called Stone a cheat, a liar to MU to get free tickets, disgraceful.

Just my thoughts.  I will bet my bottom dollar that he ends up at one of 5 schools.  KY, Duke, UCLA, Kansas or North Carolina.  Us MU fans want to believe he will come here, but with all the pressure, it's almost impossible for a top 10 guy to say no to one of those schools.  

The list above has 5 top 10 guys in the last three years going to local options.  6 if you count Simmons in the 2015 class going to LSU.  So, it happens all the time.

We would be better of if he was a fringe top 50 - 75 guy.

This is what set me off.  Top 50 to 75 are fringe guys?  Ignorant statement

Ellenson is ranked 49 by ESPN.  He is one spot from qualifying as a fringe guy.  Should we tell him he's a fringe guy and not good enough for the Duke offer?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:16:02 PM by Heisenberg »

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #341 on: April 27, 2014, 06:09:04 PM »
Let's go back to your original post ...

Everybody seems to think Stone to MU is a real possibility.

Because he was until Brent left

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Diamond-Stone-at-Dominican-32128/CurrentExpertPredictions

I would prefer to go after other guys, and if we get him, just be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!.  I tend to think there are a lot of MU fans that will be really disappointed if we don't land him.

We are going after other guys.

The surprise will be if we do!  I would put the odds at less than 1/2 of 1 percent.  

See above, you're allowed to hold an incorrect opinion, and this is and incorrect opinion.  

He will be like the typical local star who won't eliminate MU until the end. so the supply of game tickets does not dry up.  

So you you called Stone a cheat, a liar to MU to get free tickets, disgraceful.

Just my thoughts.  I will bet my bottom dollar that he ends up at one of 5 schools.  KY, Duke, UCLA, Kansas or North Carolina.  Us MU fans want to believe he will come here, but with all the pressure, it's almost impossible for a top 10 guy to say no to one of those schools.  

The list above has 5 top 10 guys in the last three years going to local options.  6 if you count Simmons in the 2015 class going to LSU.  So, it happens all the time.

We would be better of if he was a fringe top 50 - 75 guy.

This is what set me off.  Top 50 to 75 are fringe guys?  Ignorant statement

Ellenson is ranked 49 by ESPN.  He is one spot from qualifying as a fringe guy.  Should we tell him he's a fringe guy and not good enough for the Duke offer?

I meant that it is easier to keep guys ranked 50-75 at home.  You are just trying to be a douche!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #342 on: April 27, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
More of the same of people who think we have no chance at Stone--low expectations for the program. With those type of standards set by fans and coaches, MU will continue to flounder at the 17-15 level with an occasional surprise year. I prefer to have the high expectations. no reason why we should not.

We have been floundering at the 17-15 level with an occasional surprise year? Wow. News to me. And here I thought that last year was the exception and that prior to last year we had the 5th or 6th longest NCAA tournament appearance streak in the country. I am not sure what I must have been watching.

Stop being so melodramatic.

Willie Warrior has waited patiently for a 17-15 record, so he could run around and say; "The sky is falling".  Don't mess with his happy, he may not get another shot like this for some time.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #343 on: April 27, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »
Yes, you can call the Athletic department and request the tickets for face value.  I can too.  Whether they sell them to you is another factor.  For you, unless you donate enough or are a recruit, the answer is no.  The Athletic office is free to sell those seats to whoever they want and they elect to sell them to Stone and his family.

Before we go off on a tangent, let's remember the context here.  MUfan72 believes their is a 1/200 chance Stone picks MU and is only stringing us along so we give him free tickets for as long as possible.  Of course, 72 is suggesting that MU is either stupid or desperate and they continually give him free tickets without realizing their stand no chance.  NCAA rules do not allow impermissible benefits and free tickets are an impermissible benefit (except on an official visit ... which is part of the reason they have such a thing).  What 72 suggests is not allowed.

If you believe that we can shower the Stone family with free tickets, answer this?  Can Stone sell them?  Can papa Stone give them to a boss or client at his work to gain an advantage?  Can pap Stone take a boss or client to the game to gain an advantage?  Why can we can drop free tickets on a recruits head but UW cannot give free tickets to Kamisky's family to watch their son play in Dallas in the final four (see Calipari's complaint about this).  Why can we give free tickets to a recruit, but not a t-shirt and ride home (see Scott Monrach).

Fact is there are no free tickets.  Its not allowed.  Stone pays for them.  That said, Stone ticket office is the athletic department.  Your ticket office is the MU ticket department.  The seats the athletic department decide to sell to Stone are different than the seats the MU ticket office sell to you.

You and Stone pay face value and the highest face value tickets MU has, I believe, are $40 each.

Actually, you kind of make We R Final Four's argument for him.  While the tickets are not free they are premium seats that MU would not choose to sell to the Stone family except for the expectation that they could provide MU with a (permissible) recruiting benefit.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #344 on: April 27, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »
MU's chances improved when Brent left. Diamond liked MU with Brent but Diamond's father thought he was slime. Smart man.

Coach K has been to WFD quite a few times to see Diamond as well as meet with Coach Berger. Right now Duke seems to have a slight lead with Bucky behind them.

NOW with Wojo, Diamond has stayed interested in MU and his father likes the hire a lot. It will be interesting summer to see what Wojo can do. Right now the top 3 in order would be Duke, Bucky & Marquette.

Hberg, you're on quite the rant today.  What's got you so riled up about this thread?

Sultan was right about the tickets.  MU does this for other athletes too who are in the Olympic sports.  There's a "ticket" waiting for them at each game.

Chili said it well.  I was thinking the same thing about Stone's dad.  Never got a good vibe about him and Barney.  Things have changed for the better.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 27, 2014, 06:41:35 PM »
Hberg, you're on quite the rant today.  What's got you so riled up about this thread?

Sultan was right about the tickets.  MU does this for other athletes too who are in the Olympic sports.  There's a "ticket" waiting for them at each game.

Chili said it well.  I was thinking the same thing about Stone's dad.  Never got a good vibe about him and Barney.  Things have changed for the better.

I detest anyone that thinks MU is second class (or the WI inferiority complex as I call it) and I interpreted "We would be better of if he was a fringe top 50 - 75 guy as part of this second class thinking.

I love the school, it has treated me well, I strongly recommend it to anyone who asks.  So yes I get riled when someone tells me its second class. 

72, sorry if that was not your intention.  We don't have to take a back seat to anyone.  When Stone gets drafted his position will be the same if goes to MU or any of the blue-bloods (see UNLV's Anthony Bennett last year). Diamond should stay home so eight members of his family can watch him live and in person at every home game for free!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #346 on: April 27, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
I had a similar reaction to his thread that said we essentially had zero chance with Stone.  I respect his opinion, as he has history on his side.

Stone's old man sounds like a smart dude.  Let's hope Wojo plays his cards right.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #347 on: April 27, 2014, 07:57:35 PM »
I had a similar reaction to his thread that said we essentially had zero chance with Stone.  I respect his opinion, as he has history on his side.

Stone's old man sounds like a smart dude.  Let's hope Wojo plays his cards right.

Reportedly, he was one of the first to see cracks in Buzz's sincerity.  That's a good judge of character.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2014, 08:13:33 PM »
Top 20 players from the last three years.  Gee I see no one staying home at a non-blood (which you define as UCLA, Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky), how about you

I see two.  Findlay Prep is in Henderson, NV which is a suburb of Las Vegas.

FWIW - SD State and UNLV both have top recruiting classes and should both be very good.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #349 on: April 27, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »
I see two.  Findlay Prep is in Henderson, NV which is a suburb of Las Vegas.

FWIW - SD State and UNLV both have top recruiting classes and should both be very good.

UNLV has a helluva class but they are losing four of their five starters from this season I believe. It will be interesting to see how the freshmen hold up.
TAMU

feedback