'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Diamond Stone  (Read 146154 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Diamond Stone
« Reply #300 on: April 27, 2014, 08:39:01 AM »
Everybody seems to think Stone to MU is a real possibility.  I would prefer to go after other guys, and if we get him, just be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!.  I tend to think there are a lot of MU fans that will be really disappointed if we don't land him.  The surprise will be if we do!  I would put the odds at less than 1/2 of 1 percent.  He will be like the typical local star who won't eliminate MU until the end. so the supply of game tickets does not dry up.  Just my thoughts.  I will bet my bottom dollar that he ends up at one of 5 schools.  KY, Duke, UCLA, Kansas or North Carolina.  Us MU fans want to believe he will come here, but with all the pressure, it's almost impossible for a top 10 guy to say no to one of those schools.  We would be better of if he was a fringe top 50 - 75 guy.

First, how did you come up with a 1/200 chance he's coming to MU?  Before Brent left, 5 of 7 crystal ball recruiting experts were predicting Stone to MU?  Why are you more knowledgeable than people that get paid to follow this stuff?

Is it because Brent left?  Well if Brent was so important to Stone's decision, than what odds do you put on Stone going to VT?  Also 1/200?  If so, that means Brent was not that important.  So again, why was he such a heavy lean to MU?  Everyone has it wrong but you?

Oh, it's to get free tickets to the games?  When did MU start regularly committing NCAA violations by handing out impermissible benefits to recruits (free tickets)?  Wasn't Juan suspended for taking free Brewer playoffs tickets?  Wasn't Monarch fired for offering a t-shirt and ride home to a recruit?  Now you're arguing that we can shower Stone and his family with endless court-side seats and the NCAA finds this acceptable?

(Note whatever made rationalization you want to give about the ticket angle, I will guarantee you if Looney or Tokoto family called now, they would get the same.)

Instead what this is another example of the wI inferiority complex.  I guess Milwaukee is an indian name "second rate or second class."

Reading your post, here is what you're saying .... Maybe MU should scrap the "be the difference" campaign and go with "Marquette, America's safety school."  Where you go when all the good options are exhausted. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #301 on: April 27, 2014, 08:46:16 AM »
Everybody seems to think Stone to MU is a real possibility.  I would prefer to go after other guys, and if we get him, just be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!.  I tend to think there are a lot of MU fans that will be really disappointed if we don't land him.  The surprise will be if we do!  I would put the odds at less than 1/2 of 1 percent.  He will be like the typical local star who won't eliminate MU until the end. so the supply of game tickets does not dry up.  Just my thoughts.  I will bet my bottom dollar that he ends up at one of 5 schools.  KY, Duke, UCLA, Kansas or North Carolina.  Us MU fans want to believe he will come here, but with all the pressure, it's almost impossible for a top 10 guy to say no to one of those schools.  We would be better of if he was a fringe top 50 - 75 guy.
More of the same of people who think we have no chance at Stone--low expectations for the program. With those type of standards set by fans and coaches, MU will continue to flounder at the 17-15 level with an occasional surprise year. I prefer to have the high expectations. no reason why we should not.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #302 on: April 27, 2014, 08:46:55 AM »
Not all tickets are the same--DStone has sat behind the bench for several years. JPT also did as well. I don't know for sure, but doubt they pay for them. Either MU or boosters supplied them is my guess.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:00:16 AM by We R Final Four »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2014, 08:52:28 AM »
Not all tickets are the same--DStone has sat behind the bench for several years. JPT also did as well. I don't know for sure, but doubt they pai for them. Either MU or boosters supplied them is my guess.

So boosters can legally give benefits to recruits?  When did this become allowable?  Because right now, this week, Calipari is complaining they cannot give NCAA tickets to players families.  But booster showering tickets on recruits is allowable?

Try this, Stone's family paid for them.  And they do because, maybe, they are MU fans (or college basketball fans in general) and like the idea of Diamond playing close to home.

Stop making up stuff.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:54:31 AM by Heisenberg »

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2014, 08:54:06 AM »
More of the same of people who think we have no chance at Stone--low expectations for the program. With those type of standards set by fans and coaches, MU will continue to flounder at the 17-15 level with an occasional surprise year. I prefer to have the high expectations. no reason why we should not.

We have been floundering at the 17-15 level with an occasional surprise year? Wow. News to me. And here I thought that last year was the exception and that prior to last year we had the 5th or 6th longest NCAA tournament appearance streak in the country. I am not sure what I must have been watching.

Stop being so melodramatic.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #305 on: April 27, 2014, 09:06:44 AM »
At one point there was probably a 90% chance that Stone would wither play for MU or UW as he seemed to wanted to stay close to home. I of course do not really know, but my impression is that he is now more interested in playing elsewhere. I would say 30% UW/MU and 70% out of state. With Wojo I would say it is 20% MU and 10% UW. I think the longer he goes without committing to UW the more their chances shrink in getting Stone.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2014, 09:16:25 AM »
So boosters can legally give benefits to recruits?  When did this become allowable?  Because right now, this week, Calipari is complaining they cannot give NCAA tickets to players families.  But booster showering tickets on recruits is allowable?

Try this, Stone's family paid for them.  And they do because, maybe, they are MU fans (or college basketball fans in general) and like the idea of Diamond playing close to home.

Stop making up stuff.
It must be coincidence that JPT'S tickets just happen to be the exact same seats as the ones the Stones use.
Assuming that neither family had any substantial points accrued, the cost for season tickets in this location would be astronomical.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »
It must be coincidence that JPT'S tickets just happen to be the exact same seats as the ones the Stones use.
Assuming that neither family had any substantial points accrued, the cost for season tickets in this location would be astronomical.

No. they are $40/each, the face value.  They bought them (repeat bought them) from the University at face value).

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #308 on: April 27, 2014, 10:22:50 AM »
I see now---you, me, John Q. Public and a highly ranked recruit all can just call up MU ticket office and purchase for $40/game..........directly behind the bench. I had no idea. I wonder if they are available for the UW game for face value cuz I'd like to sit there.  I feel bad for those suckers directly aside to those tickets cuz that guy has been a season ticket holder for 50 years, he is an alum, his wife is an alum, he is MU Law, he is a letter winner, and he donates thousands of $ each year to the B/G fund in order to secure those seats.
And according to you he didn't have to do any of this---he could have made a phone call. Who knew it was that easy.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #309 on: April 27, 2014, 10:46:44 AM »
I see now---you, me, John Q. Public and a highly ranked recruit all can just call up MU ticket office and purchase for $40/game..........directly behind the bench. I had no idea. I wonder if they are available for the UW game for face value cuz I'd like to sit there.  I feel bad for those suckers directly aside to those tickets cuz that guy has been a season ticket holder for 50 years, he is an alum, his wife is an alum, he is MU Law, he is a letter winner, and he donates thousands of $ each year to the B/G fund in order to secure those seats.
And according to you he didn't have to do any of this---he could have made a phone call. Who knew it was that easy.

Yes, you can call the Athletic department and request the tickets for face value.  I can too.  Whether they sell them to you is another factor.  For you, unless you donate enough or are a recruit, the answer is no.  The Athletic office is free to sell those seats to whoever they want and they elect to sell them to Stone and his family.

Before we go off on a tangent, let's remember the context here.  MUfan72 believes their is a 1/200 chance Stone picks MU and is only stringing us along so we give him free tickets for as long as possible.  Of course, 72 is suggesting that MU is either stupid or desperate and they continually give him free tickets without realizing their stand no chance.  NCAA rules do not allow impermissible benefits and free tickets are an impermissible benefit (except on an official visit ... which is part of the reason they have such a thing).  What 72 suggests is not allowed.

If you believe that we can shower the Stone family with free tickets, answer this?  Can Stone sell them?  Can papa Stone give them to a boss or client at his work to gain an advantage?  Can pap Stone take a boss or client to the game to gain an advantage?  Why can we can drop free tickets on a recruits head but UW cannot give free tickets to Kamisky's family to watch their son play in Dallas in the final four (see Calipari's complaint about this).  Why can we give free tickets to a recruit, but not a t-shirt and ride home (see Scott Monrach).

Fact is there are no free tickets.  Its not allowed.  Stone pays for them.  That said, Stone ticket office is the athletic department.  Your ticket office is the MU ticket department.  The seats the athletic department decide to sell to Stone are different than the seats the MU ticket office sell to you.

You and Stone pay face value and the highest face value tickets MU has, I believe, are $40 each.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:48:42 AM by Heisenberg »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #310 on: April 27, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »
Stone is a solid MU lean. From what I am hearing, if he had to make a decision this second, he would be a Warrior. However, the big guns (Calipari) haven't really started yet.

Stone is MU's to lose. Their biggest challenge will be when Kentucky comes a calling. Calipari is willing to offer things that Wojo can't/won't.

I forgot to add this originally but Respect the Process
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:11:01 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #311 on: April 27, 2014, 10:52:27 AM »
Stone is a solid MU lean. From what I am hearing, if he had to make a decision this second, he would be a Warrior. However, the big guns (Calipari) haven't really started yet.

Stone is MU's to lose. Their biggest challenge will be when Kentucky comes a calling. Calipari is willing to offer things that Wojo can't/won't.

Yeah, like truckloads of cash.
Relax. Respect the Process.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #312 on: April 27, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »

not so sure about that.
my understanding is that he still really is still up in the air.
(from someone thissssss close to the lad)
fwiw

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #313 on: April 27, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
Fact is there are no free tickets.  Its not allowed.  Stone pays for them.  That said, Stone ticket office is the athletic department.  Your ticket office is the MU ticket department.  The seats the athletic department decide to sell to Stone are different than the seats the MU ticket office sell to you.

You and Stone pay face value and the highest face value tickets MU has, I believe, are $40 each.

This is false.

A prospect can be given entry, along with two guests, to any school sporting event without limitation.  (They aren't given tickets...but admitted as guests.)

These are considered unofficial visits so the prospect must pay to get to the arena.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #314 on: April 27, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »

This is false.

A prospect can be given entry, along with two guests, to any school sporting event without limitation.  (They aren't given tickets...but admitted as guests.)

These are considered unofficial visits so the prospect must pay to get to the arena.

Hasn't this been a big source of abuse and the NCAA cracked down?  I thought they did.  What is to prevent a recruit from selling those two "guest spots" for money?  (the recruit still sits with them but nevertheless sold the seats to the highest bidder to make some money.)

And to be clear, Stone can get tickets for Free but Burton and Duane Wilson's family cannot (because you cannot give tickets to players).

And to be further clear, we can give them high value seats to premium games but not a ride or t-shirt?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #315 on: April 27, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »
Hasn't this been a big source of abuse and the NCAA cracked down?  I thought they did.  What is to prevent a recruit from selling those two "guest spots" for money?  (the recruit still sits with them but nevertheless sold the seats to the highest bidder to make some money.)

And to be clear, Stone can get tickets for Free but Burton and Duane Wilson's family cannot (because you cannot give tickets to players).

And to be further clear, we can give them high value seats to premium games but not a ride or t-shirt?

The players and family are admitted to games through a guest list.  They aren't given tickets so they have nothing to sell.

I have no idea if tickets can be given to the family of players..so it is possible that the family of recruits can gain admission for free but not the family of players.

And yes you are correct.  They can be given high value seats to premium games but not a ride or a t-shirt.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #316 on: April 27, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »
Hasn't this been a big source of abuse and the NCAA cracked down?  I thought they did.  What is to prevent a recruit from selling those two "guest spots" for money?  (the recruit still sits with them but nevertheless sold the seats to the highest bidder to make some money.)

They don't get tickets

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #317 on: April 27, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »

They are on a guest list, they don't have actual tickets.

This is true. That is what Calipari was complaining about. That he couldn't get his player's families free tickets to the Final Four. (Yet the families all seemed to be there...)

Yes. It is necessary for a recruit to see a game. It is not necessary that a player gets a ride or a t-shirt. This is also because all schools can afford to give up a seat, not all programs can afford to give out t-shirts and rides to every recruit.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #318 on: April 27, 2014, 11:24:49 AM »

The players and family are admitted to games through a guest list.  They aren't given tickets so they have nothing to sell.

I have no idea if tickets can be given to the family of players..so it is possible that the family of recruits can gain admission for free but not the family of players.

And yes you are correct.  They can be given high value seats to premium games but not a ride or a t-shirt.

Now to turn it full circle, 72 says Stone is just using MU for free tickets.  Or Stone was using MU because the last game he attended on these tickets was when Brent was still coach and no one knew Brent was leaving.  

72 thinks the odds were always 1/200 he was coming (even though Crystal Ball says 5 of 7 predicted to MU when he attended his last game).  The next game he can attend on these tickets is after the signing date in November when the season restarts.  He is excepted to make his decision before that so what is he stringing along?

I think this 1/200 odds his total BS.  It more like 40 to 60% he's attending MU.  It's a close call either way and it was never an unrealistic long shot like 72 alleges.  

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #319 on: April 27, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »

So I will call Diamond and offer him $1000 for the two seats to attend with him.  He will call the ticket office and say his "guest" is "uncle Heisenberg and his cousin."

That is how it can be abused (and sold).

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #320 on: April 27, 2014, 11:31:37 AM »
I would love it if Diamond chose MU.  Just like I would have loved it if guys like JP or Looney chose MU.  My personal opinion is that it is really hard for top 10 players not to go to a blue blood program.  The recruiting machine puts a ton of pressure on these guys.  Yes, recruits get tickets.  They are in about the 5th row behind the MU bench.  I was under the impression that they were free, but maybe they have to pay for them.  I'll ask JP.  

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #321 on: April 27, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »
If Diamond chooses MU great, but if not, I just hope he doesn't go to VaTech. That would be a nightmare scenario.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #322 on: April 27, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »
Now to turn it full circle, 72 says Stone is just using MU for free tickets.  Or Stone was using MU because the last game he attended on these tickets was when Brent was still coach and no one knew Brent was leaving. 

72 thinks the odds were always 1/200 he was coming (even though Crystal Ball says 5 of 7 predicted to MU when he attended his last game).  The next game he can attend on these tickets is after the signing date in November when the season restarts.  He is excepted to make his decision before that so what is he stringing along?

I think this 1/200 odds his total BS.  It more like 40 to 60% he's attending MU.  It's a close call either way and it was never an unrealistic long shot like 72 alleges. 

Whatever.

He was right that he is given free admission.  You were wrong that he pays for them.  That's the only point I was making.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #323 on: April 27, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »
I would love it if Diamond chose MU.  Just like I would have loved it if guys like JP or Looney chose MU.  My personal opinion is that it is really hard for top 10 players not to go to a blue blood program.  The recruiting machine puts a ton of pressure on these guys.  Yes, recruits get tickets.  They are in about the 5th row behind the MU bench.  I was under the impression that they were free, but maybe they have to pay for them.  I'll ask JP.  

True but that does make it 1/200 like you a say.

tokoto was not a top 10 recruit.  He was as highly ranked as jamil,  Burton and Duane (depending on the service)

Looney was top 10 but largely from day 1 acted like he wanted to go away for school.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #324 on: April 27, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

Whatever.

He was right that he is given free admission.  You were wrong that he pays for them.  That's the only point I was making.

His point is Stone has no intention of going to MU and is stringing us along solely to get the free tickets.

Translated, he alleges Stone is deceitful.