[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #1 Reason for MU's Struggles  (Read 6242 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
#1 Reason for MU's Struggles
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »
What do these players have in common?

McNeal
Matthews
Hayward
Butler
DJO
Crowder
Blue

Answer: They all improved significantly from one year to the next and had a major positive impact on the team.

This year's team has no one who I would put in that category. In other words, there's no one on this year's team who is significantly better than he was last season. Sure, minutes have gone up for several players which leads to some increased numbers, but there hasn't been a point in the season where I've looked at a player and said, "Wow. He's really improved his game." To me, THAT is the #1 reason why MU has fallen short in their toughest tests this season.

Don't you think the season would be going very differently if Juan was seeing 28 minutes/game and was a consistent outside threat? Or if Jamil was going for 16 and 8 a night? Or if Gardner had become a true go-to guy? Or if Mayo was making us forget than Van left?

It's not a matter of Derrick's limited offense or Jake's inconsistent shooting (though those things obviously haven't helped), it's a matter of the new star players not stepping up into their new starring roles.

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: #1 Reason for MU's Struggles
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »
Gee....every other year under Buzz players have been able to show improvement, but not this year?  What's the main position change the team has faced?  Point Guard and Shooting Guard.  Jamil, and Devante certainly haven't regressed from a talent perspective - but they are surrounded by Jake Thomas and Derrick Wilson - hardly Vander Blue and Junior Cadougan.

At least you have to chase Jake all over the floor and out to and beyond the 3 point line, so he serves a slight court spacing purpose - but that is absolutely negated by how teams defend Derrick.  Either Derrick needs to just step up and start shooting the wide open 3's he's being given, and knock them down at a 35-40% clip - or nothing is going to come easy for this team...if Buzz continues to ride Derrick as a 35 minute per game point guard.

It is totally a matter of Derrick's limited offense and Jake's inconsistent shooting.  When the engine of your team, the point guard is as limited as Derrick - it makes it that much more difficult for the rest of the guys on the team.  Period.  End of story.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
I think there is truth to this.
I remember seeing Blue last year when he first started shooting jumpers.  I though OH NO!
After they started falling I knew he improved.
I haven't seen that from anyone this year.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:53:03 AM »
Gee....every other year under Buzz players have been able to show improvement, but not this year?  What's the main position change the team has faced?  Point Guard and Shooting Guard.  Jamil, and Devante certainly haven't regressed from a talent perspective - but they are surrounded by Jake Thomas and Derrick Wilson - hardly Vander Blue and Junior Cadougan.

At least you have to chase Jake all over the floor and out to and beyond the 3 point line, so he serves a slight court spacing purpose - but that is absolutely negated by how teams defend Derrick.  Either Derrick needs to just step up and start shooting the wide open 3's he's being given, and knock them down at a 35-40% clip - or nothing is going to come easy for this team...if Buzz continues to ride Derrick as a 35 minute per game point guard.

It is totally a matter of Derrick's limited offense and Jake's inconsistent shooting.  When the engine of your team, the point guard is as limited as Derrick - it makes it that much more difficult for the rest of the guys on the team.  Period.  End of story.

Yep. Just like Dwight Burke held McNeal and Matthews back and kept them from improving as Seniors.

When teams didn't have to pay attention to the post, it allowed them to rotate freely and prevent Wes and Jerel from getting into the lane.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »
You could be right on the improvement factor, but looking at these players, notably McNeal, Mathews, DJO, Crowder and even Blue, I believe that they all saw pretty good minutes their first year in the system. I do not recall on Hayward and Butler. I believe that Butler was damn good his first year but was playing behind a couple of other studs.

So what I am saying is most of those saw significant time playing (without going back to check) even in their first year. Yes they improved, but how much did it also help them getting good minutes their first year? That is not happening with the current crop of newcomers, except possibly Burton. Buzz does not play frosh much except maybe Blue. And McNeal and Matthews were under Crean (I recall) and the cupboard was bare so they did receive more minutes.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
You could be right on the improvement factor, but looking at these players, notably McNeal, Mathews, DJO, Crowder and even Blue, I believe that they all saw pretty good minutes their first year in the system. I do not recall on Hayward and Butler. I believe that Butler was damn good his first year but was playing behind a couple of other studs.

So what I am saying is most of those saw significant time playing (without going back to check) even in their first year. Yes they improved, but how much did it also help them getting good minutes their first year? That is not happening with the current crop of newcomers, except possibly Burton. Buzz does not play frosh much except maybe Blue. And McNeal and Matthews were under Crean (I recall) and the cupboard was bare so they did receive more minutes.

Todd Mayo got more minutes as a freshman than Blue did.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »

Todd Mayo got more minutes as a freshman than Blue did.

Yet Todd Mayo can't get more minutes than Jake Thomas as a junior.....WTF Buzz?!!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »

- Cubillan and Acker didn't play much as juniors (until the James injury), but improved and were pretty good as seniors.

- Hayward missed a good chunk of frosh. year, but still improved a lot between junior and senior year.

- Jimmy was efficient, but didn't big minutes as a frosh. (similar to Steve Taylor). and he was able to improve from junior to senior year.

I'm not sure there is a correlation between playing a lot as a frosh. and your ability to improve between junior and senior year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »
Yet Todd Mayo can't get more minutes than Jake Thomas as a junior.....WTF Buzz?!!

I think what you need to say is "WTF Todd??!!!"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »

Ha! Well put.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 11:28:21 AM »

Yeah, here is your statsheet.com player comparison between Jake and Todd.  Yeah, WTF Todd, you are totally dominating Jake in every measurable category - get it together Todd!

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=jake-thomas&p1=todd-mayo

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »

Why don't you email Buzz and tell him that? I'm sure not playing Mayo more than Jake is just an oversight, something he simply hasn't thought of. Because he loves when people email or text him to tell him how to fix his team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 11:38:31 AM »
I think Derrick Wilson has made a significant improvement over last year. Otule is slightly better. Jamil is Jamil. Gardner has regressed, just look at his free throws. Anderson slightly better. Thomas has not improved and given the amount of playing time he has been receiving you would of expected him to improve as the season progressed. You cannot count on Mayo or Taylor. Overall, if you had this years returning players play against a team made up of them as they were playing last March, I would think last March's team would win. Add in the replacing of Blue, Cadougan and Lockett with JJJ, Burton and Dawson and you can see why we are struggling.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 11:42:20 AM »
The guys most likely to make "the jump" this year were Jamil Wilson and Davante Gardner.  Unfortunately, they are not getting the ball in good postion to do damage this year, so it is hard for them to make "the jump."  They are both dependent on guards to get them the ball in good spots.  Jamil NEVER gets the ball while cutting to the basket.  He is forever forced to catch the ball and then figure something out while being closely guarded with a packed in defense beyond his man, and he's not that kind of player (not too many people are actually).  Gardner is trying some things like getting the ball on the perimeter and driving, but that is not his ideal game.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:00:06 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 11:45:25 AM »
Yeah, here is your statsheet.com player comparison between Jake and Todd.  Yeah, WTF Todd, you are totally dominating Jake in every measurable category - get it together Todd!

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=jake-thomas&p1=todd-mayo

If only we lived in a world where the stats were all that mattered and the fact that Todd can't get his head on straight didn't matter at all.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »
If only we lived in a world where the stats were all that mattered and the fact that Todd can't get his head on straight didn't matter at all.

Well, I'd rather have a guy who basically produces at twice the rate of another dude, but has an occasional moment where his head isn't on straight on isolated occasions...

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 11:52:46 AM »
Jamil NEVER gets the ball while cutting to the basket.  He is forever forced to catch the ball and then figure something out while being closely guarded with a packed in defense beyond his man, and he's not that kind of player (not too many people are actually).  Gardner is trying some things like getting the ball on the perimeter and driving, but that is not his ideal game.

This is exactly where I think his "struggles" are stemming from this year, though its not the fault of the PG, its by design. He is being asked to be much more of a pure perimeter player this year. Forget Jimmy Butler or Jae Crowder, Jamil is being asked to play a role much more along the lines of Vander Blue or DJO. Not going to be nearly as much of a back to the basket guy as he has been in the past. Same is true on the defensive end.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 11:54:17 AM »
Well, I'd rather have a guy who basically produces at twice the rate of another dude, but has an occasional moment where his head isn't on straight on isolated occasions...

Right, because its extremely helpful to have him suspended for perhaps the touhest game on your schedule.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
I think Derrick Wilson has made a significant improvement over last year.

Teal?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 12:04:15 PM »

McNeal
Matthews
Hayward
Butler
DJO
Crowder
Blue

Answer:  They were leaders
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 12:09:49 PM »

McNeal
Matthews
Hayward
Butler
DJO
Crowder
Blue

Answer: They all have NBA caliber talent - either in or close to making theleague. This stuff is not that complicated.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
Teal?
No he has. He has made a signicificant improvement in the 9 games he played so far. Unfortunately, he is the only player that seems to be getting better.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »
Answer:  They were leaders

Ugggh! The "leaders" argument.

You know who fits the description of a "great leader" in the minds of many basketball fans? A guy who is really good at basketball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »
but has an occasional moment where his head isn't on straight on isolated occasions...

Because you know this of course...and because lots of players receive multiple suspensions, are told to go home, etc.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
Ugggh! The "leaders" argument.

You know who fits the description of a "great leader" in the minds of many basketball fans? A guy who is really good at basketball.

I'm not saying you were wrong... but we still need a guy who wants to take/make the shot, for 40 minutes per game, not just the last 3. That would be a combination of skill and leadership.  
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback