[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #1 Reason for MU's Struggles  (Read 6241 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: #1 Reason for MU's Struggles
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:47 PM »
I think Derrick Wilson has made a significant improvement over last year. Otule is slightly better. Jamil is Jamil. Gardner has regressed, just look at his free throws. Anderson slightly better. Thomas has not improved and given the amount of playing time he has been receiving you would of expected him to improve as the season progressed. You cannot count on Mayo or Taylor. Overall, if you had this years returning players play against a team made up of them as they were playing last March, I would think last March's team would win. Add in the replacing of Blue, Cadougan and Lockett with JJJ, Burton and Dawson and you can see why we are struggling.
You are crazy to think Gardner has regressed because of FT %. Because of our ineffective Guard play, and ineffective ability to get the ball to him that Jr. possessed, defenses are sagging on him inside more than last year. In addition, Gardner has played much more in the High Post--FT line and above this year than his entire previous career--where he is not quite as effective. If Gardner's FT% is the judge of his regression, then what about his improved minutes per game (24-21.5), improved scoring average (14.2-11.5), improved rebounding (6.6-4.8) and significant reduction in TO's?
Yeah that sure is regression. Give us a break.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »
I'm not saying you were wrong... but we still need a guy who wants to take/make the shot, for 40 minutes per game, not just the last 3. That would be a combination of skill and leadership.  

An obvious reference to Jamil Wilson. Unfortunately, also one using a fatally flawed premise, as 15 of his 20 FG attempts came in the first 35 minutes of the game.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 12:36:04 PM »
- Cubillan and Acker didn't play much as juniors (until the James injury), but improved and were pretty good as seniors.

- Hayward missed a good chunk of frosh. year, but still improved a lot between junior and senior year.

- Jimmy was efficient, but didn't big minutes as a frosh. (similar to Steve Taylor). and he was able to improve from junior to senior year.

I'm not sure there is a correlation between playing a lot as a frosh. and your ability to improve between junior and senior year.

Lazar missed a good portion of his freshman year, but still averaged over 16 mpg and 6 to 7 ppg. He also showed steady improvement each year--not just between is junior and senior years.  His biggest jump was frosh to soph.

Jimmy didn't play big minutes as a frosh becuase he wasn't on the team--he came as a JUCO transfer his sophomore year.  He also played nearly 20 mpg and was part of the core rotation--logging minutes in every game. His biggest jump also came in his second year.  

Cubillan played 21.5 mpg as a frosh and appeared in every game. His minutes declined the next two years due to injuries--not becuase he didn't show talent.

Acker averaged 32 mpg as a frosh (for Ball State)--his ability was never in question--only his size.  He came in to be the backup to Dominic James, and while much maligned he came in an performed as expected.

I think people have this romantic notion that most players are like Chris Crawford or Amal McCaskill starting out deep on the bench but getting better every year. Unfortunately, they are the execptions--most players who go on to be starters show that potential as frosh and get substantial minutes as part of their team's core rotation.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »
Well, I'd rather have a guy who basically produces at twice the rate of another dude, but has an occasional moment where his head isn't on straight on isolated occasions...

I thought I wanted this (and every) Marquette team to win more than most and as much as anyone. but wow. When Buzz met with Todd and his Mom to determine whether he had a future at Marquette one thing I guarantee that never came up was "minutes". Academics, responsibility, behavior, being a better teammate, growing up and being a man, yes, but not minutes. His Mom was 100% on board and Todd said he was too. He has a short leash because he's earned it. For Buzz to look the other way because Todd has more talent than Jake Thomas would be an insult to the team, Todd's Mom and Todd himself. It would also be an insult to who Buzz is. We have something special in Buzz, and part of that "special" is recognizing there are some things worth more than Ws. I'm with Chicos on this. Lots of coaches talk the talk, I'm glad Buzz walks the walk.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
Because you know this of course...and because lots of players receive multiple suspensions, are told to go home, etc.

Jae Crowder was sent home for a summer...FYI...

I'm not going to try to argue Todd hasn't caused a lot of drama through his own decisions, I'm just arguing it is ridiculous Jake Thomas has gotten more minutes than Todd....that is all.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »

I'm not going to try to argue Todd hasn't caused a lot of drama through his own decisions, I'm just arguing it is ridiculous Jake Thomas has gotten more minutes than Todd....that is all.

Before his academic and behavioral problems Todd was playing big minutes as a freshman while competing with VB for them. IIRC Buzz was our coach then. So if he's riding the pines behind Jake Thomas two years later be rest assured there's more to it than basketball ability. Mayo learns the lessons being taught, he earns more PT. If not, quitting or riding the pines are his options.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »

And Jae responded by coming back and becoming BE POY.  Todd responded by not going to class.  His ice has to be so thin he's really water skiing.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 01:24:04 PM »
Right, if only we had all our NBA players still on the team, this team would be pretty good.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 02:27:51 AM »
Right, if only we had all our NBA players still on the team, this team would be pretty good.

Switch out Dwight for Vander and you've got a good team
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback