collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scrabble  (Read 6081 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Scrabble
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »
You'll notice that you capitalized the word Jew....because it's a proper noun....which are not allowed in Scrabble.

Again, read the link.  The word was outlawed not because it was a proper noun.  It was in the game for decades, and removed in the 3rd edition due to protest.

There are a number of words that are proper nouns that are allowed in scrabble that have multiple uses.

cliff  (a proper noun and also a regular noun)
ben
baker
bob
chico   ;D
dale
tommy
timothy
ted
100's of others

etc, etc

Incidentally, Jesuit was allowed back in after it was taken out.   They were for it before they were against it and before they were for it again.

I just hope the newscasters stop using the word jew moving forward to describe people of the jewish religion, it is so upsetting. 

GGGG

• All American
Scrabble
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
What exactly are you arguing Chicos?  That "jew" cannot be used in an offensive way?  Or that Scrabble shouldn't have allowed these PCers to change their game so words like "jew" and "n*gger" are perfectly acceptable?

In either case, in a Scoop filled with Dumb Chicos Arguments, this is the Dumbest, Most Chicos-est Ever.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Scrabble
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »
What exactly are you arguing Chicos?  That "jew" cannot be used in an offensive way?  Or that Scrabble shouldn't have allowed these PCers to change their game so words like "jew" and "n*gger" are perfectly acceptable?

In either case, in a Scoop filled with Dumb Chicos Arguments, this is the Dumbest, Most Chicos-est Ever.

Can we get Hoopaloop to weigh in on this?

Coleman

• All American
Scrabble
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »

He already has

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Scrabble
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
There's a National Scrabble Association? Are they the ones spying on people?

Apparently so, even allegations of spying on the pope. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/nsa-vatican_n_4177882.html 

No wonder the word papist was removed by these guys.   Bastards!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Scrabble
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »
You guys are being real stingy and hook nosed about these Scrabble rules.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Scrabble
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »

Did you even follow the link you created?  Because the definition of "jew" that it brought up was the following...the first of which is a proper noun and therefore ineligible to be used in Scrabble, the second of which is "offensive."  So I think you just proved my point.

noun: Jew; plural noun: Jews
1. a member of the people and cultural community whose traditional religion is Judaism and who trace their origins through the ancient Hebrew people of Israel to Abraham.

verb offensive
1. bargain with someone in a miserly or petty way.

Yes, I did.  Some words have multiple meanings.  This is why the news refers to people of the Jewish faith as....Jews.  Non offensive.  A term that is used every day.

Secondly, as has now been said probably 5 times, in this particular case proper noun has NOTHING...NADA...ZERO to do with it.  The word was accepted for many years, only to be removed after one woman's protest.  The proper noun argument is wrong in this case.  That is NOT why it was removed.  I'm happy to provide the link AGAIN as to why it was removed....not because it was a proper noun.

I just hope Vander is keeping up on all this when he is in Israel, playing scrabble with some Jewish people.  It could get him in trouble.

warriorchick

• All American
Scrabble
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
Yes, I did.  Some words have multiple meanings.  This is why the news refers to people of the Jewish faith as....Jews.  Non offensive.  A term that is used every day.

Secondly, as has now been said probably 5 times, in this particular case proper noun has NOTHING...NADA...ZERO to do with it.  The word was accepted for many years, only to be removed after one woman's protest.  The proper noun argument is wrong in this case.  That is NOT why it was removed.  I'm happy to provide the link AGAIN as to why it was removed....not because it was a proper noun.

I just hope Vander is keeping up on all this when he is in Israel, playing scrabble with some Jewish people.  It could get him in trouble.

He would be a better Scrabble player if he had completed his education.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUCrew

• All American
Scrabble
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 12:41:02 PM »
What the hell happened in here?  What am I reading?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Scrabble
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »

Eldon

• All American
Scrabble
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »
Some folks are overly PC. Point well taken (is 'citizen' still allowed?). But i gotta say, Scrabble is a private company, if they wanna remove words, then so be it, their choice, their company.

If you dont like it, boycott the game.

copious1218

• All American
Scrabble
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »
Just throwing this out there.  Maybe Jew (proper) was never accepted.  And now jew (common) is not after the protest.

warriorchick

• All American
Scrabble
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »

Chicos, Are you aware that keefe has hacked your account?
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Scrabble
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »

Just so I'm sure you're clear on this. The proper noun Jew which refers to a race of people was never allowed, because proper nouns are by definition illegal in Scrabble. The word that was accepted was the offensive by definition small j jew, as in "to jew someone down".  It's like ni##er, as in "ni##er pile on Chico, a 50s common expression that has ceased to be part of civilized conversation. Probably not accepted in Scrabble either, which for some reason annoys or perplexes you.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Scrabble
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »
If you are looking for a way to use those Pesky "Z"s, I did just discover that the word "lez' is acceptable.
Have some patience, FFS.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »
If you are looking for a way to use those Pesky "Z"s, I did just discover that the word "lez' is acceptable.

:)
MU15

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »
If your patient is a mench and gets difficult, you quone him.

The patient could be a shiksa

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
what the unnatural carnal knowledge is this thread about?

IBTL

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »

Don't forget RBSC, BMA, Brad, etc....the whole gang.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »
Chicos, Are you aware that keefe has hacked your account?

Keefe and I are the same person......or so some think

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »

Keefe and I are the same person......or so some think

Really?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 08:09:10 PM »
He would be a better Scrabble player if he had completed his education.

Plus his jump shot would have improved

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 08:13:20 PM »
Just so I'm sure you're clear on this. The proper noun Jew which refers to a race of people was never allowed, because proper nouns are by definition illegal in Scrabble. The word that was accepted was the offensive by definition small j jew, as in "to jew someone down".  It's like ni##er, as in "ni##er pile on Chico, a 50s common expression that has ceased to be part of civilized conversation. Probably not accepted in Scrabble either, which for some reason annoys or perplexes you.

I've given you the links, multiple times.  It's amazing to me you keep putting out these questions.

The game was invented in 1948.  From 1948 until 1996, jew was allowed in the game.  Nothing to do with a proper noun.   The game of scrabble has NEVER allowed capitalized words.  A proper noun is capitalized.  So, again, you are wrong.

In 1996, they changed it...for some versions.  The UK version, still allows jew, the US\Canada version does not.  The tournament version worldwide allows it, the home version does not.

Why?  Because of Ms. Grad's 18 year campaign to have it removed succeeded.   

Just so you are clear....again.  Or just read the multiple links that clearly outline this for you.

Really, not hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 08:30:52 PM »
Don't eat a pulled pork sandwich with a beer while playin' Scrabble.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
Don't eat a pulled pork sandwich with a beer while playin' Scrabble.

Don't eat a pulled pork sandwich with a beer while playin' Scrabble and setting up a new athletic conference

Death on call

feedback