collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Can a GED qualify you for a scholarship  (Read 2548 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Can a GED qualify you for a scholarship
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:49:14 PM »
I believe he is not suspended from high school, just from the basketball team.  I would be surprised if a GED would qualify you to play college basketball. You have to take core courses and have a certain grade point. I am not sure, but I think GED courses are mostly pass fail.

I believe that GED courses are not a passable thing, they are prep courses to prepare someone to take the General Equivalency Exam.  If you pass that exam you get a General Equivalency Diploma (GED).  I have a feeling that being a GED recipient would require someone to go on to earn college credits (JUCO or 4 year) prior to becoming eligible to play Division I basketball.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »
I believe that GED courses are not a passable thing, they are prep courses to prepare someone to take the General Equivalency Exam.  If you pass that exam you get a General Equivalency Diploma (GED).  I have a feeling that being a GED recipient would require someone to go on to earn college credits (JUCO or 4 year) prior to becoming eligible to play Division I basketball.

My bad... I was under the impression that GED was a test, not an actual curriculum.  The CLC marquee I drive by every day says to take GED test by Jan 1 (evidently because something's changing), so I figured you could just go take the test without having to take any courses.

In any event, my suggestion was that - since he's not playing basketball this year already - he should take the GED test (which satisfies the graduation component of NCAA eligibility) and finish whatever remaining core-courses (for NCAA eligibility) he needs in Milwaukee during 2012-13.  That way he could at least practice with the guys on the team, use facilities, etc., even if he's not on this year's roster... it'd be a heck of a lot more basketball for him than if he was sitting on his duff in OP, and I'm sure the added supervision and work would prove that he deserves to be on the team next year.  Of course, he'd technically be a HS drop-out, I suppose, but college players drop out of college all the time to go to the NBA early... what's wrong with dropping out of HS to go to college early?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
My bad... I was under the impression that GED was a test, not an actual curriculum.  The CLC marquee I drive by every day says to take GED test by Jan 1 (evidently because something's changing), so I figured you could just go take the test without having to take any courses.

In any event, my suggestion was that - since he's not playing basketball this year already - he should take the GED test (which satisfies the graduation component of NCAA eligibility) and finish whatever remaining core-courses (for NCAA eligibility) he needs in Milwaukee during 2012-13.  That way he could at least practice with the guys on the team, use facilities, etc., even if he's not on this year's roster... it'd be a heck of a lot more basketball for him than if he was sitting on his duff in OP, and I'm sure the added supervision and work would prove that he deserves to be on the team next year.  Of course, he'd technically be a HS drop-out, I suppose, but college players drop out of college all the time to go to the NBA early... what's wrong with dropping out of HS to go to college early?

My bad... I was under the impression that GED was a test, not an actual curriculum.

You are correct.

what's wrong with dropping out of HS to go to college early?

It might work for the student athletes, but The NCAA would never allow it due to fear of bad publicity.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
My bad... I was under the impression that GED was a test, not an actual curriculum.

You are correct.

what's wrong with dropping out of HS to go to college early?

It might work for the student athletes, but The NCAA would never allow it due to fear of bad publicity.

I read something in a Michigan alumni pub how many incoming football players now graduate High School in December then enroll at Michigan in January. This allows them to participate in Spring practice, begin weight training in the Michigan system, and knock down 15-24 credits before they ever suit up in the Big House. Not sure how widespread this practice is within FBS but it seems Michigan encourages it for their signees.

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
1.  Basketball players graduating from HS in December makes no sense, as they would miss the balance of their season.
2.   It IS fairly common, though not universal, for incoming freshmen to arrive on campus and take a couple of summer classes so that they will not be burdened by 18 credit semesters during the season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 11:10:58 AM »

He'd lose a year of eligibility.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »
I read something in a Michigan alumni pub how many incoming football players now graduate High School in December then enroll at Michigan in January. This allows them to participate in Spring practice, begin weight training in the Michigan system, and knock down 15-24 credits before they ever suit up in the Big House. Not sure how widespread this practice is within FBS but it seems Michigan encourages it for their signees.

yes--this is quite common now among fbs -- nice for the student-athlete and the program to get the head start, though a shame in some ways as they miss that last semester with their high school mates.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »
I have been a lurker her for many years now, and this thread is not what i would expect from the MU community.  Maybe this is a bit harsh, but i cannot believe people will pass judgement on this kid without knowing any details at all other then baseless rumors.  And then to pass judgement on Buzz if he decides to accept this young man into our program.  This is without knowing what truly happened now or in the past, what his background is like, what his relationship is with Buzz, ect. 

This is a Jesuit school and i think Buzz is a great representative of this and if Buzz decided that he should be accepted into MU we should be supportive and appreciative to have a coach like him.  Because if Buzz decides to give him a second(third, fourth, tenth, ect) chance it will be for a good reason, a reason that none of us ever need to know specifically.  But to want to help a young man with talent and possibly turn his life around or point it in the right direction you will distrust Buzz?  Why, because of all the bad individuals that the program has turned out in his time?  Because we all know that if he ends his 4 years at MU he will leave a better man under Buzz, and if Buzz accepts him then he trusts him to make it those 4 years.  And i trust my coach.

And i certainly hope(and imagine) the last thing Buzz is concerned about in this kids future is the opinion of a bunch of message board users or even the general fan base.  hopefully he is caring about the kid and has discussed this with the administration which i imagine would also support for the right reasons.  Until we know more(which we may never know) i cannot imagine passing judgement.

Go MU!!!! 

The reason is because he is good at basketball.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »

Stephen Domingo did that for Georgetown...
http://www.thehoya.com/sports/men-s-basketball-domingo-skips-senior-year-joins-hoyas-for-2012-2013-1.2880746#.UlrSx2TwJTc

As did his predecessor Hollis Thompson...
http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010109aaa.html
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
1.  Basketball players graduating from HS in December makes no sense, as they would miss the balance of their season.
2.   It IS fairly common, though not universal, for incoming freshmen to arrive on campus and take a couple of summer classes so that they will not be burdened by 18 credit semesters during the season.

Obviously it works for football and not basketball. As Lloyd's Legs mentioned it is fairly widespread in major football programs. I am surprised it took this long to catch on. The benefits are pretty obvious, especially for the player.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »
yes--this is quite common now among fbs -- nice for the student-athlete and the program to get the head start, though a shame in some ways as they miss that last semester with their high school mates.

If my experience is representative that last semester of high school was long on fun and lean on scholastic endeavors...But you're right, some of the best HS parties and war stories were created in those last few months of senior year.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »
No problem, Buzz could adopt someone or O.J. could front the scratch.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
No problem, Buzz could adopt someone or O.J. could front the scratch.

Or they could use some of that Quarter Mil Tom and Joanie donated

Death on call

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »

You see it in girls volleyball sometimes, too.  I think kids give up an awful lot to do this including prom, commencement, etc.  And in volleyball, they also give up their final club season, which is really a bigger deal than HS volleyball.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 08:28:19 AM »
You see it in girls volleyball sometimes, too.  I think kids give up an awful lot to do this including prom, commencement, etc.  And in volleyball, they also give up their final club season, which is really a bigger deal than HS volleyball.

Also impacts when scholarships are counted for football.  A spring enrollee counts in the current academic year so coaches use it to balance classes since they are limited to 25 scholarships.  So if they get transfers in a year they will try to balance them out with spring enrollees.  Penn State did this pretty successfully the last 2 years.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »
I would think you would need good academic planning to be able to do that. Harris was expecting to be at the high school for the entire year and I doubt he would of even considered having his academic plan set up so he would be able to graduate in December.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
Can we please be done with this thread now?  Please?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 07:17:08 AM »

This must be common.  2 years ago the high school my wife teaches at produced the Conn. state Gatorade player of the year, a QB.  He was headed to UConn.  He finished HS in December and headed to UConn for spring semester.  He ended up breaking his hand in the spring and was redshirted his freshman season (last year). 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 09:07:55 AM »
Can we please be done with this thread now?  Please?

Agreed....and in before the lock!