Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malek Harris - Reason for suspension  (Read 42093 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Malek Harris - Reason for suspension
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »
Damn. I didn't get out of the dorm and into an apartment until junior year. If only I had known...

But how many times is needed to get kicked out of the UNIVERSITY?
SS Marquette

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »
I think it is safe to assume that Butler's home environment was worse than Harris's and I am not aware that Butler ever got into any real trouble. It is not a question of whether Harris gets another chance it is a question of whether he gets the chance at MU. Harris of course could become a very successful person, but he is not starting out well. He also could come to MU and flame out without embarrassing the University. That has to be balanced against the potential of Malek doing something that brings embarrassment to the University. I just think Buzz is better off bringing in some one that is less of a known risk. It would be interesting to see who on this site objected to the recruiting of Simeon Bowers. There were several posters that said MU should not recruit him because he was trouble in high school. I said people can change and if he stayed out of trouble in junior college I did not have a problem with Buzz recruiting him. That is the same feeling I have about Malek. MU can recruit him if he goes somewhere else first and demonstrates that he has change.

Why can't he demonstrate he has changed here?  Is a juco or Marquette in a better position to be that agent of change for Malek?  Again we are basing everything on no actual knowledge of anything other than he was suspended for a year.  If we are denying a young man an opportunity to better himself because we are concerned about public perception should he make another mistake(a mistake of which we don't know what it is and didn't happen while with us)....we should not be in the business of educating young people at all.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »
The point is why should MU take the risk? Because he can dribble, shoot, and pass a basketball better than most D1 recruits? BFD
Harris will have the opportunity, at some other schools,to play basketball on scholarship. Call me hard ass, old fart, or just plain principled, but I don't see the benefit of signing off on this kid for Buzz, Larry, or MU. At the very least here, Harris has demonstrated a disregard for following rules. Take a pass.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
The most likely of downside scenarios in taking a chance on someone who has already been given multiple chances is that if they f*c& up on your watch, there is going to be plenty of people who question the judgement in bringing that person to campus.  If he gets busted once for weed, drinking, academics (the meaningful, but relatively petty, stuff)... so what.  There will be some hemming and hawing about how so-and-so was a known risk, and the "I told you so" police will be out in full force for a few days (the ones wearing cardinal & white might linger around like a drum circle for few weeks), but most people without an agenda will simply be "meh."  Now if you have multiple incidents by that person's junior or senior year, it will start to reflect poorly on those who took the chance to begin with, and the media will drag MU through the mud a bit more, but at the end of the day, all will be forgiven & forgotten and perhaps the whiny I-told-you-so's might even end up acknowledging some credit due for giving an opportunity to someone who didn't have one.

However, if that same person commits a crime, causes injury, and/or does something to incur substantial civil liability - just once - that stain won't wash away so easily and the PR dept. better look at making some new hires... but that's not even the worst of it because even though the University will still be sued (just as it would if the kid had been a clean-nosed, straight-A student from Naperville), the difference here is that the words "known risk" will be drilled into every nook of each juror's brain by the time open statements conclude, and even if the previous f*c&-ups have no relation to the charges, juries aren't very sympathetic when the perception is that any red flag was ignored.

That said, the kid can choose to right his own ship anytime, and he could very well go four years without so much as stepping on an ant.  The question is whether the benefit outweighs the risk in this situation understanding, of course, that MU has a lot more to lose than your average program like Montana, and certainly can't afford the kind of hit that schools like UNLV can absorb.

Benny the whole problem I have with your statement is the second paragraph, you are introducing a scenario that would cause MU problems regardless of a previous pattern of non-criminal behavior.  Remember Malek has no criminal record that I'm aware of, additional focus on MU is going to be there if a crime of the nature you describe is committed regardless of the perpetrator's previous history.  Look at the story with the Lax Bro, when that first broke when we just knew it was a student athlete, parts of the interwebs to the west and texts to my phone were asking which MU basketball player it was and how bad was it going to be.  It's baked into reality for MU.  I would be concerned if there were criminal activities involved, but I just don't see anything to get worked up over yet until I know more.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »
Perfect. Exposing the "hypocrisy" of the hypocrisy crusader.

If I had said the kid didn't deserve a 2nd chance, you would be on to something....oh the irony.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »
Again...what if it was WRONG PLACE, WRONG TIME?  You bounce the kid for that????

Am I CERTAIN that if it were your kid in that position, and he lost his full ride for that, you would have a fit of Biblical proportions.

Buzz knows the true story.  WE NEVER WILL, in all likelihood.  So let's leave it to Buzz to assess this and decide what to do.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
Again...what if it was WRONG PLACE, WRONG TIME?  You bounce the kid for that????

Am I CERTAIN that if it were your kid in that position, and he lost his full ride for that, you would have a fit of Biblical proportions.

Buzz knows the true story.  WE NEVER WILL, in all likelihood.  So let's leave it to Buzz to assess this and decide what to do.

No need TO SHOUT TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS. People have different opinions, and while mu03eng, Benny, 4ever, bilsu, TAMU, and Chicos may all have varying opinions, AND ALWAYS WILL, I think we can discuss this in a civil manner. In fact, I'm CERTAIN that we can. Clearly it will be up to Buzz (which may not have been the case 2 months ago), but I don't think anyone in here is having any real fits.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Warrior Fan-at-ic

• Walk-On
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
I have been a lurker her for many years now, and this thread is not what i would expect from the MU community.  Maybe this is a bit harsh, but i cannot believe people will pass judgement on this kid without knowing any details at all other then baseless rumors.  And then to pass judgement on Buzz if he decides to accept this young man into our program.  This is without knowing what truly happened now or in the past, what his background is like, what his relationship is with Buzz, ect. 

This is a Jesuit school and i think Buzz is a great representative of this and if Buzz decided that he should be accepted into MU we should be supportive and appreciative to have a coach like him.  Because if Buzz decides to give him a second(third, fourth, tenth, ect) chance it will be for a good reason, a reason that none of us ever need to know specifically.  But to want to help a young man with talent and possibly turn his life around or point it in the right direction you will distrust Buzz?  Why, because of all the bad individuals that the program has turned out in his time?  Because we all know that if he ends his 4 years at MU he will leave a better man under Buzz, and if Buzz accepts him then he trusts him to make it those 4 years.  And i trust my coach.

And i certainly hope(and imagine) the last thing Buzz is concerned about in this kids future is the opinion of a bunch of message board users or even the general fan base.  hopefully he is caring about the kid and has discussed this with the administration which i imagine would also support for the right reasons.  Until we know more(which we may never know) i cannot imagine passing judgement.

Go MU!!!! 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2013, 11:56:27 AM »
I have been a lurker her for many years now, and this thread is not what i would expect from the MU community.  Maybe this is a bit harsh, but i cannot believe people will pass judgement on this kid without knowing any details at all other then baseless rumors.  And then to pass judgement on Buzz if he decides to accept this young man into our program.  This is without knowing what truly happened now or in the past, what his background is like, what his relationship is with Buzz, ect. 

This is a Jesuit school and i think Buzz is a great representative of this and if Buzz decided that he should be accepted into MU we should be supportive and appreciative to have a coach like him.  Because if Buzz decides to give him a second(third, fourth, tenth, ect) chance it will be for a good reason, a reason that none of us ever need to know specifically.  But to want to help a young man with talent and possibly turn his life around or point it in the right direction you will distrust Buzz?  Why, because of all the bad individuals that the program has turned out in his time?  Because we all know that if he ends his 4 years at MU he will leave a better man under Buzz, and if Buzz accepts him then he trusts him to make it those 4 years.  And i trust my coach.

And i certainly hope(and imagine) the last thing Buzz is concerned about in this kids future is the opinion of a bunch of message board users or even the general fan base.  hopefully he is caring about the kid and has discussed this with the administration which i imagine would also support for the right reasons.  Until we know more(which we may never know) i cannot imagine passing judgement.

Go MU!!!! 

Well stated.

Agree completely.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
I wasn't yelling.  Just having computer issue that wouldn't let me bold the text, so I substituted. 

Also, I didn't say anyone was having a fit.  I said that if your kid had gotten caught in a bad situation that he was unaware of and that wasn't his doing and lost his scholarship for it, it is a certainty that, as a parent, you, too, would have a fit.

I did want to emphasize those points but at no point did my post approach the level that could be considered uncivil, in my opinion.

No need TO SHOUT TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS. People have different opinions, and while mu03eng, Benny, 4ever, bilsu, TAMU, and Chicos may all have varying opinions, AND ALWAYS WILL, I think we can discuss this in a civil manner. In fact, I'm CERTAIN that we can. Clearly it will be up to Buzz (which may not have been the case 2 months ago), but I don't think anyone in here is having any real fits.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:06:27 PM by humanlung »

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »

Go MU!!!! 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »
Why can't he demonstrate he has changed here?  Is a juco or Marquette in a better position to be that agent of change for Malek?  Again we are basing everything on no actual knowledge of anything other than he was suspended for a year.  If we are denying a young man an opportunity to better himself because we are concerned about public perception should he make another mistake(a mistake of which we don't know what it is and didn't happen while with us)....we should not be in the business of educating young people at all.

mu03eng is all over this subject. Couldn't have written it better myself.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
I don't see Malek losing his scholarship. Roy Schmidt from Illinois bullseye has already stated that Harris will undoubetedly end up at Marquette.

brandx

« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2013, 12:19:55 PM »

Go MU!!!! 

Well written and welcome to the board.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »

Go MU!!!! 

Very, very well said.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
We can debate this all we want. What I know is that Buzz will never comment on it one way or another. We probably will not know if the kid is coming to MU until he signs here or somewhere else. If he goes somewhere else we will not know if that was Buzz's decision or if it was decided by some one above Buzz.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »

Go MU!!!! 

Completely agree with your thoughts...

...except the one where you say you have been a lurker here for a long time but are surprised by the sentiments shared in this thread.  Pretty much any thread on this board that is longer than 2 pages ends up in Toontown.  :D
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »
Benny the whole problem I have with your statement is the second paragraph, you are introducing a scenario that would cause MU problems regardless of a previous pattern of non-criminal behavior.  Remember Malek has no criminal record that I'm aware of, additional focus on MU is going to be there if a crime of the nature you describe is committed regardless of the perpetrator's previous history.  Look at the story with the Lax Bro, when that first broke when we just knew it was a student athlete, parts of the interwebs to the west and texts to my phone were asking which MU basketball player it was and how bad was it going to be.  It's baked into reality for MU.  I would be concerned if there were criminal activities involved, but I just don't see anything to get worked up over yet until I know more.

Well, at least you picked up on the drum circle allusion.  But I think you missed the point of what I was trying to say, because I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying at all.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »
Some of you should be ashamed of what you have written.

MH called Buzz directly to inform him what had happen, no middle man no IC, called Buzz straight up.

When it was being investigated he did not hide it, he was truthful at all times and he has taken full responsibility for this issue.  He has already received consequences for his actions that are appropriate...imagine what missing his senior year of HS Basketball means to a young man like this.

I for one hope that he will be a Warrior next year and that he has the ability to made stronger by the program that Buzz will put him through.  Imagine what his boot camp will be like next year???

Final comment to those who are all bent up about this..."lighten up Francis"

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »

MH called Buzz directly to inform him what had happen, no middle man no IC, called Buzz straight up.

When it was being investigated he did not hide it, he was truthful at all times and he has taken full responsibility for this issue.  He has already received consequences for his actions that are appropriate...imagine what missing his senior year of HS Basketball means to a young man like this.

I for one hope that he will be a Warrior next year and that he has the ability to made stronger by the program that Buzz will put him through.  Imagine what his boot camp will be like next year???

+1

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
If I had said the kid didn't deserve a 2nd chance, you would be on to something....oh the irony.

I thought your point was that he had already been suspended "over and over again".

tower912

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »
...and who would better know about being suspended 'again and again'?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »

This is the end of the thread.

Thanks for the info, BigDaddy :)

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »

Great to hear. Thanks.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »
...and who would better know about being suspended 'again and again'?

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback