[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Washington Redskins change their name  (Read 136113 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Washington Redskins change their name
« Reply #400 on: September 26, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »
Precisely. I agree with you.

However it does raise the question...if the one person who is capable of doing the right thing (Dan Snyder) refuses to do the right thing, should anything else be done by those who have the ability to do something?

I think the generic answer is yes. I just don't think this was the right solution.

The NFL should then do it.  Or the broadcasters can continue with not saying the name.  Maybe the pregame shows can stop using the graphic. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #401 on: September 26, 2014, 10:03:31 AM »

However it does raise the question...if the one person who is capable of doing the right thing (Dan Snyder) refuses to do the right thing, should anything else be done by those who have the ability to do something?

I think the generic answer is yes. I just don't think this was the right solution.

Educate, sure. Boycott? If you want. Call it out for the bigotry it represents? Absolutely.  Use the heavy hand of government? No freakin' way. A government with that kind of power is dangerous to everyone.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #402 on: September 26, 2014, 10:27:33 AM »

The NFL should then do it.  Or the broadcasters can continue with not saying the name.  Maybe the pregame shows can stop using the graphic. 

All good ideas

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #403 on: September 26, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »
Educate, sure. Boycott? If you want. Call it out for the bigotry it represents? Absolutely.  Use the heavy hand of government? No freakin' way. A government with that kind of power is dangerous to everyone.

Agreed

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #404 on: September 26, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
The Dan Snyder/Chicos crowd is dug in. Expecting a come to Jesus moment from them is probably folly but anything's possible, I suppose.

The resentment that is still felt over the "Warriors" nickname is justified. All the "education" in the world can't turn that word into a negative, let alone a racial slur. Not in the same ballpark with "Redskin".

It may not be with Snyder as the head, but the administration will eventually have a come to Jesus moment.

Warriors isn't in the same ballpark as Redskins, but Willie Wampum was even worse. We turned our team into a racial slur. Now I don't agree with how the name was changed or that it should have been changed. But there was plenty of education that could have been done. We should have switched to a Graeco-Roman type Warrior and obliterated any of the offensive native american imagery that was still being used. Would have been a great opportunity for education and an honest apology for our actions in the past. Instead we tried to sweep it under the rug like a child would do.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #405 on: September 26, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »
Warriors isn't in the same ballpark as Redskins, but Willie Wampum was even worse. We turned our team into a racial slur. Now I don't agree with how the name was changed or that it should have been changed. But there was plenty of education that could have been done. We should have switched to a Graeco-Roman type Warrior and obliterated any of the offensive native american imagery that was still being used. Would have been a great opportunity for education and an honest apology for our actions in the past. Instead we tried to sweep it under the rug like a child would do.

This is so right.

We could have kept Warriors if we were proactive and did, basically, what the Golden State Warriors did.

Instead, we tried to do what the Redskins are doing - telling Indians that they should be honored to be a team mascot.

Had we just gone away from the Indian imagery and embraced other warriors, we would still be the Warriors.

Water under the bridge now, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #406 on: September 26, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »
Not the route I would prefer this to be handled, but I understand the argument. If other racial slurs are banned by the FCC why not Redskin?

Ultimately I think this will fail, and part of me hope that is does. Forcing a change like this is a hollow victory. It doesn't foster any learning or education, it just breeds resentment...similar to the Marquette name change. True victory is the Redskins' administration taking ownership of the mistake they have made and apologizing for it. That's the only way the transition can be handled gracefully.

Are you telling me the Color Purple isn't allowed to be shown on tv?  Why is the n word allowed on network television?  Are you telling me lyrics in songs are rejected because of racial slurs?  While we are at it, should movies be banned that show the cavalry killing Indians?  How about Vietnam movies when they call the enemy something that doesn't please the ears...Platoon no longer going to be on network tv (I'm not talking cable tv, I'm talking NETWORK TV).

Please. 

There is no ownership of a mistake because mistake hasn't been made.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #407 on: September 26, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »

Thanks for quoting Sultan's comments.  I have to laugh when he says "most people" when in fact every poll shows that isn't the case.  Most people don't think it is wrong, he can pretend to make up numbers and feelings all he wants, but he isn't entitled to his own facts.

Will the name be ultimately changed?  Probably....but hopefully not until many more pants pissers have drenched themselves.  It's not a place for the gov't, it's a private business.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #408 on: September 26, 2014, 02:40:17 PM »
nm
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #409 on: September 26, 2014, 02:40:47 PM »
I give up. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbYs7QagnDc

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbYs7QagnDc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbYs7QagnDc</a>
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:03:36 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #410 on: September 26, 2014, 02:48:28 PM »
Keep trying, you'll get the video or picture in there eventually Aughanure.    ;)

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #411 on: September 26, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
Keep trying, you'll get the video or picture in there eventually Aughanure.    ;)

It's the worst :(

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #412 on: September 26, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
Thanks for quoting Sultan's comments.  I have to laugh when he says "most people" when in fact every poll shows that isn't the case.  Most people don't think it is wrong, he can pretend to make up numbers and feelings all he wants, but he isn't entitled to his own facts.

You are correct. 

I will say "An increasing number of people..."  instead of  "Most..."

Just like with all sorts of issues, eventually it will be "most" and those that stood in its way are going to look foolish in retrospect.  Racial equality...gender equality...gay marriage...

History will treat you and your ilk as standing up for a racial slur for a football team nickname.  Congratulations.  Wear it with pride.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #413 on: September 26, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »

Every poll conducted in Germany during the late 1930s showed that most people didn't find "kike" offensive.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #414 on: September 26, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »
Are you telling me the Color Purple isn't allowed to be shown on tv?  Why is the n word allowed on network television?  Are you telling me lyrics in songs are rejected because of racial slurs?  While we are at it, should movies be banned that show the cavalry killing Indians?  How about Vietnam movies when they call the enemy something that doesn't please the ears...Platoon no longer going to be on network tv (I'm not talking cable tv, I'm talking NETWORK TV).

Please. 

There is no ownership of a mistake because mistake hasn't been made.

?-(

Um what? Those things are already censored on network tv. You can't say the n word or disparaging terms for Vietnamese on network tv or the radio. And no, movies should still be shown showing Indians being slaughtered by white men because it goes towards owning out history and educating on why it was wrong
TAMU

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #415 on: September 26, 2014, 03:43:18 PM »
Why doesn't anybody moan about the atrocities committed by Genghis Khan, Mohammed or the Native Americans upon each other? Why is it only Northern Europeans who are to be condemned for conquering other lands?  Nobody decries the fact that slavery still exists in Africa and parts of the Middle East.  Just dump on the very people who created one of the few countries that (Most) persons would move to if they could and opened it up to ALL  Races and
Creeds. It ain't perfect but it's the best we got (Churchill)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #416 on: September 26, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »
Why doesn't anybody moan about the atrocities committed by Genghis Khan, Mohammed or the Native Americans upon each other? Why is it only Northern Europeans who are to be condemned for conquering other lands?  Nobody decries the fact that slavery still exists in Africa and parts of the Middle East.  Just dump on the very people who created one of the few countries that (Most) persons would move to if they could and opened it up to ALL  Races and

Uh...what?  What exactly does this have to do with the Redskins nickname?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #417 on: September 26, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »

After reading a biography on Genghis Khan I found a newfound respect.  He was far more intelligent than some robo-warrior.  And when he conquered areas he actually didn't do anything any different than any other culture did at that time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #418 on: September 26, 2014, 04:07:40 PM »

Are you really playing the poor white man/if others do it than it must be ok card?
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #419 on: September 26, 2014, 08:41:51 PM »
The Daily Show gang had fun with Redskins fans on Thursday night.

It seemed that many of these fans, who contended (of course) that "redksins" was a proud way to honor Indians, were not comfortable discussing the situation with actual Indians. And they certainly didn't want to be wearing their Redskins garb around the Indians.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/redskins-fans-featured-on-daily-show-tried-to-revoke-consent-before-segement-aired/2014/09/26/f2338b26-45ac-11e4-9a15-137aa0153527_story.html
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #420 on: September 26, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »
?-(

Um what? Those things are already censored on network tv. You can't say the n word or disparaging terms for Vietnamese on network tv or the radio. And no, movies should still be shown showing Indians being slaughtered by white men because it goes towards owning out history and educating on why it was wrong

Uhm, actually you can...on network tv.  Late hours, documentaries, etc.   There is an entire website that shows all the times it was used on network tv over the years.  Of course, on cable channels the ability to use certain words is much more pervasive, even basic cable.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Benny B

• All American
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #423 on: September 30, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
Glad my shareholder vote counted....along with the other 99.9% of us

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2014/09/30/99-9-of-fedex-shareholders-ok-with-redskins.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+industry_11+%28Industry+Sports%29

But why would the Oneida tribe have asked FedEx  to end the relationship if they think the nickname is a sign of pride?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #424 on: September 30, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »
But why would the Oneida tribe have asked FedEx to end the relationship if they think the nickname is a sign of pride?

Because there is always someone outraged about something.  Why would PETA ask us to stop eating meat?  Why would NOW be outraged the last few weeks but asleep at the wheel in the 1990's?  Why would the AMA support a certain person's healthcare plan, but majority of doctors don't (despite the AMA being the organization that represents doctors). 

All kinds of reasons.

Those that are upset, I suggest they use UPS only.

feedback