[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Washington Redskins change their name  (Read 136110 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Washington Redskins change their name
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »

Benny B

• All American
Re: Washington Redskins change their name
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:02:42 AM »
Ah yes... the old "the Diesel engine was named for its inventor, Rudolph Engine" punchline.  Never gets old.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »
Ahh, the Onion.  If there's one thing I really REALLY miss about Milwaukee, it's Toya Washington.  But in second, it's easily The Onion.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:33:05 PM »
Purely manufactured controversy.  I'm tired of the chronically outraged.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:03:58 PM »
Purely manufactured controversy.  I'm tired of the chronically outraged.

I'm tired of the intolerance. The NCAI rightly thinks that the Redskins mascot, and the Cleveland Indians mascot are both offensive.  I can't believe we are even having this conversation in 2013.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »
The version I heard is they changed it to the Maryland Redskins.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 04:22:44 PM »
Ahh, the Onion.  If there's one thing I really REALLY miss about Milwaukee, it's Toya Washington.  But in second, it's easily The Onion.

mmmm....Toya Washington. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »

I got to work with Toya a few times back when I was doing overnights at Channel 12, in those days when I was actually using my degree. What is amazing about Toya is that she's one of the very few women in the business I met that actually looks better in person than she does on camera.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
Hey!   Anyone on here quote the recent Rick Reilly piece in their support of the Skins name?   Hmmm... Who would have quoted and referenced his original column...

http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-american-indian-father-in-law-says-reilly-1443599450

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »
I'm tired of the intolerance. The NCAI rightly thinks that the Redskins mascot, and the Cleveland Indians mascot are both offensive.  I can't believe we are even having this conversation in 2013.

The NCAI speaks for all Native Americans   ::)

The NCAI opposed Seminoles as a nickname which I'm sure you know.  Guess what, the Seminole nation of Oklahoma and Florida were ok with it, endorsed it, etc.  Are Seminoles not Native Americans?  Are Seminoles not part of the NCAI.  Hmmm.  So the NCAI opposes it, but the actual tribal nation supports it.....hmmm.  How can this be?

Just like the AMA backed Obamacare, but polls of actual individual doctors do not...overwhelmingly.  The AMA only has 1/4 of doctors as members.  Doctors oppose the law at 60% to 70% depending on the poll, yet the AMA endorses it and you guys love to extrapolate that based on the organization view not the actual person view.  Hmmm, see the problem here?  It's done all the time and lemmings buy it, but not the smart ones that dig a little deeper.  Organization or membership does not speak for everyone.  

The NCAI is an organization, as well....how many Native Americans are in that organization?  

With your logic, you would say the AFL-CIO, NRA or Boy Scouts of America backs a certain position, but when their members actually vote and it comes out differently you don't understand why....after all, the organization was for it.  ::) The organization doesn't speak for all.  Often, it isn't even close.  

Good job Dan Snyder....the outraged are so spun up on this thing their heads are exploding.     I need to go talk to my wife, I hear N.O.W. speaks for all women.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:02:13 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 10:16:03 PM »
"Although Native American activists are virtually united in opposition to the use of Indian nicknames and mascots, the Native American population sees the issue far differently."

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »
I'm tired of the intolerance. The NCAI rightly thinks that the Redskins mascot, and the Cleveland Indians mascot are both offensive.  I can't believe we are even having this conversation in 2013.

you must be up in Wasau right now protesting school officials who ruled the high school chorus can only sing 1 Christmas carol per5 secular songs or wait until January to perform

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 11:04:20 PM »
you must be up in Wasau right now protesting school officials who ruled the high school chorus can only sing 1 Christmas carol per5 secular songs or wait until January to perform

Wasau is an Indian name.....we should change it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 07:08:20 AM »
The NCAI speaks for all Native Americans   ::)

The NCAI opposed Seminoles as a nickname which I'm sure you know.  Guess what, the Seminole nation of Oklahoma and Florida were ok with it, endorsed it, etc.  Are Seminoles not Native Americans?  Are Seminoles not part of the NCAI.  Hmmm.  So the NCAI opposes it, but the actual tribal nation supports it.....hmmm.  How can this be?

Just like the AMA backed Obamacare, but polls of actual individual doctors do not...overwhelmingly.  The AMA only has 1/4 of doctors as members.  Doctors oppose the law at 60% to 70% depending on the poll, yet the AMA endorses it and you guys love to extrapolate that based on the organization view not the actual person view.  Hmmm, see the problem here?  It's done all the time and lemmings buy it, but not the smart ones that dig a little deeper.  Organization or membership does not speak for everyone.  

The NCAI is an organization, as well....how many Native Americans are in that organization?  

With your logic, you would say the AFL-CIO, NRA or Boy Scouts of America backs a certain position, but when their members actually vote and it comes out differently you don't understand why....after all, the organization was for it.  ::) The organization doesn't speak for all.  Often, it isn't even close.  

Good job Dan Snyder....the outraged are so spun up on this thing their heads are exploding.     I need to go talk to my wife, I hear N.O.W. speaks for all women.

You're a real unnatural carnal knowledgeing twit.  You know that right?  They don't have to speak for all Native Americans.  They are offended by the name Redskins, just like most Native Americans.  Is your argument that 100% of a race of people have to be offended by a name for it to be offensive enough to be changed?

If you actually go on their website they fully explain that they are fine with the Seminoles, Utes, and Chippawas.  Coincidentally, those schools don't use offensive mascots, and their names were supported by the local tribes. 

Your analogies are pretty hilarious.  We aren't talking about a political point of view, or even financial.  This is about racism.  That you don't comprehend the difference is embarrassing.

By your logic, then, you have no problem with these mascots. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »
You're a real unnatural carnal knowledgeing twit.  You know that right?  They don't have to speak for all Native Americans.  They are offended by the name Redskins, just like most Native Americans.  Is your argument that 100% of a race of people have to be offended by a name for it to be offensive enough to be changed?

If you actually go on their website they fully explain that they are fine with the Seminoles, Utes, and Chippawas.  Coincidentally, those schools don't use offensive mascots, and their names were supported by the local tribes. 

Your analogies are pretty hilarious.  We aren't talking about a political point of view, or even financial.  This is about racism.  That you don't comprehend the difference is embarrassing.

By your logic, then, you have no problem with these mascots. 

Didn't you read his post? Chico and his Chink bros from his hood love those hats. Their gonna build a business around them. I don't give their idea a Chinaman's chance.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 07:50:33 AM »

Why is that?

I'm not offended by the mascots because they aren't racist towards my whiteness.  On the other hand, I can certainly sympathize with the Native Americans that these mascots offend.  But I guess that makes me a screaming liberal, or it means I have to be offended by everything.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 08:32:52 AM »
Hey!   Anyone on here quote the recent Rick Reilly piece in their support of the Skins name?   Hmmm... Who would have quoted and referenced his original column...

http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-american-indian-father-in-law-says-reilly-1443599450

Wonder why Deadspin didn't give Rick's viewpoint.  Rick said he quoted him accurately....strange that Deadspin would show both sides of the story....strange, weird.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rpkd7s

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »
Wonder why Deadspin didn't give Rick's viewpoint.  Rick said he quoted him accurately....strange that Deadspin would show both sides of the story....strange, weird.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rpkd7s

Strange....weird.  Chico's can't read.

http://deadspin.com/rick-reilly-feels-like-he-quoted-his-father-in-law-corr-1443683582

Very odd.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »
Hards, you are a screaming liberal, you have already admitted that.   :P

I find that people comfortable in their own skin and their own heritage don't get outraged by this stuff.  There will always be people outraged, some much more than others.  I find it hilarious that you used a membership organization to be the torch bearer when the actual members say differently in scientific poll after scientific poll.  Guess what, this same organization has been against various names (Braves, Indians, etc) for several decades, yet despite that the Native American people have not.  I guess this organization has a lot of sway.   :P  Sorry, just because YOU find the name problematic and this organization does, doesn't make it so.  Not sure why this is so hard for you to get into your head.  I'm sure it drives you batty, I'm sure it drives this organization batty.  "How can these people not be outraged and find this name a source of pride.  I know, I will double my outrage to cover for their lack of it".

Am I outraged over the hats?  No.  Just as I'm not outraged over someone wearing a White Trash hat.  Shouldn't I be?  Isn't the implication that whites are trash? 

As for Lenny....again, he's cute and inconsistent as usual.  He's fine with Braves, he's fine with Indians even, but Redskins is out.  But but but but, this organization that speaks for all Native Americans (don't you get it), is against Braves, against Indians, too.  Are they just right on the one name, but terribly ignorant and stupid and overreaching on the others?  How do you know Lenny, you're not a Native American...how do you not know that name Brave doesn't sting these people to the core? 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »
If you actually go on their website they fully explain that they are fine with the Seminoles, Utes, and Chippawas.  Coincidentally, those schools don't use offensive mascots

It's Chippewas.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »

As for Lenny....again, he's cute and inconsistent as usual.  He's fine with Braves, he's fine with Indians even, but Redskins is out.  But but but but, this organization that speaks for all Native Americans (don't you get it), is against Braves, against Indians, too.  Are they just right on the one name, but terribly ignorant and stupid and overreaching on the others?  How do you know Lenny, you're not a Native American...how do you not know that name Brave doesn't sting these people to the core?  

How is it inconsistent to consider characterizations that are at worst neutral (Brave, Indian) inoffensive  and ones that are by definition demeaning (redskin) to be offensive? I don't care what a poll says. I disagree with them frequently. Same goes for "organizations". I don't need their help to make a common sense determination either. Crazies on both sides (everything or nothing is offensive) demand an orthodoxy that defies logic. Plenty of solid middle ground between you intentionally Neanderthal and the constantly whining.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 09:40:40 AM »
Hards, you are a screaming liberal, you have already admitted that.   :P

I find that people comfortable in their own skin and their own heritage don't get outraged by this stuff.  There will always be people outraged, some much more than others.  I find it hilarious that you used a membership organization to be the torch bearer when the actual members say differently in scientific poll after scientific poll.  Guess what, this same organization has been against various names (Braves, Indians, etc) for several decades, yet despite that the Native American people have not.  I guess this organization has a lot of sway.   :P  Sorry, just because YOU find the name problematic and this organization does, doesn't make it so.  Not sure why this is so hard for you to get into your head.  I'm sure it drives you batty, I'm sure it drives this organization batty.  "How can these people not be outraged and find this name a source of pride.  I know, I will double my outrage to cover for their lack of it".

Am I outraged over the hats?  No.  Just as I'm not outraged over someone wearing a White Trash hat.  Shouldn't I be?  Isn't the implication that whites are trash?  

As for Lenny....again, he's cute and inconsistent as usual.  He's fine with Braves, he's fine with Indians even, but Redskins is out.  But but but but, this organization that speaks for all Native Americans (don't you get it), is against Braves, against Indians, too.  Are they just right on the one name, but terribly ignorant and stupid and overreaching on the others?  How do you know Lenny, you're not a Native American...how do you not know that name Brave doesn't sting these people to the core?  

Chicos, you truly are the master of the strawman argument.  Taking comments out of context is your specialty (though I guess I shouldn't be surprised).  You know who else is great at taking comments out of context?  My wife.  I've never said that I was a screaming liberal.  Do most of my views lean left?  Sure.  Do they all?  No.  Just like yours don't all lean to the conservative extreme.  Why do you lean on this crutch time after time?

I could not have been more clear when I said that I am not personally offended by the name the Redskins because it isn't directed at me.  Why can't you understand that?  I said that I can sympathize with the Native Americans that think it is racist.  Your point that the name should be allowed simply because of some poll (which you have, curiously, yet to point to) of Native Americans that think it isn't.  Simply because your phantom poll states that some don't care about the name Redskins, you think that it should be allowed?  Isn't it possible that quite a few black people aren't offended by the N-word?  Does that mean we should go around using that word as a mascot for a sports team because it doesn't offend everyone?  I really have a hard time following your logic here.  Probably because there isn't any.

If the Washington Redskins want to change their name to a tribe that exists around the DC area, that's fine.  I have no problem with them doing what most institutions have done around the country that previously used Native American imagery.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:45:34 AM by Hards_Alumni »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »

Strange....weird.  Chico's can't read.

http://deadspin.com/rick-reilly-feels-like-he-quoted-his-father-in-law-corr-1443683582

Very odd.

Not in the Deadspin story yesterday.  I can read just fine.  Good for Deadspin to address it.   It was funny watching some here decide that what Deadspin said yesterday was the end all be all without taking Reilly's perspective into account.  You know, the same guys that jump someone's junk for judging Malek Harris suspension too quickly and wanting to wait for the other side.  You can't make this stuff up sometimes, it is funny to watch.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
Not in the Deadspin story yesterday.

It was a separate story that was posted yesterday at 7:47 PM.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
How is it inconsistent to consider characterizations that are at worst neutral (Brave, Indian) inoffensive  and ones that are by definition demeaning (redskin) to be offensive? I don't care what a poll says. I disagree with them frequently. Same goes for "organizations". I don't need their help to make a common sense determination either. Crazies on both sides (everything or nothing is offensive) demand an orthodoxy that defies logic. Plenty of solid middle ground between you intentionally Neanderthal and the constantly whining.

Because on one side you and others are arguing this is for the Native American population to decide, and you are deciding what is derogatory.  Then you come out and say, "well, actually Indians and Braves isn't that bad"....but some Native Americans say it is.  One such distinguished membership that Hards has brought into the conversation...if they say it is, then do we only taken them for their beliefs on Redskins and not the whole shooting match?  Now you are saying you don't need their help to make a common sense determination....so you're saying they are stupid, dumb, or incapable of common sense?  You're ignoring their core beliefs that these names are wrong?

See the tangled web we weave?  You accuse me of trying to have it both ways, I can't think of a more pertinent poster child of an issue then you on this one.  The majority of Native American people have said Redskins doesn't matter.  You, disagree and SOME Native Americans agree with you.  The majority of Native American people have said Braves, Indians, etc doesn't bother them either.  You agree, despite SOME Native Americans saying it is not right.    LOL

feedback