[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Site Suggestions?  (Read 27987 times)

MUScoop

• Administrator
  • Walk-On
    • MUScoop - Marquette Basketball and Sports Supersite
Site Suggestions?
« on: October 23, 2006, 01:12:07 PM »
I thought I should start a thread for people to suggest what they'd like to see on this site

Some things that are already on the list
 - External news feed (RSS) display box. - Done!
 - Game previews (at top of forum) - Ready!
 - Live chat (for games) - Done!
 - User blogs (some hiccups on this one - sorry about the delay)
 - Cell phone alerts
 - Wiki for: (hiccups too - but coming soon!)
     - Basketball almanac / records
     - Marquette nickname history (Warriors tribute)

Some things we CANNOTdo
 - Create a threaded view (only topic view available).  This is a limitation of the forum software, and the way the back end database is organized (it's flat - hence 'linear' or 'topic' view).  However, as you've probably noticed, this forum software has a TON on features (and security) that you can't get elsewhere, so it really is worth getting used to the new look.  :)

Let me know of other ideas.  No promise we can take care of them all, but we'll certainly do our best.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:41:10 PM by MUScoop »

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Re: Site Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:24:48 PM »
The features are pretty sweet!![/glow]

It would be nice if we can get some sort of news feed on MU.  ESPN has a feature called ESPN Local that returns all the newspaper articles written on a team.  I think there is a site out there that does it so perhaps you can set up a link?  Anyway... just an idea. 

Also, perhaps a "friendly" forum for MU tickets. 

Great work on getting this site up and running.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 05:45:27 PM by LastWarrior »
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 09:15:57 AM »
the wiki is a great idea.......check out the wiki that the folks build over at SonsofSamHorn.com -- the Red Sox message board.  It could be a cool way to track scholarship status, player bios, coaching bios, info on opponents, etal. 

Here's a look at the SOSH site, http://www.sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 09:17:28 AM by NYWarrior »

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
I second the Wiki
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:10:39 AM »
The SOSH site is a great example of how we/you can make MU info accessible.

MUScoop

• Administrator
  • Walk-On
Wiki noted
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 02:09:01 PM »
I love the wiki idea - the trick is in the integration with the forum software.  After a brief search on the web, there are some people that have successfully integrated this forum with MediaWiki, so I know it's possible - but may not be well defined.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 09:53:06 AM »
Concering the wiki .. does the software really need to be integrated with the forum?  A wiki is pretty standalone .. not sure how your server is set up.

I see you have chat listed about .. definately need a chat function, for in-game chats. 

This forum software is pretty great, though.  Indeed, a threaded view would be great to have.  With all the functions it already has, it's surprising it doesn't have that.

.. Also .. it'd be great to have news feeds about MU.  I have a nice list of 5-7 RSS feeds that basically contain every bit of MU news out there.  It'd be great to have a box that displayed those feeds automagically.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 10:24:27 AM »
The site looks great.  Glad to see that you incorporated some of my ideas and the other suggestions sound fantastic. 

As a MU fanatic, I will always scour every available site and link that has anything to do with MU.  I have a feeling that this site will overall have the ability to satisfy most of my needs. 

Again if you need any help, just let me know and I will do my best to help out.

MUScoop

• Administrator
  • Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 10:57:38 AM »
The only reason I wanted to integrate the Wiki was to keep editing to registered users of the forum - and let them use the same account.  However, I guess if editing is open (i.e. - no registration), that problem goes away.

An incoming rss feed box is a great idea, and I think easy to do.  PM me the feeds and I'll try to add it tonight.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Invite Murf??
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 04:12:40 PM »
Don't everybody try to kill me at the same time but what about having Murf do a history of MU Basketball feature?  Look I know he can be a cranky old guy and he isn't always the most positive MU poster out there but he's got a great wealth of knowledge about our program.

Take a look at Murf dropping the knowledge on Scout...

http://mb33.scout.com/fmarquettefrm8.showMessage?topicID=13239.topic

Anyway, just a thought but can't say that I don't want to hear more!  He could be like the old guy at the corner spot in the bar telling us about the old days!!  ;D
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 04:27:55 PM »
Murf should be welcomed as anyone would be .. he's a mainstay of Marquette forum madness, even if controvercial.   The truth is, he's forgotten more basketball knowledge than most people have in their noodle right now.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »
A Murf Blog would actually be a good idea.  At the very least, he incites others to respond to his comments.  Without him, there would be a lot less posts about MU basketball.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Side Bars
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 04:35:35 PM »
I like the Yahoo news box.  Any plans for a Schedule Box?  How about Links?

MUScoop

• Administrator
  • Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 05:56:06 PM »
A Murf Blog
I like that.  I'll try to get in contact with him.

Any plans for a Schedule Box?
Yes, that's in the works too.  There's a calendar we can enable, but was waiting until I had time to populate it.

How about Links?
You Bet. But why would anyone ever want to leave ;D

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 06:57:24 AM »
I just want to be on record saying that I'm terribly offended by the site's logo.  Don't think that I don't know where that image came from!   ;)

Thanks for putting up the site.  I can't wait to see how it goes.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 08:13:49 AM »
Love the new site.  Looking forward to posting here instead of JS Online where everythread becomes an MU vs. UW vs. UWM debate.

MUScoop

• Administrator
  • Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 08:24:24 AM »
I just want to be on record saying that I'm terribly offended by the site's logo.  Don't think that I don't know where that image came from!   ;)

What?!?! Oh...that!  It's just an indescribable squiggle.  Kinda' like an ink blot test, you only see what you want  :P

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 08:55:20 AM »
Kinda' like an ink blot test, you only see what you want  :P

Heh, heh, heh.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 09:20:47 AM »
Word, now I just need to add another link to my firefox quick links. Yippie!
But I like to throw handfuls...

Big Papi

• All American
Re: Side Bars
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 09:46:35 AM »
I like the Yahoo news box.  Any plans for a Schedule Box?  How about Links?

I really like the Yahoo news box but it seems cluttered.

MUScoop

• Administrator
  • Walk-On
Re: Side Bars
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 10:51:43 AM »
I really like the Yahoo news box but it seems cluttered.

OK, I've fixed that with a Javascript RSS mangler.  The problem is that it now relies on an external site...so if we run into problems I may have to go back to "cluttered".

Eh...I ran into loading problems in the first minute.  So it's reverted.  I'll keep working on it though.  Another other option is to make the box as wide as the screen, so each headline fits on one line.  But then it has to be at the top of every page and forces more scrolling down.

However, I'm also going to add a separate RSS feed page, with lots more news sources, for some one stop shopping.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:56:12 AM by MUScoop »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 11:36:49 AM »
Any chance there's a parameter for "posts per page"?  Looks like it is set to 10, so for example this thread is 2 pages long, soon to be 3.

I think you should bump it to .. 25 at least.  Most find it annoying to need to navigate from page to page, but also, the overall load on the server goes down, since it's serving bigger pages, much less frequently.  And text (which is mostly what's on forum posts) compresses really well went sent.  It's the excess requests that kill the server.

(Many forums let you set that as a personal parameter .. this doesn't appear on this forum, so I'm hoping it's a global parameter.)

MUScoop

• Administrator
  • Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »
Any chance there's a parameter for "posts per page"?  Looks like it is set to 10, so for example this thread is 2 pages long, soon to be 3.

Yup, I thought there was a personal too, but couldn't find it.  I've changed it to 25 now.  But also, I enabled a "show all" if it goes beyond that (but only up to 40 - not sure what that means...guess we need a 41 reply post to find out) :)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 12:17:05 PM »
I'm not sure about the "time logged in" meter.  I don't know if I really want to keep track of how productive, er, unproductive I am.   ;D

Could all of the side boxes be moved to one side, and users can minimize or open the ones they want up.  I feel kinda boxed in in the middle.

Otherwise, I like the site, and am looking forward to the "independent" feeling being away from Rivals and Scout.  Should be a cool corner bar feeling.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 12:29:56 PM »
I'm not sure about the "time logged in" meter.  I don't know if I really want to keep track of how productive, er, unproductive I am.   ;D

Could all of the side boxes be moved to one side, and users can minimize or open the ones they want up.  I feel kinda boxed in in the middle.

Otherwise, I like the site, and am looking forward to the "independent" feeling being away from Rivals and Scout.  Should be a cool corner bar feeling.

Enough of this dual personality MUScoop/Rocky stuff.  I can't handle it!
(note, I login as MUScoop to do the major admin stuff, which is why I maintain both...anyhow...)

Don't worry, I'll probably always be on top of the logged in list.  Think of it as notoriety ;)

Boxes can be moved, but only under admin control right now.  I didn't want to make the left sidebar a mile long though. 

However, you CAN minimize them.  Up at the top next to the "Logout" button (assuming you're logged in) there are two minus signs.  Click them and PRESTO you've got a full screen display.  Also, all the boxes can be minimized individually with the minus signs on them.

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 12:41:11 AM »
Perhaps a preview of the next team that we play would be cool.  I'd be happy to offer my thoughts on as many as I can. 

feedback