[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malek Harris suspended for the season  (Read 59928 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Malek Harris suspended for the season
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »

Skipping class.  Unexcused absence.  Classroom behavior warranting a suspension of some sort.  Those all might be violations of the athletic code that aren't going to get him kicked out of school.

Ok, agreed ... but does this get you suspended for the entire season?  Six weeks before the season even begins?  My guess is this gets you suspended "indefinitely" meaning you have to stop this behavior for some period of time (say 30 days).

Now assuming it is one of these, and not weed, or setting some girl's hair on fire, who wants Buzz to pull his schollie over skipping too many classes?  

We've all seen the amount of supervision and counseling the players get at MU, this would be almost impossible to do as Buzz would be on it before the end of the first day.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:40:50 PM by Heisenberg »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2013, 09:39:40 PM »
I heard it was for shootin' spit wads at his English teacher when she was writing on the blackboard.

Seriously, a 17 year old screwed up.  Nothing to see here.  Move on folks.  This is why you over recruit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »
Ok, agreed ... but does this get you suspended for the entire season?  Six weeks before the season even begins?  My guess is this gets you suspended "indefinitely" meaning you have to stop this behavior for some period of time (say 30 days).

In reading the code of conduct, I think you are right that this would be a harsh penalty if it were just skipping a couple of classes.

It does look as though, since his last offense was a 11 game suspension, that simply attending a party where alcohol is present would have been enough to get him a season ban.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »
Harris' coach, Todd Allen, is a bucky alum.

Smoking gun?

Seriously

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »

In reading the code of conduct, I think you are right that this would be a harsh penalty if it were just skipping a couple of classes.

It does look as though, since his last offense was a 11 game suspension, that simply attending a party where alcohol is present would have been enough to get him a season ban.

I'll assume it was not a two person party and their were many Sandberg HS kids at the party and the school is reeling as multiple basketball, football, baseball, swimmers, chess club, marching band and glee club kids were all handed various suspensions along with Malek.  If that was the case, would the local paper have a story about that?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:53:32 PM by Heisenberg »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »

The code of conduct defines 'attending a party where alcohol is present' as a Class A offense.

edit:  I do see that if you commit a violation and don't admit it and are later shown to be guilty (lets say was at a party where alcohol was consumed and happened to be filmed there and denied being present).  Then you are guilty of a class C offense, which for him would be treated as another class B and would cause him to be suspended for the year.  This may be the most likely scenario, wrong place wrong time, embarrassed to be present and made the mistake of denying being there.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:14:24 PM by forgetful »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »
Multiple can mean, at the VERY LEAST, two. Or four, twelve, two hundred, etc. - it depends on the context. You qualified the suspensions twice in your post, saying that he had "multiple suspensions" (2 or more) and that he was suspended "over and over again" (more than 2). So unless you were contradictingk yourself, your use of multiple, in the context of your post, meant more than 2. Even a Chicago State student would understand. You, maybe not.

LOL.  Clintonesque....depends what is is.  Congratulations.  Keep it going, it is entertaining.  He's had multiple suspensions.  PERIOD.  FACT.  You can carve it up however you wish to convince your brain that having 2 or more suspensions IS NOT multiple suspensions (your words)....whatever makes you believe what you believe. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
I think we should wait 5 years years before passin' judgment.

Full judgment, but so far so bad

MU82

• All American
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »
It's obvious, isn't it?

Smokin' in the boys room
Smokin' in the boys room
Teacher don't you fill me up with your rule
Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2013, 10:35:52 PM »
Just guessin'.....Malik and his generation haven't heard too much Brownsville Station.

"i tried to make it Sunday, but I got so damned depressed, that I set my sights on Monday, and I got myself undressed.....but I keep on thinking about you..."

'Merica.

brandx

« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2013, 10:38:11 PM »

Three words: N. E. A.

Karl Marx is smiling.

Yeah - all union members are communists.

Go back to bragging about yourself in your posts - It's slightly less annoying than your anti-liberal remarks.

brandx

« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2013, 10:40:56 PM »
Just guessin'.....Malik and his generation haven't heard too much Brownsville Station.

"i tried to make it Sunday, but I got so damned depressed, that I set my sights on Monday, and I got myself undressed.....but I keep on thinking about you..."

'Merica.

Gotta be old school - Brownsville Station rather than Alice Cooper or Motley Crue

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »
"ready, more than I can feel, touching what I can feel, ....Caroline is feeling down...feeling in and out of love...."

Pure Prairie League...  Pretty sure that, along with Brownsville Station are not on this generation's iPod.

Speaking of Texas, went through Centerville this week and picked up a couple pounds of jerkey at Woody's.  Mmmmm....nummy.

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #188 on: October 06, 2013, 11:26:37 PM »

Three words: N. E. A.

Karl Marx is smiling.

Why don't you visit a school instead of lipping off about them? When I say visit, stay for a day and see the ins and outs. Maybe you could volunteer and be there for many days. See what walks through the doors. The educators have to work with EVERYONE that comes in those doors! They don't get to pick and choose like businesses pick and choose their product. Unfortunately, most students come from broken families, others go home to an empty house because the parents are working odd shifts. A ridiculous amount of drug and alcohol problems, sexual abuse, poverty, students with cognitive problems, learning disabilities, physical impairments, lack of discipline, and disrespect for the profession itself because people like you spout off and you really don't have any idea what they are talking about. By the way, all of those things have to be taken into consideration before teachers can begin teaching their full school day. All lesson plans must meet the needs of all the varied abilities in the classroom. They teach the full day, but then teachers need to find the time to prepare their new innovative lessons, incorporate technology into their teaching, teach the common core, correct and revise homework, purchase additional educational materials with money out of their own pockets, runoff papers that they will need for the next day, respond to parent emails and phone calls once their school day is over. This is a short list of what they really do, believe me, there is way more! The really interesting part is that almost every parent has a different expectation for their child. Many parents have attitudes (like yourself) that are not realistic or true. That forms a disrespect for the profession. One last thing. Teachers work very long hours. In the current teaching profession, teachers must update their educational license every five years. They must go back to school and get six credits to maintain their license. They pay for these credits, and guess when they do this......in the summer. Yeah, the UNPAID summer vacations! It's funny. Construction workers get unemployment benefits when they can't work during the winter, but when teachers can't work in the summer people, like yourself, think it is great to be unemployed for them. "YOU GET YOUR SUMMERS OFF." Would you like your summers off if you were unpaid? For most teachers (you can always find exceptions which I'm sure you would try) summers are spent on district initiatives, getting trained on new curriculum, nonviolent crisis intervention, technology training and much, much more. Most of this is done without getting paid anything!

The bottom line is, the issue isn't our schools, but the lack of parenting in the home. Fifty years ago, we didn't have such a high divorce rate. We didn't have parents coming to the defense of their kids when they got in trouble. Society looked up to our educators and therefore students had a great deal of respect. It's so easy to blame the public schools.Go ahead! Unfortunately, you and so many others that haven't spent time in our schools love to point fingers. I dare you to spend time in our schools and see what these teachers do on a day to day basis. If you would, you wouldn't slam their profession. Most are still what is right in our society.

By the way, who are the "union thugs"? The kindergarten teacher? The art teacher? The fifth grade teacher? Try to step out of yourself and worry about something that you actually understand.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:28:32 PM by hoops12 »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2013, 11:53:31 PM »
Union "thugs"? That's so long ago. There's little semblance to the rank-and-file "thugs" of yesteryear nowadays.
My biggest concern is the privatization of public education. It's not education FOR the people BY the people; it's education BY people FOR profit.

Anyhew...

In Buzz we trust. He's astute enough to know a kid's worth to his culture and program.

If he deems Malek worthy enough, then so be it. But I don't know how his eligibility is affected by the disciplinary measure meted out (to him).

SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »
The code of conduct defines 'attending a party where alcohol is present' as a Class A offense.

edit:  I do see that if you commit a violation and don't admit it and are later shown to be guilty (lets say was at a party where alcohol was consumed and happened to be filmed there and denied being present).  Then you are guilty of a class C offense, which for him would be treated as another class B and would cause him to be suspended for the year.  This may be the most likely scenario, wrong place wrong time, embarrassed to be present and made the mistake of denying being there.

Back to my what I asked before.  Is it safe to assume that many others were in the same boat as Malek and many were suspended for the same reason?  So Sandberg is current reeling from many kids getting in trouble?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2013, 12:57:02 AM »
I'm curious for you and TAMU, if it is pot again....would you have zero tolerance of a threepeat at MU?  Or would he get a 4 peat, 5 peat, etc?  I'm just curious when the second chances run out for folks.  By the way, I'm not against second chances, but I am definitely someone that believes 2nd chances are just that, 2nd chances.

Curious where you guys are on it?

Still reading through all the posts that got made since I last looked, but wanted to answer this one right away.

To be perfectly blunt (its funny because we are talking about weed), I don't care much about weed. I've never smoked it myself, but I find that it is a stupid thing to be spending so much energy fighting. But that is a completely different debate.

I am very big on treating student athletes as students. So however you would treat a non-athlete, is how you should treat Harris. Since he is only verbally committed, he is not bound by our student code. Once he is on campus, then any puffing should be handled by the conduct office and he should receive whatever sanction any other student would receive. Honestly, I don't know what that is. Like I said, have never smoked the stuff myself
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2013, 01:00:57 AM »
Maybe he went to a military school.
He will not lie, cheat or steal, or tolerate those who do.

Aggie honor code!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2013, 03:00:51 AM »
Yeah - all union members are communists.

Go back to bragging about yourself in your posts - It's slightly less annoying than your anti-liberal remarks.

Bragging? Hardly. Some people merely exist while others flourish. Some people demand excellence of themselves and others while others submit meekly. A life rich in experience and contribution obviously annoys you. I find that amusing if not ironic.

And, yes, the NEA has done significant harm to this Republic. I have no problem with unions. But the NEA agenda is so far removed from the central premise of organized labor that it is more political action committee than labor union. And that is a problem. The NEA has politicized education and has harmed society in ways that are disturbing, dangerous, and ominous.

Education in this country is completely f#cked up and we as a society are paying the price. We needed a world class coder/developer with control systems experience and every candidate we met with is from India or China. We hired an IIT grad away from Microsoft because IIT is turning out the best software people. His name is Sriram, not Steve. Walk around Bellevue or Redmond, WA and there are more Indians, Chinese, Japanese, and Germans than native born American citizens. By far. Walk around the UDub and Cal Berkeley Engineering Departments and the vast majority of grad students are foreign. Why is that? Where are the native born American students advancing the knowledge base in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, and Chemistry?  Guess what - they aren't there.

I ran into a friend today at Starbucks who is a senior person at Isis, a best of breed player in the NFC space. She commented that their single biggest business challenge these days is H-1B visas. If this country turned out properly trained technical people there would be zero need for H-1B visas. But we don't so we must import our skilled work force from overseas. Meanwhile, American kids are gearing up for poorly paying jobs in QSR. Thank you NEA.

My kids went to International Schools and through the IB program were doing Second Year University Maths, Chemistry, and Physics as high school juniors. Their American counterparts are at a huge disadvantage vis-à-vis those educated in other countries.

I have written here in the past about Matthew Arnold. I suggest you read Culture and Anarchy. Or any of the Transcendentalists. I strongly believe that Arnold, Tennyson, Thoreau, Ripley, or Emerson would be horrified by what passes for education in the contemporary United States.

I am neither liberal or conservative. I am pragmatic. This nation's educational system is failing us. If you need proof come visit Seattle or San Jose and see for yourself. American enterprise requires huge numbers of foreign trained skilled workers to maintain any semblance of innovation or competitive advantage. I don't need to go to an American high school to see how education is failing us. I need only to walk across the Microsoft campus to see how the rest of the world is running circles around us.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2013, 04:39:21 AM »
Why don't you visit a school instead of lipping off about them? When I say visit, stay for a day and see the ins and outs. Maybe you could volunteer and be there for many days. See what walks through the doors. The educators have to work with EVERYONE that comes in those doors! They don't get to pick and choose like businesses pick and choose their product. Unfortunately, most students come from broken families, others go home to an empty house because the parents are working odd shifts. A ridiculous amount of drug and alcohol problems, sexual abuse, poverty, students with cognitive problems, learning disabilities, physical impairments, lack of discipline, and disrespect for the profession itself because people like you spout off and you really don't have any idea what they are talking about. By the way, all of those things have to be taken into consideration before teachers can begin teaching their full school day. All lesson plans must meet the needs of all the varied abilities in the classroom. They teach the full day, but then teachers need to find the time to prepare their new innovative lessons, incorporate technology into their teaching, teach the common core, correct and revise homework, purchase additional educational materials with money out of their own pockets, runoff papers that they will need for the next day, respond to parent emails and phone calls once their school day is over. This is a short list of what they really do, believe me, there is way more! The really interesting part is that almost every parent has a different expectation for their child. Many parents have attitudes (like yourself) that are not realistic or true. That forms a disrespect for the profession. One last thing. Teachers work very long hours. In the current teaching profession, teachers must update their educational license every five years. They must go back to school and get six credits to maintain their license. They pay for these credits, and guess when they do this......in the summer. Yeah, the UNPAID summer vacations! It's funny. Construction workers get unemployment benefits when they can't work during the winter, but when teachers can't work in the summer people, like yourself, think it is great to be unemployed for them. "YOU GET YOUR SUMMERS OFF." Would you like your summers off if you were unpaid? For most teachers (you can always find exceptions which I'm sure you would try) summers are spent on district initiatives, getting trained on new curriculum, nonviolent crisis intervention, technology training and much, much more. Most of this is done without getting paid anything!

The bottom line is, the issue isn't our schools, but the lack of parenting in the home. Fifty years ago, we didn't have such a high divorce rate. We didn't have parents coming to the defense of their kids when they got in trouble. Society looked up to our educators and therefore students had a great deal of respect. It's so easy to blame the public schools.Go ahead! Unfortunately, you and so many others that haven't spent time in our schools love to point fingers. I dare you to spend time in our schools and see what these teachers do on a day to day basis. If you would, you wouldn't slam their profession. Most are still what is right in our society.

By the way, who are the "union thugs"? The kindergarten teacher? The art teacher? The fifth grade teacher? Try to step out of yourself and worry about something that you actually understand.

I said nothing about teachers. Or "Union Thugs." But I share some of your thoughts, especially on the role and responsibility of parents. My wife and I had demanding jobs that required significant time and lots of travel. And even though we had Amahs we always ensured one of us was available for school oversight as that was something that could not be delegated. We were actively engaged in their education and they flourished.  My son is a professional educator, teaching university in Italy. I see his passion for his profession, his students, and the art of teaching. He could likely earn more pursuing other interests but he is doing what he loves and I respect that and take great comfort in his choice of career.

But I disagree with your assessment of our schools. I see the results in the business world daily and, frankly, I find it extremely discouraging. The American educational system is not delivering the results this great nation deserves. I don't know where you live but in the high tech nodes there is a critical shortage of skilled talent. Increasingly, we import the talent needed to deliver next generation technology. Someday, as capital shifts off shore, you will find less coming out of Seattle, San Jose, and Rte 128 and more originating in Shanghai, Hyderabad, and Beijing. Perhaps our schools should start teaching Mandarin and Hindi as American prowess is eclipsed and the call center jobs boomerang back to the less talented Americans.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2013, 04:55:42 AM »
"ready, more than I can feel, touching what I can feel, ....Caroline is feeling down...feeling in and out of love...."

Pure Prairie League...  Pretty sure that, along with Brownsville Station are not on this generation's iPod.

Speaking of Texas, went through Centerville this week and picked up a couple pounds of jerkey at Woody's.  Mmmmm....nummy.

Pure Prairie League. Wow. Bustin' Out is a great album. Craig Lee Fuller's leaving the band was pretty much the end. They did bring in Vince Gill for Two Lane Highway but Fuller was the artistic soul.

Death on call

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2013, 07:02:29 AM »
http://youtu.be/RnH_kg_-o04?t=35s

I heard there's video of the whole hair burning thing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2013, 07:32:59 AM »
Bragging? Hardly. Some people merely exist while others flourish. Some people demand excellence of themselves and others while others submit meekly. A life rich in experience and contribution obviously annoys you. I find that amusing if not ironic.

I know many people who flourish, demand excellence of themselves, and live lives rich in experience.

They just don't find the need to constantly tell everyone about it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2013, 07:35:24 AM »
They must go back to school and get six credits to maintain their license. They pay for these credits, and guess when they do this......in the summer. Yeah, the UNPAID summer vacations! It's funny. Construction workers get unemployment benefits when they can't work during the winter, but when teachers can't work in the summer people, like yourself, think it is great to be unemployed for them. "YOU GET YOUR SUMMERS OFF." Would you like your summers off if you were unpaid?
Whether teachers are under or over paid is a different argument. However, I  believe it is incorrect to say they do not get paid for the summer months. They sign a contract for the year. When they sign that contract they can elect to be paid over the 9 months or over the year. However, if you elect to be paid over the year the school system will give you one big check in June instead of paying you every month in the summer. Sure it becomes a budgeting issue, but the reason in Wisconsin why you do not get unemployment is that they are paid upfront for the summer months, either by a big check in June or 9 higher checks during the school year. Some other states do it differently, so teachers can get unemployment, but in Wisconsin you are paid for 12 months. I assume being paid upfront was negotiated by unions at some point.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:39:19 AM by bilsu »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »
Whether teachers are under or over paid is a different argument. However, I  believe it is incorrect to say they do not get paid for the summer months. They sign a contract for the year. When they sign that contract they can elect to be paid over the 9 months or over the year. However, if you elect to be paid over the year the school system will give you one big check in June instead of paying you every month in the summer. Sure it becomes a budgeting issue, but the reason in Wisconsin why you do not get unemployment is that they are paid upfront for the summer months, either by a big check in June or 9 higher checks during the school year. Some other states do it differently, so teachers can get unemployment, but in Wisconsin you are paid for 12 months. I assume being paid upfront was negotiated by unions at some point.

My wife is a teacher and this is how they do it in Connecticut.  You pick 10 or 12 months.  If you pick 12 months the last check in June is called the "balloon check".