[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malek Harris suspended for the season  (Read 59896 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Malek Harris suspended for the season
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »
Roy Schmidt said it is a repeat offense...so unless he's got a burnt hair fetish...ZFB?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
There is only one fact known to the general public at this time. That is, a suspension has been placed on said high school basketball player. For a penalty of this magnitude, assume the infraction is significantly serious. Can and should the student athlete be given a chance to reclamate? Of course. But, that should be at different institution of higher learning than my alma mater. I don't really care if he's the second comin' of Jabbar, Jordan, Bird, and LeBron all rolled into one.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:41:39 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »
There is only one fact known to the general public at this time. That is, a suspension has been placed on said high school basketball player. For a penalty of this magnitude, assume the infraction is significantly serious. Can and should the student athlete be given a chance to reclamate? Of course. But, that should be at different institution of higher learning than my alma mater. I don't really care if he's the second comin' of Jabbar, Jordan, Bird, and LaBron all rolled into one.

Agreed.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2013, 10:55:11 PM »
There is only one fact known to the general public at this time. That is, a suspension has been placed on said high school basketball player. For a penalty of this magnitude, assume the infraction is significantly serious. Can and should the student athlete be given a chance to reclamate? Of course. But, that should be at different institution of higher learning than my alma mater. I don't really care if he's the second comin' of Jabbar, Jordan, Bird, and LeBron all rolled into one.
That is a big assumption-as you admit you don't know what it is--to call it significantly serious. You don't know what happened---but lets not wait for the facts lets get him away from your alma mater ASAP!
Maybe we should wait until we understand a little more.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:01:22 PM by We R Final Four »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2013, 11:19:03 PM »
That is a big assumption-as you admit you don't know what it is--to call it significantly serious. You don't know what happened---but lets not wait for the facts lets get him away from your alma mater ASAP!

Top 5 player in the state getting suspended for the season - its serious.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2013, 11:55:17 PM »
My buddy next door went to Sandburg his lil bro evidently parties with Harris and I was paraphrasing what he said (granted after a few beers but... Still awkward) But yeah that is what I was told and after five years reading this page I know it's no worse than most of the other "sources" we all post about.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2013, 12:18:57 AM »

How many players are suspended for the season each year?  Of those players, how many are considered the top 2 or 3 in the state?   I'd wager plenty serious, or it's a 3 strikes your out kind of thing where repetition of behavior is an issue.  However, you are correct, these are all assumptions, but seem to be be grounded in some common sense logic.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2013, 12:22:38 AM »
A lot of people rushing to make assumptions and judgements here. We know nothing, Buzz will figure out what is best for our program.

In Buzz We Trust
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2013, 12:43:21 AM »
Same article here: http://www.highschoolcubenews.com/news_article/show/296196?referrer_id=681975

I was scouring for any kind of additional information. One reporter from the Southtown Star (Pat @disabato) answered a "What happen(ed)" question this way: "three strikes and you're out."

Of course, there's not a lot of details there.

I hope Malek gets his head right soon, picks up the pieces, and flourishes somewhere else.
Young kid, lots of life in front of him. Whatever Buzz saw in him, I hope it - the goodness - begins to take hold.

Best of luck to Malek.
SS Marquette

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2013, 05:21:39 AM »
Let Buzz make the call. Garantuee you that nobody will know the official reason besides his coaches and his school. Thats just how HS basketball works. Coaches downplay everything and move on, so unless theres an offical police report (there wont cause hes 17) or you are related to the head coach of Sandberg stop making assumptions. Buzz will do what he needs to do.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2013, 06:46:10 AM »
Top 5 player in the state getting suspended for the season - its serious.

You would hope that wouldn't matter.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2013, 07:10:41 AM »
Let Buzz make the call. Garantuee you that nobody will know the official reason besides his coaches and his school. Thats just how HS basketball works. Coaches downplay everything and move on, so unless theres an offical police report (there wont cause hes 17) or you are related to the head coach of Sandberg stop making assumptions. Buzz will do what he needs to do.

Harris and his teammates will also know. If you think that a bunch of 15-17 year olds aren't going to trickle some information out, well, you may know how HS basketball works, but you don't know how HS kids work.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2013, 07:28:40 AM »

You're assuming it is bad ... And that is a reasonable assumption.  How do we know if it's some form of a zero tolerance rule? What I would consider a minor infraction blown out of proportion in today's hypersensitive society?  (I.e., he made a gun out of his fingers or a throat slash in the hall)? Would that be acceptable?

* What if he was caught cheating like Everett Golson at ND?  Is that "acceptable" for MU.  That was for ND.

* What if his grades were poor and he flunked a mid-term and the school took action?  That is a version of what Todd Mayo did and he is still on the team in good standing.  Is that acceptable?  

* What he he got into a fight like Vander at 1:30am?  Is that acceptable?

* What if he went into a bar and ordered a drink and was busted?  Half our team did that.  Is that acceptable?

The unwritten assumption here is he was busted (again) for drinking or weed.  If that was true, he would have been kicked out of school, not just thrown off the team.  He might have also been arrested.  No one is saying either if these happened.

Until we know what happened, it is irresponsible to say/demand Buzz not take him.  Yes, what he did might warrant that.  

Until then we have to trust Buzz.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:11:26 AM by AnotherMU84 »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
...and Larry.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »
Set a girls hair on fire and video taped some illegal stuff.  The scholarship might've been revoked. Supposedly his older brother had a football scholarship and got it revoked when he was maleks age so this is a family thing. 

I heard the same re the hair. Buzz will do the right thing for the program, whatever that may be. What a shame for the kid to jeapordize his career and future like that. There are enough red flags that I do not want him wearing a MU uni.
Kids are going to make mistakes, but this would seem like rolling the dice big time with the university's and program's reputations.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »
 If a kid gets suspended for his entire senior season, he doesn't belong at any program at Marquette's caliber.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
If a kid gets suspended for his entire senior season, he doesn't belong at any program at Marquette's caliber.

Todd Mayo was suspended for the season at the beginning of last year.  Then he managed to reduce it to one-semester.  Last I checked he is still a member of our team.

If Malek gets reinstated during winter break, is that ok?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »
Todd Mayo was at the beginning of last season.  Then he managed to reduce it to one-semester.  Last I checked he is still a member of our team.

Nope, and he won't. The two situations aren't even comparable

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2013, 09:20:49 AM »
Nope, and he won't. The two situations aren't even comparable

So you know what he did an why the school decided to do what they did.  Please enlighten.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
Todd Mayo was suspended for the season at the beginning of last year.  Then he managed to reduce it to one-semester.  Last I checked he is still a member of our team.

Actions that happen before a student enrolls are completely different from actions that happen after the student enrolls. After the student enrolls he is the school's responsibility. If a student messes up then it's up to the school to try to rehabilitate the student. But before they're enrolled it's not for the school to worry about and take on a kid's problems. Once a kid is a part of the family of the team you don't just turn your back on them, but before you're part of the family you have to earn the right to join the family.

Also I don't get why people always say trust the staff in these situations, don't condemn the player yet. It's a message board. The opinions here carry no weight and have no influence on what gets decided for Malek. Just let people express themselves and how they feel the situation should be handled. Buzz will make the decision everyone knows that and nothing said here is going to change that fact or the outcome.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »
I'm reserving judgement until it comes out what Malek actually did.

I had multiple suspensions in high school. Thankfully the Marquette message boards didn't know that before I got admitted to the University :p

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »

The unwritten assumption here is he was busted (again) for drinking or weed.  If that was true, he would have been kicked out of school, not just thrown off the team.  He might have also been arrested.  No one is saying either if these happened.

Until we know what happened, it is irresponsible to say/demand Buzz not take him.  Yes, what he did might warrant that.  

Until then we have to trust Buzz.

This.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
Also I don't get why people always say trust the staff in these situations, don't condemn the player yet. It's a message board. The opinions here carry no weight and have no influence on what gets decided for Malek. Just let people express themselves and how they feel the situation should be handled. Buzz will make the decision everyone knows that and nothing said here is going to change that fact or the outcome.

Because we don't know what he did, the history before that or what the school really decided (if anything at all).  All we have is a Sun-Times story that said "according to multiple sources" he has been suspended for the season.  So you know for sure he has no way to atone and reduce this suspension to a few games or a semester?  We are all assuming he is gone for the season with no chance of returning because an often inaccurate bankrupt newspaper said if had "multiple sources."

I believe the "Trust Buzz" crowd is saying tell me what happened and until then I will withhold judgement.  Do not mistake that for trying to rationalize away problems with Harris because he is a good basketball player.  No one has suggested that.

The "kick him out" crowd is basing this on no information and acting irrationally.  Sure that might be the proper course to take but based on what we know now, it is not obvious that is what should be done.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
Because we don't know what he did, the history before that or what the school really decided (if anything at all).  All we have is a Sun-Times story that said "according to multiple sources" he has been suspended for the season.  So you know for sure he has no way to atone and reduce this suspension to a few games or a semester?  We are all assuming he is gone for the season with no chance of returning because an often inaccurate bankrupt newspaper said if had "multiple sources."

I believe the "Trust Buzz" crowd is saying tell me what happened and until then I will withhold judgement.  Do not mistake that for trying to rationalize away problems with Harris because he is a good basketball player.  No one has suggested that.

The "kick him out" crowd is basing this on no information and acting irrationally.  Sure that might be the proper course to take but based on what we know now, it is not obvious that is what should be done.

Nail on the head. Some people on here sound like knee-jerk crotchety old men. Maybe wait until some facts come out to say things like "not at my alma mater."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »

Could it be that some people simply don't want a kid at their school that has been suspended multiple times, including for his entire senior season?  That is a known fact, that he has been suspended multiple times and for his entire season....correct?   I'm just guessing, but that may be what some of those from the "kick him out" crowd are referencing.  Or another way to put it, what the violations are don't matter, the fact he has suspended over and over again and doesn't get the message between the ear lobes is enough for that crowd to say, NO Thanks.

Isn't that an equally logical point of view and is based on facts?