collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Butler Love  (Read 10239 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Butler Love
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
After the Olympic gold medal hockey game against Canada, Milwaukee was like 4th in the Nielsen ratings, despite not having its own hockey team.

Anyway, I'm talkin to my buddy after the game and I say "the Blackhawks should play at least a few preseason games every year at the Bradley Center.  We don't have an NHL team and the Bhawks could expand their fanbase by at least 1.7 million more people."

His response was "maaaan, f*ck Chicago, Ill never root for them"

I don't get this at all.  I mean clearly theres the Pack-Bears (didnt the Bears actually work to keep the Packers in GB back in the day?), and even if the Brewers-Cubs/White Sox is/was a rivalry, I dont see how that precludes Milwaukeeans from rooting for the Blackhawks.  I know people from Indiana who root for the Cubs, but hate the Bulls. And Im sure there are plenty of Blazers fans who root for the Seahawks, Jazz fans who root for the Broncos, etc.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »
After the Olympic gold medal hockey game against Canada, Milwaukee was like 4th in the Nielsen ratings, despite not having its own hockey team.

Anyway, I'm talkin to my buddy after the game and I say "the Blackhawks should play at least a few preseason games every year at the Bradley Center.  We don't have an NHL team and the Bhawks could expand their fanbase by at least 1.7 million more people."

I don't get this at all.  I mean clearly theres the Pack-Bears (didnt the Bears actually work to keep the Packers in GB back in the day?), and even if the Brewers-Cubs/White Sox is/was a rivalry, I dont see how that precludes Milwaukeeans from rooting for the Blackhawks.  I know people from Indiana who root for the Cubs, but hate the Bulls. And Im sure there are plenty of Blazers fans who root for the Seahawks, Jazz fans who root for the Broncos, etc.

Are you a Badger football fan?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
Are you a Badger football fan?

More so when I was a kid.  As time has gone on, I'd say I've slid to becoming a very casual fan.  Mostly because my love of football died when Brett Favre got slammed into retirement.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »

Territory already claimed

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »
Right. They USED TO. When they were in the same division. That's my point. If Milwaukeeans had an inferiority complex they would hate all Chicago sports teams. Instead they hate all a Chicago sports teams...that are in their division. Like any diehard sports fan does.

And the Blackhawks hate?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2013, 12:11:43 AM »
And the Blackhawks hate?

Incredibly, incredibly overrated.  The few people that I know that actually care about hockey either adopted the Blackhawks as their favorite team or have a different favorite team for another reason (1 lived in Buffalo when he was young so his favorite team is the Sabres).  The LARGE majority of Milwaukeeans do not care 1 bit about hockey.  There is very, very little Blackhawk hate in Milwaukee.  In fact, aside from the day or 2 leading up to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals when the Blackhawks are in it through the Stanley Cup Parade when the Blackhawks win it, I would guess Milwaukee and Chicago are very similar in their attitudes towards hockey...nobody cares and nobody knows what's going on in the season.

And again, do Marquette fans hating Wisconsin football mean Marquette students and alums have an inferiority complex to Wisconsin?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2013, 12:37:38 AM »
And again, do Marquette fans hating Wisconsin football mean Marquette students and alums have an inferiority complex to Wisconsin?
Probably not. When I was a student - and I assume it's similar today - non-badger fans usually had their own college football team to follow or didn't care at all. Usually those teams were hometown related, family related, or just plain liked them.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »
Probably not. When I was a student - and I assume it's similar today - non-badger fans usually had their own college football team to follow or didn't care at all. Usually those teams were hometown related, family related, or just plain liked them.

Exactly. Which is the same case as the "Blackhawks hate" with Milwaukeeans. 95% of Milwaukeeans could not care less about hockey and have no idea what is happening in the NHL. If it weren't for all my bandwagon Chicago friends who are now the world's biggest Blackhawks fans because they're coming off of a Stanley a up Championship and won't attend a game unless it's Playoff time, I would have NO clue hockey had started. I would've guessed it would've started at least a month later. And I am MUCH more into sports as a whole than 99% of Milwaukeeans.

Of the 5% that do follow hockey at all, I would bet 4% of the 5% are Blackhawks fans, 0.75% of the 5% are fans of another team for 1 reason or another, and 0.25% hate the Blackhawks just to get a rise out of their Chicago friends.

Just because you have 1 friend who posts on FB how much he hates the Blackhawks or says "F*uck the Blackhawks" when discussing the NHL doesn't mean that families are breeding their children to hate the Blackhawks because there's an inferiority complex. The VAST majority of Milwaukeeans don't give a damn about the NHL. Chicagoans just think they know how Milwaukeeans feel and want to tell them they are better than them so Milwaukeeans have an inferiority complex and so they work up anything they can to "prove" it.

Way, way, way overrated. There really is no Blackhawks hate.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2013, 09:21:58 AM »
Easy if you're a Heat or Wade fan, knowing the Bulls will probably be their main contender.

Let's get this back on track...

The Bulls may be good, but they aren't contending for anything.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:32:53 AM by PTM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »
Let's get this back on track...

The Bulls may be good, but they aren't contending for anything.

Is Rose gonna play this year? Does he still have a leg? Are his muscles all evened out now? Will Kobe play before Rose does?

If Rose's muscle memory is back enough for him to play they might be the 2nd best team in the Eastern Conference. There has been a roll reversal with the Eastern Conference suddenly becoming the much better conference.

Heat, Bulls, Pacers, Nets, Knicks will all be good. Cavs and 76ers should be improved. Bucks might be a better team this year but finish lower in the standings because the East has improved.

In the West it's the Spurs and Thunder and then everyone else. I think those are the only 2 that would be in the top 5 in the Eastern Conference. Not a believer in the Clip or Rockets. Grizz are my 3rd favorite out of the West. Nuggets and Warriors should be Playoff teams.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2013, 10:02:18 AM »
You guys call people from Illinois "fibs".  Illinois people don't have a name for Wisconsinites.

Cheeseheads anyone?  ;D

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
Milwaukee and Chicago are very similar in their attitudes towards hockey...nobody cares and nobody knows what's going on in the season.

Comcast Chicago Sportsnet Ratings would show you are very very wrong about Chicago fans not knowing or caring about the regular season.

There are tons of Marquette fans with inferiority complexes. Especially when we lose recruits to Duke or North Carolina.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2013, 10:44:18 AM »
Comcast Chicago Sportsnet Ratings would show you are very very wrong about Chicago fans not knowing or caring about the regular season.

There are tons of Marquette fans with inferiority complexes. Especially when we lose recruits to Duke or North Carolina.

So inferiority complexes change from week to week?  OK.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2013, 10:57:31 AM »
Is Rose gonna play this year? Does he still have a leg? Are his muscles all evened out now? Will Kobe play before Rose does?

If Rose's muscle memory is back enough for him to play they might be the 2nd best team in the Eastern Conference. There has been a roll reversal with the Eastern Conference suddenly becoming the much better conference.

Heat, Bulls, Pacers, Nets, Knicks will all be good. Cavs and 76ers should be improved. Bucks might be a better team this year but finish lower in the standings because the East has improved.

In the West it's the Spurs and Thunder and then everyone else. I think those are the only 2 that would be in the top 5 in the Eastern Conference. Not a believer in the Clip or Rockets. Grizz are my 3rd favorite out of the West. Nuggets and Warriors should be Playoff teams.

He's going to play, Reggie and Adidas finally gave the green light. Heaven forbid you listen to multiple doctors.

They'll be contending for the 2nd best team, and they might even have the best record again. However, they will not beat a Heat team at full-strength in a 7-game series.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2013, 11:11:04 AM »
Cheeseheads anyone?  ;D

Except the Cheddars have embraced that one...as they have Butter Butt, Sconnie, Cow Tipper, the Good Land, Cow Pie, etc. and then they create multi-million dollar businesses selling all the crap.  Apparently, "fat, drunk and stupid" is a way to go through life.

Anyone want to buy a FIB shot glass?  No...but the Cow Pie candy is pretty damn good.  

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2013, 11:12:24 AM »
He's going to play, Reggie and Adidas finally gave the green light. Heaven forbid you listen to multiple doctors.

They'll be contending for the 2nd best team, and they might even have the best record again. However, they will not beat a Heat team at full-strength in a 7-game series.

Ehh.  He was cleared to play by doctors in the beginning of March.  The Bulls played through the middle of May.  He could've played the end of the regular season to "get his muscle memory back" and then be ready for the Heat in the 2nd round.  Kobe would've been out there.  I hate Kobe, but there's no doubt he would've played, even if he wasn't nearly 100% healthy.  But, he's old school and plays through that stuff.  Nowadays people are more worried about their paychecks and stats than they are the opportunity to play for a Championship.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »
Ehh.  He was cleared to play by doctors in the beginning of March.  The Bulls played through the middle of May.  He could've played the end of the regular season to "get his muscle memory back" and then be ready for the Heat in the 2nd round.  Kobe would've been out there.  I hate Kobe, but there's no doubt he would've played, even if he wasn't nearly 100% healthy.  But, he's old school and plays through that stuff.  Nowadays people are more worried about their paychecks and stats than they are the opportunity to play for a Championship.

Playing was part of his rehab plan, and he kept pushing it off.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »

The Pacers may even be too much for them to handle.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »
The Pacers may even be too much for them to handle.

Correct.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »
So, anyways, the love for JFB from Tibs, his teammates and the local and national (Grantland fell for him at the end of last season) sure has been enjoyable. Word is that he again has markedly upped his game.  Looking forward to another leap forward from JFB.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
I root for the following NBA teams (in no particular order)

Miami Wades
Chicago Butlers
Portland Matthewses
Dallas Crowders
Toronto Buycks-Novaks
Sacramento Locketts

Hopefully get to add:
Philadelphia Blues
New Orleans Haywards
Los Angeles Johnson-Odoms

Agree.  I'm also a fan of the Los Angeles Docs.  Hopefully all three potentials make it so there's an MU presence in 1/3 of the league (crazy!).