collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Butler Love  (Read 10271 times)

Donnybrook

• Walk-On
Re: Butler Love
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
No, this is something that is made up by people from Chicago.  Its actually really sad.  They think we have this complex but really it is called a sports rivalry. 

I won't cheer for the Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Sox, or Hawks.  Just like I won't cheer for the Vikings, T-Wolves, Twins or Wild.

It has nothing to do with the city, which I happen to love visiting.  For some reason Chicago sports fans can't understand this.  At least the Minnesota fans get it.

Exactly! As I tell people all the time, I think Chicago is a fantastic city, if it were not for the Bears and Cubs I would not have a bad thing to say about it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »
Nailed it.

Let me guess, you were the biggest Brewers fan there was in 2011 when your Cubs were awful and the Brewers were making the NLCS because Chicagoans don't have an inferiority complex with Milwaukee.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 12:28:56 PM »
Yeah New Yorkers have an inferiority complex when it comes to their "blind" hatred of Boston sports teams too.

:D

This mindset is exactly why FIBs are called FIBs.

What you're missing is that Boston sports fans hate NY teams just as much. Most Chicago sports fans are largely indifferent to the Brewers and Bucks. The Packers are really the only true rival to Chicago's sports teams yet, as Hards pointed out, Wisconsin sports fans hate the Blackhawks simply for being from Chicago.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
Let me guess, you were the biggest Brewers fan there was in 2011 when your Cubs were awful and the Brewers were making the NLCS because Chicagoans don't have an inferiority complex with Milwaukee.

Absolutely! Every true blue Cub fan was rooting for the Brewers in the NLCS...because they were playing the Cubs' biggest rival.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »
Both sides are trending toward Bucky like intensity here.

"Can we all get along?"

-Rodney King
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

john31

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »
No, this is something that is made up by people from Chicago.  Its actually really sad.  They think we have this complex but really it is called a sports rivalry. 

I won't cheer for the Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Sox, or Hawks.  Just like I won't cheer for the Vikings, T-Wolves, Twins or Wild.

It has nothing to do with the city, which I happen to love visiting.  For some reason Chicago sports fans can't understand this.  At least the Minnesota fans get it.

I think hatred of another sports team outs you as being a dork. Honestly, I could never understand those folks who get so wrapped up in a pro sports team that they take someone cheering  for another team as a personal affront. The Bears are my team but I like the Pack, this comes from the respect that I think is due them as a franchise. I would lying if I said I didn't love the fact that the Bears won every game against the Pack when I was in school. It drove my Packer fan friends nuts. I will go onto say that as a NBA hater the Bulls are becoming harder to hate.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »
And this is the reason Chicagoans cant stand Wisconsinites. You have this inferiority complex that you have a blind hatred for Chicago.

Actually its the assumption that you think we are inferior that usually leads us to hate Chicagoans. We love the city, just hate the way its residents go on about how it is god's gift to man
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
And this is the reason Chicagoans cant stand Wisconsinites. You have this inferiority complex that you have a blind hatred for Chicago.

Most Wisconsinites I know love Chicago.  And Chicagoans.  They just don't like their sports teams...you know...cause they are rivals.

Don't make sports more than it is.  It's just sports.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:49:59 PM by The Sultan of Syncopation »

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »
I root for the following NBA teams (in no particular order)

Miami Wades
Chicago Butlers
Portland Matthewses
Dallas Crowders
Toronto Buycks-Novaks
Sacramento Locketts

Hopefully get to add:
Philadelphia Blues
New Orleans Haywards
Los Angeles Johnson-Odoms

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »
God I'm sick of this fight.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »
I get it.  Sometimes it's just fun to hate, it makes sports more fun.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »

I know a lot of Cubs fans, and spend too much time on MLB Forums.  By a very wide margin, Cubs fans were rooting for the Brewers over the Cardinals in 2011.  

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »

I hate how they treated Wade (really wanted to sign him, didn't sign him, got butt hurt, then act super-critical of him).  I didn't like how they treated D. Rose this past year (shouldn't need an explanation).  Deng was almost dying last year and felt the need to defend himself because he was being attacked for not being tough.    

How they treated Wade???? Wade made some stupid remarks about the Bulls ownership. I believe he said that they are not loyal to their players. That is insane. Jerry Reinsdorf is incredibly loyal, to a fault. Wade's ego is why people from Chicago don't like Wade. He has been a great rival to the Bulls, but he has also been known to cheap shot, cry about calls, complain about our players (notable Kirk Heinrich who has been shutting him down for the last decade), and hit a game winning shot or two against the Los Bulls.(probably more, i dont have the numbers). Many of us respect his game, but not a lot of Bulls fans like the guy.

The Deng and Rose things were more national media. There are idiots in every sports town, and The Worldwide Leader loves to quote them.

Oh, and Nate Robinson is no longer on the Bulls.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:06:15 PM by BRMU23 »
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »

Sounds like someone with an inferiority complex.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 01:37:42 PM »
As a Packers, Bucks, and Brewers fan I'll just give my feelings about each rivalry.

The Packers-Bears rivalry is clearly the biggest and I do hope the Bears lose every game.

The Bulls have been better than the Bucks pretty much my whole life except for one season (2000-2001) so I don't hate them.  I agree that the Bulls are a likable team.  They play extremely hard and I can see similarities to the way Marquette plays.

As for the Brewers-Cubs rivalry, most years they are both very average.  I think it's hard for both fan bases to have any real hatred considering the Brewers have never won a World Series and the Cubs haven't won one since 1908.  I think both fan bases hate the Cardinals more than they care about each other.

I am admittedly a casual NHL fan, but I do cheer for the Blackhawks come playoff time.  They are the closest NHL team to me and I've been to a few playoff games and they are a lot of fun!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 01:43:23 PM »
Wasn't their a brewers sox rivalry back when the brewers were in the AL?
Maigh Eo for Sam

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »

J. Noah is one of the most annoying players in the league, Rose has no personality, Deng is fine, Nate Robinson seems like a punk (and he has beef with Steve Novak) . . . . and they play a lot of ugly low-scoring games (because of great D by a great coach).  

Why would someone not from Chicago like this team?

Because Noah plays like there's no tomorrow, because Rose is the most humble superstar in all of sports, because Deng is fine, because Nate is gone, because they actually play defense, and because the have JFB.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »
Wasn't their a brewers sox rivalry back when the brewers were in the AL?

It wasn't huge.  They were in different divisions and were never really good at the same time.  There were some blowups, like when Phil Garner and Terry Bevington were feuding, but that was the exception.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »
The Brewers fans are the worst baseball fans...not because of their intensity, lack of support, or obnoxiousness, but for their over propensity to only have to go to the bathroom during an inning.  Good lord, does the entire state have bladder infections? 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 02:04:26 PM »
The Brewers fans are the worst baseball fans...not because of their intensity, lack of support, or obnoxiousness, but for their over propensity to only have to go to the bathroom during an inning.  Good lord, does the entire state have bladder infections? 

They drink so much beer that they break the seal and we all know what happens once you break the seal
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2013, 02:10:59 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention about the White Sox.  After the Braves left for Atlanta, Milwaukee hosted a number of White Sox games every year to huge crowds.  And in fact Bud Selig almost bought the White Sox and moved them to Milwaukee, but the AL blocked the move.  He bought Seattle the next year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
If you won't cheer for certain team simply because of the state they're from, that seems to indicate that it's more than just a "sports rivalry."

For instance, why would you cheer against the Blackhawks and Wild when you have no "hometown" NHL rival to cheer for? Also, I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention to the heated Bucks-Twolves rivalry.

I'm a Red Wings fan, but would instantly drop them if a team moved to Wisconsin.

I think hatred of another sports team outs you as being a dork. Honestly, I could never understand those folks who get so wrapped up in a pro sports team that they take someone cheering  for another team as a personal affront. The Bears are my team but I like the Pack, this comes from the respect that I think is due them as a franchise. I would lying if I said I didn't love the fact that the Bears won every game against the Pack when I was in school. It drove my Packer fan friends nuts. I will go onto say that as a NBA hater the Bulls are becoming harder to hate.

Cool opinion.  You're saying that anyone that hates another sports team makes them a dork?  I don't take someone cheering for their team as a personal affront.  I'm saying that I won't cheer for the Bulls.  Why should I?  If there are no rivalries in sports they sure as hell become boring.  Better tell all those Tottenham Hotspur fans that they are dorks for hating the Gunners.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »

You realize in Chicago, no one considers the Brewers a rival.  All hate is directed down south to the Cardinals.

You guys call people from Illinois "fibs".  Illinois people don't have a name for Wisconsinites.

Aside from the Packers, Chicago people don't think twice about any Wisconsin teams.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:22:30 PM by TallTitan34 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »
Good lord, does the entire state have bladder infections? 

That's only been true since the Wisconsin boys started interbreeding with the Illinois girls.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »
Aside from the Packers, Chicago people don't think twice about any Wisconsin teams.

Teams generally have to be good and/or be a pain in your team's side for an extended period of time before any rivalry can form.  

The Bucks have been for so long, and the Brewers too new to the NL/not good enough for long enough to form a rivalry with the Cubs. If either were ever successful at the same time their Chicago counterpart was I think the rivalry would heat up...but right now how can the Bulls have a rivalry (or Bulls fans even notice) a team that has been as bad as the Bucks for so long?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback