collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Breaking Bad: Better Call Saul  (Read 47029 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Breaking Bad: Better Call Saul
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
The Seinfeld finale was like a greatest hits album.

You might not love it when it comes out, but when you are feeling nostalgic, it's there for you.

Well-described. It captures the memories of the show perfectly. For a sitcom, I think that's about the best you can hope for.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2013, 02:06:09 PM »
The Sopranos finale was nothing short of brilliant, if you actually read about it (someone had posted the link in this thread earlier) there was so much that went into it and the amount of metaphors and cleverness is insane. The ending also let the viewers to come up with their own conclusion and think for a change.

The Sopranos changed the tv industry and shows like The Wire, Game of Thrones, Dexter, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, etc. never would have existed if it weren't for the Sopranos.

While Breaking Bad is a very very good show, its not on the same level as many of the HBO shows. HBO shows are almost like movies, the way they are put together. They spend a much larger amount of money than standard cable shows and have the likes of Martin Scorsese, Mark Wahlberg and many other others producing their shows.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Breaking Bad, I love the show and think it is very good, but it is made for a much more mainstream / simple audience than many of the shows on HBO

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »
The Sopranos finale was nothing short of brilliant, if you actually read about it (someone had posted the link in this thread earlier) there was so much that went into it and the amount of metaphors and cleverness is insane. The ending also let the viewers to come up with their own conclusion and think for a change.

The Sopranos changed the tv industry and shows like The Wire, Game of Thrones, Dexter, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, etc. never would have existed if it weren't for the Sopranos.

While Breaking Bad is a very very good show, its not on the same level as many of the HBO shows. HBO shows are almost like movies, the way they are put together. They spend a much larger amount of money than standard cable shows and have the likes of Martin Scorsese, Mark Wahlberg and many other others producing their shows.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Breaking Bad, I love the show and think it is very good, but it is made for a much more mainstream / simple audience than many of the shows on HBO

+1000

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »

I love HBO dramas. Rome, Boardwalk Empire, Sopranos, Game of Thrones are all some of my favorite shows.

But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because IMHO Breaking Bad is the best show ever put on television. The writing, cinematography, and acting are all better than anything HBO has put up.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »
I'm with Brewcity on the Seinfeld finale, it is great.  Admittedly, the first time I watched it, I thought it was mediocre .. but as time went on, I changed my mind .. it was well done.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2013, 04:54:22 AM »

i ground through the entire Sopranos series about two years ago on the faith that I'd see what the big deal was. I agree it was the first of a genre of show.

I get that smarter people than I thought it was terrific.... Can you point me to some source to help me along why everyone thinks that?

Honestly I feel like the show makes more sense as a super dry comedy
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2013, 04:55:16 AM »
Man you hit the nail on the head.  Though I think Mad Men and Dexter are definitely past their prime.  Also heard that the Wire is in that upper echelon of great shows.

And 24 is definitely a great show, but sheesh how many times is the guy's daughter going to get kidnapped?  Comparing it to breaking bad is, well, not even close to say the least.
The Wire is the greatest show ever. Full stop.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/anthony-hopkins-bryan-cranston-breaking-bad-role-best-210947932.html

Anthony Hopkins binge-watched breaking bad. Loved it. And wrote cranston an email said that cranstons acting was the best hes ever seen. Ever.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2013, 03:08:25 PM »
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/anthony-hopkins-bryan-cranston-breaking-bad-role-best-210947932.html

Anthony Hopkins binge-watched breaking bad. Loved it. And wrote cranston an email said that cranstons acting was the best hes ever seen. Ever.

I'm sure Cranston read Hopkins' email while enjoying liver, fava beans and a nice chianti.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2013, 12:47:14 AM »
What are the Breaking Bad actors up to nowadays

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/what-s-the--breaking-bad--cast-doing-now--024358131.html

Along with the others, it's nice to see Meth Damon is getting some work

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »
As big a fan as anyone but I'm not that high on this spinoff.

It's a prequel, about how Saul became Saul before he met Walter White.  And it's supposed to be a comedy.

Frankly this doesn't sound that interesting and maybe explains why AMC dragged their feet so long in picking it up. (AMC was pitched on this idea months go but only agreed to it last week, and only after another network was ready to agree.)

I'll watch it but I'm not holding my breath.

What's your verdict?

I have watched the first two seasons of Better Call Saul on Netflix and I have to say that I love the show.  Nay.  LOVE the show.  It is absolutely great.  It just goes to show that a big part of what made Breaking Bad so great is the writing, cinematography, the acting, etc., and not necessarily the Heisenberg story line per se.

The show is funny, but only at times and as a result of the character's personality.  The show is definitely a drama.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
What's your verdict?

I have watched the first two seasons of Better Call Saul on Netflix and I have to say that I love the show.  Nay.  LOVE the show.  It is absolutely great.  It just goes to show that a big part of what made Breaking Bad so great is the writing, cinematography, the acting, etc., and not necessarily the Heisenberg story line per se.

The show is funny, but only at times and as a result of the character's personality.  The show is definitely a drama.

Apparently Saul is better at predictions than Heisy/Jigawatts.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:49:08 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
What's your verdict?

I agree with you, it is a tremendous show, on the par with Breaking Bad.

Note my 2013 comment included this, which was under consideration at the time.

And it's supposed to be a comedy.

That was my hesitation about the show.  Wise decision not to go the comedy route.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2017, 04:09:45 PM »

That was my hesitation about the show.  Wise decision not to go the comedy route.

They absolutely were talking about it.  Very glad they went the direction they did.  There's still a comedic element to Jimmy's character that in fact makes him quite lovable, much to Chuck's chagrin.

LOVED last week's episode.  Without giving away too much to the guys that might later binge, the simultaneous 'cartel' and 'McGill' strategic battles portend some fabulous twists and turns going forward.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 04:13:30 PM by jsglow »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »
One other recommendation for you guys.  Just like BB, I think it important to start from the beginning and watch in order.  Perhaps not quite as critical but it'll certainly enhance your viewing experience.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2017, 04:37:19 PM »

Don't you mean your Heisytation?

Da-doom tsssshhhh.

Agreed.  The comedy route may have been okay, but the route that they actually chose is great.  Hard to see how it could have been better.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2017, 04:38:23 PM »
     pardon me if this was already mentioned, but i wasn't going to re-read this whole thread-bob odenkirk, who played "saul" went to naperville north high school, MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY before transferring to southern illinois/carbondale.  worked along side of chris farley at improv olympic(wikipedia)

fricken biography.com makes no mention of him being enrolled at MU and has him going straight from high school to southern illinois...b@sturd$
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2017, 06:53:45 PM »
     pardon me if this was already mentioned, but i wasn't going to re-read this whole thread-bob odenkirk, who played "saul" went to naperville north high school, MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY before transferring to southern illinois/carbondale.  worked along side of chris farley at improv olympic(wikipedia)

fricken biography.com makes no mention of him being enrolled at MU and has him going straight from high school to southern illinois...b@sturd$

It was already mentioned in the "Famous Marquette Alum" thread.  I posted it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »

Rolling Stone listed the 50 greatest SNL skits of all time

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/pictures/50-greatest-saturday-night-live-sketches-of-all-time-20140203/matt-foley-motivational-speaker-0010123

1. Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker

Original Airdate: May 8th, 1993
"It paints a picture; the phrase has a lot more meaning to it than just a catchphrase that stands alone," sketch writer Bob Odenkirk told the Chicago Reader about Matt Foley, the motivational speaker who's "35 years old, thrice divorced, and living in a van down by the river." "[T]here is a lot more to it when Chris did it, and he made that character whole. It's not a gimmick. You felt like there was a real person in that character."

Beyond Odenkirk's vivid storyline and Farley's honest portrayal, Foley was the single best use of the manic energy stored inside SNL's greatest physical comedian since John Belushi; a bundle of twitches, tics, throat-busting yells, and extreme pratfalls that made Chevy Chase look like Baryshnikov. Foley was invented by the pair in their days at Chicago's Second City, but quickly became a national legend since the folks on stage were laughing almost as hard as the audience. "Lorne didn't like us cracking up on air," said Norm MacDonald in The Chris Farley Show. "But it was always Chris's goal when it was live on air to make you laugh, to take you out of character, and he always succeeded. You could never not laugh."

The main victim in this sketch was David Spade: "In rehearsal, he's done the thing with his glasses… But he'd never done the twisting his belt and hitching up the pants thing," said Spade. "He saved that for the live performance, and so none of us had ever seen it. He knew that would break me."

--------------------

Harvard may have produced eight American Presidents but MU produced both the writer and actor in the greatest SNL skit of all-time!

Call it a draw.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:01:35 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »
applegate was laughing so hard tears were coming from her eyes
don't...don't don't don't don't

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2017, 10:40:10 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sh5arV2cut0&amp;t=7s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Sh5arV2cut0&amp;t=7s</a>

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
Excellent show. Vince Gilligan is a stud.

I'm about due to rewatch Breaking Bad for the first time as well.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #172 on: May 04, 2017, 07:26:37 PM »
Excellent show. Vince Gilligan is a stud.

I'm about due to rewatch Breaking Bad for the first time as well.
I didn't read the whole thread (shocked that it was revised after 4 years and a new thread wasn't started) but I REALLY hope at some point you, given your avatar, have credited David Cross with some of Bob O's talent. 

We tried rewatched BB a couple of years ago and the first couple of seasons were tough for us to get through so we stopped - I blame it on not allowing enough time between the finale and rewatching, too much foreknowledge.  I took the time before BCS to introduce my wife to Mr. Show.  She couldn't handle it but i recommend going back to it if you want to see the genesis of both Tobias and Jimmy.

also, let's get that Skinny Pete and Badger series going!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #173 on: May 04, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »

also, let's get that Skinny Pete and Badger series going!

I'm in!!  It could be an entire show of them telling stories like this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mW5skmJyU6k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mW5skmJyU6k</a>
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #174 on: May 08, 2017, 11:25:05 PM »
I won't spoil it but tonight's episode was why this is so great.  I'll just say if you explained it to someone that did not watch, they would think it's boring and not worth their time.  But it is the writing and acting that make it so good.  It's as good as Breaking Bad.

Also pay close attention to the last two words of the highlights of next weeks show at the end (Kim said them).  Been waiting three and a half years for those words to be said.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:03:39 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »