collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Breaking Bad: Better Call Saul  (Read 46718 times)

Eldon

• All American
Breaking Bad: Better Call Saul
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
Guys, arguably the greatest show of all time or easily the greatest show of all time?

Anyway, Saul is getting his own spin-off.  They're calling it 'Better Call Saul'.  Awesome.  He's right up there with Jack Donoghee (sp?) of 30 Rock as my favorite tv character of all time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/09/11/breaking-bad-spinoff-saul-goodman/2801281/

🏀

• All American
Re: Breaking Bad: Better Call Saul
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »
I would have preferred a Badger and Skinny Pete spinoff, but will be interested in this.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
I would have preferred a Badger and Skinny Pete spinoff, but will be interested in this.

That could still happen.  How many spinoffs did "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and "All in the Family" spawn?
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »
Guys, arguably the greatest show of all time or easily the greatest show of all time?

I honestly don't even know what it is.

I've heard the name, but zero idea what it's about / when it's on / where, etc.

I'll take Cheers if forced to watch fiction.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
I hadn't watched the show until about 2 months ago, then just went on a marathon watching binge. 

Awesome show.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »
For those of you who have seen the whole series to date, jimmy fallon did a great parody sketch called "joking bad" recently which just nailed some of the characters.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 04:36:09 PM »
For those of you who have seen the whole series to date, jimmy fallon did a great parody sketch called "joking bad" recently which just nailed some of the characters.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/09/12/joking_bad_jimmy_fallon_s_breaking_bad_parody_is_epic_has_jay_leno_aaron.html
Have some patience, FFS.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 04:51:04 PM »
I hadn't watched the show until about 2 months ago, then just went on a marathon watching binge.  

Awesome show.

Same here.  Never watched the show until friends and relatives recommended it about a month ago.  Watched a couple episodes on Netflix and got hooked before I realized they were on Season 5.  Got all caught up in 10 days.

BTW, "Saul"  (Bob Odenkirk) is from Naperville, IL.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:04:52 PM by mr.MUskie »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »
I honestly don't even know what it is.

I've heard the name, but zero idea what it's about / when it's on / where, etc.

I'll take Cheers if forced to watch fiction.

I'm not a big fiction guy myself, but this show is def worth watching.  There's only three episodes left in the entire series (hence the spin-off).  It's an AMC show, but really owes its popularity to Netflix.

In a word, this high school chemistry school teacher gets cancer and starts making/selling meth to collect money to pay his bills and provide for his family's future.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 07:04:01 AM »
As big a fan as anyone but I'm not that high on this spinoff.

It's a prequel, about how Saul became Saul before he met Walter White.  And it's supposed to be a comedy.

Frankly this doesn't sound that interesting and maybe explains why AMC dragged their feet so long in picking it up. (AMC was pitched on this idea months go but only agreed to it last week, and only after another network was ready to agree.)

I'll watch it but I'm not holding my breath.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:55:46 AM »
As big a fan as anyone but I'm not that high on this spinoff.

It's a prequel, about how Saul became Saul before he met Walter White.  And it's supposed to be a comedy.

Frankly this doesn't sound that interesting and maybe explains why AMC dragged their feet so long in picking it up. (AMC was pitched on this idea months go but only agreed to it last week, and only after another network was ready to agree.)

I'll watch it but I'm not holding my breath.

+1, this feels like the "Joey" spinoff of "Friends"

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »
Still think "24" is way better. Jack Bower tops them all. The story line was better and unpredictable.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »
Still think "24" is way better. Jack Bower tops them all. The story line was better and unpredictable.

If 24 was anything, it was predictable especially every action scene.

Additionally, Walter White the character is much more complex and engaging that Jack Bauer could ever been due to his 'do right' role.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed 24, but not really comparable.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:19:59 PM by PTM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »
If 24 was anything, it was predictable especially every action scene.

Additionally, Walter White the character is much more complex and engaging that Jack Bauer could ever been due to his 'do right' role.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed 24, but not really comparable.

+1

24 was a good show, but this season of Breaking Bad might be the best season of television in history.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Now that Breaking Bad is coming to an end I'm glad Walking Dead is starting up again!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
Better Call Saul sounds like an awful idea. I love Bob Odenkirk and the between-season shorts with Saul as the main character were awesome, but it's not a show in and of itself.

What has been the toughest bit for me about this is watching Dexter and Breaking Bad both end. Early on, Dexter was in my opinion some of the greatest television in history. It really hit its height with John Lithgow as the Season 4 villain, but started to fall off starkly with Season 6. This season of Dexter has been tough to watch and way too predictable.

At the same time, Breaking Bad gets better every week. I would be hard pressed to name any better show. Firefly had the potential but was poorly marketed and pulled way too soon. I love watching Breaking Bad right now, but wish they would let it go. This show is going out triumphant. It's funny...the more Walter White has transformed to darkness, the better Breaking Bad has become, while Dexter Morgan's efforts to become the good guy have only made Dexter a less watchable show.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 03:14:45 PM »

there are only so many times the Jack Bauer could "save the world" and still be believable and those were used up in seasons 1 & 2

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
Better Call Saul sounds like an awful idea. I love Bob Odenkirk and the between-season shorts with Saul as the main character were awesome, but it's not a show in and of itself.

What has been the toughest bit for me about this is watching Dexter and Breaking Bad both end. Early on, Dexter was in my opinion some of the greatest television in history. It really hit its height with John Lithgow as the Season 4 villain, but started to fall off starkly with Season 6. This season of Dexter has been tough to watch and way too predictable.

At the same time, Breaking Bad gets better every week. I would be hard pressed to name any better show. Firefly had the potential but was poorly marketed and pulled way too soon. I love watching Breaking Bad right now, but wish they would let it go. This show is going out triumphant. It's funny...the more Walter White has transformed to darkness, the better Breaking Bad has become, while Dexter Morgan's efforts to become the good guy have only made Dexter a less watchable show.

Agree 100%.

Dexter was a great show (and I think you pretty much nailed when it jumped the shark, right after season 4), but is almost unwatchable this season. Its predictable and repetitive. I don't even really care anymore, I just watch it because I've come this far and its almost over.

Breaking bad started off slow but by season 3 it was the best thing on television and has been getting better ever since.

Also agree the spinoff is a terrible idea. I'd rather see a Gus Fring prequel.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:44:27 PM by Bleuteaux »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »

Now that would be an excellent idea.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
Ray Donovan

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »
In semi-related news, AMC is starting a spin-off of Walking Dead in 2015 focusing on another group of survivors without having to follow the comic boom storyline.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brandx

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 05:49:57 PM »
Agree 100%.

Dexter was a great show (and I think you pretty much nailed when it jumped the shark, right after season 4), but is almost unwatchable this season. Its predictable and repetitive. I don't even really care anymore, I just watch it because I've come this far and its almost over.

Breaking bad started off slow but by season 3 it was the best thing on television and has been getting better ever since.

I echo your thoughts on Dexter.

Never watched any of these series until last year when I got Netflix. Didn't realize there was this quality of shows out there. There is nothing I watch on network TV except sports. Last interesting network show was NYPD Blue.

But with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Rescue Me, and Sons of Anarchy - there is real quality work going on. The Shield was the best - absolutely brilliant - though BB and Mad Men come close.

I think CBS tried to emulate that with Under the Dome, but I'll wait for it to appear on Netflix to watch it.

But the writing and creativity seem to be concentrated in this area now and I don't see that changing. Add in the original content on HBO and Showtime and there is no reason to ever have to stoop to network TV again.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »

Never watched any of these series until last year when I got Netflix. Didn't realize there was this quality of shows out there. There is nothing I watch on network TV except sports. Last interesting network show was NYPD Blue.

But with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Rescue Me, and Sons of Anarchy - there is real quality work going on. The Shield was the best - absolutely brilliant - though BB and Mad Men come close.

I think CBS tried to emulate that with Under the Dome, but I'll wait for it to appear on Netflix to watch it.

But the writing and creativity seem to be concentrated in this area now and I don't see that changing. Add in the original content on HBO and Showtime and there is no reason to ever have to stoop to network TV again.

Man you hit the nail on the head.  Though I think Mad Men and Dexter are definitely past their prime.  Also heard that the Wire is in that upper echelon of great shows.

And 24 is definitely a great show, but sheesh how many times is the guy's daughter going to get kidnapped?  Comparing it to breaking bad is, well, not even close to say the least.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »

Agree. Game of thrones and boardwalk empire are also great, but not Breaking Bad great

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 08:59:25 PM »
Ray Donovan

Couldn't keep my interest, gave it a shot