[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: News Banner  (Read 13533 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: News Banner
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
When I posted that "thanks Junior, Trent" it was on Senior night, singled out for celebrating "their" day.

Are thanks due to the entire team?  Of course.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 08:32:43 AM »
If that's the case, it's really too bad.  Buzz recruited him; he knew what he was getting.  Few people on here love Buzz more than me but I'm with Vander.  There's gold in them thar hills.  Even if he ends up making 100K in Slovenia, that's not bad. 

Just because it's my dream to see MU in the Final Four, doesn't mean it's Vander's.  Cut the kid a break.  He's trying to earn some bread, I bet Al would respect that.

Solid post. The voice of reason.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
If that's the case, it's really too bad.  Buzz recruited him; he knew what he was getting.  Few people on here love Buzz more than me but I'm with Vander.  There's gold in them thar hills.  Even if he ends up making 100K in Slovenia, that's not bad. 

Just because it's my dream to see MU in the Final Four, doesn't mean it's Vander's.  Cut the kid a break.  He's trying to earn some bread, I bet Al would respect that.

Al most oft repeated mantra to his players? "Use basketball, don't let it use you." He encouraged Chones to leave early and take the guaranteed millions playing pro ball in the USA, but giving up a degree for short money in Slovenia? That's exactly the kind of thing he was warning against.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »
Thank you, Vander. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and hope that one day you reach the League.

There. He was thanked in this thread.

But if he DOES graduate from MU, I think MUScoop should have a congratulatory banner for him.

Loyalty does have its rewards.
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »
Al most oft repeated mantra to his players? "Use basketball, don't let it use you." He encouraged Chones to leave early and take the guaranteed millions playing pro ball in the USA, but giving up a degree for short money in Slovenia? That's exactly the kind of thing he was warning against.

Buzz has talked about turning these boys into men, shaping their character, working as a team, doing what's right, etc.  It's painfully obvious that Buzz went above and beyond - even for Buzz - to help Vander mature over the past few years into a better player, a better teammate, and a better person.  I can't blame Buzz for feeling stung on this one.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 10:03:41 AM »
We should honor all fallen (departed) soldiers on the great season whether departing voluntary or not. Thanks Vander, Jamal, Junior, and Trent.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:59 AM »
We should honor all fallen (departed) soldiers on the great season whether departing voluntary or not. Thanks Vander, Jamal, Junior, and Trent.

What about Garrett?
Bring back FFP!!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 10:34:06 AM »

Okay, I am usually not super-sensitive about this type of thing, but calling college basketball players who leave school "fallen soldiers" is not a word choice I would have made, especially when you do it on 9/11.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:37:42 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »
Okay, I am usually not super-sensitive about this type of thing, but calling college basketball players who leave school "fallen soldiers" is not a word choice I would have made, especially when you do it on 9/11.

Your comment is a fallen soldier.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
Your comment is a fallen soldier.
  Huh?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »
I didn't post in here. And neither did the Ballcrusher...

Whoops, don't know why I thought you were OP. My apologies.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 11:25:53 AM »
What about Garrett?

Thought he was still with the team.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »

Mr. Tap...he can always come back and get the degree.  A euro career can be a great way to start a young professional life.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2013, 07:20:35 PM »
Nobody is concerned about the fact we're 58 days away from the first game and we don't have a countdown yet?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2013, 08:07:05 PM »
Mr. Tap...he can always come back and get the degree.  A euro career can be a great way to start a young professional life.

Something tells me he isn't coming back for that degree any time in the next few decades.  Happy to be proven wrong on this. 

Another year in school and an almost certain draftee is also a great way to start a young professional life.....some even suggesting a first round draftee. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:20 PM »

True, he could return on his own dime with no support system (tutors,study halls, etc) but I think that's unlikely given Vander's disinterest in school. And even if he comes back, that $100,000 Slovenian head start will be long gone before he gets his degree.

If it's millions, take the money. Giving up the degree for short money? Not smart.

feedback