[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013-14 college football thread  (Read 21991 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
2013-14 college football thread
« on: August 26, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »
I know that were not big fans of college football here because of all the conference realignment but its almost time for the season. I see Bama running away with the National Championship. I have a feeling it wont even be close. Notre Dame comes back town to earth to a 7 or 8 win team and I think the B1G championship game will be Ohio St. vs Northwestern. Before you all go crazy about NU being there they return all their skill players from a 10 win season and in their 3 lossesthey a had a lead each time in the 4th quarter. Watch out for the Cats.

tower912

• All American
Re: 2013-14 college football thread
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:46:48 PM »
I am contemplating my second complete boycott in 3 years.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »
Northwestern's schedule is much more difficult.  They drop @Penn State and Indiana from their "crossover games," and add Ohio State and @Wisconsin.  Now they have to go to Nebraska, but they do get UM and MSU at home.  Now it wouldn't unheard of for them to win the division, but UM, MSU and NU are all pretty good teams.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »
SEC last seven years.  Don't know about Bama running away with it because of Georgia, LSU, South Carolina and even Florida all loaded. 

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
If Louisville and Ohio St are both undefeated and Bama has one lose do you screw L'ville and the championship is OSU vs Bama or what happens? Should be interesting because I can see both OSU and L'ville running the table.
Bring back FFP!!!

augoman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »
I love the optimism relative to NU but don't feel it myself.  I'm looking forward to the games and love that they have (so far) no loss of players due to injury.  With the returning talent they should be very competitive..., maybe I'll be surprised.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »
I predict UW will play and lose in the Rose Bowl.

Something about history and it repeating leads me to this again and again and again.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »
Ugh, I hate Urban Meyer.

Just an awful human.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »
Ugh, I hate Urban Meyer.

Just an awful human.

That may be the case, but I wanted to share this:

http://starbeacon.com/localsports/x343677037/Buskirk-springing-ahead?keyword=topstory

John("Buzz") ultimately ended up dying in 2009, but was good friends with my aunt and uncle in Geneva, Ohio.  Meyer did some very cool things for John in 2008 when he learned of his illness.  This is just one story, but many never made the press that year.

Another from the national title game  http://starbeacon.com/localsports/x343696425/Meyer-to-honor-courageous-Buskirk-tonight

John died a few days later   http://starbeacon.com/local/x343696999/In-memory-of-JOHN-BUSKIRK

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
I refuse to watch it.  The Manziel case was ridiculous.  Kid is getting paid, and the NCAA makes a sweetheart deal agreeing to a 1/2 game suspension and agreeing to stop pursing any investigations and he is immune from future punishments for the current issues.

If that was any other school and not a Heisman candidate they would be done for the year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
I refuse to watch it.  The Manziel case was ridiculous.  Kid is getting paid, and the NCAA makes a sweetheart deal agreeing to a 1/2 game suspension and agreeing to stop pursing any investigations and he is immune from future punishments for the current issues.

If that was any other school and not a Heisman candidate they would be done for the year.

They had no proof.  But whatever...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »

There's no proof, not much you can do if there is no proof.  If proof comes out, the NCAA will hit them harder and came out and said so.  What else are they supposed to do?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 09:09:08 PM »

They had no proof.  But whatever...

The guy who had him sign the signatures admitted to ESPN that he paid the guy.  He then said he would not cooperate with the NCAA.  In other cases the NCAA said that if they have evidence to suggest someone violated rules and individuals involved in the case do not cooperate (i.e. the guys paying the athletes) they would assume guilt (Miami).  What makes this case any different.

There was plenty of evidence. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 10:08:50 PM »
The guy who had him sign the signatures admitted to ESPN that he paid the guy.  He then said he would not cooperate with the NCAA.  In other cases the NCAA said that if they have evidence to suggest someone violated rules and individuals involved in the case do not cooperate (i.e. the guys paying the athletes) they would assume guilt (Miami).  What makes this case any different.

Mostly because the case against Miami has been a legal and PR nightmare.

Look, do I think he took money?  Probably.  I honestly don't really care.  College football is a fun, flawed sport.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 10:16:14 PM »

Look, do I think he took money?  Probably.  I honestly don't really care.  College football is a fun, flawed sport.

How about the hand gestures he was making in celebration today? What a prick
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
How about the hand gestures he was making in celebration today? What a prick

I loved it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 12:32:21 AM »

Also, as far as I understand signing autographs for the sole purpose of them being sold (whether you profit from it or not) is a violation of NCAA rules.  There is not doubt he is guilty there.

Besides that, college football is about as dirty as it gets and the whole system is a mockery of college education.  For these additional reasons I cannot follow it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 06:54:14 AM »
Also, as far as I understand signing autographs for the sole purpose of them being sold (whether you profit from it or not) is a violation of NCAA rules.  There is not doubt he is guilty there.

Besides that, college football is about as dirty as it gets and the whole system is a mockery of college education.  For these additional reasons I cannot follow it.

70% of college football D1 athletes graduate...75% for basketball.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8551210/ncaa-graduation-rates-improving-football-basketball

Misplaced outrage.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 09:38:09 AM »

There was plenty of evidence. 

Is there proof he was paid?  One guy admitted it, that's not enough.  Is there a cashed check?  One woman admitted she was raped by a bunch of Duke LaCrosse players.....get the idea?  It takes more than one person saying something.

Doesn't mean he didn't do it, but you need some proof. 

The Miami case is so much deeper than this, not even close to a comparison.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »

70% of college football D1 athletes graduate...75% for basketball.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8551210/ncaa-graduation-rates-improving-football-basketball

Misplaced outrage.

No it is not misplaced outrage.  Many athletes in football particularly are not students.  The trend now is for the stars to take all their classes by internet (where they often don't even take the classes), others (see UNC) take manufactured classes or manufactured degrees (Life Science Communication) to retain eligibility.  If you interact with football players regularly, you will find that greater than 50% of them have no business being in college, they need to retake middle school first (this is more common in the south and SEC). 

Citing graduation rates only amplifies the problem as schools are now graduating the students anyway to maintain their APR.

More importantly, the majority of football schools are syphoning money away from academic programs to maintain a failing football team.  That is not part of the academic mission. 

You like football, congratulations, enjoy it.  That doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to defend it.

Basketball at some Universities is the same.  I tend to dislike them because of it. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »
Is there proof he was paid?  One guy admitted it, that's not enough.  Is there a cashed check?  One woman admitted she was raped by a bunch of Duke LaCrosse players.....get the idea?  It takes more than one person saying something.

Doesn't mean he didn't do it, but you need some proof. 

The Miami case is so much deeper than this, not even close to a comparison.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I will point out that there is a lot more evidence out there.  He is currently driving a black mercedes.  Initial reports were that his father didn't even know where his kid got the money for it, later those statements magically changed.  He was reportedly paid for signing autographs to buy rims for his car.  Shortly after signing the autographs, rims appeared on his car.  (Note just the act of signing those autographs is a violation).  If this was Joe Schmoe at San Diego State University they would have been done for the year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 12:05:31 PM »
No it is not misplaced outrage.  Many athletes in football particularly are not students.  The trend now is for the stars to take all their classes by internet (where they often don't even take the classes), others (see UNC) take manufactured classes or manufactured degrees (Life Science Communication) to retain eligibility.  If you interact with football players regularly, you will find that greater than 50% of them have no business being in college, they need to retake middle school first (this is more common in the south and SEC). 

Citing graduation rates only amplifies the problem as schools are now graduating the students anyway to maintain their APR.

More importantly, the majority of football schools are syphoning money away from academic programs to maintain a failing football team.  That is not part of the academic mission. 

You like football, congratulations, enjoy it.  That doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to defend it.

Basketball at some Universities is the same.  I tend to dislike them because of it. 

It seems like you have developed quite the narrative to defend your POV.  Congratulations.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »

It seems like you have developed quite the narrative to defend your POV.  Congratulations.

It is all factual.  That doesn't mean others can't enjoy it, by all means do so.  It is sufficient to bother me and take away from any of the enjoyment though.  No fault either way.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree.  I will point out that there is a lot more evidence out there.  He is currently driving a black mercedes.  Initial reports were that his father didn't even know where his kid got the money for it, later those statements magically changed.  He was reportedly paid for signing autographs to buy rims for his car.  Shortly after signing the autographs, rims appeared on his car.  (Note just the act of signing those autographs is a violation).  If this was Joe Schmoe at San Diego State University they would have been done for the year.

Do you know about Johnny Manziel's background?  The family is LOADED with cash...absolutely loaded.  Oil money that goes back several generations.  For him to drive a mercedes is no big deal, that family is swimming in money.

So I don't think your premise is right when you don't even have the facts straight on this.  Joe Schmoe at SDSU may not have the money background that Johnny Manziel does, and that is hugely important.

This might help a bit, hardly new news but a recent article getting into the family's wealth.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/aggies/article/Manziel-family-was-larger-than-life-long-before-4723092.php

This is also important because the kid doesn't need the money.  Getting a few thousand dollars to sign autographs...why?  He doesn't need it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:48:15 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
Do you know about Johnny Manziel's background?  The family is LOADED with cash...absolutely loaded.  Oil money that goes back several generations.  For him to drive a mercedes is no big deal, that family is swimming in money.

So I don't think your premise is right when you don't even have the facts straight on this.  Joe Schmoe at SDSU may not have the money background that Johnny Manziel does, and that is hugely important.

This might help a bit, hardly new news but a recent article getting into the family's wealth.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/aggies/article/Manziel-family-was-larger-than-life-long-before-4723092.php

This is also important because the kid doesn't need the money.  Getting a few thousand dollars to sign autographs...why?  He doesn't need it.

I'm well aware of his families wealth, but when the father doesn't know where you get a $50k car from that is suspicious.  To answer the why, because he can, kid is out of control.