[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013-14 college football thread  (Read 21995 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2013-14 college football thread
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »
You do realize Marquette University offers online courses...right?

http://www.marquette.edu/cps/adult_degrees_org_online.shtml

http://www.marquette.edu/mucentral/registrar/snapshot/summer13/ss.php?s=index&by=online

Imagine being Manziel at TAMU going to class every day, being mugged by students, gawkers, etc...being analyzed in class at a different level than anyone else.  Can't blame him for wanting to take some classes online.  Many students are doing it now, including at MU, Harvard, Stanford, etc.  Nothing wrong with it.

Historically, college football players have done better than college basketball players academically.  Only a few road games, much less school missed (one day a week maximum), and the season covers only one semester, not two like college hoops. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »
I'm well aware of his families wealth, but when the father doesn't know where you get a $50k car from that is suspicious.  To answer the why, because he can, kid is out of control.

?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-(

His father is the one that bought the car for him.  So I don't understand your comment at all.

Paragraph one.  http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 01:19:42 PM »
?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-(

His father is the one that bought the car for him.  So I don't understand your comment at all.

Paragraph one.  http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

The father was interviewed very early on (articles throughout the South/SEC country) that he had no idea where he got the car from.  Later he said he bought the car.  Hence the suspicion.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »
The father was interviewed very early on (articles throughout the South/SEC country) that he had no idea where he got the car from.  Later he said he bought the car.  Hence the suspicion.

Can you post some of those articles. I'd just be curious...maybe they were wrong...you know, like identifying the wrong killer for Mr. Lane that you brought up the other day. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
Can you post some of those articles. I'd just be curious...maybe they were wrong...you know, like identifying the wrong killer for Mr. Lane that you brought up the other day. 

Its possible that the articles are wrong.  But I have yet to meet a single person, including A&M fans that believes that Manziel wasn't taking money.  A universal consensus is enough for me.  If you think otherwise, fine, I have no problem with this.  It is enough hypocrisy for me personally.  That is it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
On a side note. Northwestern 1-0. With their starting QB and RB not playing most of the game due to injury.

brandx

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 04:11:25 PM »
Many athletes in football particularly are not students.  The trend now is for the stars to take all their classes by internet (where they often don't even take the classes), others (see UNC) take manufactured classes or manufactured degrees (Life Science Communication) to retain eligibility. 

No - the trend now is that all schools offer some internet classes to all students. But you say different to support your argument.

brandx

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »
Its possible that the articles are wrong.  But I have yet to meet a single person, including A&M fans that believes that Manziel wasn't taking money.  A universal consensus is enough for me.

Kinda like WMDs.

Nice to hear that you have no qualms about condemning someone without actual proof.

brandx

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »
On a side note. Northwestern 1-0. With their starting QB and RB not playing most of the game due to injury.

And gave up 30 points to the worst team in the Pac-12 who start a true freshman at QB..

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 05:48:40 PM »
No - the trend now is that all schools offer some internet classes to all students. But you say different to support your argument.

No, your read different to attack my statement.  Yes all schools offer some internet classes to all students to allow commuters easier access to an education. They are not designed for students who live on campus to avoid actually having to attend classes and skirt around NCAA requirements.  Frankly, though I am against it in both cases.  I think it, whether for athletes or commuters, dilutes the value of education, which is an ongoing issue in this country.

I do regret deterring this thread from a discussion of football.  I had meant this as a one statement, I will protest football type of thing that has now got drawn out.  In the interests of preserving this thread as a discussion of this football season. I will not post again on this issue. 

brandx

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
Nothing wrong with differing opinions cuz that's all they are. I just try to avoid all the off-field stuff.

Do I wish it didn't go on? Sure - but it does so I just watch what happens on the field.

You're absolutely right that a lot of student-athletes are really just athletes, but I don't think that will change with all the money thrown at college sports.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »
SEC last seven years.  Don't know about Bama running away with it because of Georgia, LSU, South Carolina and even Florida all loaded. 
Too bad Bama doesn't play UGA, SC or Florida.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 09:51:03 PM »
As I said earlier, they look good on paper with no injuries so far.  Happy to see the cats survive a tough road opener shorthanded.  I have to miss the first two home games (syracuse and western mich) but looking forward to some thrillers (as usual) again this year.

brandx

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »
As I said earlier, they look good on paper with no injuries so far.  Happy to see the cats survive a tough road opener shorthanded.  I have to miss the first two home games (syracuse and western mich) but looking forward to some thrillers (as usual) again this year.

Love to see the 'Cats do well - but don't know if they're going to be as good as expected. Hoping I'm wrong.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »
Its possible that the articles are wrong.  But I have yet to meet a single person, including A&M fans that believes that Manziel wasn't taking money.  A universal consensus is enough for me.  If you think otherwise, fine, I have no problem with this.  It is enough hypocrisy for me personally.  That is it.

He may very well have taken it, but just because people you have met say it isn't really saying a whole lot.  He doesn't need the money, that's for sure.  He does have a hot head, so who knows.  At the end of the day, the NCAA needs some proof to levy punishment and there isn't any concrete proof...maybe some turns up.  There were a lot of Wisconsin fans that said MU players used to be paid in the 1970's....maybe....I just need a bit more.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
But why did the NCAA give them an out? They had no proof but a ton of leverage if they believe he took the money. Put it on Johnny Football and the University to police themselves and continue to investigate. Would TAM not play him knowing he could cost them the season if they found evidence? Force him to come clean or say the whole season is in jeopardy and you will be the fall guy for forcing a top ten to be ruled ineligible halfway through the season. They may never catch him but its better than giving a meaningless half game suspension that reeked of self-interest since it made more people watch the game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
But why did the NCAA give them an out? They had no proof but a ton of leverage if they believe he took the money. Put it on Johnny Football and the University to police themselves and continue to investigate. Would TAM not play him knowing he could cost them the season if they found evidence? Force him to come clean or say the whole season is in jeopardy and you will be the fall guy for forcing a top ten to be ruled ineligible halfway through the season. They may never catch him but its better than giving a meaningless half game suspension that reeked of self-interest since it made more people watch the game.

It sounds like you are saying come clean or else...what if there was nothing to come clean on? 

From what I read, one autograph dealer claimed he paid him.  There should be proof that he paid him, the NCAA interviewed this person and no proof was provided. 

On the Mercedes thing, I cannot find any article that shows jr bought the car....plenty of innuendo from fans, but nothing that I can find.  Maybe its there, but Yahoo, ESPN, etc aren't saying that.  Yahoo has a reputation for going hard after these things, so I would expect if he did they wouldn't be shy about it.  Or maybe they are still digging for evidence, I don't know.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »

Where was this reported? Can you provide a link?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
It sounds like you are saying come clean or else...what if there was nothing to come clean on? 

From what I read, one autograph dealer claimed he paid him.  There should be proof that he paid him, the NCAA interviewed this person and no proof was provided. 

On the Mercedes thing, I cannot find any article that shows jr bought the car....plenty of innuendo from fans, but nothing that I can find.  Maybe its there, but Yahoo, ESPN, etc aren't saying that.  Yahoo has a reputation for going hard after these things, so I would expect if he did they wouldn't be shy about it.  Or maybe they are still digging for evidence, I don't know.

Then the school and the player would never be worried. The "or else" only applies if they did something that would make him ineligible. Not sure why they accepted the half suspension if he did nothing wrong.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »
Then the school and the player would never be worried. The "or else" only applies if they did something that would make him ineligible. Not sure why they accepted the half suspension if he did nothing wrong.

Texas A&M took it but Manziel didn't want to.  My guess is that they did it because they didn't want something to affect them retroactively when they really don't know what happened.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
I agree, Skink, they simply want it behind them.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2013, 12:15:12 AM »
I wouldn't watch college football. I hate it; mostly all the lopsided scores to start the season.

But with that said, I do wish Marquette had a football team (don't tell me why they shouldn't, I know all the arguments). I miss that atmosphere of football games in high school even though my high school team just won its first game in two and a half year two nights ago. The atmosphere of a college football game is something that everyone should experience.

Part of me hating it is perhaps jealousy mixed in with the fact that half the kids are crooks and have no desire to go to school or even belong in said school in the first place. I won't watch a single game. And we'll see where all the "Notre Dame fans" will be after this year.

Bama will roll and it'll be an all SEC championship game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2013, 12:35:28 AM »
I wouldn't watch college football. I hate it; mostly all the lopsided scores to start the season.

But with that said, I do wish Marquette had a football team (don't tell me why they shouldn't, I know all the arguments). I miss that atmosphere of football games in high school even though my high school team just won its first game in two and a half year two nights ago. The atmosphere of a college football game is something that everyone should experience.

Part of me hating it is perhaps jealousy mixed in with the fact that half the kids are crooks and have no desire to go to school or even belong in said school in the first place. I won't watch a single game. And we'll see where all the "Notre Dame fans" will be after this year.

Bama will roll and it'll be an all SEC championship game.

Not sure why Clemson decided to play at South Carolina to end their season.  Had they lost to Georgia, they weren't going to the National Championship regardless of what they did the rest of the year.  After beating Georgia, all they had to do was beat Florida State to go undefeated in the joke of an ACC and they're in the National Championship, having beaten LSU in their bowl game last year and Georgia to open the season.  They really screwed themselves over there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2013, 09:09:51 AM »
Not sure why Clemson decided to play at South Carolina to end their season.  Had they lost to Georgia, they weren't going to the National Championship regardless of what they did the rest of the year.  After beating Georgia, all they had to do was beat Florida State to go undefeated in the joke of an ACC and they're in the National Championship, having beaten LSU in their bowl game last year and Georgia to open the season.  They really screwed themselves over there.

Don't get ahead of yourself on Clemson.  They will undoubtedly lose to Wake Forest or some other bottom feeder ACC school.  Just like they do every year.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »

Isn't Clemson vs South Carolina the big state rivalry game?  When is it normally played?