[June 10, 2024, 10:30:14 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Collegiate Merchandise Royalties Rankings  (Read 10415 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Collegiate Merchandise Royalties Rankings
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »
Marquette not in top 75. SEC dominated top 10. UT #1 for 8th straight year

Notables:
Georgetown: 59
Gonzaga: 74
Wiscy: 13
Louisville: 25
Notre Dame: 3

Thoughts?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Collegiate Merchandise Royalties Rankings
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:03:28 PM »
Football.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
Football.

Really? Georgetown, gonzaga...even Louisville?

No.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »
I guarantee the top 20 are all football schools.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »
I think this partially speaks to how hard it is to buy anything MU outside of the spirit shop. This is MU's own doing. They want the monopoly.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:38:20 PM by Bleuteaux »

ResidentBrown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
Dude, look at the overall. You found the three that the OP highlighted, which are basketball schools. Out of the WHOLE top 75, those are three schools that made the list with basketball as their flagship revenue sport. Since there is no link, I can't check, but I assume North Carolina, Kentucky, Duke, Arizona, Kansas, Syracuse, Indiana, and UConn are probably on that list too. However the list is primarily made of football schools. Thus the SEC, Notre Dame being in the top ten. Football money > Basketball money (for the schools with financially viable football programs). I would guess that even a mid-tier football school like Ole Miss or Arkansas can out merchandize a great basketball school like Arizona or Syracuse.  

No.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:41:55 PM by ResidentBrown »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 03:40:06 PM »
I guarantee the top 20 are all football schools.

Yep.  And even among the football-basketball schools there, the only "hoops-first" schools in the top 20 are Kentucky (5) and UNC (9).  The rest of the top 20 are not only schools that have football, but schools where football clearly takes precedence over basketball.

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »
Marquette not in top 75. SEC dominated top 10. UT #1 for 8th straight year

Notables:
Georgetown: 59
Gonzaga: 74
Wiscy: 13
Louisville: 25
Notre Dame: 3

Thoughts?
My thoughts? It doesn't mean squat. And here's why:

Here is his source: http://www.clc.com/News/Rankings-Annual-2012-13.aspx

Why isn't Marquette in the top 75? Because Marquette isn't represented by the CLC, and this is a ranking of top-selling CLC clients: http://www.clc.com/Clients.aspx

A few other schools who are not on the list of CLC clients: Ohio State, Indiana, Kansas State, Michigan State, Iowa, Iowa State, USC, Creighton, Xavier, Butler, DePaul, Seton Hall, St. John's, the list goes on and on. They have about 200 clients, which leaves out almost half of Division I schools (assuming all 200 are D-I).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:49:39 PM by IL Warrior »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »

Why isn't Marquette in the top 75? Because Marquette isn't represented by the CLC, and this is a ranking of top-selling CLC clients: http://www.clc.com/Clients.aspx

A few other schools who are not on the list of CLC clients: IU, K-State, MSU, Iowa, Iowa State, USC, Creighton, Xavier, Butler, DePaul, Seton Hall, St. John's, the list goes on and on. They have about 200 clients, which leaves out almost half of Division I schools (assuming all 200 are D-I).

Good catch.  I originally missed this statement:  "These rankings represent royalties reported July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 on all collegiate merchandise sold on behalf of CLC-represented institutions."  That's a pretty big limitation, given the high-profile schools that aren't on the list.

Still, even of the schools on the list, it's pretty clear that football dwarfs basketball in terms of merchandise sales.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:54:25 PM by GooooMarquette »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »

A few other schools who are not on the list of CLC clients: Ohio State, Indiana, Kansas State, Michigan State, Iowa, Iowa State, USC, Creighton, Xavier, Butler, DePaul, Seton Hall, St. John's, the list goes on and on. They have about 200 clients, which leaves out almost half of Division I schools (assuming all 200 are D-I).

I was trying to find the bias, I noticed some missing universities also and inclusion of some that clearly aren't out earning some of the schools on your list above or even MU, for instance.

Louisianna Lafayette coming in at 70
and Texas State @ san marcos coming in at 68.

Was thinking that some may just not report completely, but your catch on it being only CLC clients is a good one.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 04:07:54 PM »

Thanks, that's basically what I was wondering about.

As the poster said above, Marquette makes it SO freaking hard to buy anything outside of the spirit shop.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 04:10:22 PM »
Okay, old white lady talking.....

Aren't some of those team clothes more popular than others because they are worn by, shall I say, people with influence on popular culture?

For example, demand for clothing with the '80's era Brewer logo on it exploded when a couple of hip hop stars wore them in their videos.
Have some patience, FFS.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »
Football is interesting because the jerseys look alright in public and there's also 80k fans needing then for games. Ill wear a football jersey to a sport bar but I feel like an idiot wearing a basketball one.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »
I'd say hockey jerseys are 1b to football jerseys in terms of public acceptance of an adult wearing one in public.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »
Well, if Marquette as a University ever decides to make licensing revenue a priority, LW is the guy that should be be able to make it happen.  Sports licensing was his area of practice as a private attorney.
Have some patience, FFS.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
Football is interesting because the jerseys look alright in public and there's also 80k fans needing then for games. Ill wear a football jersey to a sport bar but I feel like an idiot wearing a basketball one.

This is the exact reason some NBA teams are beginning to experiement with sleeved jerseys.  The players might hate it, but the thought is that more people would buy it (and wear it).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 06:37:56 PM »
If Marquette wanted to score some serious bread, bring back the Warriors nickname and the merchandise would explode off the shelf.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 06:52:22 PM »
If Marquette wanted to score some serious bread, bring back the Warriors nickname and the merchandise would explode off the shelf.

You must be reading my mind, Doc. They wouldn't even have to get creative (God forbid) - just produce new gear that mimics the stuff that made MU stand out back in the day.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »
This is the exact reason some NBA teams are beginning to experiement with sleeved jerseys.  The players might hate it, but the thought is that more people would buy it (and wear it).

No way.

Picture a beer belly under that jersey.

Fail.
SS Marquette

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »

No.

Ask Florida if Loserville has a football team.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »

Can't believe it took this long for someone to say, but yeah.  It's a nice way of limiting revenue potential when you can't put your nickname or mascot on any merchandise because it won't sell.

boyonthedock

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 11:58:29 PM »
And I don't like the new mascot logo at all. The angular bird one from before was much better in my opinion. However, our MU is a pretty darn good looking logo.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »

I think you'd be surprised how few people under 35 care about the Warriors nickname. And that the demographic that buys sports clothing.
We Are Marquette

Archie

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »
The Spirit Shop selection is pathetic online, and especially in person. Whoever is selecting/designing the items is doing a terrible job. When there about a year ago I was talking to a coupe student clerks and they agreed that the selection was horrible.

I do not live in the Midwest. I try to carry the flag in my part of the country for MU through my wardrobe but boy, do they make it difficult. Out of style, limited selection and just plain ugly stuff.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »
I think you'd be surprised how few people under 35 care about the Warriors nickname. And that the demographic that buys sports clothing.

Well, by the numbers that demographic is currently avoiding Marquette's Golden Eagle merchandise like the plague. Maybe Warrior gear that incorporates some of the awesome uniform design that was part of that era falls equally flat, but I doubt it.